[ROM] CarbonROM KK 4.4 Unofficial 6.23.14

Search This thread

jbarcus81

Jul 30, 2010
Marietta, OH
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
Apex and Nova both have a function to hide apps. The default settings are basically the same as the stock launcher so I don't really see any reason not to use one of them. Some people think they are not as smooth as the stock launcher though.

Also you should just be able to copy trebuchet from cm to the system/app folder and set permissions if you trebuchet.

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk 2

I love Nova launcher.. So far this rom loves it too!! Can't wait to dive into the settings of this thing!! See what's under her skirt!

godmagnus

May 8, 2008
Hardware home button does not work on my phone. Tried toggling/changing settings. Nothing.
Phone has vibrate feedback like its working, but nothing.
This normal?

Edit: I was holding off on flashing GAPPS until everything seemed to work. Didn't know GAPPS was needed to get the hardware keys to functions.

Last edited:

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Hardware home button does not work on my phone. Tried toggling/changing settings. Nothing.
Phone has vibrate feedback like its working, but nothing.
This normal?

Edit: I was holding off on flashing GAPPS until everything seemed to work. Didn't know GAPPS was needed to get the hardware keys to functions.

Yup following the directions does seem to help :p

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA - Carbon

prestigious

Jul 24, 2010
When after flashing crpalmer's kernel, my DNA reboots to a white screen with a black strip running vertically. It starts out as a light colored strip and slowly gets darker and just stays there. Am I missing anything?

phuckwithfire

Dec 31, 2010
SL,UT
Dude, pio... This ROM + crpalmer's kernel = boner-inducing amazingness. Just thought you should know. :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: crpalmer

prestigious

Jul 24, 2010
Make sure you are using his AOSP kernel and not the Sense one.
You, sir, are awesome. I didnt realize I was flashing teh sense kernel but now I've successfully flashed the AOSP kernel so, thank you very much for that!
Good point lol

Edit: that does sound like the new sense kernel on old ROMs and vice versa so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a sense kerne.
And you, pio, are a rom making beast. Really appreciate that you are able to make these incredible roms for us and not to mention your super helpful replies to the community's questions. We need more devs like you, buddy.

Memnoch73

Mar 4, 2011
You, sir, are awesome. I didnt realize I was flashing teh sense kernel but now I've successfully flashed the AOSP kernel so, thank you very much for that!

Glad you got it man. Was just passing through and remembered crpalmer put out the AOSP a short while ago. Side note:wish I wasn't at work so I could throw this rom on and give it a go. Later tonight or tomorrow it will be mine...:)

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az

And you, pio, are a rom making beast. Really appreciate that you are able to make these incredible roms for us and not to mention your super helpful replies to the community's questions. We need more devs like you, buddy.

Thank you but it wouldn't be possible without chad and flyhalfs work!

Reactions: 123421342

-DroidIsDNA-

Jan 14, 2013
rochester
I hate to sound like a douche, but how often do you plan on updating this? I'm fine with once a week or so. If its very often, I might not have a girlfriend anymore lol.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I hate to sound like a douche, but how often do you plan on updating this? I'm fine with once a week or so. If its very often, I might not have a girlfriend anymore lol.

Well, as time and the need comes up. No progress in terms of functionality means no real reason to build another one.

In terms of updating sources for builds I figure once a week is about right.

So...OK let's say as device progress is made or every week or so, as I have time :beer:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As usual, pointing to the post concerning this ROM from its main team HERE

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

1.6 is a pretty big update for us! Check out the changelog on our goo.im page for more, but here are the highlights:

-We've fixed PIE! It no longer decides to be invisible from time to time.
    -We fixed the battery charge light! None of us use it but apparently you guys are just nuts for it!
    -Dark Carbon! Huge props to Slim Roms for coming up with this unique and awesome feature.
    -Lockscreen theming
    -CM skinny battery is back!
    -Volume key lock on silent mode option
    -Backup tool - if you're flashing a new version of Carbon and already have the required version of gapps installed, it will be backed up and restored during install. This applies to system apps and custom host files as well. Please note that you should only dirty flash from Carbon to Carbon. It's ok if it's another version or a nightly - just not over other roms. Super handy for you crack flashers. Make sure you've got the most recent Gapps though, and if you're flashing from a factory reset, you'll still need to install it after install of course.
    -Long pressing the "clear recents" button clears the cache
    -3.4 kernel on D2xxx devices. It's finally stable enough where we're comfortable with this - remember to only flash other 3.4 kernels or it will not boot as there are rom-level dependencies.
    -AOKP's awesome new navbar settings
    -NFC polling mode for when you want to keep your screen off and scan tags
    -MMS and call "breathe" feature. Makes the notification icon fade in and out.
    -Mute dings when changing volume
    -Disable/enable CRT effect on screen on/off.
    -3rd party keyboard bug fixed
    -deodexed again
    -stability and speed enhancements
    -a million other little things as well - we basically don't even sleep anymore.

Screenshots

screen1s.jpg
    screen2s.jpg
    screen3s.jpg

screen4s.jpg
    screen5s.jpg
    screen6s.jpg

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users!

Who is Team Carbon?

andros11
    BigShotRob
    dg4prez
    Kejar31
    mattmanwrx
    morfic
    nocoast
    pixeldotz
    slick_rick
    winner00

Change Log

Carbon change log HERE

6.02.13 -
    Initial release "nightly" build
    Fixed Camera
    Fixed GPS

6.09.13 -
    Synced to Chad0989's trees
    Synced sources
    Uses chad's -chad branch not fb branch kernel, crpalmer's kernel may work with this build.

6.11.13 -
    HALO implemented

Code:
    Synced back up with chad's trees
    Synced with Carbon source
    -Removed for space, post is to long

Code:
    Device tree:
    Updated with *SOME* of chad/flyhalf/crpalmer's recent work:
    https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_device_htc_dlx/commit/b18cbc01baf535de447b44675727ca91b7548bea - cleanup more inline with cm *note* not all changes were done, it was causing issues with Carbon.

https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_device_htc_dlx/commit/9a01d0428755502b17cd2d5854fd293da9b6f143 - updates from m7 

Kernel:
    To many to list one by one, however visit here https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_kernel_htc_dlx/commits/cm-10.1-chad

And look back to june 30th which was my last pull.

Change log removed for space reasons (post is to long now)
    8.06.13:
    Tried out the BT fixes from Chad's CM10.2 stuff, so it may or may not work.
    Current sources, should be the same as the 8.1.13 final stable releases for Nexus devices.
    Change Log 8.06.13

The post is to big for XDA posts now, so instead I'll include a link to the changelog itself!

From here on ONLY use 4.3 gapps, I don't want to see any reports of broken cameras, keyboards or locking up if you are on anything besides a 4.3 gapps!

Fully updated to 4.3 Jellybean source
    Fully updated to chad and crew's latest work on kernel/vendor/device
    Use only the included kernel for now, crpalmer's 3.1.2 kernel is not fully compatible and will cause display and camera glitching.
    Use only gapps for 4.3
    A complete revamp of Carbon, they're starting over from the ground up so you may notice a lot of features missing, such as halo, expect these to return soon. What you can also expect is a smooth fast ROM with a solid foundation to build upon!

Updated source
    BlueTooth now turns on (how well it works I can't test)
    Single build, for now GSM is at least somewhat working on the CDMA build, so for now, pending further investigation, only a single "unified" version is available.

Updated souce
    Updated with Chad and company's latest awesomeness
    Features are beginning to trickle back in, Halo is back, etc.
    Compatible with crpalmer's latest kernel (and .torrented's should also work)
    Change Log 8.19.13

Updated Carbon source (ribbons?)
    Updated with chad and groups work:

Device:
    • - Use correct mic for Google Search and other voice apps (bottom, not the top)
    • - Change back to HTCQualcommRil (from HTCCDMAQualcommRil) * CDMA build only
    • - Custom recovery graphics
    • - Sim hotswap will no longer prompt for reboot
    • - Everything from the 17th to today
    https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_d...ommits/cm-10.2

Kernel:

