[SOLVED] Solution for Emergency Calls Only for 4.3 ROMS

Search This thread

mightymouse2045

May 9, 2007
Thanks to @johnyp
and mainly to Zuluman! for the actual fixes and modem patcher!

You can follow this solution to fix the "Emergency Calls Only" problem for those suffering from this after upgrading to 4.3 ROMS. Note this is if you have a VALID IMEI number, but are still getting Emergency Calls Only!

If you have an invalid IMEI number\Baseband problem then you need to restore a backup of your /efs folder to resolve that (follow other threads that detail how to resolve that issue)

You can safely upgrade to any 4.3 ROM now by following this solution (ORIGINAL THREAD HERE!!!)

Download the patched MK4 kernel from here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6MIUd7HJudAeDVaaGo0SXdYRWs&usp=sha ring&tid=0B6MIUd7HJudAbU5YaGkzOUowMG8

Next download the modem (MJ9 modem patched by johnyp):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u60919sl1e...0_ModemMJ9.zip

Copy these 2 files to your sdcard. Reboot to recovery and then flash the kernel then the modem and reboot, and you will no longer have the emergency calls only!

Remember this is for 4.3 ROMS only!

Note you can download the modem patcher here! This will allow you to patch modem.bin files for a modem of your choice also. Then just update the modem zip file by replacing the modem.bin with your patched modem.bin :)

Last edited:

alienmaan

Jan 18, 2010
Blaine
Thanks to @johnyp

You can follow this solution to fix the "Emergency Calls Only" problem for those suffering from this after upgrading to 4.3 ROMS. Note this is if you have a VALID IMEI number, but are still getting Emergency Calls Only!

If you have an invalid IMEI number\Baseband problem then you need to restore a backup of your /efs folder to resolve that (follow other threads that detail how to resolve that issue)

You can safely upgrade to any 4.3 ROM now by following this solution (ORIGINAL THREAD HERE!!!)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6MIUd7HJudAeDVaaGo0SXdYRWs&usp=sha ring&tid=0B6MIUd7HJudAbU5YaGkzOUowMG8

Copy these 2 files to your sdcard. Reboot to recovery and then flash the kernel then the modem and reboot, and you will no longer have the emergency calls only!

Note you can download the modem patcher here! This will allow you to patch modem.bin files for a modem of your choice also. Then just update the modem zip file by replacing the modem.bin with your patched modem.bin :)

Thanks, needed your thread on the Note 2. I was facing the same problem and I found your help on Azira's Patch for S3 and Note 2. I did what you advised and everything works like a charm.

Best Regards,
Alien

Reactions: bubblehead1

mightymouse2045

May 9, 2007
Thanks, needed your thread on the Note 2. I was facing the same problem and I found your help on Azira's Patch for S3 and Note 2. I did what you advised and everything works like a charm.

Best Regards,
Alien

Yeah it took me a while to locate the thread because of it's obscure location, but after about 5 or so hours I stumbled across it and it worked straight away, so thought I'd make it a little easier for others to find :p

Reactions: GraphixLemz

ibraahim

Mar 2, 2009
Mumbai
I have downloaded all required files. Now should I flash mj5 bootloader or just flash the rom, kernel and modem. I am planning to flash dn3 v3. I am currently using 4.1.2 with ariza patch.
Please guide.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Miaxus

Jun 12, 2013
I have downloaded all required files. Now should I flash mj5 bootloader or just flash the rom, kernel and modem. I am planning to flash dn3 v3. I am currently using 4.1.2 with ariza patch.
Please guide.

I'm on the same situation, I'm just wainting someone to try it before I try :D
Actually on 4.1.2 with ariza patch.

jhonyp

Aug 18, 2012
Rosario
I patched mj9 whit Zuluman tool and update modem zip to make it flashable, so credits to Zuluman.

Please guide.

Make full wipes (I recommend format internal sd)
Flash rom
Flash MK4 patched modem
Flash patched modem (you can flash mj5 or mj9 patched modem, mj5 works better for me, try and choose the best for you)
Reboot

If wifi not work you can odin flash Dr ketone wifi fix or mj5 bootloader (you choose).

