Search This thread

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
This thread provides a simple solution to a rather serious screen unresponsiveness problem. The problem can manifest in some of the following ways: it takes more than one attempt to move the lock ring, not every press is registered when typing, buttons at the bottom of the screen don't always work, you can't get the carousel spinning, hectic touch issues while charging, etc. Many Sensations have this problem to some degree, and it has been reported on other phone models. Other phones can't be fixed using this method, but you could try the discharge process described under the fix.

UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE FIRST

Before proceeding with any hardware "manipulation" I recommend you try the latest firmware. If you are running a stock ROM simply update your phone's software, and if you are on a custom pre-ICS ROM the update can be found here.
If the issues persist, keep reading.

IMPORTANT

You have to realise this fix does not solve the issue for everyone. So just to be clear, THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE FOR EVERYONE. The reason for this is simple - not everybody has the same issue. My opinion is that these issues have similar symptoms, but the causes are different. Similar issues could be caused by: a faulty charger, bad digitizer or SD card slot touching the cover.

The issue discussed here is related to a small silver pin located at the back of the phone (pictures below). That pin is the screen's "grounding" connection to the back cover. In time the pin loses proper contact to the cover and the screen becomes unresponsive. There is also a matter of static build-up which further complicates matters. I believe this is mostly down to the worst back cover in the known universe.
You could get this problem for no particular reason, but you might also experience it after dropping the phone, sneezing too hard, or when using an aftermarket battery (Anker, Chichitec, etc.) since they are usually thicker. If you have issues only while charging try a different charger. If you still have issues, this fix should help.

Note that there is more than one way to fix the issue, and that the results are not always instantaneous. The simplest fix is pulling the aforementioned pin outwards. The downside is the pin might bend back into its original position... So you could try applying one of the alternative solutions as an addition to pulling the pin.

Also, I am not responsible for your actions. If you damage your phone, it's on you.

CREDITS

What I'm doing here is sorting useful info and adding creative advice, I am not the one responsible for the actual solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was performed. Then, misiek_to_ja (and his daughter :)) noticed that using the phone without the back cover temporarily solves the problem. This meant the problem was beneath the back plate, which abrown0809 proved by pointing us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. stuart0001 started a petition, but HTC ignored it. Andyjb103 pointed out that the firmware update can fix the issue in some cases. And there is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing different chargers, wall sockets, USB plugs, area codes, weather conditions, etc. A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!
Now then...

THE FIX

First, the simplest way to fix the issue. Switch the phone off, remove the back cover and locate the silver pin shown in this picture.

1.jpg

Now pull it out a bit, like so:

2.jpg

Use a needle, a tiny screwdriver, or anything with a pointy end. Just be careful and don't pull too hard or too much. The side of the pin that is closer to the edge of the phone is the side you want do the most pulling to.

And that's it as far as the pin goes! Results could be instant, but there is still a chance you'll need to do a couple of things:

1. Discharge the phone all the way (until it shuts down).
2. Remove the battery and press the power button (as if you were trying to turn the phone on).
3. Leave the phone without the battery overnight (or for at least an hour).
4. Put the battery back and charge the phone without touching the screen.

Make sure you don't touch the screen whenever you're charging, until the issue disappears. This should happen within 2-3 days. If the problem persists, you ether did something wrong, or (as explained above) you have a different issue... Most common related problem is a faulty digitizer.

If the issue does go away you could make sure it stays that way by applying one of the alternatives as well.

ALTERNATIVES

See this small white square on the inside of the back cover?

3.jpg

That's where the silver pin makes contact to the cover. By pulling the pin out you insure better contact to that square. There are plenty of ways to further improve that contact.
Here is a few:

1. Take a small piece of aluminium foil (2cm by 2cm, or whatever works for you), fold it a few times and put it over the square (like this). Now carefully put the phone into the cover and make sure the foil doesn't move away from the square. If you want to keep the foil in place add a drop of superglue (just not directly on the square).