• - Hardware VSync support
    • - Missing clocks added
    • - ROW Scheduler added
    • - Everything done for the 14th to today, I'm not typing that all out
    https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_k...ommits/cm-10.2

ROM:

• - Carbon Fibers updated with a new swype style
    • - Ribbons returns from AOKP
    • - See change log on the site as usual

• - Updated source
    • - Removed default showing of the overflow menu button, most hardware key map this and prefer to save the screen space.
    • - GSM Only: Changed default to WCDMA preferred from GSM/LTE: Should help with initial issues with calling/sms/mms maybe not working on some networks.
    • - Device, Kernel, Vendor trees otherwise untouched from last build.
    • - Listview Animations and Interpolator (Carbon Fibers > Interface)

• - Updated source
    • - Built against the M7 kernel
    • - Includes everything done up to a couple of hours ago.
    • - NOT Global, CDMA and GSM versions will be needed still.
    • - CM's enhanced NFC added, I can't test it so any reports would be appreciated.
    • - MUST CLEAN FLASH THIS NO MATTER WHAT
    • - Compatible with crpalmer's 4.x.x kernels as far as I know.

9.13.13- B2
    Removed qcom keystore to prevent hot reboot on display off.

9.13.13- CDMA B3
    Correct issue causing bootlooping on the CDMA build, GSM didn't have it.

Updated source build:
    • Halo updates from PA
    • Add color support to text only battery
    • Fix network speed statusbar indicator traffic color on reboot
    • Fix reboot menu not being themed
    • Minor changes

Updated Carbon source:
    • Small stuff
    • Corrected QCOM keystore issue (thanks crpalmer)

9.23.13- Part Deux
    Apparently the blank display was due to changes Carbon made to msm8960-common that I hadn't thought to look in on, and it changes quite a few things concerning the display. For now I have reverted to the CM common tree to correct the display issue.

12.5.13:
    Initial bringup to KitKat 4.4
    UNTESTED, CDMA Version only for now.
    New folder for the 4.4 ROM here http://pio-masaki.com/DroidDNA/Carbon-KK
    Please use an updated 4.4 GApps package!
    Please CLEAN FLASH this only!
    Please flash this with the latest 4.4 compatible recovery!

12.10.13:
    CDMA only
    Updated source and trees
    I still can't test so those who had pervious issues (data, MMS) please give this a try and report when you have time.

1.22.14:
    CDMA only, may be Global.
    Updated build, untested as I lack the device now, please report any issues!

1.29.14:
    Updated sources
    Camera should work now
    Please see if the Settings>Carbon Fibers> Interface FC still occurs.
    As usual use the 4.4 GApps that has worked for you so far.
    Not on pio-masaki.com yet, you can nab it now here http://d-h.st/Zsj

2.2.14:
    Updated sources.
    Camera and Interface FCs were corrected last build, should also be alright here.
    4.4 GApps that you usually use.
    Available on pio-masaki.com

2.5.14:
    Updated sources.
    Check that the carrier, date/day/whatever is proper and that the data connection icons are correct (IE no more roaming in 3G etc)
    For those with speed issues, a report on that would be appreciated.
    4.4 GApps that you used last time.

2.9.14:
    Updated sources
    Built because I was already on my 8th build of the day, why not?
    4.4 GApps that you used last time.

2.20.14:
    Updated sources
    Built because my wife hates me and the couch sucks
    4.4 GApps as usual

3.8.14:
    Updated sources
    Built because why not, its been awhile.
    4.4 GApps as usual

4.7.14:
    Updated sources
    Built because its been a damn month, that's why!
    4.4 GApps as usual

6.23.14:
    Updated sources
    JustArchi optimizations implemented
    FULL 100% -03 built ROM, not just portions
    Linaro 4.8 toolchain
    Built as user instead of userdebug, odexes the ROM and disables some of the background logging
    Updated Adreno candies
    Peek
    Available on pio-masaki.com in the usual place, however look in the SS folder as this is no longer just Carbon.
    Instructions:

Please clean flash this, there's so many extra settings that dirty flashing will likely cause problems. If you dirty flash, please don't report any issues until you flash clean and the issue occurs again!

