Jhinta Kernel for Lilstevie Ubuntu

Search This thread

MrMuffin24

Mar 14, 2012
This is the result I get directly after flashing the kernel Jhinta posted. Would you like me to upload a video showing the kernel being flashed and then uname being run?

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
This is the result I get directly after flashing the kernel Jhinta posted. Would you like me to upload a video showing the kernel being flashed and then uname being run?

doesn't change the fact that the running kernel is my kernel, that I am 100% sure of with that uname -a pic

jozka.1

Apr 9, 2011
MrMuffin24: do you have SBKv2 and do you try org. kernel by jhinta? This can't work.

Initrd must be modified for loop mount and kernelblob by jhinta is greater than partition - you see flash blob (blue line), but it has no effect.

It's right?

Reactions: Jhinta

MrMuffin24

Mar 14, 2012
Yes! It's sbkv2 but not a loop mount, I just dd the rootfs using the method shaola posted. So this can't be done on my TF, sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:

jozka.1

Apr 9, 2011
I've tried compile kernel and boot, but no success.

Which initrd do you use in your kernelblob, jhinta?

I'm begginer with linux kernel, so sorry.

schwigi

Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

great work Jhinta, installed your Kernel and works like a charm.

Found a few things that are still missing.
I had a few Problems with the touchpad, but was able to fix it with the ubuntu 12.04 mtrack driver. Had to add an InputClass to the xorg.conf though
Code:
Section "InputClass"
  Identifier "Touchpads"
  Driver "mtrack"
  MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event4"
EndSection

I replaced the fb.c with the one from the latest Nvidia Kernel. As far as I can tell GLES ist working. Nice thing is ubuntu 12.04 has an nvidia-tegra package.

Wifi works with Networkmanager.

Sound is not working for me with the new Kernel. I'm not sure wether it's the new Kernel Driver or the Ubuntu update. Sound with aplay is still working using lilstevie's Kernel. But pulseaudio makes some pthread_mutex_unlock(...) assertion. So I guess it's both the Ubuntu update and kernel driver.

Last edited:

Ke1evraTi

Oct 7, 2010
I just tried installing the kernel and have run into some issues. I installed l4t r12beta harmony drivers, copied over the modules, and flashed the 3d kernel. When ubuntu begins to load all I see on the screen is tux. The screen then briefly (>1sec) turns off and then turns back on, completely black. I have no command prompt and no ui.

I have a feeling this is due to installing the wrong l4t drivers but am not sure. Any ideas?

schwigi

Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

The X-Server is not starting. I can think of 2 things you can check.

there should be a section in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Tegra"
  Driver "Tegra"
EndSection

the other thing is a bit more complicated. Flash the old Kernel, install openssh-server, try to connect to your pad with ssh, flash the new kernel an try to connect after the screen flickered.

You will propably find what's wrong in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. My guess is the Nvidia script detected the wrong X abi and installed to wrong version. If thats the case you can try to install an the remote console again or you have to copy the correct tegra_drv.so manually.

Ke1evraTi

Oct 7, 2010
Hi,

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Tegra"
  Driver "Tegra"
EndSection

the other thing is a bit more complicated. Flash the old Kernel, install openssh-server, try to connect to your pad with ssh, flash the new kernel an try to connect after the screen flickered.

You will propably find what's wrong in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. My guess is the Nvidia script detected the wrong X abi and installed to wrong version. If thats the case you can try to install an the remote console again or you have to copy the correct tegra_drv.so manually.

Thanks, it was a l4t driver issue. I put the original kernel back on, reinstalled the l4t drivers again, and then flashed the 3d kernel. It now works.

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
Hi,

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Tegra"
  Driver "Tegra"
EndSection

The nVidia script does not detect X abi version, you need to manually specify it if it is not version 10

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
The nVidia script does not detect X abi version, you need to manually specify it if it is not version 10

your working on nvidia mainline right?

Also about ABI one can specify ignore AEB version in xorg.conf dont realy know if it works, and there is no 12 version -> nvida still has to make it.

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009

Also about ABI one can specify ignore AEB version in xorg.conf dont realy know if it works, and there is no 12 version -> nvida still has to make it.

