Fully working Verizon S3 on T-Mobile

Search This thread

MustangFTW

May 14, 2011
Any updates on this.

Process is pretty easy for ICS vzw s3, flash stock JB image (haven't tried just updating yet), root, make APN manager pro a system app using titanium backup pro, insert preferred apns, change mobile network to global, enjoy data, MMS, calls etc on any gsm network.

If you updated to JB, you just need to root and do the same process. Rooting is kind of a hassle on JB, you need to flash a bunch of different bootloader/boot chains.

And no, you can't just change to global mode, voice and text will work but data and MMS won't.

Powers88

May 28, 2008
Process is pretty easy for ICS vzw s3, flash stock JB image (haven't tried just updating yet), root, make APN manager pro a system app using titanium backup pro, insert preferred apns, change mobile network to global, enjoy data, MMS, calls etc on any gsm network.

If you updated to JB, you just need to root and do the same process. Rooting is kind of a hassle on JB, you need to flash a bunch of different bootloader/boot chains.

And no, you can't just change to global mode, voice and text will work but data and MMS won't.

Sorry to ask what might be a dumb question but im considering buying a used S3 that is for Verizon but I would be using it on Tmo. Just want to clarify you only get Edge right? Not 3g/HSPA

Last edited:

bnmohler

Nov 3, 2010
Wilmington ,NC
That's like saying color has a major impact and what features work and such. I personally doubt it, both blue and white are built the same, just different colors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

there might be something to that.. i read somewhere that the gsm network was racist and was denying white S3's. this is why i keep a blue case on mine as it will be able to blend in and go un-noticed by the gsm bigots.

... source link

WackyJoe

Apr 29, 2012
East Coast
Any updates on the 3G or even 4G yet???

My friend's Verizon Note 2, unlocked for T-Mobile gets H at times...dunno why or if it's H+ or not. His service is Verizon and only tried my TMO sim for a day (we were testing) and he said he got H, which was a heck of a lot better than E he said...I would assume the same would be true for the GS3. I'll be testing this tomorrow, but dunno if I can do a whole day run around and see the full results.

Tracerlx

Feb 9, 2010
My friend's Verizon Note 2, unlocked for T-Mobile gets H at times...dunno why or if it's H+ or not. His service is Verizon and only tried my TMO sim for a day (we were testing) and he said he got H, which was a heck of a lot better than E he said...I would assume the same would be true for the GS3. I'll be testing this tomorrow, but dunno if I can do a whole day run around and see the full results.

I have it right now with JB and I only get EDGE. This is on a custom rom and not Stock JB.

MustangFTW

May 14, 2011

I have it right now with JB and I only get EDGE. This is on a custom rom and not Stock JB.

Right now tmobiles frequencies dont allow it to get any faster then an edge connection on VZW phones, at least for most of the US, I believe there are a couple cities that have better coverage and might get you a 3g (4g?) connection. I do know that when i unlock droid bionics it shows that im getting 3g.

Tracerlx

Feb 9, 2010
Right now tmobiles frequencies dont allow it to get any faster then an edge connection on VZW phones, at least for most of the US, I believe there are a couple cities that have better coverage and might get you a 3g (4g?) connection. I do know that when i unlock droid bionics it shows that im getting 3g.

I am willing to test in any way. Right now my signal is just bad in general with everything. Would a tmobile s3 improve signal(the amount of bars)?

MustangFTW

May 14, 2011
I am willing to test in any way. Right now my signal is just bad in general with everything. Would a tmobile s3 improve signal(the amount of bars)?

i would test it with a friends tmobile s3 before committing all the way and buying one. I do quite a few verizon S3 unlocks since i work at a cellphone shop, and they always get full bars, do you live in an odd place? Id check with tmobile to see if they have bad service in your location.

as an after thought, if youre running a custom rom, id check which radio you have flashed, and make sure its the right one, on my galaxy Nexus i had low bars and even losing signal all together because the rom came with a bad radio for T-Mobile.

Tracerlx

Feb 9, 2010
i would test it with a friends tmobile s3 before committing all the way and buying one. I do quite a few verizon S3 unlocks since i work at a cellphone shop, and they always get full bars, do you live in an odd place? Id check with tmobile to see if they have bad service in your location.

as an after thought, if youre running a custom rom, id check which radio you have flashed, and make sure its the right one, on my galaxy Nexus i had low bars and even losing signal all together because the rom came with a bad radio for T-Mobile.

I did a test with another phone and can confirm this, my apartment sucks. i want to test a tmobile radio on this verizon phone but bads things could happen

SilverTigre2010

Nov 8, 2010
Philly
My friend's Verizon Note 2, unlocked .....

I'm usually in DC/Baltimore metro areas where the signal is not bad and it must be something with the radio/baseband on the S3 because I have unlock a couple iPhone 4s and 5 using T-mobile chips and they do get 3G speeds(1.5Mbs-3Mbs). I have use Net10 and StraightTalk and same thing happen only gets Edge which is not bad for internet browsing but awful for video viewing.

pellos

Aug 12, 2006
Hello guys. Have read a million threads over the web for making my Us Cellular SCH-R530u run on Gsm network... have not yet succeeded! Instead of getting a signal icon i get a blocking one and cant remove it! tried everything, on 4.1.1 stock jb rom here. install as system app apn, titanium backup and app info! everything says ok but the icon stills remains!
What else can i do? Please help me!

on MTN network here!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive seen a couple thread that claim to get you up and running using a Tmobile Sim card in a Verizon Galaxy S3, none of them worked, either no data connection, dialer crashes, or no signal. I really needed to get this working, and i finally have!

