LG please do not need to artificially increase the saturation and sharpness

Search This thread

sonyfan12

May 6, 2014
Because there is a halo
http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-dark-side-of-the-LG-G3-5-mighty-annoying-features_id57222
and unnatural colors
(not visible horizontal stripes)
vs-pict-sat.jpg

(not true color)
vs-pict.jpg

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Is it sharpness control, or simply some content not looking good due to the content's native resolution? Qhd monitors can have the same issue and depends how well the panel works with the gpu that is outputting signal. Maybe something that can be corrected in a low level hardware update.

Several reviews have pointed this out as well as some users, but not widespread enough to suggest all content is over sharpened.

BTW, this thread is a lit match for the fuse and powder keg known as G3 fans.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Fans will still deny and call the naysayers trolls. I guess Anandtech is a troll now along with other reviews and users pointing out the Qhd was more a negative than a positive for the display compared to 1080p.

Still, can the over sharpness be fixed, or an issue with the display? Great for owners if can be turned off.

paratox

Feb 18, 2010
the font sharpening on some background colors is really bad and hard to read for the eyes. i hope lg gives us the option to disable it or reduce it for a better reading experience.

sonyfan12

May 6, 2014
Fans will still deny and call the naysayers trolls. I guess Anandtech is a troll now along with other reviews and users pointing out the Qhd was more a negative than a positive for the display compared to 1080p.

Still, can the over sharpness be fixed, or an issue with the display? Great for owners if can be turned off.

I can understand them.
About sharpness and saturation, I read that they artificially (using software) made it such a. At a very low level. I do not know whether it is possible to fix

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011

Oh, yeah. Me thinks that Anand is tooo nit-picking. I guess the future Galaxy F review will be all praise and kudos. But I definitely sure that LG will turn off oversharping in some future updates, maybe will just leave it on in Asia and Korean ROMs

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
OnePlus 11
This is how bad the sharpening is.

Image taken with screenshot (no sharpening from display): http://i.imgur.com/J61hGfV.png

What you see when you look at the display (sharpening): http://i.imgur.com/ksWu5e7.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/HWDQrHE.jpg

Please tell me your not comparing a screenshot to a selfie taken in a mirror -_-

I've read all this stuff before when i bought my yoga 2 pro, being the first 3200x1800 res laptop. Nothing but comparisons to 1080p displays, critics talking about color inaccuracies. All the credible reviews said it was a total failure and more of a negative that a plus. But i'm glad I picked it up, I was able to hold it and hold a samsung notebook with a 1080p display and honestly it was night and day, the higher res wins. Maybe that's just me cuz i have 20/10 vision but if resolution is important to you don't overthink it and take all these display calibration tests too seriously. Make the judgement for yourself.

dhkx

Sep 29, 2012
Please tell me your not comparing a screenshot to a selfie taken in a mirror -_-

I've read all this stuff before when i bought my yoga 2 pro, being the first 3200x1800 res laptop. Nothing but comparisons to 1080p displays, critics talking about color inaccuracies. All the credible reviews said it was a total failure and more of a negative that a plus. But i'm glad I picked it up, I was able to hold it and hold a samsung notebook with a 1080p display and honestly it was night and day, the higher res wins. Maybe that's just me cuz i have 20/10 vision but if resolution is important to you don't overthink it and take all these display calibration tests too seriously. Make the judgement for yourself.

Mirror? What mirror? That is a picture I took of my G3. What do you even mean by "make the judgement for yourself"? I bought the G3 and have it with me, do you? The oversharpening is a flaw in the LG's software or display. It causes display problems with certain fonts (most obvious with a black font and a light coloured background) and it is a significant issue if you read ebooks. Hopefully this is something that LG can fix through a firmware update.

Last edited:

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013
I previously had a G2, I think the G3 screen (color wise) looks fantastic.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
OnePlus 11
Mirror? What mirror? That is a picture I took of my G3. What do you even mean by "make the judgement for yourself"? I bought the G3 and have it with me, do you? The oversharpening is a serious flaw in the LG's software or display. It causes display problems with certain fonts and it is a significant issue if you read ebooks. Hopefully this is something that LG can fix through a firmware update.

My point is 90% of the critics are complaining about things most people wouldn't ever notice on their own. No I don't own a g3 right now and no I don't normally read ebooks. (and I can't really see anything wrong with the text in your pic)

When I say make the judgement for yourself I'm talking to the majority of us who don't own the phone, because I see way too many people (on here, reviews, supercurio) saying terrible things about the display. Just saying that from experience as I've been in this boat before buying the first 'next gen display' while it's being compared to 1080p displays that have been on the market for a while that have all the kinks worked out already.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
My point is 90% of the critics are complaining about things most people wouldn't ever notice on their own. No I don't own a g3 right now and no I don't normally read ebooks. (and I can't really see anything wrong with the text in your pic)

When I say make the judgement for yourself I'm talking to the majority of us who don't own the phone, because I see way too many people (on here, reviews, supercurio) saying terrible things about the display. Just saying that from experience as I've been in this boat before buying the first 'next gen display' while it's being compared to 1080p displays that have been on the market for a while that have all the kinks worked out already.
I have seen the sharpness issue and the only way you will not notice it is if the new device pixie dust does not wear off. Anandtech and other reputable sites as will as users have noticed it.

Should be a simple setting that LG can turn off. Hopefully.

sub69

May 26, 2005
Sydney
Well, I love my G3, I haven't been near a bong in years, and my vision is perfectly good (with contacts).

I find the oversharpening is irritating too, though. So any software fix would be very welcome.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Enddo

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
I have seen the sharpness issue and the only way you will not notice it is if the new device pixie dust does not wear off. Anandtech and other reputable sites as will as users have noticed it.

Should be a simple setting that LG can turn off. Hopefully.
Definitely is. The find 7 uses the same screen and doesn't do the over sharpening. I think they did it to try to emphasize the need for the resolution.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is how bad the sharpening is.

Image taken with screenshot (no sharpening from display): http://i.imgur.com/J61hGfV.png

What you see when you look at the display (sharpening): http://i.imgur.com/ksWu5e7.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/HWDQrHE.jpg
    Well, I love my G3, I haven't been near a bong in years, and my vision is perfectly good (with contacts).

I find the oversharpening is irritating too, though. So any software fix would be very welcome.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    I don't see it, even on the pics posted in this page... What are we supposed to see exactly ? Confused...
    I have the phone since last week so here goes your point :eek:
    I don't see it, even on the pics posted in this page... What are we supposed to see exactly ? Confused...

Sharpening is there to increase the contrast between light and dark edges...

Basically, where you have dark text on a light (but not pure white) background, over sharpening causes the dark text to have a noticeable white "glow", or "halo" around the edges of the individual letters.

If you look at dhkx's second picture at full size you can see that the background is off-white, then there's a pixel or two of bright white before the black pixels that make up the text. It's particularly obvious on text with straight edges:

BgdKjjP.png

As you can see, it only really happens left to right, the flat tops of the "W" are fine, and have no bright white pixels between the black text and the background.