[Help][50% SOLVED] LTE = random heavy battery drain aka "plummet"

Search This thread

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
Two gmail accounts with the gmail app. Nothing else. The stock email app is disabled.

I decided today that I was tired of troubleshooting this damn issue. I was going to just reboot every morning and pretend it didn't exist.

So much for that. I rebooted at 9am this morning and at 7pm the plummet started. I've never seen it happen so quickly but it's obviously a bigger problem than I thought.

Either I have to continue to try and figure this out or find some app that will alert me if the battery starts dropping quickly so I can catch it before it does too much damage.

Karpfenhai

Nov 25, 2011
Leipzig
Poor guy, I'm sad i couldn't help, keep trying. I'm interested in a solution to extend my knowledge.

Don't give up buddy you will make it!

Tapatalked from my Samsung GT9100

Reactions: jeffreii

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
Poor guy, I'm sad i couldn't help, keep trying. I'm interested in a solution to extend my knowledge.

Don't give up buddy you will make it!

Haha thanks. I think a lot of people who have this issue are just living with it and rebooting often. For me, though, it's a puzzle I want to solve...even if I am getting demoralized by the lack of progress!

Today I am pretty sure I will factory wipe and use the phone for up to a week (or until first plummet occurs) totally stock with no apps installed...it will suck but it will tell me an important piece of information.

patmann03

Jun 29, 2012
Chicago
I have this issue as well. I reboot every morning or whenever I notice it. This time I noticed it quite late and I lost half my battery. Although for some reason my phone never entered deep sleep which is what I think the issue was. I can't recall if that is what happened in the past since this is the first time it has happened in a while.

spinosa

Nov 6, 2011
My wife's SIII has this issue - it has triggered at least twice in the 10 days she has had the phone. I've done lots of reading. The best 'guess' I've see yet is that there is a bug in the process to switch between LTE and HSPDA. Apparently this is a tricky process. The person that came up with this theory suggests using an APN (no root required to add/switch APNs) that excludes LTE.

This fits our conditions. We have three APs in the house, one of which is flakey. Also the HSPDA/LTE signal is not great. The flakey AP and low signal would tend to trigger the LTE/HSPDA switch often... I've added added an APN that does not enable LTE. Will see what happens.

rickwood

Mar 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure my issue has been due to gsiff_daemon. Most of the time it seemed to be triggered when I would start Facebook and Facebook would use the gps to determine my location. So I tried turning off the gps except when I'm in the car. One week so far and no hot boots or runaway gsiff_daemon issues. Battery life has been good. I guess this will work until Samsung pushes out a fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
One quick way to rule out whether this is caused by the gsiff_daemon issue is to rename gsiff_daemon (or move it) and try running your phone without it for a while. As far as I can tell, the worst that will happen is your GPS accuracy will suffer. This post roughly describes how to do it.

I read, in the gsiff_daemon thread, that enabling show cpu usage (below) should show gsiff_daemon as a top process if it's an issue. I have done so and never seen it. It also does not show up in my BBS logs.

settings / developer options / show cpu usage

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
I'm pretty sure my issue has been due to gsiff_daemon. Most of the time it seemed to be triggered when I would start Facebook and Facebook would use the gps to determine my location. So I tried turning off the gps except when I'm in the car. One week so far and no hot boots or runaway gsiff_daemon issues. Battery life has been good. I guess this will work until Samsung pushes out a fix.

I have kept GPS off for weeks now and still had the plummet. I only turn it on for Google Maps which I don't really use that often.

reeneebob

Aug 30, 2010
I get this battery drain maybe once a week, a friend of mine also gets it occasionally, It is very unlikely that our phones are from the same batch, because he got his 2 weeks before i got mine. It seems to be a more widespread problem than we think, and i hope samsung, or someone on XDA, can figure it out and fix it.