Requirements:

• Must have this ROM installed (This is what i used, you might try other JB ROMs) ---->http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974114
      Root access after flashing JB factory image
      APN Manager PRO (Must be pro)
      Titanium Backup PRO (also must be pro)

Process:

Flash the Jelly Bean factory image as outlined in the link above, make sure to follow through the entire OP, phone will NOT be rooted after flashing so take care to install CWM after rooting in order to Flash SU and unlock the bootloader.

NOTICE:

At this point you can stick a Tmobile (Possibly AT&T?) sim in the phone, go to mobile networks and you should get a message saying "Switch to global?" hit OK. You should then have bars. if you dont get the "Switch to global" message click around in mobile networks, or switch it yourself (options are GSM, CDMA, or Global. Not sure if choosing GSM will work, I only confirmed Global)

Once you're all set and rooted on the JB ROM, install TBP and APN manager PRO. Using TBP convert APN Manager pro to a system app (Under backup/restore click APN manager pro and select convert to system app). Open up APN manager pro, Select Insert APN, and plug in your T-Mobile APN info which are readily available on the web (make sure to include the MMS fields if you want MMS to work) I used these:
    http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1979

Restart Phone, go back to mobile networks, should get a message asking to switch to Global, hit yes. Congratulations, you now have a Verzion S3 woking with a T-Mobile SIM! At this point only Edge works, i might mess around a bit more to see if 3g/HSPA+ speeds are possible.

Credits:
    Credit goes to open1your1eyes0 for the wonderful write up explaining how to flash the JB factory image.

Credit goes to lair12 for the original guide to use the S3 as a global phone, didnt work fully for alot of people but is a great starting point.
    i have 5 Verizon S3s sittin in the shop from customers that got good deals on them but want to use them on TMobile.

Droid3R:

Im guessing thats why there arent any posts explaining how to do it. Thanks for your wonderful post.

Hey MustangFTW, I'm still having trouble getting any network connection happening. Not even EDGE. :(

EDIT:

Nevermind! I got Data to work!

Follow every step of MustangFTW, but put these values in for full functionality on a T-Mobile sim:

Name: T-Mobile Data (or T-Mobile US)
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Proxy: <Not set>
    Port: <Not set>

Username: None
    Note: For the Username, enter "None" with the keypad. Do not leave it not set.
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy: <Not set>
    MMS port: <Not set>
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    Authentication type: <Not set>
    APN type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

After reboot, to make sure, enable that APN by selecting it from the APN List of the APN Pro app.
    Then check APN Settings under Mobile Network to make sure it is enabled, then Global. Then, have fun!

As you can see in the Screen Shot, I currently have Data and it works!
    Hope we can get full 4G fix in the future, plus T-Mobile is merging towers with Verizon by the end of 2012, so hope for better connection.

EDIT----------------------------------
    Add the following...
    MMS proxy: 216.155.165.50
    MMS seems to be working for me on the latest CM10.1 with the following APN and added MMS proxy.
    That's like saying color has a major impact and what features work and such. I personally doubt it, both blue and white are built the same, just different colors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

there might be something to that.. i read somewhere that the gsm network was racist and was denying white S3's. this is why i keep a blue case on mine as it will be able to blend in and go un-noticed by the gsm bigots.

... source link
    Hey MustangFTW, I'm still having trouble getting any network connection happening. Not even EDGE. :(

EDIT:

Nevermind! I got Data to work!

Follow every step of MustangFTW, but put these values in for full functionality on a T-Mobile sim:

After reboot, to make sure, enable that APN by selecting it from the APN List of the APN Pro app.
    Then check APN Settings under Mobile Network to make sure it is enabled, then Global. Then, have fun!

As you can see in the Screen Shot, I currently have Data and it works!
    Hope we can get full 4G fix in the future, plus T-Mobile is merging towers with Verizon by the end of 2012, so hope for better connection.

Nice! I forgot to add that you have to choose the APN from the APN list, will add that to OP. Thanks!
    4g lte is here

According to this NET10 Web Site, 4G LTE IS HERE

KEEP YOUR PHONE & SPEED THINGS UP WITH 4G LTE

Bring your phone to NET10 Wireless. Save half.

It’s easy to switch.
    CHECK
    More phones work with us
    than anyone else.
    CHECK PHONE COMPATIBILITY ▶

BUY
    Get a Network Access Code
    or sim and pick a plan
    SHOP NOW ▶

ACTIVATE
    Go online to
    net10BYOP.com/Activate

http://www.net10wireless.com/lte/

EDIT:
    BUY
    Get a Network Access Code
    or sim and pick a plan

After Talking with NET10, I'm told "...it is illegal to unlock the LTE Code from Verizon phones in the US".
    The "Get a Network Access Code" applies to LTE phones purchased from NET 10, only".