[MOD][XPOSED][4.0.3+] WhatsApp Mods - simple but helpful improvements to WhatsApp

Search This thread

jayshah

Jul 2, 2009
Hi,

I would like to present my second Xposed Mod. I'm uploading this one too since the Waze one had some interest, so I hope this one can be of use to other people too.

Useful modifications to WhatsApp. Currently includes:

• Removal of the voice and/or camera buttons from the conversation view
  • The ability to keep the contact list (called "New Chat" in WhatsApp) in your history, so when you launch a conversation using it and then press the back button, it doesn't skip straight back to the main conversations list.
  • Highlight group conversations in a custom color in the main chat list (and contact picker).
  • Disable WhatsApp expiry check

Changelog can be found here.

Removal of the camera and/or voice buttons

Some time ago, WhatsApp added the "audio voice" feature. I found it hindered significantly more than it helped: if you tapped it accidentally, it would vibrate and emit a notification-like sound. And, I would do this repeatedly and so never found this useful (I don't use voice messaging).

More time passes, and they add a camera icon. This is more useful, and personally I'd prefer if that was the only one. So - I wrote this (it's also open source: https://github.com/jaysh/xposed-whatsapp). It's entirely configurable based on what you would like.

Before (with both camera and voice visible):
before.png

After (no voice, no camera - you can choose which combination you'd like):
after-no-camera-no-voice.png

(Note: in all cases, the "send message" button will appear after you start typing, as it always would. Additionally, disabling sending still allows you to receive them.)

Keep contact list in the history

When navigating to a conversation via the "contact list" (main WhatsApp screen > "New Chat" on the action bar > Select a contact) and you press the back key, rather than returning to the contact list, it returns you back to the main WhatsApp screen with your list of conversations - which can be a little frustrating.

This mod allows you to "go back" to the contact list, so you can chat uninterrupted.

How to install

Recommended method: install via the Xposed module installer - search for "WhatsApp Mods"

Alternatively, for offline installation, you can use this APK: http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/sh.jay.xposed.whatsapp_v4_da029a.apk

Please do let me know if any comments/feedback. If you are looking for other features, you may well find them over at WhatsAppX.

Thanks!
Jay

Last edited:

defim

Feb 18, 2012
Motorola Defy
Nexus 7 (2013)
Great idea, I also dont like these 2 icons.
I noticed you are hiding them by setting width&heigh to 0. If I'm using thsi in eclipse it shows me that 0 values are not valid. Maybe you could better imagebutton.setVisibility(View.GONE)?

Reactions: arnamr

jayshah

Jul 2, 2009
Whatsapp+ can also be the same, even many other features..

Good point - but I'd rather run the stock WhatsApp myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though. I really want less features, not more: I like WhatsApp to be a simple text/media exchange, nothing more.

Great idea, I also dont like these 2 icons.
I noticed you are hiding them by setting width&heigh to 0. If I'm using thsi in eclipse it shows me that 0 values are not valid. Maybe you could better imagebutton.setVisibility(View.GONE)?

WhatsApp toggle their visibility based on what you are doing, e.g. if you're typing or not - so they don't stay hidden when you only toggle their visibility (in fact, the default layout doesn't even appear to have the correct viability settings applied, so I think they're relying on their Java code to toggle it). Open to other ideas on how to make it less hacky, naturally.

Last edited:
K

King ov Hell

Working on latest version (2.11.310) good job. Hope you will add that fix for contact list.

kazemitsui

Dec 15, 2010
Seattle
HTC One (m7)
Google Pixel
After whichever updated that added voice notes and photo taking I really wished they had a way to disable the feature. this mod does exactly that without having to install a modded apk! great work! nice and easy installation!

defim

Feb 18, 2012
Motorola Defy
Nexus 7 (2013)
WhatsApp toggle their visibility based on what you are doing, e.g. if you're typing or not - so they don't stay hidden when you only toggle their visibility (in fact, the default layout doesn't even appear to have the correct viability settings applied, so I think they're relying on their Java code to toggle it). Open to other ideas on how to make it less hacky, naturally.

If soemthing was set to GONE, it is not even possible to make it visible again by code. Only if you set INVISILBE it could be made visible again.
The INVISIBLE takes still the space like if it is visible. GONE does not consume space.

EDIT: I read about it, seems a invalidate() of the upper layout is needed but searching it consumes time. So set w+h to 0 is fine :D

Last edited:

wilflare

Sep 28, 2013
this is awesome :D thanks!
been wanting to remove that camera button/voice button for awhile now

jayshah

Jul 2, 2009
Great work, personally I don't have problem with these buttons ... do you think you could change a weird behavior when you are view whatsapp contact list then select a contact, then press back and whatsapp returns to chat list instead contact list?

true
that is the most annoying thing in whatsapp

Working on latest version (2.11.310) good job. Hope you will add that fix for contact list.

