[FIX] GPS Fix per Verizon Rep for S3

Search This thread

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
The Google Locations message is new in latest Google updates. Must be done inside Google and not in locations settings. Uninstall updates is in settings>app management. :cool:

manifested

Jan 9, 2013
So would the majority say that this method works because my GPS feels completed F'ed up?

edit: So apparently following the directions from the OP, I now get an error when attempting to redownload the update from the play store. Any solutions?

This happened to me too. I'm not rooted.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the play store since I cleared data, rebooted and still got this problem. Since this seemed to work before, I wonder if this is because of the OTA updates? I don't know much about it, but perhaps there's an incompatibility with the original maps app (which ran on a previous version of Android) and the newest version.

Here's the text of the error I get:

Update for "Maps" could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-5:AEC-0])

Anyone have ideas for a possible fix?

Last edited:

manifested

Jan 9, 2013
Update on the Maps and Play Store Problem:

If you run into a problem updating/installing apps after following the directions in the OP, I cleared the data for both the Play Store and the Google Services Framework again and this seems to have cleared it up.

AngryGibson

Jan 30, 2012
Los Angeles

If you run into a problem updating/installing apps after following the directions in the OP, I cleared the data for both the Play Store and the Google Services Framework again and this seems to have cleared it up.
yeah, i got mine working as well. My GPS is still jacked so I'm getting a replacement.

Gervin

Oct 5, 2006
New York
GPS & ROMS

First of all, I tried all the fixes listed here in, and nothing worked.
I called Verizon, spoke with a level 2 tech who told me that unofficially he was going to email me something that would help as there is no official fix yet. I've not receive his email yet.

However, I was flashing some ROMS experimenting, and strangely enough Kang AOSP ROM (downloaded from ROM Toolbox) the GPS worked flawlessly. Weird!

I've since tried reflashing (with wipes) CleanRom, Synergy, and the ROOT66 stock (full-wipe), and again had no GPS luck.

So, why the heck would it work fine with Kang's AOSP ROM???!!!????

I'd stay on that ROM if it weren't for the fact it's buggy as hell (such as weird screen flickers and artifacts).

Any comments or thoughts?

EDIT: Darn. I flashed back to Kank AoSP and now GPS isn't working again. ARGGGGGGG. I'm flashing back to stock and getting a replacement. Wonder if I can demand not getting a refurbished unit.

Last edited:

rmtobler

Sep 21, 2010
EDIT: Darn. I flashed back to Kank AoSP and now GPS isn't working again. ARGGGGGGG. I'm flashing back to stock and getting a replacement. Wonder if I can demand not getting a refurbished unit.

Never had a problem with the supposed refurbs they send (not even sure if I believe the replacement is refurbished, rather than just stripped down to only the phone). If I wasn't lazy I would upload a video of my GPS getting 17 satellite locks and 10ft accuracy within 5 seconds indoors, where previously I couldn't get a lock. I guess the 3rd time really is a charm.

syintiphic

Feb 10, 2012
Simple mechanical GPS fix involving tightening the back frame of the phone

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. I'd like to mention that the solution may not work for all but it did work for me after I tried just about every fix possible. For example I flashed back to stock, performed numerous battery pulls, used many of the AGPS patches, made numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioned my phone, checked different ROMs, uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, cleared data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on.

I tried all of the above methods because my GPS would take forever to get a fix both indoors and outdoors (I know it usually takes longer to get a fix indoors), wouldn't hold the fix while navigating and my GPS apps kept stating "Searching for GPS", would see 20+ satellites but would never lock on to them...man it was really frustrating. I just about gave up.

However, as I was trying to follow another procedure to fix my GPS which required me to pull my battery I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! I've tested for a day and I consistently got a lock on the satellites in about 2-15 seconds depending on my location. My navigation also worked and wouldn't cut in and out.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a GS3 definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure everything is secure. I've tried my GPS on the stock and CM 10 stable ROMs and I have achieved GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. Maybe this has already been shared but I figured I would post in case some of you haven't seen it yet.