Please use a proper 4.2.2 Gapps package, using inversed or any modded versions can and likely will cause issues, please use the current 4.2.2 from goo.im, if you use inverted or modded Gapps, please don't report issues until you clean flash with a proper package from goo.im!

If you are not S-OFF you will need to extract the boot.img and flash it separately, either flashGUI or fastboot, your choice, needs done.

S-OFF:

Download the ROM for your needs, CDMA or GSM.
    Download the current 4.2.2 Gapps from goo.im or pio-masaki.com
    Place files someplace useful
    Boot into recovery
    This part assumes you know how to operate your installed recovery
    Wipe system
    Factory reset
    Wipe dalvik
    Flash CarbonROM
    Flash Gapps
    Reboot
    Let settle for a few minutes after booting
    Setup phone as usual

If you have issues on first boot, flash the ROM only, then after it boots, reboot and flash Gapps then manually setup your phone in settings.

CDMA version: for use with Verizon, NOT for any other network.

GSM version: for use with GSM carriers, NOT for Verizon.

Global verison: for use with BOTH Verizon and GSM, no different build required
    FAQS
    If you didn't read the bugs list in the first post, go back up and read that now, asking the same questions over and over is a trademark of xda and I hate it, please read the change log and bug list before posting questions or reporting issues.

Q. I want to report an issue, can I just post it in your thread without reading or doing any basic troubleshooting, googling, reading or wiping?
    A. Well you CAN, you may be ignored or flamed for it. Please read above, and please read the Bugs and Change Log lists before reporting anything. Please flash a clean download, flash a clean wipe, and don't restore stuff from TiBu, that's basic troubleshooting, check if the issue persists, if it does, then feel free to post about it.

Q. Is this daily driver ready?
    A. Can't answer that, what a person needs from their phone varies from person to person, what I may consider fine for my use may be 500 kinds of broken for another user. Example, I don't use my camera often, maybe once a month, and my BT has never been turned on for the last 5 devices, for me broken BT audio and camera doesn't make it a non daily driver ROM. Please read and decide for yourself if features included outweigh the broken, or if broken things are required for your comfortable use of your device.

Q. How can I build my own versions?
    A. For now you can use the existing CM tree and build it that way. Any further help can be asked as needed.

Q. Can I use -insert kernel name here-?
    A. No. Well ok you can, but please don't report any issues while running anything besides what came with the ROM.

Q. Your files all download as index.php!
    A. This happens on certain browsers, namely the stock browser and Chrome. You can either use another browser (naked and dolphin don't do this) or simply rename the file to something useful, like "piostotallyepicawesomesaucedrizzledromthatrocksyourass.zip"

Q. Can we do random bantering and good natured fun poking in your thread?
    A. Sure, feel free to go OT on occasion, I'm all for having FUN on xda, even if some are not. I would like users to feel completely comfortable in my thread with no worries of me coming down on any thing not ROM or development related, I don't run a strict thread as many know by now. What I don't want is flame wars, though. Please keep a limiter on what is good natured fun as we all know things can get out of hand quickly. If someone is taking offense to something going on and its made known, please end it there with no hard feelings.

Bugs:
    None specific to Carbon

Downloads:

Please visit pio-masaki.com for all my ROM builds

Kernel source used:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_htc_m7
    Well I.m.o I don't feel you should be doing this for cash,, for me it's a hobbie
    Your work is appreciated but I've seen you bashed people for their ignorant questions., let me ask you this do you financialy supporting Cyanogen,Aosp,or even Carbon?
    Æaa
    I no the suk ups will defend your statements and slam mine because they don't want to piss off the boss

I don't do it for the cash, the donations are a great help as our situation is not the greatest, and getting extra income doing something I enjoy is obviously fantastic. I may make smart remarks and pick on users on occasion, I never bash an ignorant question, or if I am basing a user for an ignorant question, its likely because it's their 5th such question, I didn't get 2,000 thanks in a year and to be RC by bashing users. In fact bashing users would have prevented it. It was a year of helping users constantly with the smallest to the most crazy questions and situations possible, and giving plenty of contributions to any community I happen to be in here.

