HD2 gone, Heeelllloo Desire

Search This thread

williap

Dec 27, 2009
Just sold my HTC HD2 as couldn't cope with Windows anymore.

Anyway, been looking online and the cheapest I've found the Desire sim free and unlocked is with Handtec at £389.00.

Anybody found anywhere cheaper?

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
HD2 = 35% more screen area

You do realise you're saying goodbye to a 35% larger screen, don't you? And with a screen it is area that counts, not diagonal, since twice the diagonal is four times the screen area.

Android is better than WM, but it's not so much better that it's worth kissing goodbye to so much screen area in a device almost the same size, in my opinion.

If you don't believe the HD2's screen is 35% bigger, here's the calc:

3.7" diagonal with 800*480 resolution has a height of 3.7/SQRT(800*800 + 480*480)*800 = 3.17" and a width of 3.7/SQRT(800*800 + 480*480)*480 = 1.90", so it has an area of 3.17 * 1.90 = 6.04 square inches.
4.3" diagonal with 800*480 resolution is 8.16 square inches area. (3.69 * 2.21)
8.16 - 6.04 = 2.12, so the HD2 has 2.12 square inches more screen area.
2.12/6.04 = 0.35, so the HD2 has an extra 35% area over the Desire.

mhewitson

May 10, 2009
What do you see as the benefit to that screen area?

And it's pointless to have it unless you feel productive with it, which the OP obviously didn't...

williap

Dec 27, 2009
Seeing that I'm losing a bigger screen for 30,000 apps instead of Windows 100, a OS that is going to be updated in the future unlike Windows 6.5 never seeing Windows 7 so in turn is dead in the water.....I think I can live with that!

Moandal

Oct 7, 2005
What do you see as the benefit to that screen area?

And it's pointless to have it unless you feel productive with it, which the OP obviously didn't...

A bigger screen area gives you two significant benefits:
1) Easier to see smaller details, e.g. on a website, so less zooming in/out required.
2) Easier to interact with your big fat finger, e.g. small links on a website.

But I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

Seeing that I'm losing a bigger screen for 30,000 apps instead of Windows 100, a OS that is going to be updated in the future unlike Windows 6.5 never seeing Windows 7 so in turn is dead in the water.....I think I can live with that!

Well that's fair enough then, because apart from the bigger screen, I can't think of any other benefits that the HD2 has over the Bravo. But then I love that big screen! Hopefully by the time I get my next phone, HTC will have watched WP7S crash and burn, and then decided to put Android v3.1 on their HD3. Big screen & Android = best of both worlds.

H

hiddengopher

I'm probably gonna skip the hd2 on t-mobile and wait for the desire or another snapdragon t-mobile htc phone.

jamiepyrite

Jan 17, 2007
I found the HD2 just to be slightly *too* big.. It was just too much for me whenever I've used one. Beautiful screens though!

AudunXetrov

Feb 8, 2010

Actually, Microsoft has said that they will continue to support and update WinMo 6.5 alongside WP7S, even though it won't be included on new devices. I would still take Desire over the HD2 any day, though :)

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
Yeah, the screen on the Desire is smaller. But it shouldn't be that big a deal. The resolutions of both phones are the same at 800x480. This means that you'll in fact be seeing a sharper image on the Desire's smaller screen, because that same image would have to be stretched out across the larger area (but still same pixel count) on the HD2.

Only benefit I'd see for the larger screen would be when it comes to watching any movies, but even so it'd be a stretch.

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
BUY it on CONTRACT through mobilephonesdirect.co.uk...

(hear me out, I speak from experience)

Get the T-Mobile 18 month, £20 per month deal + £59.99 for handset + small amount of postage.

Next day a SIM FREE UNLOCKED handset will arrive.

Ring T-Mobile and say you want to buy out of the contract. Although the sum of 20 times 18 is 360 you do NOT pay VAT on buyouts; thus you will only have to pay them approx £306.

306 + approx 63 = £369. I dare you to find it cheaper ;-)

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
I'm a HD2 owner and yes I love the big screen and hardware but unfortunately there is nothing to offer in the Marketplace and very little in the way of exciting app development outside of the marketplace either. Maybe Ive just been spoilt by iPhone OS and Android OS but for me the HD2 has just become a little bit...boring.

I also resent the mount of bugs and slowdowns Windows Mobile seems to cause; don't get me wrong I respect the amount of time Microsoft and HTC have managed to flog what is essentially a dead horse but no matter how much people on these forums insist that their HTC is perfect and bug free I am constantly suffering out of memory errors, slowdowns, freezes, panels and icons disappearing, connection errors and popups, device hangs....to name a few.

So yes I think I can cope with a smaller screen.

riz157

May 23, 2008
London
my feelings exactly, I was getting tired of constantly flashing roms to make it a bit more appealing. Still the same problems remained though, crashing, freezing. marketplace waste of space etc etc
To be honest the nail in the coffin was when i bought Iphone 3GS which really has put me off WM devices, dare I say for good. I hope HTC don't waste their products on winmo anyore either, well certainly the better devices anyway.

so look forward to desire.

OnlinePredator

Feb 6, 2009
BUY it on CONTRACT through mobilephonesdirect.co.uk...

(hear me out, I speak from experience)

Get the T-Mobile 18 month, £20 per month deal + £59.99 for handset + small amount of postage.

Next day a SIM FREE UNLOCKED handset will arrive.

Ring T-Mobile and say you want to buy out of the contract. Although the sum of 20 times 18 is 360 you do NOT pay VAT on buyouts; thus you will only have to pay them approx £306.

306 + approx 63 = £369. I dare you to find it cheaper ;-)

I bought it from clove, cost £365, which includes courier to Australia.....Glad the aussie dollar is doing so well right now. Bloody bargain!

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Well....I've had my Desire all morning and I love it. I used my HD2 briefly just now and it just made me want to pick up the desire again. The keyboard is responsive and seems to work out what you want to type better than the HD2, I love all the widgets and the screen absolutely pops. It feels really lovely in the hand too. My only concern now is that soon everyone will have one.

mr.vandalay

Jul 8, 2007
Well....I've had my Desire all morning and I love it. I used my HD2 briefly just now and it just made me want to pick up the desire again. The keyboard is responsive and seems to work out what you want to type better than the HD2, I love all the widgets and the screen absolutely pops. It feels really lovely in the hand too. My only concern now is that soon everyone will have one.

could you please tell me if browser speed is as fast as on hd2 or maybe even faster... i'm seriously considering getting this phone but it's not an easy decision as i've been a HC winmo user for years and i'm a complete noob when it comes down to android :p

p.s. i read that the browser is extremely fast ,i would just like to hear if that's really true from a hd2 user

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Hey Mr Vandalay, my favourite ROM maker.

To be honest I haven't noticed a marked difference but I shall check now. The main thing for me is that typing is back to iPhone speeds!

Ok first test, over WiFi I'm gonna test out www.smh.com.au which is a very data heavy site.

Ok I wasn't expecting that....Desire finished loading the page six seconds faster.

Now I'll try engadget.com

Ok well the Desire only won that one marginally but its not as big a page.

I would say there's not much in it, however the difference in screen size IS noticeable; on the other hand the difference in colour quality is insane. The HD2 looks pretty washed out in comparison.

Bear in mind that also I have a number of apps running and Windows open in the Desire, whereas the HD2 was freshly booted. Also my Opera 9.7 doesn't support Flash so I assume the Desire had a little bit more work to Di rendering those Windows too.

I will upload a YouTube video shortly to give you an idea

Opera Mobile 10 is coming to Android very soon anyway so that should be worth a look.

Last edited: