[WIDGET]8-Bit Heart Container Battery Meter Widget - UPDATED TO v2.04!

Search This thread

stretchwookie

Love it! But would it be possible to get a version with the percentage text in white as opposed to black? :-D

PS. Found the Easter egg :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

i agree. i use pwall to change my wallpapers once per hour, and i often get black/dark backgrounds. since my phone is RARELY 100% battery, it looks odd with just parts of heart there. with a white outline option (maybe embedded into a simple button in the settings menu?) i would at least be able to see the emtpy hearts lol.

Easter Egg is Awesome. Thanks again! :D

notasimpleway

Dec 22, 2009
Rome, Georgia
www.kencaruthers.com
i agree. i use pwall to change my wallpapers once per hour, and i often get black/dark backgrounds. since my phone is RARELY 100% battery, it looks odd with just parts of heart there. with a white outline option (maybe embedded into a simple button in the settings menu?) i would at least be able to see the emtpy hearts lol.

Easter Egg is Awesome. Thanks again! :D

I am working on a white/black bordered preference now. :D

zeekiz

May 9, 2011
Western Australia
I am working on a white/black bordered preference now. :D

Thank you good sir! Looking forward to the update :). Just bought the application, so you can at least see you have some support ^_^. 5 stars :p.

Also consider this a bump ;-).

Also pressing on the bluetooth button takes you to the wireless and network settings on ICS, which in this submenu it doesn't have the option to adjust bluetooth ;-).

Last edited:

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Like it! The menu isn't very cute (not as cute as the hearts) but works great. The easter egg is easy to find too.

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I love this little widget! It's funny how something so simple can make you so happy.

This widget finally inspired me to change up my phone after having the same "theme" or interface for a year.

I used to have an X-Com inspired interface:

snap20101208_192411.png

But now I've finally moved on to a Link to the Past theme!

2012-01-26_00-19-01.jpg

Hooray for 2012!

notasimpleway

Dec 22, 2009
Rome, Georgia
www.kencaruthers.com
Thank you good sir! Looking forward to the update :). Just bought the application, so you can at least see you have some support ^_^. 5 stars :p.

Also consider this a bump ;-).

Also pressing on the bluetooth button takes you to the wireless and network settings on ICS, which in this submenu it doesn't have the option to adjust bluetooth ;-).

You're awesome! Thanks! As for the bluetooth, I know about this and will have it corrected soon, but thanks for reminding me. :D

Lol my wife loves this. Zelda memories!

Sent from my SGSII using the XDA App

I just found out my 9-year-old son's favorite game is The Legend of Zelda. I think I shed a tear from joy...considering I have a special spot for the game. We've been playing through the original this week. Talk about father/son bonding...of the nerd kind.

Can't find the easter egg :-(. Would like white text as I use a dark background. Otherwise Awesome!

Sent from my SGSII using the XDA App

My next update will have the option to make the text black, white, or not there. It will also have the option to make the hearts black or white bordered. I'm hoping to get the update out within a few days. As for the Easter egg, look in the menu. ;)

Like it! The menu isn't very cute (not as cute as the hearts) but works great. The easter egg is easy to find too.

Thank you! Seriously! :D I plan on tweaking the menu to make it a little bit better. I'm just trying to think of a way to keep it simple, useful, and not cluttered.

I love this little widget! It's funny how something so simple can make you so happy.

This widget finally inspired me to change up my phone after having the same "theme" or interface for a year.

But now I've finally moved on to a Link to the Past theme!

2012-01-26_00-19-01.jpg

Awesome homescreen layout!!! Where did you get that wallpaper? I want it. ;)

Thanks for the awesome feedback, everyone. Made my day to see all this. Even the things you all don't like or would like to see improved with this app. You can't get better at something if no one tells you what's wrong first. It's nice to see people enjoy things I've worked hard on.

I've been thinking about adding a "low life" sound/beep once the battery gets low around say 15%. The sound would be similar to when Link has low life. It wouldn't be a constant beep like in the game, but may 2 or 3 short little beeps. Good or bad idea?

Last edited:

Gahh Its Lee

Oct 2, 2010
I like the beep idea. Make it toggable of course... That's not a word... should be though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

stretchwookie

It will most definitely be toggable. And since we both used toggable in a sentence, it has to be a word now. :p

i love the sound idea, but then wouldnt i get the zelda sound, AND the system battery low sound? maybe im too stupid to turn it off... lol... also, i REALLY hate bursting bubbles... i googled toggable hoping it didnt exist and we could make a new word... it totally does... just add an L... sorry... :eek:

HunnyBearLewis

Mar 21, 2011
Found the easter egg! :cool:

Everyone I've shown this widget to loved it by the way - will be buying this to support awesomeness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Feature_Graphic_XDA.jpg

Anyone want to help me test a new version of Heart Container?

