[smirkit-2.8][06/02]install recovery+bootloader COTR or TWRP

Search This thread

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
6/02/13This update has been provided by Ichigo™
TWRP has just been updated to 2.4.4.0, here is a new smirkit v.2.8 that contains this latest TWRP release.

everyone who uses this should thank Ichigo when you see his post's. he has taken on the task to keep this updated for your use as me nor webdroidmt no longer have this device. Thanks Ichigo!

download the new smirkit app here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q0wa5y0mgrgr433/Smirkit.apk

install the app, click install! no need to reboot to recovery and flash like before.

use smirkit as you normally would. this would be a new installer of smirkit

some info to take note of.

The advantages of an app over a flashable zip are:
1)You can install smirkit within the app instead of having to reboot into recovery
2)It will install smirkit on alt roms
3)It can automatically remove smirkit if the user wants instead having to manually do it.

Two things the users should know:
1) They may get a warning when installing something via smirkit. I'm not sure why it shows, but they can just ignore the warning. Everything still works fine.
2)They may find a smirkit folder on their sdcard. They shouldn't delete this folder. It's only 30bytes.

this update includes sblood86's new cannibal open touch recovery. read below for new install instructions!
release thread here

thread cleaned. I wanted to lighten the load and provide a way of flashing up-to-date files so nobody gets left behind. as cwm gets updated, I will update this to include it. in this update is the new twrp 2.1.1. I never got a response from him officially, but u guys need a way so I'm leaving it up until he says otherwise. I do beg u to visit his site anyway if u use this so he gets his views/clicks. if you can spare some change donate to them.
http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

I wanna thank kinfauns for rewriting the way the scripts now run, to verify the md5 before flashing the Bootloader or Recovery. this guy does a lot behind the scenes, so thank this man often! without his help that twrp update wouldn't have came so soon. if u have time, I highly suggest reading his guide to familiarize yourself with the kindle fire. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23747567

credits to:
hashcode - updating fff to v1.4a with a boot mode selection.. awesome!
dees_troy - updating twrp and squashing an old issue that I'm so glad is fixed!
sblood86 - providing support on our kindles and helping me very regularly lol.
jrummy - developers of root browser
doomlord and team utterchaos - for providing us with support and updates to our cwmtouch!
pokey9000 - for creating the bootloader on all of our devices!
Kinfaun - for assisting me with writing the scripts and method.
teamwin - for starting us off with twrp
webdroidmt - staying involved and updating smirkit since i no longer have this device!
Ichigo - taking on the task of updating smirkit since me and webdroidmt no longer have this device! (thank this man when you can)

you NEED root, busybox, and a custom recovery to do this. (any recovery u can flash a zip with)

______________________install instructions___________________________

[*]firstly, grab terminal emulator and busybox if you don't already have it off the market.

[*]now, download goomanager from the market

[*]in goomanager, tap browse all files, then devs/smirkis/otter/smirkit and download smirkit-installer
-needs to be updated. use dropbox link for now

OR

[*]download smirkit-installer directly here (thank Ichigot for this update):

http://db.tt/8ZLuCqmE

[*]flash smirkit-installer.zip in recovery using goomanager, or manually

______________________how to use smirkit____________________________

[*]boot back into the OS and open terminal emulator.

[*]first, type SU then hit enter

[*]now, type smirkit then hit enter

it should end up like this:
Screenshot_2012-06-20-14-39-49.png

then this:
Screenshot_2012-06-20-14-40-00.png

from here, make a selection from the menu.

enjoy!

[*]WARNING: IF YOU FLASH A NEW ROM IT WILL REMOVE THE FILES NECESSARY FOR THIS TO WORK. JUST REFLASH THIS IN RECOVERY AGAIN OR ASK YOUR ROM DEVELOPER TO SUPPORT THE NEW SMIRKIT IN THEIR ROM!
[*]

Last edited:

dieandromeda

Apr 15, 2011
of course, but u will need firefirefire to get into recovery. but the order you do it in doesn't really matter

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

my kindle already have firefirefire and twrp, planning to test clockwork with stock bootloader expecting it will work without using fff. i guess i still need fff to boot into clockwork recovery, am i right?.

Reactions: melmantheman

dieandromeda

Apr 15, 2011
i heard we can boot into clockwork recovery via rom manager, what i want is the booting using power button in case something happened that i can't boot normally

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
i heard we can boot into clockwork recovery via rom manager, what i want is the booting using power button in case something happened that i can't boot normally

u can use rom manager to do backups n restores n installs, but reboot to recovery option does not work in rom manager.

so install cwm, and firefirefire bootloader

fredspierson

Jan 11, 2011
After installing cwm can't boot into twrp where my previous backups are done. Can you have both methods or have to reinstall twrp with gscript?

dieandromeda

Apr 15, 2011
you can, but some kernels use different wifi drivers too, so its easier right now to flash kernels thru recovery. which kernel are you referring to?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

i'm referring to stock kernel and intersectRaven... i'm not good in adb, thats why i always prefer script just like your gscript or flashing through recovery... can u point me to the right direction how to flash kernel using recovery... i guess i need to compile in zip file with script/signed/etc...

ndoren

Apr 6, 2010
For quite a while IntersectRaven's kernels have been properly zipped for easy installation via TWRP or CWM. Just copy the .zip to your Kindle,and install via your recovery. His zip will automatically update the wifi driver, as well.

However, as a word of warning... PLEASE do a recovery-based backup of your system prior to installing any new kernel. If you don't like the new kernel's performance, you can reinstall the original kernel by restoring the /boot partition from the backup you made before installing the new kernel. Also since IntersectRaven's .zip will replace your original wifi driver, make a BACKUP of your original wifi driver in case you ever want to go back to your original kernel. To do this, use something like root explorer to copy /etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko to /etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko.orig. Then you can copy it back if you reinstall the original kernel.

By the way, IntersectRaven's kernel will only overclock newer CPUs that are internallly flagged as factory authorized to run at 1.2 Ghz. You will still see a performance improvement with his kernel compared to stock even at 1 Ghz. Neall

dieandromeda

Apr 15, 2011
^thanks for the clarification. btw can we use this apps to install supercharger?. there are .sh files included in supercharger pack. is there any precaution that i need to worry?

chairshot215

Oct 23, 2011
Philadelphia
Sorry, little late on the follow up question but just to be sure, if I have TWRP installed and looking to make the change to CWM I basically then would just install the APK, run the App and then just select the option to install CWM and call it a day????????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    6/02/13This update has been provided by Ichigo™
    TWRP has just been updated to 2.4.4.0, here is a new smirkit v.2.8 that contains this latest TWRP release.

everyone who uses this should thank Ichigo when you see his post's. he has taken on the task to keep this updated for your use as me nor webdroidmt no longer have this device. Thanks Ichigo!

download the new smirkit app here
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q0wa5y0mgrgr433/Smirkit.apk

install the app, click install! no need to reboot to recovery and flash like before.

use smirkit as you normally would. this would be a new installer of smirkit

some info to take note of.

The advantages of an app over a flashable zip are:
    1)You can install smirkit within the app instead of having to reboot into recovery
    2)It will install smirkit on alt roms
    3)It can automatically remove smirkit if the user wants instead having to manually do it.

Two things the users should know:
    1) They may get a warning when installing something via smirkit. I'm not sure why it shows, but they can just ignore the warning. Everything still works fine.
    2)They may find a smirkit folder on their sdcard. They shouldn't delete this folder. It's only 30bytes.

this update includes sblood86's new cannibal open touch recovery. read below for new install instructions!
    release thread here

thread cleaned. I wanted to lighten the load and provide a way of flashing up-to-date files so nobody gets left behind. as cwm gets updated, I will update this to include it. in this update is the new twrp 2.1.1. I never got a response from him officially, but u guys need a way so I'm leaving it up until he says otherwise. I do beg u to visit his site anyway if u use this so he gets his views/clicks. if you can spare some change donate to them.

I wanna thank kinfauns for rewriting the way the scripts now run, to verify the md5 before flashing the Bootloader or Recovery. this guy does a lot behind the scenes, so thank this man often! without his help that twrp update wouldn't have came so soon. if u have time, I highly suggest reading his guide to familiarize yourself with the kindle fire. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23747567

credits to:
    hashcode - updating fff to v1.4a with a boot mode selection.. awesome!
    dees_troy - updating twrp and squashing an old issue that I'm so glad is fixed!
    sblood86 - providing support on our kindles and helping me very regularly lol.
    jrummy - developers of root browser
    doomlord and team utterchaos - for providing us with support and updates to our cwmtouch!
    pokey9000 - for creating the bootloader on all of our devices!
    Kinfaun - for assisting me with writing the scripts and method.
    teamwin - for starting us off with twrp
    webdroidmt - staying involved and updating smirkit since i no longer have this device!
    Ichigo - taking on the task of updating smirkit since me and webdroidmt no longer have this device! (thank this man when you can)

you NEED root, busybox, and a custom recovery to do this. (any recovery u can flash a zip with)

______________________install instructions___________________________

[*]firstly, grab terminal emulator and busybox if you don't already have it off the market.

[*]now, download goomanager from the market

[*]in goomanager, tap browse all files, then devs/smirkis/otter/smirkit and download smirkit-installer
    -needs to be updated. use dropbox link for now

OR

[*]download smirkit-installer directly here (thank Ichigot for this update):

http://db.tt/8ZLuCqmE

[*]flash smirkit-installer.zip in recovery using goomanager, or manually

______________________how to use smirkit____________________________

[*]boot back into the OS and open terminal emulator.

[*]first, type SU then hit enter

[*]now, type smirkit then hit enter

it should end up like this:
    Screenshot_2012-06-20-14-39-49.png

then this:
    Screenshot_2012-06-20-14-40-00.png

from here, make a selection from the menu.

enjoy!

[*]WARNING: IF YOU FLASH A NEW ROM IT WILL REMOVE THE FILES NECESSARY FOR THIS TO WORK. JUST REFLASH THIS IN RECOVERY AGAIN OR ASK YOUR ROM DEVELOPER TO SUPPORT THE NEW SMIRKIT IN THEIR ROM!
    [*]
    smirkit updates

Since the newest TWRP 2.3.3.1 seems to be working properly, I've updated smirkit to version 2.2. It includes COTR 2.1, TWRP 2.3.3.1, FFF 1.4a bootloader, stock bootloader and the stock recovery. You need 4 things to use this utility:
    1. The ability to boot into an OS (rom).
    2. The ability to flash the smirkit zipfile.
    3. Be rooted and have busybox installed.
    4. Have Android Terminal Emulator App.

See smirkis' OP for the simple install/usage instructions. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22608974&postcount=1 Disregard any reference to goo manager at this time, as this version (2.2) of smirkit is not on Goo. Currently 2.2 is only available here, as well as 2.3:

smirkit 2.2 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98505171/smirkit-v2.2-TWRP2.3_COTR2.1.zip

smirkit 2.3 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98505171/smirkit-v2.3-TWRP2.4_COTR2.1.zip

NOTE: If you are using Hashcode's pure AOSP 4.2.1 rom, it does not have busybox. See here for additional instructions. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35407052&postcount=328

As I've posted before, this utility is super easy to use and it works. If you are having issues with COTR, TWRP, or FFF 1.4a, post them in their proper threads for support.

EDIT: I have added smirkit 2.3, it includes the latest TWRP 2.4.0.0, there are no other changes. Smirkit has been tested and is installing TWRP 2.4 correctly but I have not tested any TWRP functions. So, you can flash now, or wait for some user feedback on the new TWRP. :)

As always, thanks to smirkis for making this utility.

Mike T
    smirkit with COTR 2.1

Spoke w/ smirkis and since he doesn't have a KF any longer, I figured I'd post a little update of smirkit with the new 2.1 version of COTR. If you haven't tried COTR yet, give it a shot as there are some pretty cool new features, including themes. Here's a link to Sblood86's COTR thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34928717&postcount=1

This smirkit is the same version 2.1 that smirkis originally released a few months ago, with TWRP 2.2.2.1 and current FFF1.4a bootloader. The only difference is the new COTR version 2.1.

Please don't bother smirkis with support questions, this is easy to use & he doesn't have a KF anymore. Just follow the instructions in the OP and you shouldn't have any problems. I guess if you're really stuck, you can post in this thread & someone will probably help. If it's a specific COTR question, post in Sblood86's thread.

Download:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98505171/smirkit-v2.1-TWRP2.2_COTR2.1.zip

Mike T
    Smirkit updated to 2.4 w/ TWRP 2.4.1

TWRP has just been updated to 2.4.1, here is a new smirkit v2.4 that contains this latest TWRP release. For those already familiar with smirkit, the instructions for install & usage are the same, if you're not sure, check the OP of this thread.

As always, I have tested the installation, MD5 checksum matches and TWRP installs correctly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98505171/smirkit-v2.4-TWRP2.4.1_COTR2.1.zip

Here is a link to Team Win's site for changelog for TWRP 2.4.1, just scroll down a bit.

Mike T
    nice stuff. btw can we install recovery without installing firefirefire bootloader first?.

of course, but u will need firefirefire to get into recovery. but the order you do it in doesn't really matter