I will be, I am busy with another project at the moment. anyway, abi version 11 is what is used in precise and oneiric uses 10

PierreZabell

Mar 5, 2012
Update on Ubuntu for TFP

Hello forum,

How is it going with ubuntu for transformer prime atm?
Anyone can give an update status?
Been trying for weeks to run it properly, but i haven't got the needed expertise. :(

Thanks for any help :)

rmaniac

Jun 24, 2009
Yes! It's sbkv2 but not a loop mount, I just dd the rootfs using the method shaola posted. So this can't be done on my TF, sorry for the trouble.

My misc participation in this thread was in hopes of getting a nice Ubuntu setup on my Transformer. I, unfortunately, also have an sbkv2 version. So, if the kernal blob currently being tested (Ubuntu-3D.zip) is too large for the partition, is that ever fixable? Maybe I misunderstand the problem, but could we modularize a few more things, so it can fit in the standard partition and allow it to work on the sbkv2 devices? Let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree or if I should setup a build enviroment and see what I can do. I have not compiled an android kernel yet, so I will have a little learning curve. I have compiled standard linux kernels for a few archs, and have done some cross compiling before, so I am sure it is within my grasp.

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
My misc participation in this thread was in hopes of getting a nice Ubuntu setup on my Transformer. I, unfortunately, also have an sbkv2 version. So, if the kernal blob currently being tested (Ubuntu-3D.zip) is too large for the partition, is that ever fixable? Maybe I misunderstand the problem, but could we modularize a few more things, so it can fit in the standard partition and allow it to work on the sbkv2 devices? Let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree or if I should setup a build enviroment and see what I can do. I have not compiled an android kernel yet, so I will have a little learning curve. I have compiled standard linux kernels for a few archs, and have done some cross compiling before, so I am sure it is within my grasp.

You can make it smaller more modules , beter compression . Just try and find out

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Hello forum,

Been trying for weeks to run it properly, but i haven't got the needed expertise. :(

Give me the config of the system /proc/config.gz
I dont have the system but if your willing to try ill send you a kernel.
As always use at own risk

Ke1evraTi

Oct 7, 2010

I tried to change the xorg.conf to ignore the abi version but it didnt seem to have an effect.

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
Hello forum,

I am in the process of writing an installer, at the moment the install method is not the best and trying to improve it to be a little better

atc3030

Feb 9, 2009
Does this have USB host mode so i can use say a USB keyboard or wireless mouse

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dont have this tap anymore so cant support it anymore !!!

I do things manual as i want to know what has be done !
    So every thing below is hardcore installation. This will give you the why and know how of things !!!

About bootimg.cfg
    This file is need for creating boot.img
    You can find it by unpacking a boot.img,but one is provided already.
    The important part of this file is the first and last option.
    The first one will say how big the image wil be, and the last is kernel cmdline.
    This is also wehre you say loop= for a loop file

Pack or unpack blob files
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    git clone git://github.com/AndroidRoot/BlobTools.git
    cd BlobTools
    make -j2
    sudo cp blobpack /usr/bin/
    sudo cp blobunpack /usr/bin/
    cd ~

Unpack a boot.img
    We create a folder and place a boot.img in it.
    Code:
    mkdir ~/test
    cd ~/test
    abootimg -x boot.img

Unpacking a initrd image

Code:
    cd ~/test
    mkdir ramdisk
    cd ramdisk
    gzip -dc ../initrd.img | cpio -i
    Now you will have a directory with the ramdisk source files in ~/test/ramdisk
    to repack it, run
    Code:
    cd ~/test/ramdisk
    find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../new-initrd.img
    for gzip
    Code:
     find . | cpio -H newc -o | lzma -c > ../initram.lzm
    for lzma
    This will give you a new-initrd.img file in ~/test/ for you to use............versions<
    Go to the folder and select ALL file or folder BUT source and build !!!!
    And compres it file wel be made in home.
    modules are install in ubuntu in /lib/modules/

About kernel and initrd and boot.img and blob
    :D
    Kernel = basic hardware installations and setup
    initrd = like a ramdisk
    boot.img = kernel + initrd
    blob = boot.img + TF special header