I have completely revamped the images and how they are displayed.

Also, for you Jelly Bean 4.2 users, You can add Heart Container to your lock screen!! I am so excited about this feature. I have been waiting for it since I made Heart Container. It looks so awesome on my lock screen.

Post any problems you find here. Thanks!

-Ken

Original Post:

Hello all. I feel as if I should give back to the community that got me interested in Android. I was a newspaper photographer of 7+ years, but then Android came along and I was hooked. I left my photography career and went back to school to learn Java and get a degree in mobile application development. This is one of my first real attempts at an app. It's nothing fancy, but it's for us old school gamers. This app is a widget that just keeps track of the battery % in the form of 8-bit looking hearts that deplete as the battery discharges. If the hearts are tapped, a menu of shortcuts will open. There's also an animation while the phone charges. The text and borders of the hearts can now be changed. Oh and an Easter egg. Let me know if you find it. But don't spoil it for others. :p

If you like it, please buy it from the Play Store for 99 cents. But don't feel obligated at all! This is my gift to XDA! All I'm asking is to recommend it to non-XDA members(friends/family) to buy in the Play Store so I can try to make a career out of programming. I took a huge chance leaving an established career to do this and I hope it pays off. :D

Here's the Google Play link:
    Google Play link
    Version 2.04:

Choice of either 3 or 6 Hearts!
    New Lifebar-Style Battery Meter!
    Much needed UI update!
    Bug Fixes!
    Version 1.54
    Added White Text
    Add New Heart Style
    Reduced File Size
    Bug Fix

Heart Container will always be free to members of XDA. :D

I hope you all enjoy!

-Ken
    Coming soon.

I am almost finish with an update. This update will add:

1. an option to make the text color black, white, or red.
    2. an option to make the edges of the hearts either black or white.
    3. a low battery beep like when Link's life is low. This can be turned off or on.
    4. tweaked the heart images some.

I'll update the original post with the new version later today. But I've been up all night working so I'm gonna take a nap first. ;) So, keep posting and check back later today!

-Ken
    Love it!

Thanks for this awesome little widget. :)

You are very welcome.

Easter egg found ..w000t...nice app dude ...love it ...

Maybe I didn't make it hard enough to find. ;)

Hello,
    I like it,thx for it

You're welcome. Glad you like it. :)

Easter egg is great! The only thing I could ask for is to maybe be able to change the percent color to white black doesn't show up well on a lot of my usual wallpapers but otherwise great job!

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

I'm way ahead of you there. :) I made that an option on my first update due to a few others wanting that feature. See the first page on how to change it. And thank you. :D

you can. tap the widget, then tap your device's menu button. there you go, red too!

lol Thanks for explaining that! :)

Lmao effin awesome man! Thanks!!!!

I got your 10 char right here

Rocking Abso bacon...ics style

Thank you! And you are welcome. I'm glad other gamers like it.

Very Nice! Downloading now.

Tell your friends they can buy it in the Market! :) And thank you.

This is awesome. Gives the phone a sense of adventure, and the desire to defeat bosses so I can increase my battery capacity, heh heh. I can just hear the "beeping" heartbeat when one has a half a heart or less. Keep up the good work!

Have you seen the guys from Smosh.com do the Zelda music video? Be warned it is NSFW! But here is a link: Smosh Zelda Video NSFW

it would be cool if it was 5 hearts with each quarter piece of heart representing 5% increments, and as mentioned when theres 10% left which would be one half a heart it should beep. otherwise i love this app when we can add more hearts i will buy from android market...keep up the good work

At some point, I will add an option to make it more than 3 hearts. Like I've said before, this is a learning process for me as well. I don't have years of experience programming. I don't even have a year yet. I want to fix a few other problems before attempting that. And the beeping when it is low is coming. I will make it so you can turn it off and on. Not everyone will want that feature. So, most likely, it will be off by default. But it will be in my next update. But I don't have a ETA yet. I just found out I have to move, I'm behind in my school work, and I just got a new job. Talk about a lot to do. I'm overwhelmed. I hate moving. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. But don't worry, I will be working on this. However, good news, I hit 500 downloads today on the Market!

Thanks for all the positive feedback and constructive criticism!
    Hey guys. I am currently working on an update. I don't have an ETA. But this should be a big update. Which will take some time to complete. I am working on some user requested features and tweaks. I listen to users so feel free to suggest. And again, thanks for all the support!

-Ken
    Off topic. I am waiting for the owner of an apartment to show me one of her's. This will be my first apartment in which I live alone in(had roomies till now).... And I am going to pay my first month's rent with money I made off this app. :) You guys have no idea how awesome and great and wonderful that is. I just want to say thank you for all the support. So thank you times a million. I couldn't have done this without all of you at XDA.

Sent from my iPhone with the bigger GeeBees.