[Updated] List of major problems in S4

Search This thread

plasmastate

Sep 5, 2012
Hi guys.
I am going to list the common issues with my i9500.
Got it 2 weeks back and have been testing it thoroughly. Currently on latest ME1 firmware.

1.Overheating

2.Camera Crash
2b. New crash issue: open camera, go to settings, press the mic (sound) button and the camera crashes.

3.Phone turns off all by itself.
(Hapenned twice in two weeks)

4.When the phone is turned on again, the battery levels jumps down to 10-15 percent less of what it was before. It is also displayed in the settings battery status graph.

5.When the volume is set to max during a call through earpiece, the slight vibration made because of the sound emission is felt on the back of the device (in a cheap way) every s4 has this issue.

6.Launcher redraw (Even after updated ME1 firmware but its improved and only seen when doing heavy muktitasking)

7. Screen smearing issue.

8. Slight pinkinsh/purple tone on the lower right half of the screen when the brightness is set to lowest.

9. Flash light less bright than other phones eg nexus or s3

10. Camera Lag when opening
10a. Shutter lag when taking photos

11. Gallery lag when opening

12. Dialer lag

13. Contact app lag

14. When the keyboard is popped out on say a white web page, the screen does a slight brightness adjustment that it almost feels like a screen flicker on low brightness. Then it changes colour tone from reddish to greenish.

15. Notification bar ocassionally stutters when pulled down or pushed back up.

Whoever gets any of these issues please keep confirming or adding any more issues I missed. All these issues are currently present in alot of brand new s4 units worldwide.

Last edited:

DesertHawk

Nov 19, 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Erm, I have come across any of these. Try this to reduce 'lag'

- Open S voice and go in to the S Voice settings and untick 'open via home button'

- Go to developer options and change all the animation/window/transition scales to 0.5x

See how that works. Also exchange it for a different S4 if you have those problems. Are you rooted? If so try stock rooted and see if that was a software issue

~ Taylor_Swift

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD

jim1h

Mar 21, 2011
Shouldn't this thread be called "problems with my s4" I have none of these issues to date.

Oops sorry just realised you are talking about the i9500, if that makes any difference.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Vadrieldur

Jan 30, 2012
The only problem i have so far is camera crash sometimes. Try to update your firmware to ME1.

plasmastate

Sep 5, 2012
Shouldn't this thread be called "problems with my s4" I have none of these issues to date.

Oops sorry just realised you are talking about the i9500, if that makes any difference.

Yes, problems numbered 1,2,3,6,7,8,10,11,12 and 13 are very common here on xda. I wanted to summarize everything in a single thread.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

Dean-xXx

Nov 15, 2012
Dublin
On my i9505 is only 6 and 7.
I'm on the fw which the phone came with (MDM).
Waiting for the next BTU release to flash.

G-XtremE

Dec 31, 2011
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Hi guys.
Got it 2 weeks back and have been testing it thoroughly. Currently on latest ME1 firmware.

1.Overheating

2.Camera Crash

7. Screen smearing issue

Whoever gets any of these issues please keep confirming or adding any more issues I missed. All these issues are currently present in alot of brand new s4 units worldwide.

In the quote section is the list of the issues I'm encountering on my S4 9500 vers. I have to mention that my phone reboots when the camera crashes. Another issue would be the battery life (10-12 hrs with 2 hrs screen time on).

I believe all of these issues are easily solvable via a firmware update. Hurry up Sammy.

azeter

Jan 14, 2005
In the quote section is the list of the issues I'm encountering on my S4 9500 vers. I have to mention that my phone reboots when the camera crashes. Another issue would be the battery life (10-12 hrs with 2 hrs screen time on).

I believe all of these issues are easily solvable via a firmware update. Hurry up Sammy.

Camera crash temporary solution - android booster works for me till now nt a single crash :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4 .

jithendra194

Apr 4, 2012
And there's this new problem I'm experiencing. ....it's like...whenever the keyboard is on and when I pull down the notification bar. .it feels a bit laggy.

Reactions: plasmastate

jboodram

Apr 12, 2013
Hi guys.

1.Overheating

2.Camera Crash

4.When I turn the phone on again, the battery levels jumps down to 10-15 percent less of what it was before. It is also displayed in the settings battery status graph.

5.When the volume is set to max during a call through earpiece, the slight vibration made because of the sound emission is felt on the back of the device (in a cheap way) every s4 has this issue.