Cheers.

metalcated

Aug 11, 2010
glassnetworks.net
Google Now definitely confused the best of all of us on enabling Google Apps Location. Took me reading through lots of posts in this thread to finally find it. I think that was a fail on Googles part.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

crjjr

Sep 13, 2012
I've used this fix on several ROMs. It worked on Executioner but hasn't on other ROMs. Thanks for the advice. I always give it a shot as it's quick and easy to do if GPS isn't working.

sKunkman

Nov 17, 2010
Google Now definitely confused the best of all of us on enabling Google Apps Location. Took me reading through lots of posts in this thread to finally find it. I think that was a fail on Googles part.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Holy crap. I have been searching for this too. All I had to do was launch Google now, go to a sample card that was telling me "Enable Google Apps location access", click on the settings for that card, and turn it on. It was already turned on (checked) in the Location Settings in the system menu, but this brought me to a different menu.

All that work!

viskey

Oct 19, 2011

This didn't work for me. i still get the error. i even cleared data on both and rebooted before i tried the update and that even failed...any more ideas?? thanks everyone!!

Dearborn1977

Oct 21, 2010
GPS is failure-prone in my experience

I'm on my third S3. On each of my previous ones the GPS eventually stopped working altogether - would not lock regardless of how long I let it search for satellites. Even after reflashing back to stock, full wipes etc nothing would fix it. At some point, call Verizon and tell them your GPS won't lock and they'll send you a new one. I really hope Samsung has fixed whatever is causing this problem.

osafer

Jan 16, 2011
I posted this for a new member who could not post on his own. Welcome and thank Silver1882 for this potentially great find if it can be proven out by the senior members that have documented this problem with GPS. If it can't be proven we will pull it down and/or the mods can move it as a potential fix to general.

"My gps wasn't working on my phone. I took it to the Verizon store after I had flashed back to stock, they messed with it for a little while and then ordered me a refurbished one. I received it the next day and when I powered it on guess what the gps didn't work. So I called tech support and to my surprise the person that answered the phone actually knew what she was talking about.

She told me the gps issue is a Samsung issue, (even though is only effects Verizon and sprint phones) they are working on an update to fix it. But in the mean time she told me how to do a work around to get it working. Here is what she had me do."

Go to Settings
Application manager
click all at top
go to Google services framework
clear data

go to settings
Application manager
click all at top
go to maps
clear data
uninstall updates

Go to location services
turn off VZW Location service(leave it off to)

Power cycle phone
update maps from android market

now the gps should be working.

"After she walked me threw that I went back to my original phone and tried it on that one to and my gps started working on that one also so I sent Verizon there refurbished one back.

I hope this helps others and they will quick blaming the ROM for the problem."

Thanks Silver. I will bookmark this one as I have seen this reported on all rom thread.:cool:

Thanks OP I will give a try...

fbcalidude

Dec 18, 2010
California
I was having some problems locking up my gps, I'm running CleanROM 5.5.2, I went to the play store and got fixgps and that worked for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

W4LLY

May 17, 2010
I was having some problems locking up my gps, I'm running CleanROM 5.5.2, I went to the play store and got fixgps and that worked for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Not working with any ROM I try. What is a ROM where this is working 100%? I will try and flash it and see if my gps inside is just f'd up somehow.

brandonrossl

Aug 9, 2012
Not working with any ROM I try. What is a ROM where this is working 100%? I will try and flash it and see if my gps inside is just f'd up somehow.

There's no rom that works 100% because of hardware problems or people not flashing properly.
I have Cleanrom lite, leankernel, and the newest raido and RPM and it works great.
When in recovery, wipe everything except the external SD card, then flash rom, kernel, radio, rpm and see if it then works.

mhwa

Jul 31, 2011
Thanks for posting this it worked like a charm for me. I have been playing a lot of ingress and it seems like I lose GPS lock after some amount of time. The symptoms are identical to screw fix issue where I can see 20+ satellites, but could not lock. A factory restore, multiple reboots, and occasionally puling puling the battery have all sometimes worked over the last couple of weeks when the problem occurs. Most of the time I just give up. I have checked the screws multiple times, but they are very tight. I tried wiping data on the two apps, removed updates from maps, rebooted, and instantly locked onto 18 satellites. Hoping this will work consistently.

viskey

Oct 19, 2011
I followed the directions exactly and when I go to the play store to update maps, it says no connection, which I do have. After that I tried clearing data on play store too and still says no connection. Any ideas?

