[ROM] Viewsonic Viewpad 7 Froyo Enhanced

Search This thread

lakehousetech

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
Viewpad 7a 'Enhanced' (RC1)

Viewpad 7a is a quick and dirty modification of the stock firmware from Viewsonic. This should be a decent alternative to the stock image, with improved performance and appearance.

Highlights:
- Removed the 'Welcome' logo and replaced with stock android boot animation.
- Replaced stock boot image with overclocked version: Credit goes to TJ Style @ Modaco.
- Minor framework modifications (got rid of annoying white status bar, and misc images).
- All packaged applications remain, but I will add or remove any upon request.
- Enabled hardware acceleration.

Notes:
- Firmware should work with compatible devices such as: Cherry Mobile Superion, Commtiva Linx N700, Olivepad VT-100, Spice MI700, and Camangi FM600....but I do not have these devices, so I cannot verify. As always make a backup before installing any custom firmwares.

Known Issues:
- You may receive an error from Swype upon initial use to the effect that 'it's not meant for this firmware and may be limited'. I haven't had any issues since seeing this, and have disregarded it for the time being.

- Root condition has been known to intermittently go away. Remedy this by running Super One Click again after you've flashed the ROM.

****************************************************************************************************

I'm currently working on a Vanilla AOSP port of Gingerbread for this device, and this will be the main focus of my effort. I will try my best to answer any bug reports or requests for changes to this firmware, but won't make any promises.

As always a big thanks to everyone in the Android community that shares they're knowledge and support.

To install this firmware use ClockworkMod to flash the zip file. (I use version 2.5.1.2). Information on rooting and installing an alternative recovery partition is available here.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your Viewpad 7 (or equivalent device). Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as ClockworkMod, before proceeding.

****************************************************************************************************

Update (August 22nd, 2011): I've deactivated the download link until I get time to put out a better update with ITE support.

Last edited:

harishgayatri

Dec 7, 2009
Mumbai
If I am not wrong this device is similar to Commtiva N700/ Spice Mi-700/ Olive Pad VT-100.

Nice to hear someone taking the initiative for development on this device:)

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
I've added the compatible devices I'm aware of to the first post. I may take advantage of CM scripting in the Gingerbread port. Will update when I have time. I've attached a screenshot from the froyo firmware below if anyone is interested.

I've been using it for the past two days without any issues. I borrowed a SIM card from a friend today to test the data connectivity and call function. Both work flawlessly. The battery life isn't as good with the CPU overclocked, but it's worth it for the extra boost of performance.

Attachments

• vp7enhance.jpg
    vp7enhance.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,537
Last edited:
Reactions: haree

harishgayatri

Dec 7, 2009
Mumbai
I was planning to get this device with my first salary which is few months from now

BTW, To make things easier you can use Cyanogen 7 which I think is having support for similar hardware.

Last edited:

harishgayatri

Dec 7, 2009
Mumbai
I've added the compatible devices I'm aware of to the first post. I may take advantage of CM scripting in the Gingerbread port. Will update when I have time. Here's a screenshot from the froyo firmware:

vp7enhance.png

I've been using it for the past two days without any issues. I borrowed a SIM card from a friend today to test the data connectivity and call function. Both work flawlessly. The battery life isn't as good with the CPU overclocked, but it's worth it for the extra boost of performance.

Looks good.

But I prefer Android with its vanilla looks.

Can LCD density be used with this Tablet? does it work?

Please check that out.

Reactions: zeyad2

cyko

Jul 27, 2007
Dongguan
Nice to see someone finally making a custom ROM for this device. Would be nice to have something like HyperDroidGBX for the HD2 using AOSP, Redux, CyanogenMod.... that's one hell of a nice piece of Gingerbread.

Hopefully the Viewpad 7 will get its own sub-forum and your ROM will be the first in it.

Cheers!
Cyko

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
Can MeeGo 1.2 be ported for this Device?

I don't know enough about MeeGo to comment, but I imagine it is possible...just not sure how feasible or worthwhile it would be to port it.

Yes LCD density can be modified and it works.

Hopefully the Viewpad 7 will get its own sub-forum

I think if there's enough community interest XDA may create a dedicated forum for these devices. We'll see.

Last edited:

sanata

Feb 28, 2008
Saint Petersburg
Thank you for your work. On the Russian forum owners viewpad 7 Your beginnings of this work has generated enormous interest. Would you in their versions of the firmware to include more locations? Good luck in your work. Sorry for the English.

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
Thank you for your work. On the Russian forum owners viewpad 7 Your beginnings of this work has generated enormous interest. Would you in their versions of the firmware to include more locations? Good luck in your work. Sorry for the English.

Adding a Russian keyboard and locales would not be difficult if you know of another ROM that is using them in Froyo, or perhaps someone has them on a repo somewhere?

keijames

Nov 14, 2010
Hong Kong

Viewpad 7a is a quick and dirty modification of the stock firmware from Viewsonic. This should be a decent alternative to the stock image, with improved performance and appearance.

