Razr HD & Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Search This thread

scylk

Jun 10, 2013
Hey, I'm sorry to ask again, but i'm kinda desperate... there's no way to only replace an outer glass ?

I broke mine this morning, and the lcd and the digitizer still works perfectly...

The total screen assembly from etradesupply would cost 202 EUR to me (that's about 266 USD), while I can find outer glass very cheap:
amazon.com/Replacement-Outer-Screen-Glass-Motorola/dp/B00AJI1R8M
sinomobileparts.com/for-motorola-droid-razr-hd-xt925-front-glass-outer-lens-replacement_p4682.html
parts4repair.com/touch-lens-screen-for-motorola-razr-hd-xt925

Why they would sell outer glasses if there's no way we can use them... Are all these products just scam ? :eek:

As I don't live in USA, I don't think I can get a glass fix from moto for 100$ (it's very cheap...)

I don't know what to do... :<

Last edited:

spc_hicks09

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com
Hey, I'm sorry to ask again, but i'm kinda desperate... there's no way to only replace an outer glass ?

I broke mine this morning, and the lcd and the digitizer still works perfectly...

The total screen assembly from etradesupply would cost 202 EUR to me (that's about 266 USD), while I can find outer glass very cheap:
amazon.com/Replacement-Outer-Screen-Glass-Motorola/dp/B00AJI1R8M
sinomobileparts.com/for-motorola-droid-razr-hd-xt925-front-glass-outer-lens-replacement_p4682.html
parts4repair.com/touch-lens-screen-for-motorola-razr-hd-xt925

Why they would sell outer glasses if there's no way we can use them... Are all these products just scam ? :eek:

As I don't live in USA, I don't think I can get a glass fix from moto for 100$ (it's very cheap...)

I don't know what to do... :<

You can replace ONLY the outer glass. There's a thin layer of glue between the glass and the actual LCD screen. You have to heat it up to over 180 degrees to seperate them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

erikoink

Jul 15, 2013
Austin
Nice! Thanks for the info. Definitely tucking this away for future reference. Not quite ballzy enough to do this to my own phone. But if I ever need to, I'll be back!

robstunner

May 13, 2010
Chicagoland
Bumping a few month old post, but has anyone done the EV40 Battery in the RAZR HD housing? I've read the whole thread, post 3 says you can, then a few pages later it says you cant (but mentions the eB40 battery) and then even later it says you need to solder as well as other stuff.

Im looking at a XT925 since they are cheap, and a back cover is $27 on eBay, $60 for the battery. $87 on top of a $200 RAZR HD LTE (rogers) seems worthy, unless it involves soldering and wishful thinking as earlier described.

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
Bumping a few month old post, but has anyone done the EV40 Battery in the RAZR HD housing? I've read the whole thread, post 3 says you can, then a few pages later it says you cant (but mentions the eB40 battery) and then even later it says you need to solder as well as other stuff.

Im looking at a XT925 since they are cheap, and a back cover is $27 on eBay, $60 for the battery. $87 on top of a $200 RAZR HD LTE (rogers) seems worthy, unless it involves soldering and wishful thinking as earlier described.
maxx battery won't fit in regular housing.

if you can get a maxx back, it will fit.

soldering is necessary if you want to use an EB40 battery in your Razr HD. EV40 has compatible connector.

Reactions: robstunner

pcfist

Aug 20, 2013
Penza
So after seeing mixed posts, can the regular HD be converted into a Maxx HD with just simply the battery and a Maxx back?

Did it about 2 weeks ago with German version of Razr HD. Disassembled and replaced the battery & back housing the same day I got the phone. It does work, but I am not sure if battery capacity actually changed, because I haven't used EV30 (stock battery) long enough (I only turned the phone on for like 20 minutes to make sure it is working, then turned it off to install the EV40 battery.)
I used the kit from CellPhoneRepairShop, it includes an EV40 battery and replacement back housing for Razr MAXX HD.
I have to say that it wasn't easy to install. Installation is fairly easy until you get to back housing. The replacement housing comes without additional hardware such as buttons etc., so the most difficult part is removing parts from old housing (vibrating motor, camera glass, LED flash, headphone jack and side buttons) and installing them into new housing. Replacing camera glass and flash were major PITA for me :) Replacing the battery itself is fairly easy, you only have to unplug the connector and remove the battery from the housing; it is held in place with adhesive tape that can be reused on new battery.
I forgot to take photos but I can write some more details if someone here needs an advice on how to replace the battery. The CellPhoneRepairShop does not provide installation/disassembly instructions.

