[Q] Uprade regular S3 to LTE S3?

Search This thread

qnz_78

Feb 20, 2013
I bricked my phone and it seems that the fix is replacing the motherboard. Since it seems I may be going down that road I was just wondering if it would be possible to upgrade my regular S3 to an LTE S3? What parts would I need and where to source them?

(I know this sounds silly but Im a big car guy and whenever you blow your stock engine its an excuse to get a bigger one hehe, Im just thinking if this is the same with the S3 having a "better" version)

Flame away if this isnt possible :D

Feb 13, 2013
AW: [Q] Uprade regular S3 to LTE S3?

I think it is possible. But when you change to i9305 you will loose the possibilities of using different and official CM roms or other AOSP roms. Most of the custom firmwares available for i9305 are Samsung based.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
Hehe, nice one ;) You've answered you question in last part... " not possible.." :D There's solution for you: Sell S3 add few ££ and voila ;)

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

I think it is possible. But when you change to i9305 you will loose the possibilities of using different and official CM roms or other AOSP roms. Most of the custom firmwares available for i9305 are Samsung based.

Are you mad or something? ??? How you going to add more RAM and LTE radio based on completely different chipset??? Soldering? ?? Hahahahaha.... wake up!! ;)

Reactions: mabmed
J

johnbyebye

Hehe, nice one ;) You've answered you question in last part... " not possible.." :D There's solution for you: Sell S3 add few ££ and voila ;)

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Are you mad or something? ??? How you going to add more RAM and LTE radio based on completely different chipset??? Soldering? ?? Hahahahaha.... wake up!! ;)

The OP meant exchanging the motherboard with one from the i9305.

It's possible provided the setup is the same and the screw locations are the same.

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
Yeah, if screws and connectors on motherboard are the same... I don't think so but not sure tho ;)

You're not wrong in your assumption. But I think the biggest problem would be fitting it in the case, in order to make phones as thin as the Galaxy S3, enormous efforts go into making sure the motherboard *just* fits in, and assuming the non-LTE models motherboard is exactly the same shape as the LTE model is a little silly in my opinion. In all honesty I think OP would be better off just not buying a new motherboard and instead just buying a new phone. The Nexus 4 comes to mind... yeah you heard me! Flame away! :p

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
You're not wrong in your assumption. But I think the biggest problem would be fitting it in the case, in order to make phones as thin as the Galaxy S3, enormous efforts go into making sure the motherboard *just* fits in, and assuming the non-LTE models motherboard is exactly the same shape as the LTE model is a little silly in my opinion. In all honesty I think OP would be better off just not buying a new motherboard and instead just buying a new phone. The Nexus 4 comes to mind... yeah you heard me! Flame away! :p

This is exactly what I meant, you won't be able to fit i9305 motherboard in i9300 casing, simple as that. There's only one cheaper solution, buy i9305 with broken screen and swap it.

Rhadamanthus

Feb 8, 2013
If you're thinking of literally removing a faulty SoC off your I9300 board and replacing it with the I9305 equivalent:
No. Don't do it. That's the worst idea I've heard in years.

If you're thinking of using an I9305 motherboard as a replacement for your I9300 board:
I started writing a very long post here about why you can't use most of the I9300 internals, but honestly it's neither interesting nor worth the bother to type.

In short, here is a list of things you can use from the I9300:
-Cameras.
-Battery.
-The rear outer plastic case,
-Volume/power switches.
-Proximity sensor.
-Vibration motor.
-Screws, gaskets, etc.
-Assorted minor components which didn't spring to mind.

You can't use the frame, or the antenna. You might be able to re-use the display, screen, and touchscreen controller; but have fun trying to remove the former two from the frame without damaging them or rendering them unusable. Heat guns are out, for a start.

Compared to buying a new I9305, you won't save much money, if any, and it might conceivably cost more to get all these things separately. It would also take you a lot of time, which carries its own cost.

Believe it or not, portable electronic devices bear little resemblance to cars.

Reactions: DjeMBeY and Rekoil
J

johnbyebye

Screw assignments and everything else are exactly the same.

I9300

i9300.png

I9305

i9305.jpg

J

johnbyebye

Seriously? ??? You won't drop it??? If those 2 look exactly same then you must be blind...... Screws are not going to make it work. ....

You realize the dimensions are exactly the same, right? Instead of just saying that it won't work why don't you show me proof. Everyone is so quick to jump to conclusions but not one person in this thread said "I tried it and it doesn't work." The pictures tell me it that it is possible. Sorry to be a **** but nobody in this thread seems to be speaking from experience, myself included, you're just guessing that it won't work. Why flame me when you don't really know the answer?

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
You realize the dimensions are exactly the same, right? Instead of just saying that it won't work why don't you show me proof. Everyone is so quick to jump to conclusions but not one person in this thread said "I tried it and it doesn't work." The pictures tell me it that it is possible. Sorry to be a **** but nobody in this thread seems to be speaking from experience, myself included, you're just guessing that it won't work. Why flame me when you don't really know the answer?

Dude, you're annoying now. I've got 15yrs experience as mobile phones maintainer and I know what I'm saying. It's not about size and screws only ffs!! Motherboard is double sided, Hardware needs drivers and specially designed for each component room in chassis. No room for error, all connectors must be in exactly same place otherwise you can screw it together and stick it in..... Have a fun and good luck.
I'm done here :D :D

Last edited:

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
It will work I think if your replacing the board which has the soc, ram and so forth.
The only think that seperates the two is the main board which contains these parts.
But I think you should try it and if anything u prove it and if not well, buy one and said you did!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

J

johnbyebye

Dude, you're annoying now. I've got 15yrs experience as mobile phones maintainer and I know what I'm saying. It's not about size and screws only ffs!! Motherboard is double sided, Hardware needs drivers and specially designed for each component room in chassis. No room for error, all connectors must be in exactly same place otherwise you can screw it together and stick it in..... Have a fun and good luck.
I'm done here :D :D

I don't think you realize how similar the i9300 and i9305 are, lol. They are literally the same except the chips on the motherboard. Oh well. Until someone tries it there is no point in throwing your 15 years of experience into the mix. It's always nice to meet someone who thinks they're better than everyone else and rude.:rolleyes: It's just a forum, lighten up and try not to be so mean. Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen
I don't think you realize how similar the i9300 and i9305 are, lol. They are literally the same except the chips on the motherboard. Oh well. Until someone tries it there is no point in throwing your 15 years of experience into the mix. Thanks for putting yourself on a pedestal though. It's always nice to meet someone who thinks they're better than everyone else. :rolleyes: Have a nice weekend.

Nice to know that they put a LTE antenna into the non LTE device... That is no waste... hint: Google GH59-12159B and GH59-12657C... in other words you are SO wrong.

Reactions: Rekoil and DjeMBeY
J

johnbyebye

Nice to know that they put a LTE antenna into the non LTE device... That is no waste... hint: Google GH59-12159B and GH59-12657C... in other words you are SO wrong.

Not what I meant....but nevermind. No sense in arguing since nobody is going to actually try it.

Last edited:
J

johnbyebye

I thanked you for being cleaver enough to know that it would be idiotic to try... Or was that not your point?

As you would never use an antenna made for one frequency to pick up another frequency. But I guess you already knew that.

Could you explain further? I thought the frequencies were integrated into the modem and not the actual antenna.

PLooB

Feb 17, 2013
I'm pretty sure you just can't switch the motherboards and everything works fine.

You can try though :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're thinking of literally removing a faulty SoC off your I9300 board and replacing it with the I9305 equivalent:
    No. Don't do it. That's the worst idea I've heard in years.

If you're thinking of using an I9305 motherboard as a replacement for your I9300 board:
    I started writing a very long post here about why you can't use most of the I9300 internals, but honestly it's neither interesting nor worth the bother to type.

In short, here is a list of things you can use from the I9300:
    -Cameras.
    -Battery.
    -The rear outer plastic case,
    -Volume/power switches.
    -Proximity sensor.
    -Vibration motor.
    -Screws, gaskets, etc.
    -Assorted minor components which didn't spring to mind.

You can't use the frame, or the antenna. You might be able to re-use the display, screen, and touchscreen controller; but have fun trying to remove the former two from the frame without damaging them or rendering them unusable. Heat guns are out, for a start.

Compared to buying a new I9305, you won't save much money, if any, and it might conceivably cost more to get all these things separately. It would also take you a lot of time, which carries its own cost.

Believe it or not, portable electronic devices bear little resemblance to cars.
    I don't think you realize how similar the i9300 and i9305 are, lol. They are literally the same except the chips on the motherboard. Oh well. Until someone tries it there is no point in throwing your 15 years of experience into the mix. Thanks for putting yourself on a pedestal though. It's always nice to meet someone who thinks they're better than everyone else. :rolleyes: Have a nice weekend.

For those who speak without knowing...

I have both i9300/9305.

Recently I bought a replacement lcd for the i9305 and was told that these are specific to the model and an lcd from the i9300 would not fit.

This is wrong. I have managed to use the i9300 motherboard on the i9305 LCD+midframe without issues. Also the fitment of all the peripherals such as antenna, front and rear facing cameras, buttons, film cables fit identically. All back plates, screws, heat absorber locations are the same.

I cannot be sure of the antenna module as its function so I ordered one for the i9305.

However, if the intention of the OP is to fit an LTE motherboard from a i9305 to a i9300 chassis, then its possible.

HOWEVER, an lte version from the US models wont work due to different configuration of the processor. For that you need the lcd made for that version of motherboard.

Hope it helps

We can talk about forever but since you've got both phones, make it work and proof that we're wrong!!!! Open both phones, put S3 LTE motherboard ONLY in S3 casing and test it. It's going to take you 30min and we'll all know for sure. Simple as that. End of story.

I just said that I did the opposite.

Doesnt that prove the same point?

I took a i9300 motherboard in a Lte i9305 casing and it worked fine.

You are playing with words now so that you are not proven wrong. For what the op is asking, the answer is YES it works so long as you also fit the LTE antenna which you can buy on ebay for 10£.

Besides the op is asking what parts he will need.

So the parts are: LTE motherboard+ LTE antenna.

The rest are the same as the i9300 and can be reused.

Happy now?