samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 gt-p3113 root

Search This thread

chrisrotolo

Nov 3, 2010
Corona, CA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I told them it said something about an update and when I clicked it I lost power when I powered it back on it kept looping. So lets get craking on this

tell them you hooked it up to itunes to sync your music and BAM sudden brick!

seriously, wish you guys the best GT-P6200(Tab Plus) user here waiting for some ICS.

you'll be fine. you're in the right place.

Phone_Junkie

Jul 21, 2010
Chicago Area
I want to change the LCD density! I like the icons, etc a little bigger. Right now the Tab 2 is reminding me of the HTC Flyer, which I did not care for too much.

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
I'm seriously wanting to buy this, but no root is making me think twice about it.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Has anyone tried that ZergRush root thing?

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Hey guys add me to the wanting root list. I returned my Kindle Fire and grabbed this awesome tablet fro Best Buy. Give it time and this will have its own forum with root, recoveries, etc. Its an awesome Samsung tablet with ICS for only $50 over the Fire. Im sure it will be very popular. Ill contribute anyway I can.

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm seriously wanting to buy this, but no root is making me think twice about it.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Has anyone tried that ZergRush root thing?[/QUO

According to what I read after seeing your post zergrush is incompatible with ICS.....I could be one hundred percent wrong though.

I am curious about one more thing now, where do I find devs? I realize there are plenty if them roaming the wilds of XDA. Do I need to get like poke balls to capture one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010

Has anyone tried that ZergRush root thing?[/QUO

According to what I read after seeing your post zergrush is incompatible with ICS.....I could be one hundred percent wrong though.

I am curious about one more thing now, where do I find devs? I realize there are plenty if them roaming the wilds of XDA. Do I need to get like poke balls to capture one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Either they have to buy the tablet or you have to buy them one.

xoomdev

Apr 27, 2012
I have been working on this for a bit. mempodroid is indeed patched in this device. zergrush and other exploits will not work on ics either. Looking at other things as far as odin is concerned since that would be open and really the way this is going to have to be done as far as I know. I have someone putting together something to try soonish, ill update if I find anything obviously.

Liking the device so far much. Will love it when I can get some AOSP on it.

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
I have been working on this for a bit. mempodroid is indeed patched in this device. zergrush and other exploits will not work on ics either. Looking at other things as far as odin is concerned since that would be open and really the way this is going to have to be done as far as I know. I have someone putting together something to try soonish, ill update if I find anything obviously.

Liking the device so far much. Will love it when I can get some AOSP on it.

The only method I can think of is to CF-Root it. We would have to have someone with kernel level development skills to do that though. We simply flash a rooted kernel in ODIN and reboot, we could also include busybox and CWM if someone built it. I'm in the process of looking into how CF-Root works and hoping I can attempt to get that ball rolling.

Edit: A system dump of our system has helped Galaxy Note owners have a Tablet Mode ROM on their device. I sent that developer a message and am awaiting any good/bad news I get.

Edit2: This is what he told me, but I am no developer. Hopefully this helps someone to get us a little further along.

DAGr8 said:
the easiest way I can think of is to dump the image to your phone (and I mean a real img file ) then mount it in linux , and drop the su binaries in it that will work everytime . I am not sure how to ' dd ' the system img from your phone but it s doable via adb , you need the correct block for system then you can do what was posted by DA_G in one of his thread by changing the block ( i717 section)

Edit99: Over on another forum that begins with Rootz, they have made a Tab 2 section. I made a thread in it and it looks like xoomdev has bought one of the Tab 2's. It is nice to see well known developers getting the same tablet.

Last edited:

tjsdev

Jun 5, 2010
Panama City
Removing bloat and and the ability to create backups would be awesome. What would make this tablet really shine would be a true AOSP rom. I doubt it will be long with this awesome community.

K

knucklesmckay

Oh jeez now I gotta go back to rootz again lol....xda start a section already :)

volt255

Apr 27, 2012
Monterrey
I try to root my Galaxy Tab 2, but..

SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse... doesn't work
zergRush, stops at step 7
psneuter, stops at step 5

Easy rooting toolkit (v2.0) created by DooMLoRD doesn't work either

I Also tried manual rooting, sending commands throught ADB (Android SDK tools) when i try to use exploit zergRush, I get this message "Not a 2.2/2.3 Android", that's because galaxy tab 2 has ICS 4.0.3, Does anyone know about a working exploit with Android 4 ICS ???

Because when I try to mount the system folder with this command "busybox mount -o remount,rw /system" I get this error... "busybox[1]: syntax error: '^Ap$]4h$\^Z^B^E4' unexpected"

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
I try to root my Galaxy Tab 2, but..

SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse... doesn't work
zergRush, stops at step 7
psneuter, stops at step 5

Easy rooting toolkit (v2.0) created by DooMLoRD doesn't work either

I Also tried manual rooting, sending commands throught ADB (Android SDK tools) when i try to use exploit zergRush, I get this message "Not a 2.2/2.3 Android", that's because galaxy tab 2 has ICS 4.0.3, Does anyone know about a working exploit with Android 4 ICS ???

Because when I try to mount the system folder with this command "busybox mount -o remount,rw /system" I get this error... "busybox[1]: syntax error: '^Ap$]4h$\^Z^B^E4' unexpected"

I think the only method is to use odin to flash either a system.img that is rooted or flash a rooted kernel.

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
+1 on this. I received mine yesterday and started any known exploit with no success. If any dev needs me to test something let me know!!! We need this thing rooted yesterday and custom roms tomorrow!!!

We also need a separate forum on xda. Just saying.

BTW, Diablo - awesome idea for the head unit. I'm interested to see how it works out!

Hey, just FYI, I started a Worklog of my CarTab project over on MP3Car Forums - the link is in my Signature :D

Oh and I just received confirmation that my Galaxy Tab 2 is at my house waiting for me to get out of work!!! I can't wait to get home and open it up and play with it!!

We def. need our own forum for this thing. But that aside if any one can get any dev interested in this, I can provide any files from the device that they may need. I have an IT background with Linux experience (unfortunately I've never looked into how to go about reverse engineering Android to root it - but maybe this is my chance...)

Reactions: feralicious

volt255

Apr 27, 2012
Monterrey
I think the only method is to use odin to flash either a system.img that is rooted or flash a rooted kernel.

I think Samsung will not release the kernel sources for the GT-P3113 soon, I hope that we find a new exploit, like zergRush for ICS, soon. Or maybe a custom ROM, like CyanogenMod, but they only support previous version of the galaxy tab.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re-Re-Written Instructions

I have re-written Ayenn13's instructions, which he re-wrote from machx0r.

Give them the credit for the origin of these, I just made them easier to understand (and a little more accurate :D).

I also attached the files you need to this post, just in case the links stop working :p. (You just have to unzip them using 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip, both attachments include the SAME files, I added both .zip and .7z as some people prefer one over the other.)

Instructions for installing Clockwork Recovery and Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"

1. Download recovery.tar.md5.

2. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your ext SDCard ("Card" in Windows Explorer).

3. Download Odin for windows.

4. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

5. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode.

• Navigate through Menu>Settings>Developer Options and check the “USB debugging” option.

6. Reboot your tablet into download mode. By either one of these options: (*NOTE: Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable if you will be rebooting your device through ADB!)

• Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button. Volume up to confirm download mode.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a command prompt.

7. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it, it will be in your user downloads folder).

8. Hit start, when completed your tablet will reboot.

9. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. By either one of these options:

• Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button. When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a command prompt.

10. In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select.

11. Select "choose zip from sdcard".

12. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only option if you have not used any other root methods).

13. Wait for the install to complete, shouldn't take long.

14. Select "go back" from the menu at the top, back out two menus then select the reboot device option.

15. Your device will restart. On the first restart you will see it "Update Android".

16. ??????????

17. Profit!
    I have rewritten the instructions for the novice rooter (which is what I am given I have only been around the superuser world for tow months). machx0r forgot a few important steps for us novices. :confused:

I would like to thank machx0r for giving the directions they have. Without them I would not have figured the rest out! :)

Here are the desecrate and explicate instructions for this process...

1. Get a copy of Mobile Odin and install it (it is on Google Play).

2. Get a copy of ClockworkMod and install it (it is on Google Play).

3.Download recovery.tar.md5.

4. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your extSdCard (Card in Windows Explorer)

5. Download Odin for windows.

6. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

7. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode

a. To do so navigate through Menu>Settings>Applications>Development
    Options and check the “USB debugging” option.​

8. Reboot your tablet into download mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button.
    Volume up to confirm download mode.​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a
    command prompt​

9. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it will be in your user downloads folder).

10. Hit start and your tablet will reboot.

11. Unplug the USB connection.

12. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button.
    When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a
    command prompt​

13.In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select

14. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

15. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only opition if you have not used any other root methods).

16. Select go back from the menu at the top through two menus then select the restart device option.

17. Your device will restart. In the process it will update android.

18. Profit!​
    Please share with the rest of the class :p Did you just change density and then install or something more to it?

Ok class, listen up. j/K ;). I initially tried to use the swype apk from my 7.7. It installed, but forced closed over and over. So I thought about it, and figured out another idea, that I was almost positive wasnt going to work. But it did.

I used the swype apk that I had from an install on my kindle fire. I used these instructions here to get it installed onto my Fire. I ended up returning the Fire to buy the gtab 2, but I had backups of it. And it was as simple as installing that apk.

Now Ive read that swype really frowns on people posting modified swype apk's. But this one is not modified in anyway other than it was used on a device that wasnt suppose to work but did. So I hope this wont cause any issues, and if it does feel free to delete the file. Anyway here it is. Hope it works as easy for others as it did for me.
    here it is

since we have no forum yet (um come on mods get to it!) I can't post a shiny new thready for my very first real dev, ROOT FOR YOUR GALAXY TAB 2 7.0!!

so I'll put it in this post, and I'll mention I posted this on rootzwiki first, we have our very own forum there... (XDA I love ya, and I know you will get there hehe)

** Edit ***
    I just attached the files as well as mediafire, rename the txt file to pit (xda won't accept the file as is..

I have gained root through using a modified boot.img from the gt-p3110 leak posted a few weeks ago, took me all day but here it is.

Note I haven't only tested this on my device, its 2am est and all my testers are asleep (that being termitech lol)..

Standard YMMV
    So big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

The method will have you using hemidall/heimdall-frontend there is a way to put this all into an odin package but I'm too exhausted to do so (for now).. Also I will not re-hash how to install or use heimdall.. you can look that up on your own

Get it here:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Process
    Once that is installed do the following:
    • reboot tablet into download mode
    • adb reboot download

• launch heimdall-frontend
    • go to flash tab
    • load attached pit file (gt-p3110.pit)
    • Then from partion details choose "KERNEL", click "Add"
    • then choose "Browse" and select the attached boot-bjr.img
    • choose "Start"

after the tablet reboots:

Code:
    adb shell
    ./su
    ./gtab2-root.sh

Congratulations you are now rooted!

I'm going to try and stay up a bit longer and monitor this (and the xda thread) please let me know immediately of success or failure, I will pull the files if failure.. Issues with heimdall aside, I want reports back on if things work.. They work for me.. and I tested a fresh factory img just a few minutes ago.. pretty sure we are good!

gt-p3110.pit

boot-bjr.img
    Ive made some progress..

I'm able to make and flash new boot.img's and change files in the initramfs, having a bit of trouble getting adb to come up insecure.. any other devs out there want to chime in?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I can push busybox and change its permissions to data/local.. thats something.. :)

adb push busybox /data/local/ && adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/busybox

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I have root! (in recovery)

now to make it pretty so you guys can try it!