[Q] Windows 8 Wifi tethering problem

Search This thread

HaMMeR_Oz

Feb 3, 2014
Tasmania
Anyone have any problems with tethering their Win8 machines to the Z1? It works fine tethering my tablet, but so some reason my Win8 laptop cannot resolve any DNS names. I'm rooted on NUT's stock 681. I'm struggling to figure out why DNS works fine on the tablet but not on the laptop. Any ideas appreciated.

xXFlippyXx

May 17, 2012
Anyone have any problems with tethering their Win8 machines to the Z1? It works fine tethering my tablet, but so some reason my Win8 laptop cannot resolve any DNS names. I'm rooted on NUT's stock 681. I'm struggling to figure out why DNS works fine on the tablet but not on the laptop. Any ideas appreciated.

how do you know that it is a dns-error?

any difference when using your z1 as accesspoint?

ndis driver properly installed?

try to set up a different dns server for your additional network adapter (8.8.8.8)

if possible:

do a traceroute to google.

HaMMeR_Oz

Feb 3, 2014
Tasmania
how do you know that it is a dns-error?

any difference when using your z1 as accesspoint?

ndis driver properly installed?

try to set up a different dns server for your additional network adapter (8.8.8.8)

if possible:

do a traceroute to google.

Apologies, should have included more info. Using it as wifi access point, the tablet works fine but the win8 laptop gives "dns not available" with its auto diagnosis thing. Tracert is unable to resolve google, and Tracert to the tablet ip gives destination unreachable.

Don't know how to change any of the dns settings on the phone, I've never needed to.

xXFlippyXx

May 17, 2012
Apologies, should have included more info. Using it as wifi access point, the tablet works fine but the win8 laptop gives "dns not available" with its auto diagnosis thing. Tracert is unable to resolve google, and Tracert to the tablet ip gives destination unreachable.

Don't know how to change any of the dns settings on the phone, I've never needed to.

now i'm a bit confused.

is your connection tethered (usb) or does your Z1 act as an AP?