[GUIDE] How to rescue our bricked phone

Search This thread

Cancar96

Sep 19, 2011
Zagreb
yeey i can brick it again ^^ everything is working just fine! first boot takes about 2 minutes :p

Last edited:

khaidir84

Apr 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Some people seem to have trouble with looking for info, so here it is, in noob friendly, convenient way.

There are basically four ways to restore our phone to usability, and usage somewhat depends upon how heavily is your system damaged ;)

1. xRecovery
If our phone does not load the system (so we're stuck at SE logo on boot) and we have xRecovery, we can flash the last working backup. This is as clear as it can be, provided that you need to know something already to install xRecovery.

For those who don't know what it is: it's a boothack, which allows to backup and restore all the data stored on phone memory, install custom zips and do other cunning stuff ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878426 - here's how to install it, enjoy.

2. Flashtool
Flashtool is a software developed for Xperia X10, with later added functionality for our precious X8.

It comes in handy when two things happen: we cannot, for whatever reason, enter xRecovery and we don't want to/cannot use SEUS or PCC.

How to use?
1. Download latest version from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=920746
2. Download ROM image, whichever you prefer:
X8 Shakira E15i_2.1.1.A.0.6_generic.ftf
X8_1.6_clear.ftf
X8_2.0.2_China.ftf
SE x8_2.1_rus.ftf
3. Download the baseband if you want to flash it (custom ROMs like miniCM or CM7 require baseband ending with "15" in order for app2sd to work):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=976538
4. Place ftf file in /firmwares directory of your flashtool.
5. Install drivers from /drivers directory (if your antivirus doesn't like them, disable the antivirus :p)
6. Prepare yourself - plug the USB cable to the computer (NOT TO THE DEVICE YET) and launch flasher.
7. Click "flash", choose your ROM from the list, wait for instructions.
8. When the instruction pops up, press and hold "back" button on your X8 and plug the cable into it. Keep holding untill you see that flashing of files has begun, then you may release it.
9. Flashing will take a while, you may observe the progress on a bottom bar. When it's finished you will be asked to plug off your device and reboot it.
10. Tadam! It's functional again! :) Clean installation which you may screw up again ;)
11. If you wish to change baseband, clean firmware directory in flashtool and place baseband ftf file in it, then go through flashing procedure again.

3. SEUS/PCC flashing
Most probably the most prototipical way to deal with it. PCC is PC Companion, soft that you obtain on your SD card along with your device, or you can download from SE website: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/pccompanion/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

Once downloaded and installed, launch it. Most probably it will download some updates. Then choose device updating and follow the instructions. As for flashing - the procedure with holidng back button is the same as with flashtool.

As PCC is heavy and buggy, we are presented with an alternative - SEUS, the Sony Ericsson Update Service. You may download it here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/sup.../detailed/updateservice/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

Once installed and launched, SEUS will start looking for updates. Let it take its time. After a while you will be presented with a board full of phones. Choose your Xperia from the list and continue. You will be asked to flash your phone, analogically as in flashtool in point 2. After flashing is done, SEUS will download the latest SE ROM available for your device and flash it.

ATTENTION
Flashtool, PCC and SEUS will cause loss of data such as contacts, stored messages, installed apps and so on. Anything that exists in phone memory will be erased.

Flashing a backup in xRecovery will cause similar data loss. However, it is possible to flash only system or only data backup in xRecovery. Some ROMs (like miniCM) are updated by update.zip which erases only /system folder, leaving personal data and installed apps intact.

However, you need to be able to enter xRecovery mode in order to use it, SEUS and flashtool do not require enabling the phone. PCC requires the phone to be turned on first in order to recognize it correctly, so it's more update-oriented.

Hope someone will benefit. If you see any mistakes, in spelling, grammar or content, let me know and I will correct it!

thanks bro.. it works! save4 my life again.. Awesome!

kress666

Jan 9, 2011
I tried to install xRecovery in GingerDX23b. Restarted and got stuck at the SE Logo. Can't go in to any recovery (CVM or xRec).. SEUS and PCC and Flashtool sees my device but then loose contact with it.. Is it completely dead?

adambala

Feb 6, 2011
patra
same here can not enter rexovery stuck on sony loggo now what????

