[Q] Please Recommend a Stable ROM for a New Guy

Search This thread

Over the Air

Jan 4, 2013
Hi, :)

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a year and have just been running stock Android. I would like to try installing a custom ROM on my phone.

I am planning on using Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit program to unlock and root my phone.

Now, to my question. There are so many ROM's available that I feel overwhelmed when trying to choose which one to use. My only requirements in a ROM is that it has to be stable and give good battery life. Can someone recommend a good one for me to try?

Thank you!

Godra

Jan 11, 2011
Mostar
Its hard to anwer it because everyone has its preference since every device acts differently with certain ROM. For example, I use OmniMetal and Im pretty satisfied how it works. You should try few ROMs and find which one suits you best. Read some topics, decide which options you need, and which you dont, which Android version you prefer... Maybe you should start with some standard ROMs such as CM, AOKP, AOSPA...

As I alread said, its question that is hard to answer, and its also disrespectful to every dev since they are all doing it for free :D

Reactions: mrgnex

siddardha21

Sep 4, 2011
Kakinada

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a year and have just been running stock Android. I would like to try installing a custom ROM on my phone.

I am planning on using Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit program to unlock and root my phone.

Now, to my question. There are so many ROM's available that I feel overwhelmed when trying to choose which one to use. My only requirements in a ROM is that it has to be stable and give good battery life. Can someone recommend a good one for me to try?

Thank you!

I'm a guy like you who don't want the hassle of updating the rom every week or so. I moved to cm11 from stock 4.3 rom. But flashing a new nightly every other day to be up to date is not my thing. I do follow forums regularly but don't not a flash-a-holic. I know cm11 is very stable and i can stay on a milestone release. But knowing that an update is a available is available makes my hands itchy to flash it. Suddenly shiny rom 4.4 appeared on our threads. It's close to stock. Just like how stock 4.3. Been running shiny from a month. No issues as of now. Paired shiny rom 4.4 with dirtyv and my phone is smooth.
If you are looking for a stable rom like stock 4.3. I'd recommend you shiny rom.
If you want a fully optimised featured rom, go with cm, omni, liquid smooth, vanirs, pa etc. Let me tell you. Every 4.4 rom out there is smooth and stable. But flashing roms every week to be on latest is not my thing. So i settled with shiny 4.4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Over the Air

isajoo

Oct 17, 2012
Once you decide on which ROM to run I highly recommend installing gravitybox using Xposed Installer, which will give you just about every customization/feature/option that's available on most custom ROM builds.

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
Seriously almost evrry rom is stable. I cant think of one that isnt..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

fux0r99

Jul 28, 2013
If you want stable kitkat on your gnex just flash latest cm 11 nightlie otherwise just use stock jb 4.3 with xposed installer an gravity box module for extra customization.Forget about every other custom rom because cm is the godfather of roms an usually way ahead in development.

Last edited:

GnexusLexus

Feb 8, 2014
If you want stable kitkat on your gnex just flash latest cm 11 nightlie otherwise just use stock jb 4.3 with xposed installer an gravity box module for extra customization.Forget about every other custom rom because cm is the godfather of roms an usually way ahead in development.

Can't say anything against that, only custom rom I've tried and I see no reason to change it. The nightlies get updated OTA wich is smooth as silk.

rauldom333

Jul 29, 2013
Like others have said, if you are looking for a ROM with a few more customization features than stock, CM11 nightlies are pretty stable. I'd recommend starting with that and see how your device responds. I had been on the omni based ROMs for a while but I just tried the new Paranoid Android Beta 6 ROM by sd3993 and it is running so smooth. Almost all other ROMs I tried had slight issues like the music stuttering when I turned on/off my screen, which I haven't seen on this ROM. I have yet to see how battery life fares, but it is performing spectacularly in terms of smoothness. Once you have found a ROM that is to your liking, then maybe research flashing some kernels and start unlocking some true power on your device. Good luck in your search!

Over the Air

Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for all the replies! :) :good:

I'll go ahead and add Slimkat and CM 11 to my list to try.

isajoo said:
Once you decide on which ROM to run I highly recommend installing gravitybox using Xposed Installer, which will give you just about every customization/feature/option that's available on most custom ROM builds.

fux0r99 said:
If you want stable kitkat on your gnex just flash latest cm 11 nightlie otherwise just use stock jb 4.3 with xposed installer an gravity box module for extra customization.

This is the first time I've heard of gravitybox and Xposed installer. Has anybody a got a link to a good walkthrough?

rauldom333 said:
Once you have found a ROM that is to your liking, then maybe research flashing some kernels and start unlocking some true power on your device.

Thank you, I will read up on flashing kernels.

navilink

Sep 13, 2012
gravitybox doesn't have custom animations right? i quite like that in OmniROM..

atseona

Aug 4, 2012
I'd recommend CyanFox. Its stable, good amount of customizations and feels quite snappy on my nexus. Also, gapps are integrated...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kl09

Feb 27, 2014
I'm using omnimetal rom. It's smooth and have a special feature--multi-window. The rom is also stable, no reboot or any serious problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its hard to anwer it because everyone has its preference since every device acts differently with certain ROM. For example, I use OmniMetal and Im pretty satisfied how it works. You should try few ROMs and find which one suits you best. Read some topics, decide which options you need, and which you dont, which Android version you prefer... Maybe you should start with some standard ROMs such as CM, AOKP, AOSPA...

As I alread said, its question that is hard to answer, and its also disrespectful to every dev since they are all doing it for free :D

Thank you!

I'm a guy like you who don't want the hassle of updating the rom every week or so. I moved to cm11 from stock 4.3 rom. But flashing a new nightly every other day to be up to date is not my thing. I do follow forums regularly but don't not a flash-a-holic. I know cm11 is very stable and i can stay on a milestone release. But knowing that an update is a available is available makes my hands itchy to flash it. Suddenly shiny rom 4.4 appeared on our threads. It's close to stock. Just like how stock 4.3. Been running shiny from a month. No issues as of now. Paired shiny rom 4.4 with dirtyv and my phone is smooth.
    If you are looking for a stable rom like stock 4.3. I'd recommend you shiny rom.
    If you want a fully optimised featured rom, go with cm, omni, liquid smooth, vanirs, pa etc. Let me tell you. Every 4.4 rom out there is smooth and stable. But flashing roms every week to be on latest is not my thing. So i settled with shiny 4.4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app