It would be impossible for me to support those groups, I simply don't have money to do so, and considering they aren't on a payroll, supporting them isn't anyone's responsibility, and I've never asked you to support me. That aside, if you mean have I donated to them and other developers on XDA, and some RIGHT HERE IN THE DNA FORUMS, then yes, sir, I have. It may not be much, or to many, but I have when possible donated to developers for making things possible on this device. Also, no, I haven't donated to Google, they have enough of their own money, so I won't give money to "aosp". I won't ask if you've donated as to me, personally, that's bad taste, who donated to who is between the donator and the person they wish to donate to.

As for my situation, and why donations are so important, let me explain a little about it. I don't work, I haven't worked in going on 5 years now, and neither has my wife. We have no actual income, we live on food stamps and government medical insurance, donations from my android work and computer repair side jobs. I've only recently gotten my high school diploma even though I'm in my thirties. I have a wife and a son turning 4 in a week. Why don't I go to work then, right? Until recently it hasn't been an option. My wife is diabetic, when she got pregnant she nearly went blind, as soon as my son was born she had to go in for multiple eye surgeries, each of which required at least a week to recover from, and she now has scar tissue over/under her retinas, she basically can't see anything in front of her, she can't drive, she can't measure her insulin nor count the various other pills and medications she needs, nor see the log sheets to fill out and keep track of her blood sugars, or her machine for checking them, prescription names on the bottles, everything she needs for her health, she can't do. I do it. I have for 5 years. I raised our son in this manner as well, and thankfully his one minor surgery went of without a hitch and he's been a perfectly healthy, intelligent, loving young boy. Now we live with my mom, and she can help my wife and watch my son, and I can go to work. I'm waiting on a response from verizon for a few positions, though the one I want is customer support, doing, guess what, helping people who call with ignorant questions. If you ever call to ask a question about billing or phone upgrades, you may even get me on the line.

So do I do this for cash? Nah. Do I need it? Yes. Badly. Am I the only one? Of course not. Is it a hobby? For sure. I won't bash you for your opinions, but I will ask you know what you're talking about before deciding if its a job or a hobby for someone besides yourself, or how important or needed donations may be. Now, knowing all of this, does your opinion of me remain the same? That possibly, asking users to kindly donate or that those donations are so important that it pays for diapers, clothes and bills, gas for doctor visits, schooling for my son, and a phone to do all of this business on, such a horrible thing? Or that on a given day, I can be having a day that's perfectly peachy, or a day where I get 3 hours of sleep because my wife crashes in the middle of the night, my son wakes up an hour or two later for the day, and then I get messages, posts and PMs from users talking trash, calling me names and asking things like "If you can't fix the BT, why did you bother releasing the ROM?" and other various questions like that. Repeatedly slapping me in the face with my shortcoming and failures, or lack of support, or in some cases, blunt answers to questions that didn't need asked again.

I understand your point of view, and I do agree with it to a point, it should be a hobby, not a job, well unless you work for a manufacturer or Google, and that's exactly what it is for me. A hobby I enjoyed.

Edit:

And all I had meant was what I said, my wife says I need to spend less time on android because it isn't bringing in as much money as it used to, that time could be better spent elsewhere. I never said "my wife will let me play if you guys pay my bills"
    Update 9.23.13
    Updated Carbon source
    All updates for the device/kernel sources.

Things that were messed with include the GPS HAL, some display stuff, camera stuff, and more. If you're interested in the details...
    Device:
    dlx: Import GPS HAL from jf
    dlx: HTC camera expects insecure MM heap
    dlx: enable option to set button brightness

Kernel:
    Large amount, so I'll post the commits from last update, not each one. Not all concern the dna directly. Quite a few concerning bcmdhd, kgsl, msm_fb and other goodies
    FROM HERE
    TO HERE

Plus whatever awesome sauce the Carbon guys marinated the source with.

CDMA and GSM versions.

UNTESTED, I still don't have time to really to give to flashing stuff now.

Ok here's your update, back to taking care of business and grieving.

Edit:

As time allows I'll add the device side updates into the other ROMs, I just did Carbon since it was requested and I had a few minutes to spend on it.