wifi hacking/secure wifi?

Search This thread

Bigdad_1

Apr 9, 2007
New Cumberland, PA
Unfortunately, P1Tater, you cannot make such blanket assumptions about the readers of this forum... If you were to legally sell a handgun to a man, or teach him how to use it accurately, that would not make you an accomplice to 'after-the-fact' actions of that man. He could have used that weapon or experience to become a hunter, a soldier, a member of law enforcement. However, that same man may use the gun and ability to commit violent crimes - the responsibility remains solely with that individual.

For those that feel the need to preach morals, ethics, or legal issues, there are many forums and blogs dedicated to just those subjects! Please go there! (This is all stuff you should have learned from your parents, schools, churches, etc. - not on a developer's forum!)

I've been in I.T. / M.I.S. for 18 years, and have had floppies, CDs, or DVDs filled with all the current hacker tools available for those particular times. I've learned about and how to use these tools, not so much for their 'intended' purposes, but so that I not only know of them, but how I can use them (relational thinking) to solve problems. These tools, as mentioned previously, can be used to test networks, but can also be used to test which user profiles are capable of connections that they shouldn't be able to make otherwise. They can also be used to design prevention(s) against such illegal actions. I could go on forever about how many times I used hacking software - even from WAREZ - to solve computer networking issues. Thank you Moderartor for seeing the value of this thread.

BigDad_1
BigDad_1@comcast.net

-In 1995, my Gateway 10th Anniversary P133 PC had a 1 Gb harddrive & 16 Mb of RAM.
-In 2008, my HTC Kaiser / ATT 8925 has an 8 Gb MicroSD storage card & 128 Mb of RAM.
-But I'm still waiting for the videophones that everyone was supposed to have by the year 2000 according to the 1964 New York World Fair! (I'm one old dude!).

arthurbrownleeiv

Apr 2, 2008
Bay Area, Kali
there are no apps for ppc that will crack wep, nor are any devices even come close to having the resources available to dictionary attack a wpa handshake. there will never be applications like this for any handheld devices you or i are familiar with. there are plenty of sniffers out there that will allow promiscuous ethereal type monitoring of packets on a network (re: eeye retna, etc), and of course a plethora of wifi scanners available, some of which will give more information and functionality than others... the best of which being airmagnet handheld. but NONE of these, including the eye varient, will "crack" anything.

as mentioned before, cain and able ppc will allow some password hash cracking, but its more or less a joke on a ppc

Obviously you need to get out more, as even the old Sharp Zaurus with its anemic specs can make a deadly packet sniffer and brute force hacking device.

I myself have looked long and hard for even any type of packet sniffer for my WinMo device as I'm a network administrator and my old SL-5500 hit the dirt a few years ago. I did snag a SL-6000 off of ebay, but why the hell can't my WinMo device do this stuff? It has more than enough power. It is just no one has developed anything like that for them. I would assume with the .NET framework that it wouldn't be that tedious of a project.

Do I think hacking into someones network is unethical? Yes. Do I think knowing how to do it is illegal and should be smothered or pushed off of an intelligent forum like this? No. You should have seen the look on the CIO's face when I spent 20 minutes talking to him with my SL-5500 in my pocket only to show that I had cracked the network key in that time. (When I was pushing for the move to a RADIUS server for WPA instead of WEP)

So, who wants to help make the tool?

iti_uk

Jul 19, 2007
i dont think it's illigal.
ill tell you why i would want to, because im surrounded by all these secure wifi's everywhere i go, and always want to connect to them, they have great signal too.

i dont think it's illigal to steal cars.
ill tell you why i would want to, because im surrounded by all these locked cars everywhere i go, and always want to drive them, they have great big engines.

But seriously, come on. If you want internet, just use your 3g. If you want faster, pay for it.

Just mho,
Chris

asrrin29

Jul 24, 2008
Obviously you need to get out more, as even the old Sharp Zaurus with its anemic specs can make a deadly packet sniffer and brute force hacking device.

I myself have looked long and hard for even any type of packet sniffer for my WinMo device as I'm a network administrator and my old SL-5500 hit the dirt a few years ago. I did snag a SL-6000 off of ebay, but why the hell can't my WinMo device do this stuff? It has more than enough power. It is just no one has developed anything like that for them. I would assume with the .NET framework that it wouldn't be that tedious of a project.

Do I think hacking into someones network is unethical? Yes. Do I think knowing how to do it is illegal and should be smothered or pushed off of an intelligent forum like this? No. You should have seen the look on the CIO's face when I spent 20 minutes talking to him with my SL-5500 in my pocket only to show that I had cracked the network key in that time. (When I was pushing for the move to a RADIUS server for WPA instead of WEP)

So, who wants to help make the tool?