Highlights:
- Replaced stock boot image with overclocked version: Credit goes to TJ Style @ Modaco.
- Minor framework modifications (got rid of annoying white status bar, and misc images).

Notes:
- Firmware should work with compatible devices such as: Cherry Mobile Superion, Commtiva Linx N700, Olivepad VT-100, Spice MI700, and Camangi FM600....but I do not have these devices, so I cannot verify. As always make a backup before installing any custom firmwares.

Known Issues:
- You may receive an error from Swype upon initial use to the effect that 'it's not meant for this firmware and may be limited'. I haven't had any issues since seeing this, and have disregarded it for the time being.

I'm currently working on a Vanilla AOSP port of Gingerbread for this device, and this will be the main focus of my effort. I will try my best to answer any bug reports or requests for changes to this firmware, but won't make any promises.

As always a big thanks to everyone in the Android community that shares they're knowledge and support.

To install this firmware use ClockworkMod to flash the zip file. (I use version 2.5.1.2). Information on rooting and installing an alternative recovery partition is available here.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your Viewpad 7 (or equivalent device). Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as ClockworkMod, before proceeding.

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8plz5l9td3swith

I have clockworkmod recovery installed, works, and overclock boot.img installed works too.

My VIEWPAD 7 has still stock ROM with Chinese handwriting touch, if I flash this custom ROM, do I loss Chinese handwriting function ?

Does all wifi, bluetooth, GPS, 3G network, multi-touch remain the same ?

Also, I am looking for App2SD script, to extend my internal /data/apps -> mSD card (ext2/3/4) paritition too.

thanks, cheers

James

Last edited:

mp9_sit

Sep 3, 2008
I have clockworkmod recovery installed, works, and overclock boot.img installed works too.

My VIEWPAD 7 has still stock ROM with Chinese handwriting touch, if I flash this custom ROM, do I loss Chinese handwriting function ?

Does all wifi, bluetooth, GPS, 3G network, multi-touch remain the same ?

Also, I am looking for App2SD script, to extend my internal /data/apps -> mSD card (ext2/3/4) paritition too.

thanks, cheers

James

I've done some tricks used a symbolic link for moved /data/dalvik-cache to /cache I will free up a lot of space in /data
Also the /cache partition is so huge. Is there any method to re-partition it?

Reactions: keijames

Tonixia

Jul 31, 2007
Flashed successfully on my Wellcom A800 WePAD, Thailand model. Works really fast! Thank you so much!

simonti

Nov 22, 2006

Highlights:

Notes:

Known Issues:

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8plz5l9td3swith

I order a viewpad 7 from amazon on saturday. I had some concern about it and was wondering if I made the right choice. Now that I see that you are working on increasing its performance, I feel comfortable with my choice now.
I install gappinstaller v5 on a archos 70 and 101 with no problem by following the step by step direction. I dont have my viewpad 7 as yet but I hope the installation goes smoothly. I donate

Tapsiful

Jan 23, 2009
I flashed it to a WellcoM A800 and the GSM radio doesn't work anymore. Whatever I do it indicates that I'm in airplane mode. I tried with three different SIM cards with the same result.

Please advise...

Thanks

Glad I could help! Let me know if you have any suggestions for future changes.

The ViewPad finally arrived this morning. Got it all rooted, CWM'd and the ROM installed.

Nice work!

The wife will love it when she gets home tonight!

I'll definately let you know if I come up with any suggestions.
Well, one suggestion now:
move all the non-essential apps from system to data so they're easily removable.
Actually I can do that myself in a little bit...

Looking forward to Gingerbread!

Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Highlights:

Notes:

Known Issues:

- Root condition has been known to intermittently go away. Remedy this by running Super One Click again after you've flashed the ROM.

Update (August 22nd, 2011): I've deactivated the download link until I get time to put out a better update with ITE support.
    I've added the compatible devices I'm aware of to the first post. I may take advantage of CM scripting in the Gingerbread port. Will update when I have time. I've attached a screenshot from the froyo firmware below if anyone is interested.

I've added the compatible devices I'm aware of to the first post. I may take advantage of CM scripting in the Gingerbread port. Will update when I have time. Here's a screenshot from the froyo firmware:

vp7enhance.png

Looks good.

But I prefer Android with its vanilla looks.

Please check that out.
    Nice to see someone finally making a custom ROM for this device. Would be nice to have something like HyperDroidGBX for the HD2 using AOSP, Redux, CyanogenMod.... that's one hell of a nice piece of Gingerbread.

Hopefully the Viewpad 7 will get its own sub-forum and your ROM will be the first in it.

Cheers!
    Cyko
    Can MeeGo 1.2 be ported for this Device?

I don't know enough about MeeGo to comment, but I imagine it is possible...just not sure how feasible or worthwhile it would be to port it.

Yes LCD density can be modified and it works.

Hopefully the Viewpad 7 will get its own sub-forum

I think if there's enough community interest XDA may create a dedicated forum for these devices. We'll see.