Really unhappy with Nexus 4 (warning: rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
This feeling isn't new--I've been unhappy with the Nexus 4 since it arrived. It's the only phone I've ever owned that I would call "beautiful", but its design, hardware, and low-level software problems are ridiculous. But I'm not going to talk about muted speakers, phone sliding off surfaces, 3G or Wifi problems, or batteries that won't charge. I'd like to tell you about the power button.

My power button got harder and harder to press over time, eventually becoming completely impossible. The repair was cheap. But what makes me so angry is that though I never got my phone wet, the button was corroded by water.

How did this problem occur? I live in a warm and humid climate. I keep the phone in my pocket. In the gym, I took precautions (using a case and turning the open part of the case *away* from my body). But as many of you know, the Nexus 4 gets ridiculously hot, especially gaming (or when using GPU+gps+data at the same time). It was basically impossible not to sweat on this phone. And it broke as a result.

In short, LG and Google designed a phone that makes its users really hot, yet corrodes and fails if you keep it in a sweaty pocket.

wulsic

Aug 21, 2013
Nijmegen
OnePlus 8 Pro
This feeling isn't new--I've been unhappy with the Nexus 4 since it arrived. It's the only phone I've ever owned that I would call "beautiful", but its design, hardware, and low-level software problems are ridiculous. But I'm not going to talk about muted speakers, phone sliding off surfaces, 3G or Wifi problems, or batteries that won't charge. I'd like to tell you about the power button.

My power button got harder and harder to press over time, eventually becoming completely impossible. The repair was cheap. But what makes me so angry is that though I never got my phone wet, the button was corroded by water.

How did this problem occur? I live in a warm and humid climate. I keep the phone in my pocket. In the gym, I took precautions (using a case and turning the open part of the case *away* from my body). But as many of you know, the Nexus 4 gets ridiculously hot, especially gaming (or when using GPU+gps+data at the same time). It was basically impossible not to sweat on this phone. And it broke as a result.

In short, LG and Google designed a phone that makes its users really hot, yet corrodes and fails if you keep it in a sweaty pocket.

Yeah i expected also when i bought the nexus 4 that everything would be good since google make the system for nexus 4 but my problem was that wifi was really bad and the phone was slippery but i fixed that with an anti slip protector for the back. I also have the first revision of nexus 4 and i don't have too much trouble. The button can get corroded by water if its humid or if its really cold and laying by the window (noticed that with my tablet) that the battery won't charge could aoso be the usb port. Gaming goes also hot with gps and data but then you need to try an custom rom with HellsDoctor or Hellscore they keep it pretty cool all the time and good battery usage.
I agree with you That lg and google designed a phone that makes it users really hot cause even on stock normal browsing made my phone really hot. I just hope that google will fix all those software problems with 4.4.3 or even 5. And is your phone now broken?

NEXUSg4

Mar 5, 2014
broken back

The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
Errr...what did you expect, that quad core CPU and rather powerful GPU cranked in small phone body will be cold on heavy usage???
Slippery??? Someone pinch me is this a dream...am I in wonderland :eek:
Keep electric device in humid environment and it corrodes...wow...water is wet imagine that LOL
I mean you can be disappointed...but your arguments are out of this world :silly:
Thanks for making me laugh :good: :highfive:

Dark Emotion

Sep 30, 2010
Zagreb
The problem is one way or another nexus 4 back will be cracked and now it's almost impossible to see nexus 4 with not broken back.

Nope, my N4 is still without scratch after 10 months. Never dropped it.

Talking about problems that this device "have", I had few android phones and with every phone there were some problems. There is no phone on this planet that is perfect so it is either live with that or just don't buy smartphones (or any other phones).

Last edited:

user822

Apr 6, 2013
Well this probablly a 1/100000 case.
Realistic way of solving: Don't drive up design costs for any unprobable usages losing millions of potential customers

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
Errr...what did you expect, that quad core CPU and rather powerful GPU cranked in small phone body will be cold on heavy usage???
Keep electric device in humid environment and it corrodes...wow...water is wet imagine that LOL
Where is your ambition, and how can you be satisfied with such pathetic design problems? Certainly they are difficult problems, but other manufacturers have managed to solve them. Have you never used a HTC or Samsung? My HTC doesn't overheat to that degree, even though it has an extremely conductive metal body.