2. Alternatively, the foil could go directly on the pin. Stuart0001 made a picture of that here. This version is a bit more risky though.

3. Adding any sort of aluminium works (or any conductor for that matter). Take a look at what Oceanic72 did here.

4. Put a few drops of solder onto the square. And be careful with this one... Or just skip it if you've never soldered before. More on that in eliteone's post here.

5. Put some electrically conductive paint on the square. Michael_Mcr suggested that here.

There you go :)
If any of these solutions solve your problems but they come back, just try again. I do not recommend puling on the pin more than a few times though...

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

eliteone

Feb 23, 2009
May I just add, that the soldering method, while good and permanent is not for noobs that have never soldered before. In order for solder to properly fuse with aluminum you have to prep the aluminum first. If you don't the solder will just fall off. And keep your iron JUST HOT ENOUGH to melt the solder, if your iron is too hot you risk warping the aluminum your soldering to. But all that being said if your good with an iron, its the most permanent and effective way of getting true contact with your grounding pin. If anybody wants I can do a quick video tut and post it here, just not for a few days...... Got a new baby joining the family tomorrow :D so life will be pretty hectic round here ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

abrown0809

Dec 7, 2008
NYC
May I just add, that the soldering method, while good and permanent is not for noobs that have never soldered before. In order for solder to properly fuse with aluminum you have to prep the aluminum first. If you don't the solder will just fall off. And keep your iron JUST HOT ENOUGH to melt the solder, if your iron is too hot you risk warping the aluminum your soldering to. But all that being said if your good with an iron, its the most permanent and effective way of getting true contact with your grounding pin. If anybody wants I can do a quick video tut and post it here, just not for a few days...... Got a new baby joining the family tomorrow :D so life will be pretty hectic round here ;)

Congrats!!!

misiek_to_ja

Nov 16, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
First off, I am not the one responsible for the solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was, and still is, performed. Then, abrown0809 pointed us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. Also, stuart0001 started a petition that I hope HTC noticed... THANK YOU ALL :)
I might have missed somebody important... Sorry, I am dealing with a lot of info these couple of days... There is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing every possible solution and fix. Myself included :)

Well, I (or more my daughter) will take the credit as well. If I would not discover the fix with taking off the back cover it would not point all of you to grounding pin :)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16858697&postcount=917

Last edited:

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
Got my camera back, so proper pictures added :)

Eliteone promised some pictures of the solder fix. We'll get those in due time… Babies are more important than XDA :D

Reactions: Krayvon

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
Hello,

i have solved the issues related to screen's grounding with a curved alu stripe.

Greetings
Marcus
That even looks good.. I'll add it to the list :)

My issues came back after about 2 weeks... I believe the pin bends back into its original position after a while... Adding something, like foil, aluminium or solder, might be necessary after all. I'll keep testing.

sowen222

Oct 19, 2010
Amsterdam
Thicker 1730mAh Batteries can cause current leakage while charging - Solution

Thanks!

I noticed a small current leakage when charging my Sensation with a 1730mAh battery, and some strange effects if I handled the phone for extended periods while charging - like the power menu popping up when I hadn't pressed the power button.

The battery is about 1mm thicker, and I suspected it was somehow causing something to make contact with the case, or shorting. I could feel the leaking current by rubbing the metal case with my finger and feeling a sort of 'fuzziness'. This only happened when it was charging, and I was able to reproduce this problem with both the HTC OEM Evo 3D 1730mAh battery and the 3rd party Anker / Chichitec battery.

After seeing this post, I realised that the slightly thicker battery was *separating* the contact between the case and this grounding plate. The battery fits perfectly and snugly into the Sensation, but the increased thickness was just enough to reduce the case's contact with the grounding plate.

I was very careful to bend the grounding plate out slightly with a tiny screwdriver as described in your first post.