Hey guys - I'm now chiming in too. I am back on Android after being away for over a year, but my last android phone was a Galaxy i9000M that had this SAME bug and I had to root it to get it to stop. Now, after a month of owning my i747M, this has done it twice in a week and a half. I charge it to 100% before bed, leave it on my night stand, and wake up 9 hours later to a 2% battery and the cellular radio has been awake for 9 hours (even with wifi on). I've rooted after it did it the first time a week and a half ago...just in case, but am I gonna need to rom this to make it stop?

I can't believe Samsung STILL has this bug after several models of Galaxy and a year and a half.

415f32e9-7cec-8c3e.jpg

415f32e9-7cfd-12f4.jpg

Last edited:

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
UPDATE: 3 days of use with wifi OFF the entire time and just got the plummet again. Was testing to see if wifi/mobile data switching was the cause. Nope.

Hey guys - I'm now chiming in too. I am back on Android after being away for over a year, but my last android phone was a Galaxy i9000M that had this SAME bug and I had to root it to get it to stop. Now, after a month of owning my i747M, this has done it twice in a week and a half. I charge it to 100% before bed, leave it on my night stand, and wake up 9 hours later to a 2% battery and the cellular radio has been awake for 9 hours (even with wifi on). I've rooted after it did it the first time a week and a half ago...just in case, but am I gonna need to rom this to make it stop?

I can't believe Samsung STILL has this bug after several models of Galaxy and a year and a half.

Doesn't look like you have the same problem. Your device is awake 100% of the time for some reason. None of my battery graphs have shown anything like that - which is the obvious culprit in your battery drain issue.

reeneebob

Aug 30, 2010
Grrrrrrrrrr its making me grumpy.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

jungan

Aug 23, 2012
Hi guys, I've been following this thread closely since my phones seems to behaving the same way. I registered today to post that I think I've found a pretty consistent way to make the quick battery drain happen. Go to a place that has wifi. Just toggle between wifi and 4g like about three times and then just wait. Your phone should start to get warm and the battery should start draining about a 1 percent every 30 minutes or less. Restarting my phone would not stop the drain. I would have to shut the phone off and then charge it for like 5 minutes, start it back up and then everything would go back to normal.

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL

I'm about to hit the 6 day mark (no reboots) since disabling my LTE. Still no plummet. This is the longest I've gone without the plummet, as far as I can remember.

I will keep letting it run and see if it happens but so far so good with LTE disabled. If you are experiencing this problem and don't mind using HSPA+ instead of LTE, I suggest you follow the procedure to disable LTE and try it out.

The question now is WHY is LTE causing this? I'll give it another day or two to be sure but it might warrant a new thread if I have indeed pinpointed LTE as the cause.

Reactions: rana_kirti

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Search for the gsiff_daemon thread. It sounds like that may be your problem. I don't have the link handy but if you don't find it I'll dig it up for you.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app
    Since turning on airplane mode stops it my guess is that its a bad radio. Only option would be to exchange it and tell them this is your second defective unit.
    What are the odds of me having two units in a row with the exact same problem, which does not appear to be widespread?

The bad news is that I am past my 30 day exchange window.

If you got that unit during your 30 days you should have 30 days for that unit and if you don't then go through manufactures warranty. Unless your willing to play around with roms to see if that solves it.

In terms of odds maybe your ATT store just got a bad batch either that or you have incredibly bad luck but I do know of one other person who had the same problem if I remember correctly.

Sent from my GSIII
    Whats your screen on time, battery stats indicated a deep idle of only 2hrs.

And damn your cell standby % is huge. When I had the cell standby bug it only rose to about 15%.

IMO that high cell standby is not normal even with the bug.

I agree with you, I don't think it's normal even with the bug. Maybe OP should download fix or a rom with the fix if he doesn't want to use the warranty and see if it still tops the charts with the bug fixed.
    Here's another sample with a Better Battery Stats log attached as well.

I'm going to do another test tonight with airplane mode enabled + another BBS log.

post your bbs log to the thread here : > Android Development and Hacking > Android Apps and Games > [APP] [30 Jul - V1.9.1] BetterBatteryStats adds battery history back to Android

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

you will be helped there for sure.:D