Mistakes may have been made...

Search This thread

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Well guys, I think I messed this one up, Sprint HTC One Max that I unlocked the bootloader on and then proceeded to S-Off with Rumrunner and failed due to not already having su permissions.(note his instructions say "OR Bootloader unlocked" so I figured I was fine having done that) The device rebooted fine initially after exiting the tool and then after attempting to manually flash TWRP for this device so I could get root access and try again, the phone rebooted to recovery and now fastboot AC is as far as I can get. Downloading the Sprint Decrypted RUU from OMJ now because I'm retarded and cant figure out how to get around using commands in Free Arc to unzip the signed RUU...any help is appreciated. :silly: Tried manually updating the drivers for the "unknown device" on usb hub port 8 in my device manager with offical and generic HTC drivers and tried reinstalling HTC Sync to no avail. am I bricked?

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Everyone MUST use the files for the HTC One "MAX" corresponding to their model (Sprint, Verizon or International). OMJ has not posted in any forum for the One MAX (as far as I know).

Use this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2525805

*Did you flash the twrp for the One MAX from this forum?

I have it, both the decrypted one OMJ posted on page 2 and the signed one. But free arc wont let me open it. What the hell am I doing wrong? How do I unzip the signed one and use it without the error. I know it has to be something simple I'm missing. Yes I used the twrpsprint.img from Squabbi's Toolkit, thats what failed the phone into recovery. (Red Traingle). Now the phone can get into the bootloader and it will boot into android but no usb debugging when I enable it.

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
I have it, both the decrypted one OMJ posted on page 2 and the signed one. But free arc wont let me open it. What the hell am I doing wrong? How do I unzip the signed one and use it without the error. I know it has to be something simple I'm missing. Yes I used the twrpsprint.img from Squabbi's Toolkit, thats what failed the phone into recovery. (Red Traingle). Now the phone can get into the bootloader and it will boot into android but no usb debugging when I enable it.
Found OMJ post now. He posted the decrypted in the same thread as the encrypted. Got it.

Can you boot to bootloader with vol down and power? Does it show you as s-off?

Flashify in the play store will flash the twrp .img from flyhalf twrp thread in original dev or you can use his instructions and use fastboot.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I don't think you need to ruu if you can boot to android and bootloader. It can be fixed using other methods.

Last edited:

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Found OMJ post now. He posted the decrypted in the same thread as the encrypted. Got it.

Can you boot to bootloader with vol down and power? Does it show you as s-off?

Flashify in the play store will flash the twrp .img from flyhalf twrp thread in original dev or you can use his instructions and use fastboot.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I don't think you need to ruu if you can boot to android and bootloader. It can be fixed using other methods.

I can get to the bootloader no problems just that the phone wont talk to the computer. I can hear it connect/disconnect from usb but always device unrecognized so I cant send the phone any commands. I can boot into android no issues though. So youre suggesting flash twrp img using an app like flashify or goo manager like a openrecoveryscrript from android then install a custom ROM after to fix the fastboot usb recognition? I am S-On, unlocked currently.

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
I am hoping to help but was/am distracted. I think you can fix what is going on with flashing the twrp from flyhalf thread. I am not on sprint so haven't gone through it on that side.

Also as noted in the ruu thread you cannot flash the older ruu posted if you are on a newer update. Check the version.

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
are you using adb commands to see if you are connected?
did you reboot your laptop and phone after installing the drivers?

yup.. going through troubleshooting this connection right now... nothing returned on adb devices, list of devices is blank. somethings up. no serial number, nothing... tried both in the OS and in fastboot.

troubleshooting connectivity issues:
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
Done. Trying to figure out how to get twrp without fastboot... or how to get the laptop to recognize the device now.

Did the app "Flashify" from the play store not flash the twrp .img from fluhalf thread?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Update your version of adb. Older versions may not recognize devices on fastboot even though they do in adb.

Reactions: Skyymiles

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Did the app "Flashify" from the play store not flash the twrp .img from fluhalf thread?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Update your version of adb. Older versions may not recognize devices on fastboot even though they do in adb.

Never achieved SU to begin with so I cant flash it. the app FCs without Su permission. I'll try updating adb.

Question: If I never managed to achieve anything beyond Unlocking the bootloader, wouldn't a Factory Reset from the boot loader menu fix any partition discrepancies anyway and allow the PC to recognize the device again? I guess thats what I cant understand. What would go so wrong if I never flashed anything, not intended for Sprint HTC One Max's that would suddenly cause the PC not to recognize the Fastboot USB?

