[Q] Application specific password for google account in Lollipop

Search This thread

tck42

Feb 25, 2012
Howdy (and apologies ahead of time if this is a dup, I _did_ search, didn't find anything),

Is it just me or did application specific passwords break with Lollipop? Googled a bit and couldn't find any details. I just see postings stating that 2fa works now, but I don't see how that negates the need for app specific passwords.

I know 2fa is now supported but I'm a bit concerned to use my normal password as I'm not sure if it's stored in any way. Anyone know of any links that explain what exactly is stored and how the auth is persisted across reboots? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought that if my device was lost, with app passwords I could revoke the device without changing my main password.

The other issue is, since I'm using 2fa with the google auth app on this phone I wouldn't even be able to setup if I wiped this phone (which I will need to). At least prevously I could login to my google account on my PC, create the app specific password and sign on that way.

:confused: - TIA for any info

Petsku

Mar 12, 2013
I have just upgraded my Nexus 5 from 4.4.4 into 5.0.1 (I didn't install 5.0.0). What I did:

1. Factory reset on 4.4.4
2. Install system update into 5.0.1
2. Factory reset on 5.0.1
3. Application specific password NOT accepted on initial account setup on Nexus 5. I had to use my master password and code list because you can't read sms before account is added on the phone.

Is this really broken? I haven't found any info on this either.

tck42

Feb 25, 2012
Wow, someone else who was using this feature. That makes 2 of us at least. I guess that's why they removed it...? Yeah, unless I'm missing something it appears it's indeed broken.
The best part is this isn't really part of Android, but part of gapps; no way to report bugs for that (at least that I've found). Someone opened a bug against AOSP but they closed it as this stuff isn't part of AOSP:
{scheme}code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=57863&can=1&q=app%20specific%20password&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars
They suggested using the "google mobile help forum"; I guess this page links to it: {scheme}googlemobile.blogspot.com/2008/11/got-questions-try-new-google-mobile.html - following the link just gives an error "no group mobile found" or something similar.
All I could see to do was to post a response to their help page on signing in with app specific password to Play pointing out the inaccuracy of the article. I can't find that article anymore, it looks like it might've been removed? I received no response to that.
I can't imagine this being a very difficult feature to support, so I'm a little surprised it was removed. But hey, at least they added all sorts of eye candy and other crap I don't really care about.
I think this is a deal breaker for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding here, if someone were to acquire my phone and extract the password the key or whatever it's storing, they would then be able to access my account settings and take full ownership. If it only had the app specific password, I don't think that'd allow them to modify security settings. If it's tieing the key to the device, that's great but I still can't revoke it (doesn't show up in the app specific password page). Unacceptable (again, unless I'm misunderstanding something?).
Maybe it's time to start looking for alternatives. Wonder if any Maemo derivatives can run on the M8? It was miles ahead of Android in all departments except eye candy anyways...
I'll reply here if I see any more info - please do the same.

dragonash

Jun 21, 2007
This is totally broken.

My company uses App Specific Passwords and I just updated my Droid Turbo to Lollipop.
After the update, everything worked fine. However, I started getting google play service errors and had to wipe.
Now I need to log in using my authenticator password instead of my app specific password.

Not good

tck42

Feb 25, 2012
This is totally broken.

My company uses App Specific Passwords and I just updated my Droid Turbo to Lollipop.
After the update, everything worked fine. However, I started getting google play service errors and had to wipe.
Now I need to log in using my authenticator password instead of my app specific password.

Not good

Agreed. Quite unfortunate, but I can't find anyone outside of this thread and a few random posts that seem to actually care.

Thanks for confirmation that this is still a problem, btw. I'm still not sure if there's anyplace to even raise this to Google...

ieio

Mar 24, 2015
i just spent an hour trying to understand why this smart feature wasn't working on my new mobile with a stock andorid lollipop! at least i feel less lonely now...
i sent a feedback to google even if i don't think they'll reply.. i opened a ticket on AOSP website (Issue 189310) if you want to check their reply.. sorry but i can't post outside links