[Q] at&t NOTE 3 4.4.2 (nc2) root?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

vulcanraven6

Apr 5, 2014
Hawthorne
I have the GN3 for AT&T. I received the 4.4.2 (NC2) update a week ago and my phone is stock . All I want to do is root . I don't care about the warranty. I've seen a couple of methods that supposedly work but has anyone successfully got it done and actually retained root access? Or is this a wait it out situation. :confused:Thankss.

lawalty

May 16, 2008
I'm with about 95% of Note 3 owners from AT&T patiently waiting for some root solution for our recent OTA update to NC2.

Like the movie Mad Max world, there's a lot of barrenness out there. There is no root on the horizon.

I read of rumors how other NC2 variants have achieved root, however with our "locked" bootloader, we're very very limited.

I know with our NC2 update, it "updated" our already locked bootloader to some monstrosity that won't alow a roll back.

We practically STUCK! The few root options we had prior to the update, that didn't trip the KNOX flag, are non - existent right now, and who knows if they will ever will be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
This is a very popular device I'd wager someone will come out with a boot loader hijack eventually... If/when this happens we Will have full access to the system. But as far as root is concerned I'm sure it will arrive in time. My RAZR m is not a popular flagship device and it recently finally achieved root.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: macqueyl

vulcanraven6

Apr 5, 2014
Hawthorne
Yeah it appears that way. It just sucks that I put the update on my phone and it totally wasn't worth it I should have just kept 4.3 then I wouldn't have this problem. I'm going to keep looking and possibly try a few methods hopefully something will turn up soon.. let me know if you find anything!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gregko1980

Dec 7, 2011
www.hyperionics.com
This "no root" situation is very frustrating and makes the Note 3 useless to me. Just wanted to enter it into the "Smash the Past" contest to possibly win the new OnePlus One phone instead (http://oneplus.net/smash). Would so gladly shoot it through with an arrow from my hunting bow. No, I'm not a hunter, just enjoy target practice from time to time, and shooting this one would improve my aim accuracy for sure! Unfortunately will be out of country in the critical period. Darn! Anyone else would gladly smash the AT&T Note 3, if given a chance of getting another similar phone? :)

Greg

Last edited:

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
This "no root" situation is very frustrating and makes the Note 3 useless to me. Just wanted to enter it into the "Smash the Past" contest to possibly win the new OnePlus One phone instead (http://oneplus.net/smash). Would so gladly shoot it through with an arrow from my hunting bow. No, I'm not a hunter, just enjoy target practice from time to time, and shooting this one would improve my aim accuracy for sure! Unfortunately will be out of country in the critical period. Darn! Anyone else would gladly smash the AT&T Note 3, if given a chance of getting another similar phone? :)

Greg
So dumb.

Why would you break a $700 phone for a CHANCE to win a phone that costs $300..? That makes no sense even if you were guaranteed one for breaking the Note.

How about selling the Note and use the proceeds to just buy a One, and have money left over?

gregko1980

Dec 7, 2011
www.hyperionics.com
So dumb.

Why would you break a $700 phone for a CHANCE to win a phone that costs $300..? That makes no sense even if you were guaranteed one for breaking the Note.

How about selling the Note and use the proceeds to just buy a One, and have money left over?

It's just the frustration factor for me :) Would feel so good after all this trouble! I don't think I can sell it as is, I'm on a leaked KitKat version (MLG) with bootloader updated to the latest version, so I can't downgrade, and can't even upgrade to the official KitKat (when I would feel good about selling it). The actual "smash" part in the context comes only when you were selected/drawn to get the $1 OnePlus. But given that they provide you with a 16 GB memory only and there is no possibility to insert an SD card, the OnePlus in this particular configuration would be useless to me. Anyway, enough rambling. If someone hears about even a remote possibility to root this system, please post in this thread, seems like the most logical place to post such news.

Greg

Last edited:

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
kindle fire hdx is also very popular

so what?
gotta write petition to your congressman about AT&T+Samsung violating cellphone unlock law.

Reactions: macqueyl

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
It's just the frustration factor for me :) Would feel so good after all this trouble! I don't think I can sell it as is, I'm on a leaked KitKat version (MLG) with bootloader updated to the latest version, so I can't downgrade, and can't even upgrade to the official KitKat (when I would feel good about selling it). The actual "smash" part in the context comes only when you were selected/drawn to get the $1 OnePlus. But given that they provide you with a 16 GB memory only and there is no possibility to insert an SD card, the OnePlus in this particular configuration would be useless to me. Anyway, enough rambling. If someone hears about even a remote possibility to root this system, please post in this thread, seems like the most logical place to post such news.

Greg
It doesn't matter what bootloader/ROM combo you have, you can always Odin back to stock, as long as you're not trying to go backwards

so what?
gotta write petition to your congressman about AT&T+Samsung violating cellphone unlock law.
They're not violating anything...

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
It doesn't matter what bootloader/ROM combo you have, you can always Odin back to stock, as long as you're not trying to go backwards

They're not violating anything...