Thanks! I will try and take a look at this as it seems there are a few requests for it. Because the Java code has been obfuscated, it will take me some time before I can confirm I have done it or not.

Can you do similar for telegram?

I don't use Telegram unfortunately, so this is quite unlikely. Sorry! But, you can use the source code to try this yourself, if you like, I hope the idea would be very similar.

can you add a lock protection feature on whatsapp

I believe there are already apps that allow you to lock other apps? Unless I misunderstand you.

Hi! @jayshah, check your GitHub!

I've make polish translation and i make new more cool icon for that module. Regards! :)

Fantastic :D I am really busy tonight but I will do my best to test and merge this tomorrow. Hope that is okay. Thanks so much for your contribution!

It works as described!! This really come in handy!! Thanks @jayshah

Thank you for downloading!

K

King ov Hell

I can do Turkish translates too. Just tell me what should I do ? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I would like to present my second Xposed Mod. I'm uploading this one too since the Waze one had some interest, so I hope this one can be of use to other people too.

Useful modifications to WhatsApp. Currently includes:

• Removal of the voice and/or camera buttons from the conversation view
    • The ability to keep the contact list (called "New Chat" in WhatsApp) in your history, so when you launch a conversation using it and then press the back button, it doesn't skip straight back to the main conversations list.
    • Highlight group conversations in a custom color in the main chat list (and contact picker).
    • Disable WhatsApp expiry check

Changelog can be found here.

Removal of the camera and/or voice buttons

Some time ago, WhatsApp added the "audio voice" feature. I found it hindered significantly more than it helped: if you tapped it accidentally, it would vibrate and emit a notification-like sound. And, I would do this repeatedly and so never found this useful (I don't use voice messaging).

More time passes, and they add a camera icon. This is more useful, and personally I'd prefer if that was the only one. So - I wrote this (it's also open source: https://github.com/jaysh/xposed-whatsapp). It's entirely configurable based on what you would like.

Before (with both camera and voice visible):
    before.png

After (no voice, no camera - you can choose which combination you'd like):
    after-no-camera-no-voice.png

(Note: in all cases, the "send message" button will appear after you start typing, as it always would. Additionally, disabling sending still allows you to receive them.)

Keep contact list in the history

When navigating to a conversation via the "contact list" (main WhatsApp screen > "New Chat" on the action bar > Select a contact) and you press the back key, rather than returning to the contact list, it returns you back to the main WhatsApp screen with your list of conversations - which can be a little frustrating.

This mod allows you to "go back" to the contact list, so you can chat uninterrupted.

How to install

Recommended method: install via the Xposed module installer - search for "WhatsApp Mods"

Alternatively, for offline installation, you can use this APK: http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/sh.jay.xposed.whatsapp_v4_da029a.apk

Please do let me know if any comments/feedback. If you are looking for other features, you may well find them over at WhatsAppX.

Thanks!
    Jay
    Hey all,

Just to give you a quick update on the status of the module. Due to time constraints, I won't be looking too much into adding new features - however, I would stress that I will continue to main it, with bugfixes, etc. Thanks to all those who suggested new features - if I ever get time to implement them, that's the list I will certainly return to.

Thanks,
    Jay
    The last seen time. Would it be possible to prevent it from changing? So that others can only see the time at which it was blocked using this module. Hope I made myself clear now?

I had an experiment with this, and it's horribly complicated at the network level because the network traffic is encrypted in the application *and* the application has its code obfuscated.

I'm considering trying a hack, one that would flick the setting to "my contacts" long enough that it'd reload the conversation and fetch the time, then flick it back. But, that'd need considerable testing.

Those are much better ideas for differentiating groups from normal conversations. I like the different coloured background one a little more, think it will be easier to differentiate at a quick glance.

Good news, I have a proof-of-concept for this. It's quite intricate, so I'll be testing it myself for a few days before I place the beta on the repository.

Wow .. Great mod bro..
    One more request that -you know WhatsApp keep pushing notification until we open the WhatsApp and read it , its really annoying .. Can you do something so that once I CLEAR the notification it doesn't show up again.. Thanks again bro..

Thanks. I've also had this issue. Tracking this as https://github.com/jaysh/xposed-whatsapp/issues/11.
    Wow .. Great mod bro..
    One more request that -you know WhatsApp keep pushing notification until we open the WhatsApp and read it , its really annoying .. Can you do something so that once I CLEAR the notification it doesn't show up again.. Thanks again bro..
    Great work, personally I don't have problem with these buttons ... do you think you could change a weird behavior when you are view whatsapp contact list then select a contact, then press back and whatsapp returns to chat list instead contact list?