Done.

Enviado desde mi calculadora

mightymouse2045

May 9, 2007
Please guide.

Hi guys - yeah as johnyp said.

You don't need to follow the Ditto Note 3 v3 install guide but it doesn't hurt.

I have done exactly that. Flash the v3 ROM, reboot into download mode and Flash the MJ5 bootloader they mention via Odin, reboot into recovery and Flash the patched mk4 kernel, and flash the patched MJ9 modem.

But in all honesty you can probably skip the MJ5 bootloader part, then there is no need to reboot at all ;)

nitol

Sep 1, 2009
dhaka
What is the difference between stock and patched kernel? Is this the stock kernel?
Regards.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mightymouse2045

May 9, 2007
Is this working for stock rom mk4

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What is the difference between stock and patched kernel? Is this the stock kernel?
Regards.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes this is working for the stock rom. This is for if like me and many others you are getting no network and or "emergency calls only".

This is the stock kernel and stock MJ9 modems that have been patched to resolve these problems. The issue as I understand it, is if you upgraded to 4.3 roms then it stops your phone accessing the /efs folder. Even downgrading doesn't resolve this issue. So you need to run a patched kernel and modem to have it looking in the /efs folder again for your IMEI and other info.

The patched kernel part I believe is to just remove the knox security - but johnyp can correct me on that. I haven't actually tested just flashing the patched modem, but you can test that yourself first to see if it works. If it does then great, if not then flash the patched kernel as well.

ibraahim

Mar 2, 2009
Mumbai
I successfully flashed my phone with DN3 V3.
But when I flashed my friends phone, who also was on 4.1.2 with ariza patch. He got a generic imei. Flashed everything as I flashed mine.
Formatted internal memory..
Nuked rom with philz touch recovery..
Flashed rom...
booted, found that only Wi-Fi was working. Phone was still having emergency calls only..
Flashed patched kernel... reboot, same issue..
Flashed mj5 and mj9 patched modems same problem persisted.. can any one please guide me, how to solve this problem. Thanks.

mightymouse2045

May 9, 2007
I successfully flashed my phone with DN3 V3.
But when I flashed my friends phone, who also was on 4.1.2 with ariza patch. He got a generic imei. Flashed everything as I flashed mine.
Formatted internal memory..
Nuked rom with philz touch recovery..
Flashed rom...
booted, found that only Wi-Fi was working. Phone was still having emergency calls only..
Flashed patched kernel... reboot, same issue..
Flashed mj5 and mj9 patched modems same problem persisted.. can any one please guide me, how to solve this problem. Thanks.

When you say you flashed the mj5 and mj9 modems do you mean you flashed the mj5 bootloader with odin? and the mj9 modem with philz recovery?

If it still has emergency calls only - dial *#06# and see if it the IMEI is the same that's on the sticker under the battery (or on the box the phone came in), or if it's a generic IMEI. If it's generic it could be that you need to restore the /efs folder. Install a root explorer and enable show hidden files, and browse to the root of the phone and see if there is /efs and that it is populated inside the folder.

If it is it could be corrupted, so restore from a backup anyway. If you have one - if you don't there are various posts around on how to recover a corrupt /efs folder.

Miaxus

Jun 12, 2013
Thanks to @johnyp

I downloaded and flashed the files but when I reboot the phone freeze after "gn2 screen" and start vibrating in a weird way..

frliran

Nov 13, 2013
How to use modem.patcher ?

Thanks to @johnyp

Thank for the links.
Can you please tell me what is the file: N7100_4.3_Kernel ? Do I need to flash it to ?
And can you please tell me what sould I do with the "modem.patcher.v2.exe" ?

ibraahim

Mar 2, 2009
Mumbai
@frliran you don't have to copy the entire post from first page to ask your question..

Read the OP it clearly mentions what it is meant for. Modem patcher is to patch your modem.

Top Liked Posts