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

thats the log....08/010/2012 13:10:20 - INFO - <- This level is successfully initialized
08/010/2012 13:10:20 - INFO - Flashtool Version 0.6.8.0 built on 2012-02-26 19:26:25
08/010/2012 13:10:20 - INFO - You can drag and drop ftf files here to start flashing them
08/010/2012 13:10:24 - INFO - Device disconnected
08/010/2012 13:10:39 - INFO - Selected X8_E15a_2.1.1.A.0.6_Baseband_015.ftf
08/010/2012 13:10:39 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing
08/010/2012 13:10:39 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.
08/010/2012 13:10:59 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
08/010/2012 13:10:59 - INFO - Opening device for R/W
08/010/2012 13:10:59 - INFO - Reading device information
08/010/2012 13:10:59 - INFO - Phone ready for flashmode operations.
08/010/2012 13:10:59 - INFO - Start Flashing
08/010/2012 13:10:59 - INFO - Flashing loader
08/011/2012 13:11:01 - INFO - Loader version : R4A045 / Bootloader status : UNROOTABLE
08/011/2012 13:11:01 - INFO - Flashing amss_fs.sin
08/011/2012 13:11:02 - INFO - Flashing cache.sin
08/011/2012 13:11:02 - INFO - Flashing fota1.sin
08/011/2012 13:11:02 - INFO - Flashing kernel.sin
08/011/2012 13:11:05 - INFO - Flashing amss.sin
08/011/2012 13:11:16 - INFO - Flashing fota0.sin
08/011/2012 13:11:16 - INFO - Flashing finished.
08/011/2012 13:11:16 - INFO - Please wait. Phone will reboot
08/011/2012 13:11:16 - INFO - For flashtool, Unknown Sources and Debugging must be checked in phone settings
08/011/2012 13:11:17 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
08/011/2012 13:11:18 - INFO - Device disconnected
08/011/2012 13:11:20 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
08/011/2012 13:11:42 - INFO - Device disconnected
08/011/2012 13:11:45 - INFO - Device connected with USB debugging off
08/011/2012 13:11:45 - INFO - For 2011 devices line, be sure you are not in MTP mode
now what???

SzolnoK

Aug 3, 2011
hello
i tried all of them but nothing works :(

1. when i was trying to open my phone "sony ericsson" logo appears and phone and i can't reach xrecovery

2. i downloaded
X8_1.6_clear.ftf
flash tool (latest)
E15i_X8i_2.0.2.A.0.24_Baseband_006
E15i_X8i_2.1.1.A.0.6_Baseband_015

and placed them to firmware folder of flashtool
installed all drivers
plugged usb cable to just PC and opened flash tool
click flash and choose X8_1.6_clear.ftf
but there was nothing at "firmware content" box
i clicked ok but there is no pop up screen for instructions

wdfBu.png

3. i tried with sony suite
i choose update. it downloaded some files to my computer
and there was a pop up which tells me instructions ( holding back button and plugging cable)

i do it nothing changed it is saying it all the time and there is no NEXT button

please help me :(

Last edited:

Graveir

Jan 5, 2011
Łódź
Um... you must bear some things in mind. Firstly, this tutorial was created when there was no way to unlock bootloader whatsoever. If you damaged the bootloader, I cannot help you.

Moreover, GingerDX and some other ROMs base on CWM recovery, which also was not available for X8 when I was creating this tut. If you flash xRecovery for such ROMs, you may screw the booting data of your ROM.

If the ftf files don't work, try to find some other, or some flashable xRecovery stock ROM files - I recall there were some at some point or another.

Anyway - there is a new, up to date tutorial that encompasses the bootloader thingie. Try to find it :)

sputnik81

Jun 2, 2012
Hi there.

Unfortunately I'm not good in informatics so I need your help.

I bought my X8 (E15i) past summer, from an italian mobile network company...with a simlock. The phone was really really slow, no memory, really crap.

I visited this forum and started doing everything needed to install afaster rom.\\So I rooted, the phone, installed busybox and superuser, unlocked the bootloader and installed Gingerbread v15.

3 Months ago I moved to a foreign country so I had to use another sim card...and here all my troubles started:

1. I bought an unlock code on ebay in order to remove the simlock.
a. to do that I had to reinstall the OEM rom (2.1)
b. unlock was succesfull but with that rom I wasn't able to recieve any sms any longer
2. I reinstalled the Gingerbread v15 but no market was avviable anylonger so I couldn't download anny apps (the past ones installed where lost due to flashing to 2.1 android).
3. I tried to upgrade the rom to gingerbread v23...and ther eit happened...:
I installed the rom, the alfa update and the overclock update (dammn!!!this may have caused all damage!!!)
When I tried to reboot the phone only the white SE logo appeared and the phone didn't do anything more....(I waited 1 hour...)