P.S. So now I have European Razr HD with Maxx battery installed. So at least I can confirm it can actually be done. If someone has any idea how to check battery capacity programmatically, any help will be appreciated.

M

mentose457

Did it about 2 weeks ago with German version of Razr HD. Disassembled and replaced the battery & back housing the same day I got the phone. It does work, but I am not sure if battery capacity actually changed, because I haven't used EV30 (stock battery) long enough (I only turned the phone on for like 20 minutes to make sure it is working, then turned it off to install the EV40 battery.)
I used the kit from CellPhoneRepairShop, it includes an EV40 battery and replacement back housing for Razr MAXX HD.
I have to say that it wasn't easy to install. Installation is fairly easy until you get to back housing. The replacement housing comes without additional hardware such as buttons etc., so the most difficult part is removing parts from old housing (vibrating motor, camera glass, LED flash, headphone jack and side buttons) and installing them into new housing. Replacing camera glass and flash were major PITA for me :) Replacing the battery itself is fairly easy, you only have to unplug the connector and remove the battery from the housing; it is held in place with adhesive tape that can be reused on new battery.
I forgot to take photos but I can write some more details if someone here needs an advice on how to replace the battery. The CellPhoneRepairShop does not provide installation/disassembly instructions.

P.S. So now I have European Razr HD with Maxx battery installed. So at least I can confirm it can actually be done. If someone has any idea how to check battery capacity programmatically, any help will be appreciated.

I didnt see a battery + housing combo from CellPhoneRepairShop. Could you link us to the part you bought? Thanks.

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
If someone has any idea how to check battery capacity programmatically, any help will be appreciated.
There is no programmatic way to check battery capacity. The only thing android software sees is the voltage, which is going to be the same on both batteries.

Don't worry though, if the packaging says EV40 with 3400mah capacity, then you have the extra capacity.

Did someone try inductive charger in a NON maxx HD with maxx HD back case ?
Almost certainly it has NOT been done. it would require exposing the electronics inside the battery and soldering the charger to them. Most people have a healthy fear of doing stuff like that.

Reactions: pcfist

henhida

Nov 21, 2012
help please

tried to change LCD frame razr hd...

after successfully replacing the LCD frame and assembly, the LCD screen display color change to green...

no other color display except green...

have tried to disassembly and unplug the battery connector but screen still green...

finally im really sure the problem is from LCD..because when i tried another LCD the screen good and normal..

i dont know which LCD parts damage, when assembly-disassembly i have no broke any flex or else..

anyone help me please...

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
Yesterday, there was a heatwave in San Francisco so last night at 11:30PM, I connected my RAZR HD MAXX to the charger and then when I tried to use the phone at 1:30AM or 2 hours later and not turning the lights in the room on, the phone felt funny so turning the light on, I noticed the battery is swollen and the back basically is 95% off except for the top part from a little to the camera to the top. I can get a new battery but how do I secure the back to the housing since it seems like there is adhesive tape from the battery to the back but it doesn't seem like the back is secure to the rest of the housing in any way. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

djhbomber1

Oct 8, 2013
Volume Key Replacement

GREAT tutorial!
I just dropped my phone and it hit on the middle of the volume key, bending it so that volume down is always pressed. Obviously it needs replacing, but I'm not sure how to do it. I haven't taken anything apart yet because I want to understand how to do it first.
Based on your experience with these takedowns, how would I go about replacing the volume key? Based on the pictures shown, it seems like there is a separate housing for the button.

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
GREAT tutorial!
I just dropped my phone and it hit on the middle of the volume key, bending it so that volume down is always pressed. Obviously it needs replacing, but I'm not sure how to do it. I haven't taken anything apart yet because I want to understand how to do it first.
Based on your experience with these takedowns, how would I go about replacing the volume key? Based on the pictures shown, it seems like there is a separate housing for the button.

I just swapped parts on mines today and for the button, it's part of the back as all you do is remove the three screws which are Torx T3 sized and the power and volume buttons and the circuit comes out. It seems in my case, my back separated into two pieces as there is glue between the bottom and the bezel which somehow unglued itself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In case anyone feels like taking their RAZR HD apart, here are some instructions:

1. Get the following items together first:
    • Little dish, to hold screws & parts so they're not lost
    • "T-5" torx screwdriver
    • Plastic or thick wooden toothpicks, for gently prying connectors apart
    • A box to hold the screen/pcb/etc. so they won't get damaged

2. Use the torx screwdriver to remove the two screws on the bottom.
    st01.jpg

3. This little plastic trim is going to fly out of the phone, so point it at your dish on the next step so it doesn't land under your couch.
    st02.jpg

4. Hold the phone like you'd hold a newspaper, and slide the screen up. (Like it was a slider phone). It should move about 1/4"
    st03.jpg

5. The screen will now unfold from the back. It's attached with 2 ribbon cables. You remove the cables by pulling on them
    st04.jpg

6. The screen is now detached. Put it in a box on a high shelf out of your way so it's not lost or stepped on.
    st05.jpg

7. There are 10 black screws to remove. Use your T-5 Torx screwdriver. Put all of them into your dish of safekeeping.
    st06.jpg

8. The metal camera clip (item 2) is now loose. Put it in your dish.
    9. Remove the clear plastic over the speaker connector (item 1). It is held on with medium adhesive, you can use a thin blade to pry it away from the plastic. Put it in your dish.
    10. Pry the button ribbon cable (item 3) off the PCB, it is held with a light adhesive. Then pull it out of the connector in the direction of the arrow (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    st08.jpg

11. Here is the button ribbon cable detached
    st10.jpg

12. The speaker cable plug is held in a "U" shaped channel. You detach it by pulling it towards you (away from the back of the phone). (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    13. (optional) You can remove the camera by pulling the ribbon cable up. Not recommended- they are kind of annoying to re-attach.
    st09.jpg

13. Remove the plastic cover over the battery ribbon cable. It is held on with light adhesive.
    14. Push/pull the battery cable down to detach it. (HINT: see maxx pictures) Remember to use plastic/wood to do this- when shorted, these batteries can literally melt metal instantly.
    st11.jpg

15. With the 2 ribbon cables + speaker cable disconnected, you can now remove the PCB
    st12.jpg

16. The battery is attached with double-sided tape. You have to pry it out by pulling on the sides. There are 2 "battery removal" stickers on the battery which suggest that is where you should pry. However, I found that I could most easily pull up the upper-left corner, which would let me put my fingers underneath to pull it off. Regardless of how you go about it, be gentle, as the battery is somewhat malleable (like clay) so you want to bend it as little as possible
    st13.jpg

17. The locations of the double-sided tape- a little on top, and a bigger one on the bottom
    st14.jpg

18. The speaker is held in place with a light adhesive.
    st15.jpg

Update:

The screen appears to be plastic-welded into its bezel in several spots. The speaker & LED are removable, but the screen is not:
    st16.jpg st17.jpg

Update:

Closer pictures of the back cover and chassis.
    Also a picture of the EV30 battery electronics, for those considering attaching an induction charger. The arrows are:
    Red: Where the battery leads are soldered. Clearly we can't attach charger there because it would bypass the safety electronics
    Yellow: Snugly plugs into a socket on the PCB- no place to attach charging
    Green: Where the plug is attached to electronics. Your best option.
    st18.jpg st19.jpg st23.jpg
    Convert RAZR HD -> RAZR HD MAXX

Are you interested in frankensteining your RAZR HD to have the MAXX battery? YES, it can be done! You don't even have to remove the battery or speaker.

Once you have remove the PCBs from both phones, the back panels are an identical layout.

ss01.jpg

The MAXX back is slightly taller
    ss02.jpgss03.jpg
    Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Are you nervous about taking apart your Razr HD MAXX? No worries, it's exactly the same as the regular version. Let's go to it!

Remove screws and slide up
    sm01.jpg sm02.jpg

Unfold the screen and detach
    sm03.jpg sm04.jpg sm05.jpg

Close-ups of the PCB
    sm06.jpg sm07.jpg

Prying up the speaker connector
    sm08.jpg

Prying up the button cable
    sm09.jpg

Pushing down the battery connector. Once it's pushed down this far, you can pry it up from underneath (where the arrow points).
    sm10.jpg

PCB removed, and close-ups of the battery sitting in the battery tray
    sm11.jpg sm12.jpg

The MAXX battery: model EV40 ... 3300mAh!
    sm13.jpg
    Grant2, did u so that little tutorial yourself?
    Yes the pictures + text are all mine. Have the higher-resolution pix but i downsized them all to 640x640 to fit on the forums.

Thanks for the compliments!
    Its 2460/2530 mAh. I wonder what does that mean.. does it mean its in between this?
    "2460/2530 mAh (min/typ)" ... i take that to mean:

2460 mAh = minimum (guaranteed by the manufacturing process and/or quality assurance testing)
    2530 mAh = typical (most batteries will have this amount)

What's interesting is the "9.3/10Wh (min/typ)", which has double the tolerance (7%) as the mAh (2.8%)

2460 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.3Wh
    2530 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.6Wh

So I suspect that the package, for whatever reason, overstates the "typical" Wh slightly.