Blob file you find in cwm.zip like a kernel update for android
    boot.img you will find when using nvflash
    kernel gets compiled from a git or source
    initrd you can make your own or reuse

i will create cwm.zip to do the flashing
    To do this i do.
    Code:
    mkdir ~/test
    cd ~/test
    cp ~/TF101-GNU-kernel/arch/arm/boot/zImage ~/test/zImage
    abootimg --create ./ubuntu.img -f ./bootimg.cfg -k ./zImage -r ./initrd.img
    This will give me a ubuntu.img ready for nvflash but i want cwm.
    so i do
    Code:
    ./blobpack kernelblob LNX ubuntu.img
    (LNX is boot partition dont change this unless you know what your doing)
    Now i got a new file kernelblob that i can add to a cmw.zip file
    To do this , open !!!! the cmw.zip below and remove and add the file kernelblob.
    Thats it, and ready for flashing.

Rootfs
    You sould be able to use any rootfs that is for arm.
    you can also build a rootfs with rootstock
    keep in mind a rootfs kan have diffrent types of names like ( rootfs.img.ext234 or ubuntu,dabian,linux.img.ext234 or evrey name you want it to be its just a name+ext)
    If you want to relock it for oem-config ( nice first setup like name location keyboard setup) do
    Code:
    touch /var/lib/oem-config/run

Ubuntu
    Kbuntu
    XBMX

So how do we even flash ?
    I use nvflash directly or cwm
    The easy why is just using Olife.
    Keep in mind that i will never use uboot , only original bootloader of android.
    So dualboot is what you need.
    if you have dualboot flashed, do this.
    Replaced (backup!) initrd-2.6.38.img and 2638-zImage in the kernel folder with my files,
    and in Olife update your chromium kernel.

For those that want to use a loop file
    Just flash this zip file
    And copy the rootfs to sdcard (nand) /sdcard/linux/ubuntu.img (more will come, thats why linux/ubuntu.img)

Wifi setup
    Wifi simply needs 2 files and you can get them from android space -> then copy them to Ubuntu space to /lib/firmware/
    /data/misc/wifi/nvram.txt -> /lib/firmware
    /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf -> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf #optional
    just use a root exploror to copy them to sdcard or usb ( this can alo be done when your in Ubuntu space (/system = mmcblk0p1, /data = mmcblk0p7))
    and put them on the right place for Ubuntu.

Bluetooth setup
    There are 3 file needed from android space, to get this,
    Enable bluetooth
    Rename you bluetooth name to what ever you want ( once in Ubuntu you cant change this !!!! )
    Leave it on !! and boot to Ubuntu
    /data/misc/bluetooth/{bcm4329.hcd,mac.txt} -> /lib/firmware
    brcm_patchram_plus (lives on the net) -> /usr/sbin/brcm_patchram_plus (already in)
    As last edit /etc/init.d/bsp-tf101 and correct your mac adress --bd_addr ***** (replac *** with mac !!!, mac is located in mac.txt)
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh

do_stop(){
    #look if Board Support Package is already running
    PS=$(ps -A | grep " brcm_patchram_plus\>")
    if [ -n "$PS" ]; then
    echo "* Stoping Bluetooth Support Package..."
    killall brcm_patchram_plus
    fi
    }

do_start(){
    #if already started then stop first
    do_stop
    #now start all board support binaries
    echo "* Starting Bluetooth Support Deamon..."
    rfkill unblock 0
    modprobe bcm4329
    /usr/sbin/brcm_patchram_plus --enable_hci --baudrate 921600 --bd_addr ***** --patchram /lib/firmware/bcm4329.hcd /dev/ttyHS2&
    # making sure the nvtegra dev nodes have the correct permissions
    echo "* Setting correct permissions on nvtegra device nodes..."
    chmod 0666 /dev/nv* /dev/tegra_*
    }

case $1 in
    start | restart)
    do_start
    ;;
    stop)
    do_stop
    ;;
    esac
    and reboot and your done.