Edit: fixed now. It fixed itself on its on. Not sure.....

Last edited:

VWFeature

Mar 11, 2012
*Something* worked. Thanks!!

Something worked for me- I did this, installed and tried to run several of the GPS fix apps; all seemed to see satellites outside, but couldn't get lock... Then started Google Maps, hit the location button, and in less than 10 sec, had location. Usually it would time out!
Hope this keeps working.... better to have something work and not know why than not work, can't be fixed and know exactly whats wrong...

Go to Settings
Application manager
click all at top
clear data

go to settings
Application manager
click all at top
go to maps
clear data
uninstall updates

Go to location services

Power cycle phone
update maps from android

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
Since this was just replied ro and as an fyi to anyone else that stumbles by:

Guys, this thread is ancient. The information in it applied to the ORIGINAL 4.0.4 version of android (I think). Before being necro'ed this thread had been dead for well over a year.

Probably best move along and let this die now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I posted this for a new member who could not post on his own. Welcome and thank Silver1882 for this potentially great find if it can be proven out by the senior members that have documented this problem with GPS. If it can't be proven we will pull it down and/or the mods can move it as a potential fix to general.

"My gps wasn't working on my phone. I took it to the Verizon store after I had flashed back to stock, they messed with it for a little while and then ordered me a refurbished one. I received it the next day and when I powered it on guess what the gps didn't work. So I called tech support and to my surprise the person that answered the phone actually knew what she was talking about.

She told me the gps issue is a Samsung issue, (even though is only effects Verizon and sprint phones) they are working on an update to fix it. But in the mean time she told me how to do a work around to get it working. Here is what she had me do."

Go to Settings
    Application manager
    click all at top
    clear data

go to settings
    Application manager
    click all at top
    go to maps
    clear data
    uninstall updates

Go to location services

Power cycle phone
    update maps from android market

now the gps should be working.

"After she walked me threw that I went back to my original phone and tried it on that one to and my gps started working on that one also so I sent Verizon there refurbished one back.

I hope this helps others and they will quick blaming the ROM for the problem."

Thanks Silver. I will bookmark this one as I have seen this reported on all rom thread.:cool:
    Simple mechanical GPS fix involving tightening the back frame of the phone

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. I'd like to mention that the solution may not work for all but it did work for me after I tried just about every fix possible. For example I flashed back to stock, performed numerous battery pulls, used many of the AGPS patches, made numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioned my phone, checked different ROMs, uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, cleared data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on.

I tried all of the above methods because my GPS would take forever to get a fix both indoors and outdoors (I know it usually takes longer to get a fix indoors), wouldn't hold the fix while navigating and my GPS apps kept stating "Searching for GPS", would see 20+ satellites but would never lock on to them...man it was really frustrating. I just about gave up.

However, as I was trying to follow another procedure to fix my GPS which required me to pull my battery I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! I've tested for a day and I consistently got a lock on the satellites in about 2-15 seconds depending on my location. My navigation also worked and wouldn't cut in and out.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a GS3 definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure everything is secure. I've tried my GPS on the stock and CM 10 stable ROMs and I have achieved GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. Maybe this has already been shared but I figured I would post in case some of you haven't seen it yet.

Cheers.
    Since this was just replied ro and as an fyi to anyone else that stumbles by:

Guys, this thread is ancient. The information in it applied to the ORIGINAL 4.0.4 version of android (I think). Before being necro'ed this thread had been dead for well over a year.

Probably best move along and let this die now.
    A VZ rep tells you to leave off VZ location services, I love it! I've actually never enabled it and never had a GPS problem between flashes. I guess paranoia pays off sometimes.

--
    Sent on the fly.
    "Please enable Google Services Location"

If you get this message, go into your Google account and enable sharing of location. I don't know why clearing services framework clears this option. I've never seen it before.

Remember its under your account settings, Google account.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2