But will it sync with Outlook?

Search This thread

SpiggyTopes

Nov 7, 2007
Dubai
Hi All,

I've searched on this topic but can't find a full answer.

Seems it is possible to sync but not automatically as with WinMo.

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

deekjx

Nov 11, 2008
Yes it will provided your company doesn't have any additional security demands.

I work for a company that imposes certain security rules that the Android Exchange sync doesn't support like forcing the device to have PIN to unlock the phone. Its to protect the email on the device in the event of lost or theft. It'll also permanently lock the device if 10 failed attempts are made. It can only be unlocked via our corporate mail server. So the thief or finder would have to re-flash the device in which case the corporate data would be gone from it and be safe.

If you company uses such security rules, you won't be able to use the integrated exchange sync. You can purchase the Exchange Sync app by Touchdown and it will work regardless of your security policies.

JTHM

Aug 10, 2005
Northants
Yes it should by using HTC Sync ...my wife's Hero has no problems. However, she typically syncs Outlook with her Google account and the phone is automatically kept synced with that.

mallard729

Apr 28, 2008
i think the desire has more advanced exchange intergration, check out the product description on htc's website

Your work email, calendar appointments, and contacts, are right there on your phone - you can even look up any company contact in the global address book. The HTC Desire also has enhanced support for Exchange security features such as password protection and remote data wipe

deekjx

Nov 11, 2008
i think the desire has more advanced exchange intergration, check out the product description on htc's website

You are absolutely correct. I've been waiting for this for quite sometime. Thanks to your post, I decided to check the UK version of their website and found all the info on it there. Their US site doesn't appear to have any data for this device.

d.cortez

Dec 30, 2005
north texas
Google Pixel Fold
You are absolutely correct. I've been waiting for this for quite sometime. Thanks to your post, I decided to check the UK version of their website and found all the info on it there. Their US site doesn't appear to have any data for this device.
i'm using the Desire ROM on my Nexus One and - assuming no change in the Exchange features at production - it will have full exchange integration, including that FRIGGIN pin! i can't speak to the wipe features because i haven't tested that (and don't plan to, lol). since my Exchange email is from a personal account, i had my service provider disable the PIN requirement so i can use the pattern lock feature instead.

sh500

May 19, 2005
I don't believe it has [full] support for 'desktop' outlook sync? I used to use my WinMo device to sync to a work Exchange account but have had a blackberry so no need for that.

What I still need to do is sync to my home computer's Outlook via Active Sync to sync contacts, calendars, tasks, etc.

I believe the HTC Sync is a bit limited in this respect? The only answer that I get on searching the net is to use Google services, not really an ideal solution for those who do not/want to use it.

O and O

Feb 5, 2009
Yes it should by using HTC Sync ...my wife's Hero has no problems. However, she typically syncs Outlook with her Google account and the phone is automatically kept synced with that.

What application do you use for syncing her Hero? I am using GSyncIT but I think it has limitations... and costs £10!

sh500

May 19, 2005
MyLink

Just found this software (out in April):

http://www.wavestore.co.uk/index.php/products/mylink-desktop.html

The Advanced version is already out but lacks OTA sync'ing.

It's a bit sad that what I would consider to be a fundamental piece of software for any phone, for the foreseeable future, we will have to pay for. But a small price to pay for the other benefits of an Android phone.

Last edited:

sh500

May 19, 2005
I don't really like the fact that Google doesn't support Tasks 'explicitly' (I believe it uses another instance of a calendar to achieve this?).

Not important to those who dont make use of tasks of course.

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
Just found this software (out in April):

http://www.wavestore.co.uk/index.php/products/mylink-desktop.html

The Advanced version is already out but lacks OTA sync'ing.

It's a bit sad that what I would consider to be a fundamental piece of software for any phone, for the foreseeable future, we will have to pay for. But a small price to pay for the other benefits of an Android phone.

I was excited and then very disappointed. The Mylink software does a sync via a multi-step process.

after the USB connection...

Mount the SD
run the sync software on the PC
unmount the sd
run the sync app on the device

After that's all done, you can only access the sync'd data via a custom app.

MyLink is just useless

Is there a reason that there's no app that syncs with Desktop outlook, like Windows Mobile via Active Sync? Is there a restriction on using Active sync, or is the protocol unknown?

Dave G

Oct 19, 2006
but HTC Sync does that surely?Thats what I'm hoping for anyway! I need to sync with TWO desktops (neither exchange) calendar and contacts, and preferably tasks. From what I've read HTC Sync will do calendar and contacts to a desktop PC via USB

tdusen

Sep 14, 2006
It does. But, HTC Sync requires the HERO Framework, so stock android users are out of luck.

sh500

May 19, 2005
I was excited and then very disappointed. The Mylink software does a sync via a multi-step process.

after the USB connection...

Mount the SD
run the sync software on the PC
unmount the sd
run the sync app on the device

After that's all done, you can only access the sync'd data via a custom app.

MyLink is just useless

Is there a reason that there's no app that syncs with Desktop outlook, like Windows Mobile via Active Sync? Is there a restriction on using Active sync, or is the protocol unknown?

Too good to be true comes to mind now (!)