Installing Tegra HEADER files ( needed when building things like XBMC )
    Copy as root all folder to /usr/include/

Installing Opengl-ES
    Download the Tegra drivers from Nvidia
    Once downloaded unpack it and open a cmdline and go to that direction Where those files are and type,
    Code:
    sudo ./app*.sh --help
    -r = your root directeroy whey you want to install this
    --abi = witch version of abi your running, to get you version run in ubuntu on TF
    Code:
    aptitude show xserver-xorg-core | grep abi
    So when running this directy on the TF in Ubuntu you wil get this
    Code:
    sudo ./app*.sh --abi 10 -r /

Get audio working
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G audio 
    sudo chmod -R 777 /dev/snd/*
    Then open alsamixer and enable
    playback
    Left And Right speaker mixer DACL/R
    Set DC input to DMIC
    And sound sould work right away.

Install zram
    Code:
    sudo wget -O /etc/init/zramswap.conf 'https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TEGRA/AC100?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=zramswap.conf'

Installing XBMC
    sudo apt-get install (try installing all dependencies you can in the readme.ubuntu in xbmc folder , some will fail so just remove them) )
    Code:
    cd ~
    git clone git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
    cd xbmc
    ./bootstrap
    ./configure --enable-tegra --enable-gles --disable-openmax --disable-vdpau --disable-hal --disable-joystick --disable-debug --disable-dvdcss
    make -j2
    sudo make install
    sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swrast

Loop or native parition
    in your config (dualboot.cfg)
    You kernel cmdline would be
    ( if you have native root=/dev/mmblk0p8 rw.........)
    ( for loop support you add loop= ( location of file !!! + root= (the partition where the file is located !!)
    root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rw loop=/xxx/xxx

Default Kernel
    files

Support
    hdmi ( audio ? )
    USB ( full working )
    jack ( mic ? )
    Opengl-ES
    zram ( needs script also a most have beacuse of low ram space )
    -more to come

Sources
    kernel
    Khronos header package
    Tegra Opengl-ES drivers
    Blobtools

THANKS TO:
    Hi,
    I'm really, really sorry for the noob question in advance.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 booting off external memory (didn't like the idea of destroying ClockworkMod), and I saw on the wiki page linked to in the first post that Jhinta kernel 3.1.10 supports hardware acceleration as well as speakers, and I would really like both of those.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to compile a kernel, in addition to not knowing whether any modifications will need to be made to make it a flashable kernel that boots off external memory.

Basically, I need all the help I can get.
    Thank you so much for your help in advance!

--EDIT--

Sorry if I was being vague, but Jhinta, I was directing that question at you, it being your kernel. I'd be eternally grateful for even just a git link and a quick guide to making a kernel that'll boot off external memory.

If you look in the wiki, there's a link to a post by me which contains a pretty detailed guide on how to compile a kernel and flash it. When you reach the stage involving abootimg, you'll need to update the config file passed to it with the -f option, and change "root=mmcblk0p8" to "root=mmcblk1p1" (or whatever partition it's installed on - you can check this by mounting it under Android/Linux then using the 'mount' command to check which device it corresponds to)

BTW, you can have a dual boot while retaining CWM - you keep CWM in the recovery partition, and modify some zip files to flash the packaged kernels for Android and Linux. (This is also the easiest way to try new kernels.) More instructions on this are in the kernel compilation guide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In case anyone was wondering where I was, my TF was subject to a warranty claim (took them a month just to reconnect the LVDS cable). I'm currently in the process of repartitioning it and installing Debian armhf. Once I've got the new kernel working, I'll post a newbie friendly guide.
    now that the secret project that we (AndroidRoot.mobi) have been working on has been released (Wheelie) I am going to update the installer to use wheelie and gain sbkv2 support soon
    Kernel update

If someone is still interesting, I've merged kernel with lastest l4t nvidia souces (r16r3-rc)
    Changes:
    - framebuffer now fully works, switching between X and fb works.
    - usb hotplug bugs fixed
    - wifi disconnects fixed (used bcmdhd from cyanogenmod sources)
    - I've remapped upper keys for F1-F12 scrollock, pause, ins, del.

Sources at github.com mozggg TF101-GNU-kernel
    (sorry, external links blocked)

gnu.zip - for CWM flash. Includes kernel and modules. Installs on mmcblk0p8
    bcm4329.tar.gz - firmwares for current bcmdhd driver and .hcd for bluetooth. Must be extracted to /lib/firmware
    Lcd lid fixed thanks to TF101-wizard and lilstevie !!! Make sure to thank them !!

Verstuurd van mijn HTC One X met Tapatalk