Now there's no more current leakage! :D YAY! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: tsrzealot

fluke2k

Feb 4, 2007
..and yet ppl are bashing Samsung for build quality.
I came from a Htc Hero with the same problem as this. Sent it in and it was working fine for about three days, then the same problem again.
Then I bought the SGS2 and never looked back.. plastic fantastic:p

Reactions: v_square

ranster

Dec 7, 2007
Tel Aviv
try to plug in a Nokia charger that outputs 1.2A and you'll get the problem continuously.
on the other hand, a computer USB port has low amp output and therefor it "solves" the issue.

btw, i got more touch issues with the Anker battery (again, higher amp output...)

Looks like something with the charging/power control mechanism of this unit is completely wrong :(

Last edited:

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
Thanks!

I noticed a small current leakage when charging my Sensation with a 1730mAh battery, and some strange effects if I handled the phone for extended periods while charging - like the power menu popping up when I hadn't pressed the power button.

The battery is about 1mm thicker, and I suspected it was somehow causing something to make contact with the case, or shorting. I could feel the leaking current by rubbing the metal case with my finger and feeling a sort of 'fuzziness'. This only happened when it was charging, and I was able to reproduce this problem with both the HTC OEM Evo 3D 1730mAh battery and the 3rd party Anker / Chichitec battery.

After seeing this post, I realised that the slightly thicker battery was *separating* the contact between the case and this grounding plate. The battery fits perfectly and snugly into the Sensation, but the increased thickness was just enough to reduce the case's contact with the grounding plate.

I was very careful to bend the grounding plate out slightly with a tiny screwdriver as described in your first post.

Now there's no more current leakage! :D YAY! :D
Makes sense... Thicker battery would mess up the grounding contact. Glad it works :D
Careful though... The pin might bend back. It did for me after a while :)

try to plug in a Nokia charger that outputs 1.2A and you'll get the problem continuously.
on the other hand, a computer USB port has low amp output and therefor it "solves" the issue.

btw, i got more touch issues with the Anker battery (again, higher amp output...)

Looks like something with the charging/power control mechanism of this unit is completely wrong :(
It's true, some phones act differently when charged with different chargers. For some though, mine included, it makes no difference...
Did you try any of the fixes I posted? Any changes?

Reactions: LAChris67

baco200

Jan 15, 2009
This solved half of my problem, before I had a silicon case for protection and everything worked like a charm, then I got touchscreen problems. I put some aluminumfoil like discribed above.
Now without the silicon case it works perfect but with it´s still the same.
Is this because the rubber doesn´t conduct ? But then why did it work in the first place?

Does somebody else uses a rubber case?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread provides a simple solution to a rather serious screen unresponsiveness problem. The problem can manifest in some of the following ways: it takes more than one attempt to move the lock ring, not every press is registered when typing, buttons at the bottom of the screen don't always work, you can't get the carousel spinning, hectic touch issues while charging, etc. Many Sensations have this problem to some degree, and it has been reported on other phone models. Other phones can't be fixed using this method, but you could try the discharge process described under the fix.

UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE FIRST

Before proceeding with any hardware "manipulation" I recommend you try the latest firmware. If you are running a stock ROM simply update your phone's software, and if you are on a custom pre-ICS ROM the update can be found here.
    If the issues persist, keep reading.

IMPORTANT

You have to realise this fix does not solve the issue for everyone. So just to be clear, THIS DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE FOR EVERYONE. The reason for this is simple - not everybody has the same issue. My opinion is that these issues have similar symptoms, but the causes are different. Similar issues could be caused by: a faulty charger, bad digitizer or SD card slot touching the cover.

The issue discussed here is related to a small silver pin located at the back of the phone (pictures below). That pin is the screen's "grounding" connection to the back cover. In time the pin loses proper contact to the cover and the screen becomes unresponsive. There is also a matter of static build-up which further complicates matters. I believe this is mostly down to the worst back cover in the known universe.
    You could get this problem for no particular reason, but you might also experience it after dropping the phone, sneezing too hard, or when using an aftermarket battery (Anker, Chichitec, etc.) since they are usually thicker. If you have issues only while charging try a different charger. If you still have issues, this fix should help.