Well this probablly a 1/100000 case.
Realistic way of solving: Don't drive up design costs for any unprobable usages losing millions of potential customers
Everyone that runs or works out. Everyone that lives in a hot and humid environment. I guess this won't be a problem for you are always inside your home/car/office and drive everywhere. BTW, did you notice Google made a rather good game called Ingress, which encourages you to get outside? I recommend giving it a try.

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
Where is your ambition, and how can you be satisfied with such pathetic design problems? Certainly they are difficult problems, but other manufacturers have managed to solve them. Have you never used a HTC or Samsung? My HTC doesn't overheat to that degree, even though it has an extremely conductive metal body.

Everyone that runs or works out. Everyone that lives in a hot and humid environment. I guess this won't be a problem for you are always inside your home/car/office and drive everywhere. BTW, did you notice Google made a rather good game called Ingress, which encourages you to get outside? I recommend giving it a try.

Jup...used Samsung...HTC...LG...
And what cooling solution did anyone found...air-water cooling??? Do you suggest LG and Google managed to produce heat multiplier??? If that is the case it is great invention next to wheel and electricity invention :)

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
And what cooling solution did anyone found...air-water cooling??? Do you suggest LG and Google managed to produce heat multiplier??? If that is the case it is great invention next to wheel and electricity invention :)
Indeed, before I sold my Nexus 4 (last night), I had planned to put it beneath a kettle to boil water. Above this would be a turbine, generating electricity during to save money on my utilities bills. And plugged in to this power source would be a USB cable, to keep the Nexus 4 charged. Thus, the Nexus 4 is inefficient beyond the allowed limits of physics, creating a paradox that allows perpetual free energy.

But maybe that was just my N4--yours may not work for this.

PsyAlik

Jan 28, 2012
Ashqelon
I highly doubt that it can corrode from just a sweaty tshirt...(i work on a car wash,my phone gets more that that and still works perfect)

Отправлено с моего Nexus 4 через Tapatalk

parkourz

Jul 8, 2011

f3954f686389ad0be9666da7b89bab4f75e6cc846191cd209c283c2264e9a623.jpg

I've got plastic back :p

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo

Indeed, before I sold my Nexus 4 (last night), I had planned to put it beneath a kettle to boil water. Above this would be a turbine, generating electricity during to save money on my utilities bills. And plugged in to this power source would be a USB cable, to keep the Nexus 4 charged. Thus, the Nexus 4 is inefficient beyond the allowed limits of physics, creating a paradox that allows perpetual free energy.

I feel sorry for the forum of your next phone :)

Mashed_Potatoes

Oct 26, 2012
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Nexus 4 is my first and will be my last Nexus phone....until Google get it's **** together, i'll stick with Samsung. I was much happier with my Note 2....even though it was too big.

The thing that bothers me the most is the thing the should be the best --- screen. The IPS panel has good colors once PA_Halfbreed is applied, but it looks TFT-ish (Cheap) in dark rooms.In medium light the screen is wonderful - like OLED. And then outside it is too reflective and not bright even on max brightness....700 nits my ass

Vertical angles good....horizontal angles ok.....45 degree horizontal angles.....ZERO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Slippery??? Someone pinch me is this a dream...am I in wonderland :eek:
    I mean you can be disappointed...but your arguments are out of this world :silly:
    Thanks for making me laugh :good: :highfive:
    That's enough.

Closed.

I feel sorry for the forum of your next phone :)
    Really funny guys... Just buy thing blindly. Do some research before buying thing then you will not regret anything and waste your money...

Sent from my Mako running LS ROM + Moob Kernel
    This rant is beyond pathetic. This isn't Facebook or twitter. No one cares if you like your phone or not. What were you trying to prove by this post??? Nothing besides looking for attention.

Don't like the phone? Sell it, trade it, smash it, dip it in water. The possibilities are endless.

You live in a humid climate and expected metal things NOT to corrode??? Please point me in the direction where to get metal that doesn't corrode. You're complaining about the heat??? Please, again, point out which device doesn't get hot running a quad core CPU/GPU combo... Please I'd like to know.

This rant is like a rich person complaining that his Ferrari is too low to the ground and doesn't like it for that minor issue.

Get another phone. You can't? Shut up and deal with it.

"This feeling isn't new...." <------ that opening sentence is more than enough to prove you're probably "unhappy" and complain about everything you get.

These post are useless. This needs to be closed ASAP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Replies from different folks to this thread including yours is evidence people care about what the OP is saying so why don't you troll some other 'blasphemous' nexus 4 thread with your creative trolling skills.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk