[NEW] NT CM7 support thread

Search This thread

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
thank you but i didn't understand should use EASEUS Partition Master before or after rooting ? i know it may look like a silly question but sorry i'm not po this is my first time rooting and i'm trying to learn .. and yes i'm using Cm7

You have to use the partitioning software after you write the CM7 .img to your card. The CM7 ROM is pre-rooted.

Reactions: kazzaz

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
In an Android file manager, /sdcard (or /mnt/sdcard) is the 4th partition of your SD card.

If you take the SD card out of your NT and put it into Windows PC, you will only be to view the 1st partition (boot partition, about 190MB) of the card...

You understood it perfectly. Thanks.

Side question then...why was someone insisting the 1st partition was the one that should be expanded? I guess because it is the one you "see" when the card is out of the Nook--but so what, as space added to 1st partition would be unusable as soon as it was back into the Nook, right?

Or is it that the OTHER folders (other than sdcard) belong to partition 1?

kazzaz

Jun 13, 2010
Cairo
Solar.Plexus thank you done it perfectly but it's strange that there are about 2g still unused why is that ? or they go for the system ?

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
You understood it perfectly. Thanks.

Side question then...why was someone insisting the 1st partition was the one that should be expanded? I guess because it is the one you "see" when the card is out of the Nook--but so what, as space added to 1st partition would be unusable as soon as it was back into the Nook, right?

Or is it that the OTHER folders (other than sdcard) belong to partition 1?

Yeah, you're basically correct. They just wanted to extend the first partition because they have a Windows machine and they want to be able to view the contents of the card when it's outside of the NT.

You can make an edit of a system file to allow the CM7 SD ROM to mount the 1st partition of the card as the "userdata" partition, but it's absolutely easier to just make the 4th card partition for userdata. Not to mention safer, since the 1st partition contains all the boot files.

If you're interested, I made a tutorial a while back to allow Windows to mount all the partitions of your SD card.

Solar.Plexus thank you done it perfectly but it's strange that there are about 2g still unused why is that ? or they go for the system ?

Are you using a big SD card, 32GB or so? In that case, the card needs a few GBs for itself, meaning you actually have a little less than 32GB, even when you buy it and take it out of the packaging.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
If you make no changes other than extending the 4th partition (sdcard; /mnt/sdcard), what partitions are the other folders "on?"

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
All of the ones you see when opening a file manager.
I believe this is how the CM7 SD .img writes to your card originally, before you repartition:

1st partition: /bootdata, 200MB formatted as FAT32
2nd partition: /system, 1.30GB formatted as EXT4
3rd partition: /data, 1.30GB formatted as EXT4
4th partition: /sdcard, 900MB formatted as FAT32

I think it added up to 3.7GB, and I may have be off a few megabytes. I can't remember the exact partition sizes because I ended up making my /data a little bit bigger.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
Here are the folders I see on mine, at root, using ES File Explorer...

acct
bootdata
P1
cache
config
d
data
P3
dev
etc
mnt
proc
rom
root
sbin
sd-ext
sdcard
P4
sys
system
P2
vendor

I hope you understand, I am not trying to be a jerk. I am just really curious to understand how all this fits together. So, where might be the partitions for the other ones?

And how does one tell, other than just "knowing?"

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Here are the folders I see on mine, at root, using ES File Explorer...

acct
bootdata
P1
cache
config
d
data
P3
dev
etc
mnt
proc
rom
root
sbin
sd-ext
sdcard
P4
sys
system
P2
vendor

I hope you understand, I am not trying to be a jerk. I am just really curious to understand how all this fits together. So, where might be the partitions for the other ones?

And how does one tell, other than just "knowing?"
What? Everything else is on your actual NT.

Think about this: If you take your SD card out and plug your NT into a computer. X: drive pops up as My NOOK, because the /mnt/media is on the NT, not the SD card.

Last edited:

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
What? Everything else is on your actual NT.

Think about this: If you take your SD card out and plug your NT into a computer. X: drive pops up as My NOOK, because the /mnt/media is on the NT, not the SD card.

OK, terrific. I am learning great stuff with every post. So, how did you know that? Did you at one time write posts like I am doing, or find some place/book that taught you this, or ....?

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
OK, terrific. I am learning great stuff with every post. So, how did you know that? Did you at one time write posts like I am doing, or find some place/book that taught you this, or ....?

I guess just spending a lot of time around with the NT. You start to pick up on little things you didn't realize before. It's nice to have as a hobby, too. Besides, college weekend activities get really old, really fast.

The biggest thing I can say is don't just follow directions, because it's impossible to learn about your device that way. It's better to understand what you're doing to the device so that you have better knowledge on how to fix it or change it later on.

And that's just what these forums before. Even before I had my NT in my hands, I read up on everything I could find so I knew how to revert back to 1.4.0 if necessary, root, and block OTAs. With every new device you have to learn the way it works.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
OK, now with all the help here, I pretty much understand the file structure with the CM7 alpha on microSD card.

Now, would someone kindly point me to the right thread for this: this NT16 I am using has updated itself to 1.4.2 in native mode. What should I do? Leave it? Install the OTA block for future? Revert to 1.4.0?

Here is not the right place--looking for where to go to figure out what to do with it, then HOW (I already kind of understand indirect's OTA block).

PM is OK.

Bubonic78

Feb 7, 2012
Garland
thanx but now i have no CWM and cant get to recovery. i put the CM7 on the internal and my sd is now blank. the system reads it just nothing on it. tried to install recovery and now when it boots up all i see is athe busybox then a blank screen . can you point me in a direction that i can just put it back to a nook again.

Last edited:

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
thanx but now i have no CWM and cant get to recovery. i put the CM7 on the internal and my sd is now blank. the system reads it just nothing on it. tried to install recovery and now when it boots up all i see is athe busybox then a blank screen . can you point me in a direction that i can just put it back to a nook again.
You can make a bootable CWM SD card. Directions found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446987

Bubonic78

Feb 7, 2012
Garland
The screen goes blank. If I turn it off then plug the nook in it goes in to CWM recovery. Bit no matter what I do after reboot the screen will show the n screen then the white busybox screen then nothing. Just blank. I can't do anything with it. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To use ES File Explorer to edit system files, you need to go to ES File Explorer settings and checked "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System". To edit buid.prop, long press on the file and open it as text in ES Note Editor. Build.prop is in your system folder.

For wifi problem,

Try - edit your build.prop and commented out "wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 20" by "# wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 20".

Not sure if it'll help with the random wifi drop.

While you're there, change "dalvik.vm.heapsize=64m" to "dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m"

Wifi calibration,

Turn off your wifi and open up terminal

# su
    # insmod system/etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko <-only if tiwlan_drv.ko is not loaded, check by lsmod
    # start wlan_loader
    # ifconfig tiwlan0 up
    # wlan_cu -b
    # / w p 1 l 2 f 2 <-there is space between each character
    # / t b v 21
    # / t b t 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    # / q
    # /system/bin/rmmod tiwlan_drv

Now you can turn on your wifi.

For mounting media partition,

Try - edit your build.prop and add, "ro.additionalmounts=/mnt/media" and
    "ro.vold.switchablepair=/mnt/sdcard,/mnt/media".

I don't know if this work, but in my CM7 build it work when you turn on USB storage. It will mount both sdcard and media partitions.

For reading epub with Nook App,

Copy your epub to /sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments and refresh in the app.
    Now that we've released CM7 again for the NT I thought I'd best start up a proper support thread. Pleas keep it as back reports and help.

Please use this thread to post feedback and to ask questions. The Dev thread is for exactly that, development and not support! Please keep the development thread clear of support and feedback posts.

Live support may be available on irc.freenode.net irc channel #nook-tablet-chat, if any of us are around we'll be happy to help but don't bug people if they are busy please. A web version of irc is available here http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=nook-tablet-chat

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format

• Which install are you using (Internal or SD):
    • What version is your CM7 download that you are using (should be alpha final now):
    • Do you have any mods on your NT (updates or system modifications)
    • If yes to above what have you installed
    • Where is this bug (main system or which application):
    • Can this bug be easily replicated:
    • If yes to above how can we replicate it to check:
    • Description of the bug
    • Any other information we may find useful

Know bugs for Internal version will be in post #2

Known Bugs for SD version will be in post #3

I'm awaiting a Mod cleanup of this thread and all previous bugs up until the new release will be removed from this thread, should knock it back down to about 2 or 3 pages and give me the 2nd and 3rd posts I mention above.
    Bugs / Issues from the SD version

System will reboot if you remove the SD card, this is completely normal and you should not remove the SD while device is running from it.

Market will not work properly after the update unless you install the GApps (follow link in Dev thread)

Wifi sometimes does no reconnect after sleep, simply tap on the status bar to get notification up and toggle wifi off / on and it should reconnect.

There is currently no Reboot to Recovery option in the power menu, you can do this instead by going to rom manager (make sure it's updated via Market / Play)

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. search this thread for how to fix the issue on SD release

There is still a possible issue with formatting. A member has said that asking the software to format the /media partition totally wiped his entire device completely removing the partition table creating a paperweight. As has been mentioned many times in both thread about CM7, if any formatting needs to be done please do it from a computer and if in the case of the Media partition that's not possible just delete files instead of formatting. Due to the risk involved we have not yet attempted to recreate this issue on our own devices!
    Bugs / Issues from the internal version

Market will not work properly after the update unless you install the GApps (follow link in Dev thread)

Wifi sometimes does no reconnect after sleep, simply tap on the status bar to get notification up and toggle wifi off / on and it should reconnect.

There is currently no Reboot to Recovery option in the power menu, you can do this instead by going to rom manager (make sure it's updated via Market / Play)

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. update zip to be flashed via CWM available HERE

There is still a possible issue with formatting. A member has said that asking the software to format the /media partition totally wiped his entire device completely removing the partition table creating a paperweight. As has been mentioned many times in both thread about CM7, if any formatting needs to be done please do it from a computer and if in the case of the Media partition that's not possible just delete files instead of formatting. Due to the risk involved we have not yet attempted to recreate this issue on our own devices!
    New internal release version Alpha Final released today 9th March

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format to keep things easy for us

• Which install are you using (Internal or SD):
    • What version is your CM7 download that you are using (should be alpha final now):
    • Do you have any mods on your NT (updates or system modifications)
    • If yes to above what have you installed
    • Where is this bug (main system or which application):
    • Can this bug be easily replicated:
    • If yes to above how can we replicate it to check:
    • Description of the bug
    Any other information we may find useful