[Q] Dell Streak (White) Stuck logo flashing lights loop

Search This thread

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
Hello & yes, yet ANOTHER person with this issue. This is what I've done:

It all started by going out to unlockr's page & following their rooting how-to. When I did this it put it in the never ending dell screen flashing lights loop. I've researched quite a few hrs on this. This is what I tried:

1) Doing factory restore (holding volume buttons & pwr buttons down) & choosing restore.

2) Borrowed a buddies SD card & tried a restore (did nothing)

3) Followed a couple of guys instructions on doing a restore one of them being here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=776883

After following the directions I did see it look like it was updating back to the 1.6 OS, but after it rebooted it was still stuck in the Dell flashing loop cycle.

SO I did probably the dumbest thing I could do & took it back to Best Buy who is shipping it off... most likely to get my warranty canceled, but I didn't know what else to do. I had purchased their protection plan, so I'm not sure how it's gonna go. They would have replaced it in the store, but I had already returned my 1st one as it wouldn't boot right out of the box (not my fault).

So I figure if they don't flash it at Dell & get it back to working, I'll have to keep working on it myself to correct the issue....

So I guess my question is, any advise on why mine is being so difficult or is this just the way it is & it takes several attempts to flash these things sometimes? Or has Dell implemented a security feature in the new releases & that's what is causing my headache?

Those of you who feel the need to rain down the "Dumb thing to do returning it" please save those comments as I've already stated "I know".... I just need some positive input on getting this thing back on "it's feet" IF Dell doesn't fix it for me.

I will keep you posted on the Best Buy/Dell Drama that I'm sure will start up... I will say that if it's not fixed, I can't say that I'll continue with paying Best Buy $10 a month for a protection plan, as they supposedly will replace the phone if it was damaged in any way. If anyone has info or a story on that part of it I'd like to hear it as well.

Thanks in advance!

rodjordan

Dec 5, 2008
Look for the upgrading downgrading guide in xda. Nornally starting from 4399 build is a good start to get you back up and running.

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/317549/how-to-go-back-from-21-to-00-builds/&source=android-home&ved=0CBoQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNH7W3lUKYibzBQg4qVNxKs955Q0LQ

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

topshelf95

Aug 25, 2010
DON'T USE THE UPGRADING/DOWNGRADING GUIDE!! IT WILL BRICK YOUR WHITE STREAK!!

The white Dell Streak is known to have something different going on with it. There is a special tool (QDLTool) that is needed to upgrade it/unbrick it. It takes you directly to stock 2.2 and you can do what you want from there. See this thread here for more information and a fix.

http://android.modaco.com/content/d...24010/warning-white-dell-streak-is-different/

Last edited:

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the knowledge! Didn't know there was a difference, although I suspected something was amiss when I was doing what I was instructed to do but not getting results....

Any more info is appreciated so keep it coming!!!

decoyeb

Jul 7, 2008
erm not that im saying this BUT you got protection(inshureance)accidently drop it in a sink full of water or some such like acident pay your excess and get a new one.

but i dint say that.There norm pritty good at replaceing your phone after such an acident

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
We'll see what happens when I get the phone back... the post from TopShelf95 may just have saved it from a fate similar to that! HA!

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
FOR WHITE DELL STREAKS

You'll need the QDLTools for this... so please search/google the links or posts for that.

Typed instructions from these posted from videos that I can't link to yet as I'm a noobe here...

(Hope I didn't fat finger & mistyped anything so be on the safe side & don't cut and paste command line stuff)

1) Start, type CMD in the “programs search area”, CTL, SHIFT & Enter to start command window in Admin mode.
2) Type “bcdedit –set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS & press “enter”
3) Type “bcdedit -set testsigning on” & press “enter”
4) Reboot
5) Go to the directory where you’ve stored the QDLTools (ex. C:\Streak\RepairTool) , then into the subfolders until you find the driver folder, open the subfolder “Driver_2.067”, Then “Test Certificate” .
6) Right click on qcusbtest & install cert
7) Choose “place all certificates in the following store” & browse
8) Install cert in the “Trusted Publishers” store, when done click “Ok”
9) Right Click on the qcusbtest cert again & select “Install Certificate” again
10) Choose “place all certificates in the following store” & browse
11) Now install cert in the “Trusted Root Certification Authorites” store
12) Click “Ok” when done
13) Remove & replace battery in Streak.
14) Hold down the Volume Up button & plug in USB cable
15) PC should detect connection & install drivers (which will fail)
16) Open control panel & go to device manager
17) Locate the “Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9002” (if it doesn’t have a yellow exclamation mark by it, you have the driver & can skip forward to
18) Right click & select “Update Driver Software”
19) Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
20) Select “Let me pick from a list of…”
21) Choose “Show All Devices” & click “Next”
22) Click on “Have Disk” & browse to the repair folder, drivers are in the Driver_2.067 folder, if you are using 64bit OS go to WIN64 (Win32 for 32bit)
23) Select WNET unless there is a folder for your version of Windows (for 64bit choose AMD64 unless you have an Intel Itanium CPU)
24) Select “qcser.inf”, click Open, then “Ok”
25) Choose “Qualcomm Incorporated” & choose “Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9002”, then click “Next”.
26) Click “Yes” if you get an Update Driver Warning dialogue box, then “close” once installed.
27) Now go back to QDLTool folder
28) DISCONNECT USB CABLE FROM STREAK
29) Start the QDLTool utility
30) On the QDLTool Upgrade Build screen the area “Device” with “Port:” in it should say “Not Connected”.
31) Make sure USB cable is UNPLUGGED & remove batter from the Streak.
32) LEAVE BATTERY OUT FOR AT LEAST ONE MINUTE
33) Replace battery & install back cover on Streak
34) Hold down Volume Up button & connect USB cable to go back into diagnostics mode
35) “Port” in the Device window will change to ”Qalcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9002 (COM4)” once the Streak has been identified.
36) Click “Run” to start the update. Takes from 3 to 4 minutes typically.
37) IF YOU GET A FAILURE AT THIS POINT go back to steps 31 thru 34. Wait for step 35 & follow 36.
38) When it says “Waiting for Reboot” your Streak should reboot itself, ready to go into Fastboot mode
39) IF IT FAILS AT THIS POINT: your ADB drivers for fastboot are not installed correctly, so fastboot may be erroring, install drivers & restart steps 28 thru 36.
40) At this point your device should have been updated & should soon finish booting into the updated Android release.
41) Take your PC out of Test mode by going to “Start”, type CMD in the “programs search area”, CTL, SHIFT & Enter to start command window in Admin mode
42) Type in “bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions
43) Type in “bcdedit –set testsigning off
44) Reboot

Last edited:

bigfoots1

Nov 11, 2010
other solution

Solution # 2

Take the phone back to where you bought it and get the black one.

As some of you may know my white one met similar fate and after hours of getting no where i just took it back and got the black one.
after 20 minutes of getting it home i had froyo 2.2 running on it.

besides..do you really want a white phone? lol
i didn't. they were supposed to give me a black one to begin with..

I told the returns lady i wanted a black one and they gave me a white one. when they booted up the phone it didnt boot and they did not say one word. they just went and got me a black one.
Frankly this was the only reason i bought one from bestbuy..
it certainly wasnt because of their pricing ;)

Good luck.

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
Bigfoot, if you'll reread my original post you'll see that I've already returned one & tried to return the white one, but they would only allow one instore return. I don't care if it's white or black (I'm not racist HA!) it's gonna be in a Otterbox Defender anyway. I just want a phone/tablet that works at this point.

We'll see how the above mentioned "fix" works if I have to install it when I get my phone back.

Hebinator

Nov 11, 2009
I have the white streak too and I can tell you that the QDLTool works like a dream. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you will have 2.2 on it in no time. The Streak is virtually impossible to perma-brick. Since QDLTool works on a lower level than fastboot, it will work even when all else fails.

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
FINALLY (update)

So after 42 days I FINALLY got my phone back from Best Buy... WORST customer experience... I would tell the whole experience, but I'll just make it short... they couldn't find it at one point, they shipped it back 42 days later, my 16 gig sd card is missing from it & when I got it back, they'd not reflashed the phone. So they did nothing but basically steal my sd card & gave it back to me....

ANYWAY.... After I went back to BB to find out what they were gonna do about my phone not working (which I'll have to call mgr tomorrow) I got home & followed the instructions given in this thread to flash my white dell streak & IT WORKED!!!! No issue 1st time around... Perfect, almost as easy as jailbreaking an iPhone... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!! You guys are awesome...

Now... I have a friend who is also asking will this process work for the Black Dell Streaks... so will it?

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
also

this puts your system into an unlocked status which enables you to download the official Dell 2.2 ver. One downside to it is it shuts off your wi-fi hotspot...

Good thing about the Dell ver. it fixes the buttons sensitivity for one thing that seems to be an issue on the QDAtools ver... I'm sure later builds that is fixed though (would think it would be)

Raikoue

Dec 18, 2010
so by using the tool method on my white streak, does it mean my phone is rooted? or is there more i need to do to root my white streak?

johnnydeathmatch

Aug 24, 2010
Boise, ID
so by using the tool method on my white streak, does it mean my phone is rooted? or is there more i need to do to root my white streak?

No, it won't be rooted. But that's easy to do. You can stay with Dell stock ROMs (download from their website) or go with DJ_Steve's ROM which is rooted and has lots of other features. Rooting isn't hard, though, if you stay with stock. Just use Super One Click and you'll be good. I'm not sure if either method is supposed to work, but my wife's only was rooted by the second method (rage against the cage or something like that).

Also, QDL Tool works for both black and white streaks.

FBCoach

Dec 27, 2010
I have the same situation as the OP. However when I try the instructions I make it all the way to the part of running the QDL tool. There I get an error message at about 12 seconds, during the section just after Run HEX success. The error says:
ERROR[D14]:streaming hello Failed!
ERROR: Download fail!

It then says to remove battery and try again, which I do and get another failure.

Any thoughts besides taking a hammer to this thing?

cyron

Sep 7, 2007
after the first time it went through the fastboot (Downloading AMSS) it rebooted and I had to manually put it back into the fastboot mode (hold camera) for it to fishing writing everything else.
It Worked Perfect!

logun1970

Nov 30, 2010
I've moved on to the Samsung Galaxy Note... My Streak did it's year or so service as well as it could (it's still working without issue) but I wanted a phone that had actual support, I am an IT tech by day & just don't wanna have to mess with yet another system that I have to do go thru a few hundred pages of forums to figure out the true method of getting something to work or install. iPhone hackers have Android beat in that area for sure... 1 click root/jailbreak is the way it should be.... but iPhone doesn't have a 5.3" screen!!!!!!