UPDATE1/25:

Updated everything in adb for 4.3 and 4.4 and 4.2.2 and the toolkits. Still nothing. I think I have determined the root cause may be a bad copy of TWRP that results in a QHSUSB_DLOAD issue like from the Evo 3D days. Unfortunately however, since the One Max is a relatively new device, there has been no "ultimate recovery tools" established to fix this type of error. So now, lol... wait for it. Now I have an "Unlocked", unrooted, S-ON, Stock HTC One Max(sprint) and stock recovery whos partitions I can only imagine are ok yet the computer refuses to recognize on fastboot.

That said, does anybody know, since I can apparently boot Android, and the phone itself works just fine, if there are any market apps which would support flashing from inside the phone, like Flash Image GUI to try and root this thing internally or am I just hosed/hard bricked stuck on stock?

Last edited:

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Never achieved SU to begin with so I cant flash it. the app FCs without Su permission. I'll try updating adb.

Question: If I never managed to achieve anything beyond Unlocking the bootloader, wouldn't a Factory Reset from the boot loader menu fix any partition discrepancies anyway and allow the PC to recognize the device again? I guess thats what I cant understand. What would go so wrong if I never flashed anything, not intended for Sprint HTC One Max's that would suddenly cause the PC not to recognize the Fastboot USB?

UPDATE1/25:

Updated everything in adb for 4.3 and 4.4 and 4.2.2 and the toolkits. Still nothing. I think I have determined the root cause may be a bad copy of TWRP that results in a QHSUSB_DLOAD issue like from the Evo 3D days. Unfortunately however, since the One Max is a relatively new device, there has been no "ultimate recovery tools" established to fix this type of error. So now, lol... wait for it. Now I have an "Unlocked", unrooted, S-ON, Stock HTC One Max(sprint) and stock recovery whos partitions I can only imagine are ok yet the computer refuses to recognize on fastboot.

That said, does anybody know, since I can apparently boot Android, and the phone itself works just fine, if there are any market apps which would support flashing from inside the phone, like Flash Image GUI to try and root this thing internally or am I just hosed/hard bricked stuck on stock?

Ok, Update 2! Managed to get into the Stock recovery console and wipe the cache partitions, but it seems even that did not fix the issue.(The phone had never been rooted or had a custom recovery flashed and got stuck on S-On, Unlocked, no recognition from Fastboot USB on the PC) So since I can apparently get here, can I flash a CWM or TWRP image from here(stock recovery->apply update from SD card or internal storage)? or is that only for flashing a whole ROM?

Thanks!! :)

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Ok, Update 2! Managed to get into the Stock recovery console and wipe the cache partitions, but it seems even that did not fix the issue.(The phone had never been rooted or had a custom recovery flashed and got stuck on S-On, Unlocked, no recognition from Fastboot USB on the PC) So since I can apparently get here, can I flash a CWM or TWRP image from here(stock recovery->apply update from SD card or internal storage)? or is that only for flashing a whole ROM?

Thanks!! :)

Ok, UPDATE 3, back at work trying a different computer... Turns out it wasnt as bad as I thought at all. Its a driver issue on my personal computer.(work computer recognizes the Max on Fastboot Usb, still didnt list it on devices yet but I'm not worried about that right now.) Oh well... so since I know this is an isolated incident, any recommendations for driver cleaner, like Drive Cleaner CC? Or what would be the best method short of wiping my laptop to a fresh copy of Win 7, that I could use to make sure I am removing all failing instances of HTC Drivers from my machine. Like I said it picks up and installs my HTC One (m7) fine, but the One Max, nadda. So I need to correct the driver issue on my end ultimately to reduce further issues. :silly: Sorry to keep posting to myself but hopefully someone else will benefit from reading what happened to me.

Skyymiles

Dec 13, 2012
Houston
Screenshot_2014-01-27-21-43-46.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Profit! :) Thanks to those who helped!!! Your comments were appreciated, mods can lock this thread as solved.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Done. Trying to figure out how to get twrp without fastboot... or how to get the laptop to recognize the device now.

Congrats! you seemed to have a long time fighting with the device.
    Good deal. Sorry if we werent more help. Seemed like you are pretty knowledgeable and would make your way through it. :)