Since yesterday I treid to follow every procedure to unbrick my phone but nothing....the only thing I reached now is that I used SEUS to repair the phone.

Now it boots and, I don't know how that is possible, there's the logo of the italian network company again on boot up.... Then the pin code of the sim is asked but NO SIM CARD works anymore. I can introduce the pin code, it's accepted but then, NO MENUS, NO ICONS, NO APPS, NO NET, i.e. I can't do anything with the phone...the buttons don't work too....

I treid the several other procedures to unbrick the phone too but..always the same result.

Can anybody of you help me please????????????????????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

8cpaiw

Feb 21, 2012
i didt understand you good but i thinks you must do this:

flash to stock re-root it and then thats it ....i think

LeiUlanday

Jun 3, 2012
Alternative links for ftf stock roms

The links posted aren't working anymore, at least for the ftf files.

My phone's softbricked right now for flashing a custom rom without wiping the cache partition, and I badly need my phone this time. SEUS and PC Companion wouldn't work for me. SEUS wouldn't even start. I've tried PC Companion months ago and it did work a couple of times.
Maybe because of the software updates that were made since I last unbricked my phone or maybe because I'm using a different OS this time, the Windows 8 Consumer Preview as it's still free. For those who could resolve this in case the problem is with Windows 8, please please share how you did it.

Flashtool is my last hope. Googled for the tft download links and for those who need the tft files, here's the link.

B.Jay's useraccount

Please click "MyMediafire" under his signature as I can't post outside links for now cause "ALL new users are not permitted to post outside links in their messages"

Good day. :) :D

Reactions: Jimmy Thrashmetal

sputnik81

Jun 2, 2012
i didt understand you good but i thinks you must do this:

flash to stock re-root it and then thats it ....i think

I tried several times by using X8toolbox-final, found here on the forum but it doesn't work when I click on "root" it always say "waiting for device"...it doesen't matte rif the phone is powered off, powered off and in flash mode or powered on....

I can't activate usb debugging as NO functionality works when the phone is on. The only thing displayed is the screen background and that usb cable is connected...(it asks if I want to transfer files from pc to sd-card).

So, has anybody of any idea or suggestion for me?

Will my phone (if it will ever work again) be again simlocked (even if I unlocked it)?????

SzolnoK

Aug 3, 2011
Um... you must bear some things in mind. Firstly, this tutorial was created when there was no way to unlock bootloader whatsoever. If you damaged the bootloader, I cannot help you.

Moreover, GingerDX and some other ROMs base on CWM recovery, which also was not available for X8 when I was creating this tut. If you flash xRecovery for such ROMs, you may screw the booting data of your ROM.

If the ftf files don't work, try to find some other, or some flashable xRecovery stock ROM files - I recall there were some at some point or another.

Anyway - there is a new, up to date tutorial that encompasses the bootloader thingie. Try to find it :)

i have both of recovery app
but i used CWM recovery when i was installing new ROM
i can't find the solution about bootloader on forum also :(

p.s.
if someone help me i can donate $3 paypal. I have no phone for days :(

eagleeyetom

Retired Senior Mod & DC Lead - Active Pole Dancer
Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4

Dude, you are alive! :D

Sent from my X8 using xda premium

sputnik81

Jun 2, 2012
Now I tried the whole procedure several times.

If I don't put in any sim, I can root, unlock the bootloader, install busybox and Superuser, flash Gingerbread v23

BUT 2 kind of errors occour:

1. if I flash gingerbread v23,.....the phone still only displays SE logo (I flashed the rom and then applied full whipe), then I re flashed original rom again, rooted...., flashed gingerbread v23 + alfa ddons,+full whipe... -> same result

2. if I try to use the original ROM with my simcard...., after inserting the pin code, no icon appears, no functionality. The phone doesn't work (without sim card, I have all icons, menus, and so on...)

I have to admit that tried so often that I already tried Run msm7227_semc.cmd and the Run msm7227_sect2.cmd....even if the S1 tool told me not recognized Simlock....

I really don't know what to do. I don't know what tool was used to sim-unlock that crap, I only know my phone is dead/unusable and I really really would like to restore it, even to original rom, with a sim-unlock. I need that phone.

