|HELP|custom recovery + root + unlock bootloader|

Search This thread

iTzz_KAMIKAZE

Mar 28, 2014
Oxford
I'm planning on getting a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I've been looking through the android development thread and came across some some threads with TWRP and some other root methods. I heard that AT&T came out with a few new updates for the phone that effects some of the root methods and I don't know which one or if any. I know how to flash recoverys and ROMS through Odin, but I have no clue how to unlock the bootloader for the GS4. I also don't know any other methods of flashing recoverys or ROMS outside of Odin. BTW I plan on flashing cyanogenmod 11. I've only owned samsung phones. I'm new to this phone so I would appreciate any help.

Last edited:

seedeh

Jan 28, 2014
Austin, TX
Setting>more>about device> baseband version

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Oh wait I just saw you are planning to.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I'm planning on getting a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I've been looking through the android development thread and came across some some threads with TWRP and some other root methods. I heard that AT&T came out with a few new updates for the phone that effects some of the root methods and I don't know which one or if any. I know how to flash recoverys and ROMS through Odin, but I have no clue how to unlock the bootloader for the GS4. I also don't know any other methods of flashing recoverys or ROMS outside of Odin. BTW I plan on flashing cyanogenmod 11. I've only owned samsung phones. I'm new to this phone so I would appreciate any help.

There is no way to unlock the bootloader. If you're just getting the device it's going to come with mk2 or nb1 firmware. There is a root method for mk2 but there currently is not a root method for nb1. With that said, there is a way to use a rooted rom on nb1.

i would highly suggest you read up on mk2, safestrap, and nb1. Look in the general forum, start with the stickies and then about the first 10 threads in general.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: iTzz_KAMIKAZE

seedeh

Jan 28, 2014
Austin, TX
No. Not currently. The s4 is currently not rootable and if you use the method to get back to MF3 you can't use TWRP only safestrap. Also, you can't unlock the bootloader in anything MK2+.

Reactions: iTzz_KAMIKAZE

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
No. Not currently. The s4 is currently not rootable and if you use the method to get back to MF3 you can't use TWRP only safestrap. Also, you can't unlock the bootloader in anything MK2+. <br />
<br />
You can't get back to mf3 and the bootloader was never unlocked. There was just an exploit to get around the locked boot loader with firmware prior to mf3

Sent from my Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There is no way to unlock the bootloader. If you're just getting the device it's going to come with mk2 or nb1 firmware. There is a root method for mk2 but there currently is not a root method for nb1. With that said, there is a way to use a rooted rom on nb1.

i would highly suggest you read up on mk2, safestrap, and nb1. Look in the general forum, start with the stickies and then about the first 10 threads in general.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    No. Not currently. The s4 is currently not rootable and if you use the method to get back to MF3 you can't use TWRP only safestrap. Also, you can't unlock the bootloader in anything MK2+.