6.Launcher redraw (Even after updated ME1 firmware but its improved)

7. Screen smearing issue

8. Slight pinkinsh/purple tone on the lower right half of the screen when the brightness is set to lowest.

12. Dialer lag

13. Contact app lag

14. When the keyboard is popped out on say a white web page, the screen does a slight brightness adjustment that it almost feels like a screen flicker on low brightness. Then it changes colour tone from reddish to greenish.

I have every issue you stated and alot of ppl do and then just dont pay attention to it. Then they deny the fact that it exists.... if I'm on a youtube vid aswell and I decide to search for a video while I'm already watching one, you can see the video change from a red to green tint

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

azeter

Jan 14, 2005
10 million handsets already sold guyzz I feel we r the only unlucky ones wid these issues :banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 .

EuroPK

Jan 27, 2011
Another issue

Hi,

I have a prooblem where my sd card keep unmounting itself... dont know if its the sd card... going to buy a new one to try with.
but meanwhile, anyone else see this?

BR

plasmastate

Sep 5, 2012
And there's this new problem I'm experiencing. ....it's like...whenever the keyboard is on and when I pull down the notification bar. .it feels a bit laggy.

+1. I can confirm. This is exactly what happens. Running stock ME1 firmware.

kangerX

Nov 5, 2011
probably update is just around the corner

Sent from the State where marijuana is not illegal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

1.Overheating

2.Camera Crash
    2b. New crash issue: open camera, go to settings, press the mic (sound) button and the camera crashes.

4.When the phone is turned on again, the battery levels jumps down to 10-15 percent less of what it was before. It is also displayed in the settings battery status graph.

6.Launcher redraw (Even after updated ME1 firmware but its improved and only seen when doing heavy muktitasking)

7. Screen smearing issue.

12. Dialer lag

13. Contact app lag

15. Notification bar ocassionally stutters when pulled down or pushed back up.

Erm, I have come across any of these. Try this to reduce 'lag'

- Open S voice and go in to the S Voice settings and untick 'open via home button'

- Go to developer options and change all the animation/window/transition scales to 0.5x

See how that works. Also exchange it for a different S4 if you have those problems. Are you rooted? If so try stock rooted and see if that was a software issue

~ Taylor_Swift

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD

I have all problems mentioned. I will return my phone... Maybe I'll get a 9505 variant and try again.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

Dude...don't seriously. We are having other issues with our handsets http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258831

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    1.Overheating - Not since I updated to ME1

2.Camera Crash - My camera has not crashed since day 1

(Hapenned twice in two weeks) - Same as #2; Has not happened to me once

4.When I turn the phone on again, the battery levels jumps down to 10-15 percent less of what it was before. It is also displayed in the settings battery status graph. - N/A - Phone has never shut itself down or restarted itself

5.When the volume is set to max during a call through earpiece, the slight vibration made because of the sound emission is felt on the back of the device (in a cheap way) every s4 has this issue. - Honestly have not noticed this at all

6.Launcher redraw (Even after updated ME1 firmware but its improved) - Not noticable to the extent that it bugs me

7. Screen smearing issue - I definitely have this issue - Noticeable a lot when scrolling through wallpapers in Zedge, for example

8. Slight pinkinsh/purple tone on the lower right half of the screen when the brightness is set to lowest. - Any colour tinting /shifting that occurs when on low brightness is evenly distributed, nothing extra on lower right half

9. Flash light less bright than other phones eg nexus or s3 - Flash is more than bright enough

10. Camera Lag when opening - Almost 3 seconds on 1st open, 1/2 second to open every time thereafter - Really not a problem for me

10a. Shutter lag when taking photos - Shutter speed is perfectly acceptable to me (ME1 firmware)

11. Gallery lag when opening - Doesn't lag any more than opening any other app for the first time. Once cached, it's instant.

12. Dialer lag - Same as #11

13. Contact app lag - Same as #11

14. When the keyboard is popped out on say a white web page, the screen does a slight brightness adjustment that it almost feels like a screen flicker on low brightness. Then it changes colour tone from reddish to greenish. - Confirmed, but barely noticeable, and it really doesn't bother me

So there you have it. 3 out of 14 issues for me, and only 1 of them really bothers me (the purple smearing is annoying sometimes), but I'm sure that will be fixed in an update soon anyway.

Some issues bother people more than others. Each to his own, I love my phone! :silly: