[DIY] Moded dash to flush mount my Nexus 5 in my car

Search This thread

kevjef420

Oct 11, 2010
GTA
This is more of a "look what I did" then a "do it yourself" but by all means you could do this yourself. Just don't do all of the unnecessary steps I took and just jump to the last section where I got my Nexus 5.

IMG_00000031_zps76350db1.jpg

IMG_00000030_zps080b073f.jpg

I wanted my phone mounted in my car but not on the window. I couldn't find a decent dock that would give me what I wanted to I made my own.

Now this is actually the third phone I mounted in my Tib so the mount was an evolution of sorts.

The first phone I mounted was a Samsung Galaxy S2 and in short this is what I did,
- got bezel frame from the wrecking yard as to not mess with the original.
- made a mould of the back of the phone with fibreglass (this step was not needed)
- removed the digital clock and cut a large rectangle hole as to accept the mould.
- trimmed the mould to fit
- epoxied in place
- installed a micro USB port to charge phone when docked
- used body filler (Bondo) to fill gaps and blend
- primmer and paint

This worked great for about 6 months until I wanted a new phone. Then I bought a Nexus 4. This is what i did to fit the new phone as it was bigger.
- added more Bondo around the mould from the inside of bezel
- used Dremel to open the mould to accept new phone. This was very tedious.
- more Bondo to clean it up and new paint.

This would have been OK but I only had the Nexus 4 for 2 months before the Nexus 5 came out. Well i had to have it. So while I started repeated the above steps that I did to make the Nexus 4 fit, i had an amazing idea that never downed on me with the previous 2 phones. This idea was genius. This is what i did and I could have done this from the start.
- I picked up a thin hard case custom fit for the phone. (Fibreglass.... what was I thinking?)
- Trimmed one side with Dremel so phone would hold snug but be easy to remove
- glued the new case into the existing mess that I had created.
- Ordered a QI Wireless charger so I could charge my phone without cables.
- cut a hole in the fibreglass so I could mount the QI charger flush to the case.
- reassembled and viola.

Now I have a Bluetooth Kenwood stereo that I can make handsfree phone calls, Stream music from the internet from my phone to my stereo wirelessly, Navigate with voice activated commands, watch movies (not while driving). and just about what ever else you could do with a modern smartphone phone. Charge my phone wirelessly while driving (GPS kills the battery fast). It's like having all of the options of a new luxury car, without the $$$

Here is some more photos.

IMG_00000029_zps7083a929.jpg

IMG_00000028_zpsbd2100f0.jpg

IMG_20140113_190519_zps7a443c4a.jpg

IMG_20140113_190451_zps16c081ec.jpg

You can see the fibreglass from my first install. That is the QI wireless charger in the centre. I just connect it to a USB charger from behind.

IMG_20130506_194915_zps8b806f96.jpg

This is my 06 Tib. Sweet eh? It is in almost mint shape :)

IMG_20130506_194830_zps20466c81.jpg

edit: I see that many people want a copy of the old Google Maps that I am using. Here is a link to download it.

http://www.4shared.com/mobile/vXXEBp01ba/Maps_6144.html

Last edited:

Scotty_Two

Dec 25, 2010
Denver, CO
scott-olsen.com

Is that an old version of Maps you're using?? My gripe with using my magnetized charger is that it interferes with the compass and the current Maps app doesn't have the old navigation mode that just follows you around without the need to input a destination address. I can't have it set to facing my direction because it uses the compass and most of the time it's completely backwards.

Last edited:

TXRaunchy

Mar 7, 2012
Is that an old version of Maps you're using?? My gripe with using my magnetized charger is that it interferes with the compass and the current Maps app doesn't have the old navigation mode that just follows you around without the need to input a destination address. I can't have it set to facing my direction because it uses the compass and most of the time it's completely backwards.

Nice mod.

kevjef420

Oct 11, 2010
GTA

Yes. This is an old version of maps. I hate the new maps with a passion. That is my biggest Google pet peeve. I need to navigate without direction mode as I like to drive with the maps on showing traffic but I sure don't need my phone telling me how to drive home. For me the metal frame behind my dash was throwing the compass off.

Anyways if you want the old maps just try this.

You will have to uninstall the newer maps before you install the old one.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty_Two

Scotty_Two

Dec 25, 2010
Denver, CO
scott-olsen.com
Yes. This is an old version of maps. I hate the new maps with a passion. That is my biggest Google pet peeve. I need to navigate without direction mode as I like to drive with the maps on showing traffic but I sure don't need my phone telling me how to drive home. For me the metal frame behind my dash was throwing the compass off.

Anyways if you want the old maps just try this. If link doesn't work then Google maps 6.14.4 apk. That was the last update before the change.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iDKGGzpdDLcHRqWUVwdDR0VUU/edit?usp=docslist_api

Cheers

I'll try it out to see if I can handle the old version, thanks. Looks like I need to be granted access for the file, I requested it on Drive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is more of a "look what I did" then a "do it yourself" but by all means you could do this yourself. Just don't do all of the unnecessary steps I took and just jump to the last section where I got my Nexus 5.

IMG_00000031_zps76350db1.jpg

IMG_00000030_zps080b073f.jpg

I wanted my phone mounted in my car but not on the window. I couldn't find a decent dock that would give me what I wanted to I made my own.

Now this is actually the third phone I mounted in my Tib so the mount was an evolution of sorts.

The first phone I mounted was a Samsung Galaxy S2 and in short this is what I did,
    - got bezel frame from the wrecking yard as to not mess with the original.
    - made a mould of the back of the phone with fibreglass (this step was not needed)
    - removed the digital clock and cut a large rectangle hole as to accept the mould.
    - trimmed the mould to fit
    - epoxied in place
    - installed a micro USB port to charge phone when docked
    - used body filler (Bondo) to fill gaps and blend
    - primmer and paint

This worked great for about 6 months until I wanted a new phone. Then I bought a Nexus 4. This is what i did to fit the new phone as it was bigger.
    - added more Bondo around the mould from the inside of bezel
    - used Dremel to open the mould to accept new phone. This was very tedious.
    - more Bondo to clean it up and new paint.

This would have been OK but I only had the Nexus 4 for 2 months before the Nexus 5 came out. Well i had to have it. So while I started repeated the above steps that I did to make the Nexus 4 fit, i had an amazing idea that never downed on me with the previous 2 phones. This idea was genius. This is what i did and I could have done this from the start.
    - I picked up a thin hard case custom fit for the phone. (Fibreglass.... what was I thinking?)
    - Trimmed one side with Dremel so phone would hold snug but be easy to remove
    - glued the new case into the existing mess that I had created.
    - Ordered a QI Wireless charger so I could charge my phone without cables.
    - cut a hole in the fibreglass so I could mount the QI charger flush to the case.
    - reassembled and viola.

Now I have a Bluetooth Kenwood stereo that I can make handsfree phone calls, Stream music from the internet from my phone to my stereo wirelessly, Navigate with voice activated commands, watch movies (not while driving). and just about what ever else you could do with a modern smartphone phone. Charge my phone wirelessly while driving (GPS kills the battery fast). It's like having all of the options of a new luxury car, without the $$$

Here is some more photos.

IMG_00000029_zps7083a929.jpg

IMG_00000028_zpsbd2100f0.jpg

IMG_20140113_190519_zps7a443c4a.jpg

IMG_20140113_190451_zps16c081ec.jpg

You can see the fibreglass from my first install. That is the QI wireless charger in the centre. I just connect it to a USB charger from behind.

IMG_20130506_194915_zps8b806f96.jpg

This is my 06 Tib. Sweet eh? It is in almost mint shape :)

IMG_20130506_194830_zps20466c81.jpg

edit: I see that many people want a copy of the old Google Maps that I am using. Here is a link to download it.

Anyways if you want the old maps just try this.

Cheers