Nice! I also used an SL-5500 before I switched to my kaiser. damn fine networking tool if I ever saw one. I'm trying to catch up with the .net languages (I've done alot with VB6 in the past) but I have good netowkring knowledge and if I have some spare time I think it would be cool to get a project started up for some good networking tools.

arthurbrownleeiv

Apr 2, 2008
Bay Area, Kali
Nice! I also used an SL-5500 before I switched to my kaiser. damn fine networking tool if I ever saw one. I'm trying to catch up with the .net languages (I've done alot with VB6 in the past) but I have good netowkring knowledge and if I have some spare time I think it would be cool to get a project started up for some good networking tools.

I would agree... My programing abilities are next to none, but network knowledge is quite nice as I've had my head buried in Junipers and Ciscos and D-Links oh my!

Yes, the Zaurus IMHO was one of the most underrated, and flexible PDAs ever made... I've often wanted the SL-6000 with phone capabilities... It would be the only thing that would get me to leave WinMo and HTC.

Anyone else up for something like this?

Teej53214

May 31, 2008
South East Wisconsin
Actually... It is only illegal if you are on public property or on private property that you do not have permission to use... OR if you use the connection to damage or so other illegal activity with the wireless account. I work for an ISP / Computer manufacturer in WI... and we were hacked.. possible credit card information was leaked, etc from the hack.. And the Fed got involved... We all got a crash course on the law of wireless.. But, it turns out it IS legal to intercept, as well as use any wireless radio signal that comes into your personal space (not your "personal bubble", but your residance, or something simmilar). It is an FCC law that was originally intended for TV and Radio signals, but was later upheld for Radar Detectors and places trying to make them illegal.. They local city/state can pass an ordinance to make it "illegal", but you can fight it and win as MANY have. There also have now been a handful of WiFi cases that were simmilar.. I am not saying you won't get a ticket or threatened by the local PoPo.... But if you went to court you could fight it and win assuming you weren;t using the connection for any illegal activity such are piracy and such.... Hope this helps clear this up

yes its completely illegal in the states and you shouldn't do it. However if you don't care about breaking the law I don't see how it could be proven in court that you hijacked someones wifi with ur mobile device, and if it came down to it im sure cooking a new rom would delete any hidden data.

If I were you find other options. Like myself. I use my wifi at home and download all the necessary data i need for the day every morning. If i run into anything I need I simply go somewhere like a library or a coffee shop to access their wifi.

Take care and stay out of trouble.

unikbeats

Feb 25, 2008
Germany
By reading this thread there is only one thing i can say: LOL! i'm kinda shoked that attitudes towards illegal acting are so different :(

however...

asrrin29

Jul 24, 2008
It is illegal to hack into someone's protected computer systems without their permission, but it is NOT illegal to know HOW to do it. It is also NOT ilegal to do it if you have the owner's permission. Otherwise people who are security analysts would be criminals. It is not illegal to own circumvention tools, it is only illegal to use those tools for illegal purposes. Just because you own lock picks doesn't make you a thief. You could be a locksmith with a legitimate purpose for them. Some people in this thread need to read up on current law, especially if they live in the United States.

arthurbrownleeiv

Apr 2, 2008
Bay Area, Kali
Exactly...

I have the freedom to know, and have the tools. Doesn't mean I will cross the moral line and hack into your wifi.

Doctors know many ways to kill someone, yet they don't do it.

Chyllaxyn

Dec 8, 2008
hacking for jebus

true, a doctor probably does know many ways to kill a person,
but it's likey he didn't learn as much by asking noob questions on public forums.

Any gangsta' wannabe tween who is dumb enough to ask how do I hack wifi on a public forum is dumb enough to do it.

ie: log onto any BB forum and post "Where do I score some roids man?"
See what you get.

-
doucebag

Chyllaxyn

Dec 8, 2008
ps:

besides, hacking WEP is a simpleton's chore , anyone can do it, just ask Albert Segvec Gonzalez.

And the point would be?
Free Internet by sponging off your neighbor is my guess,
well, at least you're going to break the law sitting safely and "Anonymously" in your own house, *har*

Dood, there are free hot spots everywhere, don't be a nudge.

arthurbrownleeiv

Apr 2, 2008
Bay Area, Kali
Obviously some of the posters are missing the point others of us are trying to make...

Yes, WEP is a 15 minute affair with almost any linux live cd, proper tools, and 5 minutes of "googling"... WPA can be broken too...

The point I'm trying to make, is why not have these tools on a PDA for those of us that have LEGITIMATE reasons. Why do I need to haul out the laptop (now I can use my Eee thankfully) to show a business how easy it is to crack WEP? Or to do audits on my own system? The WinMo platform is more than capable, and there is absolutely nothing illegal about it.

I'm not saying have a tutorial for n00bs on how to crack wifi, they can google that themselves... What I am asking is why hasn't anyone used the net framework to make a packetsniffer and collector?