It seems he is using MLG software with NC2 bootloaders... He can't Odin anything with bootloaders less than NC2. And since we don't have NC2 Odin flashable software, he's screwed.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gregko1980

Dec 7, 2011
www.hyperionics.com

Yes, but so far nobody managed to pull the Odin-able files from the official KitKat (NC2) release. If you know where to get these files, please share. I hoped that Samsung rep at the local BestBuy could flash NC2 to my phone, but he still has only JellyBean.

gregko1980

Dec 7, 2011
www.hyperionics.com
It seems he is using MLG software with NC2 bootloaders... He can't Odin anything with bootloaders less than NC2. And since we don't have NC2 Odin flashable software, he's screwed.

Exactly. Bricked my phone trying to upgrade from rooted JB to the official KitKat (long story). Was stuck in a bootloop, and MLG Odin files with NC2 bootloader, prepared by carl1961 (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51572014#post51572014) saved me. Actually MLG works very well for me, the only concern is that the eventual future OTA upgrades won't work with it.

I still don't know if Samsung rep with their SMART software would be able to flash the NC2 ROM over this MLG setup. Did anyone know this? The local stores around here (South-Western PA) still have only JB available. Actually last week when I went there, the rep thought that he can flash JB over my system, and I let him, curious to see what will happen. What actually happened was another "brick". The phone would do nothing except to start Odin download mode, showing an error message and advising to use Kies on my PC to restore it. The Samsung rep in BestBuy did not know what else to do and sent me home with a bricked device. Tried Kies, but no matter what I did and how many times I tried to debug the connection, reinstall its drivers etc., it would do nothing. Guess at that point I should go and complain to Samsung that they bricked my phone and demanding the fix. But I just wanted to use it, so I Odine'd back Carl's MLG system. Works like a charm again... Except that I miss root, of course.

Greg

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes, but so far nobody managed to pull the Odin-able files from the official KitKat (NC2) release. If you know where to get these files, please share. I hoped that Samsung rep at the local BestBuy could flash NC2 to my phone, but he still has only JellyBean.
I see. Wasn't aware that there isn't a KK stock tar yet

vulcanraven6

Apr 5, 2014
Hawthorne
I am a Samsung Experience Consultant I work at the experience shop inside bestbuy in Vauxhall nj and yea I flashed nc2 with the smart tool to a note that was rooted on 4.3 it worked but he lost his root access and now he's stuck on 4.4.2 so now he's right along with the rest of us waiting. .

Reactions: gregko1980

gregko1980

Dec 7, 2011
www.hyperionics.com
I am a Samsung Experience Consultant I work at the experience shop inside bestbuy in Vauxhall nj and yea I flashed nc2 with the smart tool to a note that was rooted on 4.3 it worked but he lost his root access and now he's stuck on 4.4.2 so now he's right along with the rest of us waiting. .

vulcanraven6: Any idea if the official 4.4.2 (NC2 ROM) would flash over the leaked (unrooted) version of 4.4.2 (build number ending with MLG), while the bootloaders are already upgraded to NC2 version, with your SMART software? I can't find out if this works or not, nobody is posting such answer, and the local Samsung reps at BestBuy still have only 4.3 on their SMART stations... Would appreciate any info on this, thanks!

Greg

vulcanraven6

Apr 5, 2014
Hawthorne
I looked into it. Apparently it can't be done from what my buddy told me but I'm not so sure tell the store to download the file it's In the computer we have had it for a while now unless it's verizon.. if u have trouble or anything give me the number to the store and I'll tell them what to do to get 4.4.2 in their system.

gregko1980

Dec 7, 2011
www.hyperionics.com
I looked into it. Apparently it can't be done from what my buddy told me but I'm not so sure tell the store to download the file it's In the computer we have had it for a while now unless it's verizon.. if u have trouble or anything give me the number to the store and I'll tell them what to do to get 4.4.2 in their system.

Actually I went today to BestBuy and finally they had KitKat on their SMART station. It flashed without any trouble over my MLG system (Leaked KitKat) and now my phone is on NC2. Almost sorry I did this :) before I could with some trickery start a mobile WiFi hotspot, now on the official NC2 version it does not work at all. Oh well. At least I'm "official now" on my Note 3. Thank you for looking into it.

Greg

vulcanraven6

Apr 5, 2014
Hawthorne
Great! I'm glad it worked out. I hope we get some type of work around soon for 4.4.2 ... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is XDA, you will be proved wrong! Someone will provide a root method! I just know it. There is enough $$$ in the bounty for someone to take a stab at it. We just have to be patient! It sucks, I know!

Greg
    So dumb.

Greg

I too find the Note 3 N900A useless without root. I would gladly drop some cash into developers pocket for them to invest time into developing a way for us to obtain root.

I need to lay of the DB/web development and get into android development, this situation sucks.
    This is a very popular device I'd wager someone will come out with a boot loader hijack eventually... If/when this happens we Will have full access to the system. But as far as root is concerned I'm sure it will arrive in time. My RAZR m is not a popular flagship device and it recently finally achieved root.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda app-developers app
    kindle fire hdx is also very popular

so what?