Please help me!!! :(

Last edited:

LeiUlanday

Jun 3, 2012
I tried several times by using X8toolbox-final, found here on the forum but it doesn't work when I click on "root" it always say "waiting for device"...it doesen't matte rif the phone is powered off, powered off and in flash mode or powered on....

I can't activate usb debugging as NO functionality works when the phone is on. The only thing displayed is the screen background and that usb cable is connected...(it asks if I want to transfer files from pc to sd-card).

So, has anybody of any idea or suggestion for me?

Will my phone (if it will ever work again) be again simlocked (even if I unlocked it)?????

What was your indicator that it's on flash mode? Did you see the green led light up? If you're phone's softbricked, USB debugging shouldn't be your primary concern.
You should first flash a rom(Custom or Stock) before rooting as rooting needs USB debugging and USB debugging is only possible when you've already flashed a rom. You can't root before flashing.

Please review these steps again.

2. Flashtool
Flashtool is a software developed for Xperia X10, with later added functionality for our precious X8.

It comes in handy when two things happen: we cannot, for whatever reason, enter xRecovery and we don't want to/cannot use SEUS or PCC.

How to use?
1. Download latest version from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=920746
X8_1.6_clear.ftf
X8_2.0.2_China.ftf
SE x8_2.1_rus.ftf
3. Download the baseband if you want to flash it (custom ROMs like miniCM or CM7 require baseband ending with "15" in order for app2sd to work):
5. Install drivers from /drivers directory (if your antivirus doesn't like them, disable the antivirus :p)
6. Prepare yourself - plug the USB cable to the computer (NOT TO THE DEVICE YET) and launch flasher.
8. When the instruction pops up, press and hold "back" button on your X8 and plug the cable into it. Keep holding untill you see that flashing of files has begun, then you may release it.
9. Flashing will take a while, you may observe the progress on a bottom bar. When it's finished you will be asked to plug off your device and reboot it.
10. Tadam! It's functional again! Clean installation which you may screw up again
11. If you wish to change baseband, clean firmware directory in flashtool and place baseband ftf file in it, then go through flashing procedure again.

sputnik81

Jun 2, 2012
As I already said I did all that steps, with the only difference that I installed the clean OEM Sony Ericsson Rom instead of other roms.

I didn't install any baseband....do I need to do that extra???

The only thing I want to is my phone working again (doesn't matter with which ROM if OEM or custom) with any Sim card (like before it soft bricked).#

At the moment only OEM ROm works but WITHOUT Sim card. If you insert the sim card nothing works (I tried with 3 different sim cards...)

cascabel

May 27, 2012
a city in a galaxy far far away
this is a shot in the dark, as i'm not as knowledgeable as the other members who have already answered. but try a diff version of flashtool to flash back to stock rom (i did not use the latest when i got softbricked) and change baseband to 015 (i'm using w8 so use a baseband equivalent for x8 if they're different). and why not try flashing a different custom rom if you can? i might have repeated others' posts but that's all i can think of. hopefully something works. and if the others think the methods i listed would do more harm pls let us know. it'd be nice to learn a thing or two without having to experience this type of problem. :)

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

one more thing. i always use superoneclick for rooting. it's noob friendly and it hasn't failed me.

fyhn

Jun 4, 2012
Jeddah
My X8 Stuck on "SONY ERICSSON" Text

Hey… I have Xperia x8
I tried to install a ROM…and when it asked to reboot from CWM Recovery…i restarted my X8…but Then after That “Sony Ericsson” Text in showing up on the screen and nothing is happening when i am pressing & holding the Back button also.
I tried with the Flash Tool also…nut Nothing is Happening
With the help of flash tool…it is Detecting my Phone but when i am going to Advanced Menu–Selecting Reboot–There comes 2 options
KERNEL and RECOVERY…i did both the Way..but not Rebooting…
In Logs…it says “Rebooting Your Phone”
BUT Nothing Happening After that “SONY Ericsson Text”
Then for Turning off my Phone...i have to Remove my Battery from the Phone.

I am fade up of this “SONY ERICSSON” Text
PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS Help me…!!!

LeiUlanday

Jun 3, 2012
Hey… I have Xperia x8
I tried to install a ROM…and when it asked to reboot from CWM Recovery…i restarted my X8…but Then after That “Sony Ericsson” Text in showing up on the screen and nothing is happening when i am pressing & holding the Back button also.
I tried with the Flash Tool also…nut Nothing is Happening
With the help of flash tool…it is Detecting my Phone but when i am going to Advanced Menu–Selecting Reboot–There comes 2 options
KERNEL and RECOVERY…i did both the Way..but not Rebooting…
In Logs…it says “Rebooting Your Phone”
BUT Nothing Happening After that “SONY Ericsson Text”
Then for Turning off my Phone...i have to Remove my Battery from the Phone.

I am fade up of this “SONY ERICSSON” Text
PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS Help me…!!!

Please follow the procedures given by Gravier. Be sure to do it from 1 till the end.
Some custom roms require for you to manually do the full wipe, others are programmed to wipe during install.
I made a mistake a couple of times of flashing a rom without wiping, ot would always get my phone bricked. Be keen not only on flashing procedures but also of the custom rom's as well.

Don't panic. Doesn't mean it didn't work the first or second time wouldn't work the next time, you might have missed a step or two. There are also youtube tutorials for flashing. :) :) :)

Sent from my E15i using XDA

Last edited:

Zarouvich

Mar 4, 2009
Oeiras
Hello
I just want to thank you for this great post, you saved my phone from brick.

I was getting pretty desperate since i couldnt enter xRecovery and flashtool generate an amount of errors with java, but i took a deep breath, used the sony
pc companion and all is ok. Just have to muster the corage to choose another rom for this since i trully detest the sony rom...

Anyway, thank you very much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some people seem to have trouble with looking for info, so here it is, in noob friendly, convenient way.

There are basically four ways to restore our phone to usability, and usage somewhat depends upon how heavily is your system damaged ;)

1. xRecovery
    If our phone does not load the system (so we're stuck at SE logo on boot) and we have xRecovery, we can flash the last working backup. This is as clear as it can be, provided that you need to know something already to install xRecovery.

For those who don't know what it is: it's a boothack, which allows to backup and restore all the data stored on phone memory, install custom zips and do other cunning stuff ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878426 - here's how to install it, enjoy.

2. Flashtool

How to use?
    X8_1.6_clear.ftf
    X8_2.0.2_China.ftf
    SE x8_2.1_rus.ftf
    10. Tadam! It's functional again! :) Clean installation which you may screw up again ;)

3. SEUS/PCC flashing
    Most probably the most prototipical way to deal with it. PCC is PC Companion, soft that you obtain on your SD card along with your device, or you can download from SE website: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/pccompanion/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

Once downloaded and installed, launch it. Most probably it will download some updates. Then choose device updating and follow the instructions. As for flashing - the procedure with holidng back button is the same as with flashtool.

As PCC is heavy and buggy, we are presented with an alternative - SEUS, the Sony Ericsson Update Service. You may download it here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/sup.../detailed/updateservice/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

Once installed and launched, SEUS will start looking for updates. Let it take its time. After a while you will be presented with a board full of phones. Choose your Xperia from the list and continue. You will be asked to flash your phone, analogically as in flashtool in point 2. After flashing is done, SEUS will download the latest SE ROM available for your device and flash it.

ATTENTION
    Flashtool, PCC and SEUS will cause loss of data such as contacts, stored messages, installed apps and so on. Anything that exists in phone memory will be erased.

Flashing a backup in xRecovery will cause similar data loss. However, it is possible to flash only system or only data backup in xRecovery. Some ROMs (like miniCM) are updated by update.zip which erases only /system folder, leaving personal data and installed apps intact.

However, you need to be able to enter xRecovery mode in order to use it, SEUS and flashtool do not require enabling the phone. PCC requires the phone to be turned on first in order to recognize it correctly, so it's more update-oriented.

Hope someone will benefit. If you see any mistakes, in spelling, grammar or content, let me know and I will correct it!
    That is correct, and it took me some time to assamble all the things I needed, especially that SEUS was crashing on update :mad: And I really see nothing wrong in making threads that contain all the necessary info in one place, as long as it's mistakes free and helps anyone ;) I've seen similar threads on polish android boards and they help a lot, both people who need such help and board stuff, who don't need to close/combine/delete multiple threads concerning the very same issue.
    haha nice post...

i guess you bricked your phone too much today lol...and decided to write a guide...

really cool.
    If you open the thread with basebands and the online directory with basebands and kernels you will see that there are files for E15 mobile phone divided into two kinds - E15i and E15a. i is for Europe, a is for USA. If you flash wrong files - 3G won't work.

Or at least that's how I understand that issue :p