ChevronWP7 shuts down, handsets to be re-locked in 120 days

Search This thread

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
What the hell man, this is just crazy what is Microsoft thinking? This will only drive more people away from the platform and will keep phone sales at the rate they are now or lower. Who in the world wants to pay $99 a year just to be able to customize a phone? I personally do currently pay the $99 but will stop soon this is just a death sentence for Windows phone, really someone over at MS gets fired over this.

Reactions: doministry

lovenokia

Sep 1, 2011
do you realize that most people would not care about these stuff, and we only nerds that like to hack our phones will matter. Maybe microsoft has something better in store? possibly in apollo we will get sideloading capabilities and other power user functions.

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
do you realize that most people would not care about these stuff, and we only nerds that like to hack our phones will matter. Maybe microsoft has something better in store? possibly in apollo we will get sideloading capabilities and other power user functions.

I sure hope you are right my friend. Maybe Apollo won't have all this Apple style locked down crap.

quicoli

Mar 21, 2012
what it means, in practice?

In practice, what this means for me?
I've a Samsung WP unlocked by Chevron. So, I've installed Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps... this means that after the 120 days, theses apps won't work in my phone?

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
So basically MS and the Chevron team just ripped off everyone that went and bought a token? I thought the token was forever, was there ever any metntion that it would expire in the future? if not this sounds like a scam, well for those who paid. I see a law suit.

prohibido_por_la_ley

Nov 21, 2011
Chicago
What the hell man, this is just crazy what is Microsoft thinking? This will only drive more people away from the platform and will keep phone sales at the rate they are now or lower. Who in the world wants to pay $99 a year just to be able to customize a phone? I personally do currently pay the $99 but will stop soon this is just a death sentence for Windows phone, really someone over at MS gets fired over this.

seen the latest articles about lumia sales lately? I'll assume not since you insisted on posting this.

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Side loaded apps

Like most people, I just want to know if apps already side loaded will continue to work after the tokens are revoked? If they do work, it may be possible to keep it unlocked through a Registry Editor, Root Tools etc.

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
So basically MS and the Chevron team just ripped off everyone that went and bought a token? I thought the token was forever, was there ever any metntion that it would expire in the future? if not this sounds like a scam, well for those who paid. I see a law suit.

I don't see any law suits as Microsoft as offered to refund $99 and swap Chevron unlock for App Hub Developer unlock.

However, interesting thing would be how many $9 unlocks are from non-supported countries!?
Surely out of 10,000 there are at least 100 people who paid $9 and don't have access to App Hub - those can go for a law suit unless Microsoft is going to make up for it in any other fashion in a separate announcement.

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Yeah, I'm pissed that I was only renting the unlocker....this was definitely a hose job....these dudes are re-locking already paid for phones.

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
MSFT is giving away free APP HUB accounts for these users. Is no one else reading it?

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
I've a Samsung WP unlocked by Chevron. So, I've installed Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps... this means that after the 120 days, theses apps won't work in my phone?

You're one of the people who make me disgusted at this community. Nokia apps (and other OEM apps) are device specific. You need to buy those devices to get those apps, as those apps on other devices is called stealing. Yet, this entire community insists they are entitled to things they have never paid for... Most of you don't want these accounts to "develop" or contribute, you want these accounts to sideload apps you have no way of paying for/getting.

Reactions: drupad2drupad

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
You're one of the people who make me disgusted at this community. Nokia apps (and other OEM apps) are device specific. You need to buy those devices to get those apps, as those apps on other devices is called stealing. Yet, this entire community insists they are entitled to things they have never paid for... Most of you don't want these accounts to "develop" or contribute, you want these accounts to sideload apps you have no way of paying for/getting.

My point! Thanks!! Hence $9 for whatever time it was unlocked for + a year of sideloading stuff (not developing anything) - more than enough!

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
I don't mind the side loading. I mind the people coming in here to ***** about not having any way to load stolen software into their phone... Its just pathetic. I would understand if you're developing your ass off, but you're stealing... C'mon...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reactions: sitizenx
G

GuestK00161

I could be wrong, but didn't Nokia release these apps in the earlier versions for other non-Nokia devices? Of course (now) Nokia is claiming that their updated apps will be only for Nokia devices. Not condoning piracy here, but I don't see a problem with side loading device specific apps on other Windows Phones. These apps are free to the the users anyway right? -Well most of them... As we all know, each manufacturer has its own collection of apps for their devices. -And we can all agree there are apps that are better than others in each manufacturer app store. If the apps are free, I find it a little ridiculous to say that Windows Phone users would have to go and buy a certain WP just to be able to use a device for a specific free app on their phone. -Now if each manufacturer released their apps to EVERY WP device with the apps being free for that specific device and had a paid version for non-specific devices, my argument would be irrelevant here. -But we know this is not the case.

Anyway, yes I do agree somewhat that some users want their phones dev unlocked just to sideload apps that they themselves didn't develop or buy, but I have to say that I believe some/most members here on XDA contribute to some form or fashion to the development/modding/hacking phone world. I myself became a Windows Mobile/Phone developer because I was amazed at what I could do with my phone when I first started getting into flashing roms for Windows Mobile. I kept on coming back to this forum to see what I could do next with my phone. I finally realized that I couldn't wait for the next thing to come out for my phone, so I started learning the development side of the phone. As the years kept rolling on, I became very familiar with the development process and even made quite a bit of money on my apps. -So the point is, calling people out on wanting the dev unlocks just to sideload restricted apps on their phones is sort of unfair. You and I do not know the motives of the other users on this forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know some people are upset about the Chevron deal, and likewise I know others feel the Chevron team are unjustly being blamed for it, but, there's still no excuse for attacking others who are just voicing their opinions and venting.

If you don't agree with someone please either reply like a normal person or just move on to something else.

I don't mind the side loading. I mind the people coming in here to ***** about not having any way to load stolen software into their phone... Its just pathetic. I would understand if you're developing your ass off, but you're stealing... C'mon...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Sideloaded Apps?

Like most people here, I wanted the token to be able to sideload apps and customize my Focus. I have sideloaded dozens of homebrew apps and contributed to many of their developers. I have no "pirated" apps on my Focus and would not. My issue with what is happening now is the following:

1. Many token purchasers will be from regions not supported by the App Hub program;

2. The idea that revoking the token will lock us out of homebrew and sideloaded apps that we may have paid for through contributions, is fundamentally unethical and, IMHO, illegal. These are xaps that we sideloaded or downloaded (if you installed xaphandler, through IE or email attachments) legally, many paid for, and are on our phones legitimately. No one has the right to block these xaps from future use, no one.

3. The "solution is not a solution at all for some, and requires us "lending" MS $99. Many of us are unemployed and that $99 is just not practical.

If the revocation of the tokens causes any apps on our devices to cease to function, I urge everyone impacted to consider a class action suit against MS and Chevron Labs. No one has the right to preclude you from using legitimately obtained products for your devices.