Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?

Search This thread
I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

I installed and played Path of Exile as well. Needed a little bit more tweaking of the graphics settings, but over all did REALLY well.

Now, the mouse/touch issue. It has to do with Scaling. By default, the scaling is set to 150%, you need to set it to 100%. Having it at 100% will fix your gaming issues, but will make the desktop ALMOST unusable because of the size of the text. 1920x1080 on that small of a screen, text tends to be VERY small.

So, best thing to do if you want to game and have issues where you need to adjust the scaling, be prepared to tweak it.

To tweak the Scaling:

In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply.

Reactions: xWolf13

xWolf13

Jul 6, 2012
I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

I installed and played Path of Exile as well. Needed a little bit more tweaking of the graphics settings, but over all did REALLY well.

Now, the mouse/touch issue. It has to do with Scaling. By default, the scaling is set to 150%, you need to set it to 100%. Having it at 100% will fix your gaming issues, but will make the desktop ALMOST unusable because of the size of the text. 1920x1080 on that small of a screen, text tends to be VERY small.

So, best thing to do if you want to game and have issues where you need to adjust the scaling, be prepared to tweak it.

To tweak the Scaling:

In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply.

Have downloaded steam and played Far Cry 3 and Team Fortress 2. Its really smooth! Downside is that it takes a lot of memory ): I'm using a type cover since touch cover is a little bit hard to get used too. I recommend getting a external drive for those big games.

Sent from my CM10 Blaze

Reactions: minhtuan99bk

xartic12

Aug 21, 2012
I downloaded Warcraft 3 and skyrim.. WC runs everything on max and 1080 with no problem. Skyrim runs at 768p everything turned down fairly well, would say 40 fps+.

As for old times sake I'm going to install anarchy online within the next day or so, which won't tax the system at all.

Btw I scored 7288 on geek bench!

Reactions: reggiexp

kiddomarc

Aug 13, 2005
world of warcraft, diablo 3, path of exile, starcraft 2 and eve online running no problem but ofcourse i have to remove one of each coz they wont fit

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Has anyone recorded and frame rates for minecraft at various settings? Would certainly trump the iOS and android guys with their little pocket edition.

As for no storage. MicroSD or an external hard drive.

Kraize

Dec 5, 2007
California
Too bad it gets really hot sometimes :S

I have the following running: League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2.
I hated the scaling, so I am sitting at 100% scaling and I don't mind the small icons and whatnot, but almost every app (not metro) has ability to zoom so np for me there.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Anyone try Halo?

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

I would imagine halo combat evolved would be absolutely fine. Someone reported that both skyrim and CoD black ops 2 also run if you play with the settings. Based on that they both require much more powerful hardware than halo 2 I would imagine that halo 2 is also fine.

qhdevon43

Mar 30, 2010
hey guys, I just got the Pro, and have downloaded the Original Farcry, Left 4 dead 2 and just now installing bioshock... the original farcry and L4D2 plays GREAT!! even with some at max settings! I bought a 64GB Micro SD card and have installed Steam on there which allows me to install about 5-6 more games. I'm so excited! Oh yea, if u wanna know how to install steam on a micro SD card, you gotta follow the tutorial from the link below ;)

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

abatis

Nov 28, 2004
I have Halo Combat Evolved running although the game gave the warning that the system was not up to spec. But it plays fine. I am having trouble with COD World at War. I guess I need to tweak some more.

beestee

Dec 24, 2008
I have Portal 2, CS:GO, Arma2/DayZ, Civ 5, Uplink, SpaceChem, Minecraft and FF7 installed. All work, most work very well, but Arma2 has some issues with resolution.

abatis

Nov 28, 2004
I have Call of Duty World at War working. The problem was my sound setting. I saw this over at Steam:

-control panel
-sound device manager
-highlight "speakers"
-click "properties"
-On the "advanced" tab set "24 bit, 44100 Hz"

COD would quit on the load. The above change fixed it. Wow the small things make a difference some times.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
how about freelancer? i'm pretty sure that'll work great. i just gotta make an iso... i wonder if i'd need a no-cd patch. that's the worst part of playing some old games is that they required a cd for protection. guess i could whoop out old daemon tools.

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I got StarCraft, StarCraft II, Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo III all working. StarCraft and Diablo don't play nice with the PEN and needed some registry tweaking to get the colors right but otherwise work fine.

JPSavard

Feb 19, 2012
- Serious Sam 3: BFE in a mix of Low/Medium settings, was pretty smooth.
- Left 4 Dead 2, low settings, was playable
- Diablo III, smooth

All with external mouse and keyboard.

---
| betanext - http://www.betanext.com
| Technology News - For peoples who loves technologies from deep inside of their body kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't bother with changing the desktop scaling to 100% if you don't want to. Just right click on the shortcut, go to compatibility, and check "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" for each game that you need 100% scaling for.

To tweak the Scaling:

To tweak the Scaling:

Have downloaded steam and played Far Cry 3 and Team Fortress 2. Its really smooth! Downside is that it takes a lot of memory ): I'm using a type cover since touch cover is a little bit hard to get used too. I recommend getting a external drive for those big games.

Sent from my CM10 Blaze
    I downloaded Warcraft 3 and skyrim.. WC runs everything on max and 1080 with no problem. Skyrim runs at 768p everything turned down fairly well, would say 40 fps+.

As for old times sake I'm going to install anarchy online within the next day or so, which won't tax the system at all.

Btw I scored 7288 on geek bench!
    Anyone try Halo?

Sent from my EVO using xda premium