Note that there is more than one way to fix the issue, and that the results are not always instantaneous. The simplest fix is pulling the aforementioned pin outwards. The downside is the pin might bend back into its original position... So you could try applying one of the alternative solutions as an addition to pulling the pin.

Also, I am not responsible for your actions. If you damage your phone, it's on you.

CREDITS

What I'm doing here is sorting useful info and adding creative advice, I am not the one responsible for the actual solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was performed. Then, misiek_to_ja (and his daughter :)) noticed that using the phone without the back cover temporarily solves the problem. This meant the problem was beneath the back plate, which abrown0809 proved by pointing us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. stuart0001 started a petition, but HTC ignored it. Andyjb103 pointed out that the firmware update can fix the issue in some cases. And there is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing different chargers, wall sockets, USB plugs, area codes, weather conditions, etc. A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE!
    Now then...

THE FIX

First, the simplest way to fix the issue. Switch the phone off, remove the back cover and locate the silver pin shown in this picture.

1.jpg

Now pull it out a bit, like so:

2.jpg

Use a needle, a tiny screwdriver, or anything with a pointy end. Just be careful and don't pull too hard or too much. The side of the pin that is closer to the edge of the phone is the side you want do the most pulling to.

And that's it as far as the pin goes! Results could be instant, but there is still a chance you'll need to do a couple of things:

1. Discharge the phone all the way (until it shuts down).
    2. Remove the battery and press the power button (as if you were trying to turn the phone on).
    3. Leave the phone without the battery overnight (or for at least an hour).
    4. Put the battery back and charge the phone without touching the screen.

Make sure you don't touch the screen whenever you're charging, until the issue disappears. This should happen within 2-3 days. If the problem persists, you ether did something wrong, or (as explained above) you have a different issue... Most common related problem is a faulty digitizer.

If the issue does go away you could make sure it stays that way by applying one of the alternatives as well.

ALTERNATIVES

See this small white square on the inside of the back cover?

3.jpg

That's where the silver pin makes contact to the cover. By pulling the pin out you insure better contact to that square. There are plenty of ways to further improve that contact.
    Here is a few:

1. Take a small piece of aluminium foil (2cm by 2cm, or whatever works for you), fold it a few times and put it over the square (like this). Now carefully put the phone into the cover and make sure the foil doesn't move away from the square. If you want to keep the foil in place add a drop of superglue (just not directly on the square).

2. Alternatively, the foil could go directly on the pin. Stuart0001 made a picture of that here. This version is a bit more risky though.

3. Adding any sort of aluminium works (or any conductor for that matter). Take a look at what Oceanic72 did here.

4. Put a few drops of solder onto the square. And be careful with this one... Or just skip it if you've never soldered before. More on that in eliteone's post here.

5. Put some electrically conductive paint on the square. Michael_Mcr suggested that here.

There you go :)
    If any of these solutions solve your problems but they come back, just try again. I do not recommend puling on the pin more than a few times though...

Hope I helped!

I don't have these problems, but thanking anyway :) I hope this solves the problem for most people

Swyped from my HTC Sensation
    OP updated.

And congrats to eliteone again!
    First off, I am not the one responsible for the solution. It's primarily tinky1, who started the first thread on the issue, where most debating and solving was, and still is, performed. Then, abrown0809 pointed us to the grounding pin that everybody was somehow missing for two months. What followed were aluminium foil and soldering tricks that eliteone thought of. Also, stuart0001 started a petition that I hope HTC noticed... THANK YOU ALL :)
    I might have missed somebody important... Sorry, I am dealing with a lot of info these couple of days... There is of course everyone from tinky1's thread that went through loads of pain and suffering while testing every possible solution and fix. Myself included :)

Well, I (or more my daughter) will take the credit as well. If I would not discover the fix with taking off the back cover it would not point all of you to grounding pin :)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16858697&postcount=917