BT-338 version3.1.1 bluetooth gps firmware

Search This thread

Packrat

Jul 16, 2007
I have a BT338 bluetooth GPS adapter it will not get a lock on and I have been looking for a flash program for it to see if I can reflash it.
I followed a link from a site to this sites ftp server that used to have it but it looks like it has been taken down.
Does anyone know if flashing is possible and if so does anyone have a program to do so?

Thanks for any help.

whbell

Dec 22, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Packrat,

I have had a BT-338 for two years and I love it. I don't recall that I was ever able to find a method to upgrade the firmware. I will watch this thread in case some one has an answer.

On the other hand, I did have problems when I first got this unit. If I played with changing setting between WAAS/normal and/or Sirf/NMEA modes, sometimes this thing was not get a lock. To fix it I would use a laptop tool to reset the unit to factor setting. I think it was GPSInfo connecting via a BT dongle.

Let me know if this might help and I will look into the exact detail if you need it.

Packrat

Jul 16, 2007
Packrat,

I have had a BT-338 for two years and I love it. I don't recall that I was ever able to find a method to upgrade the firmware. I will watch this thread in case some one has an answer.

On the other hand, I did have problems when I first got this unit. If I played with changing setting between WAAS/normal and/or Sirf/NMEA modes, sometimes this thing was not get a lock. To fix it I would use a laptop tool to reset the unit to factor setting. I think it was GPSInfo connecting via a BT dongle.

Let me know if this might help and I will look into the exact detail if you need it.

Thanks for the reply, I tried to reset it to factory via the SirDemo program, but that didnt help. Hopefully I can find a way.

Antineutrino

Aug 7, 2007
Roma
Yes reflash is possible...
You can use SirfDemo and SirfFlash

The procedure is almost the one described here....

http://web.mac.com/tomtastic/site/log/Entries/2007/6/18_Holux_GPSlim236_boot_mode.html

You can download the needed tools here...

http://www.falcom.de/support/software-tools/sirf/

To flash
- First you have to connect your bt-338 using SirfDemo.
- In Action/ Transmit Serial Message select NMEA and send this message
'PSRF100,0,38400,8,1,0' without quotes. This will put the GPS in SIRF Mode.
- After that choose Action / Transmit Serial Message select SIRF this time and send '94' without quotes. This will put the GPS in boot Mode.
- Disconnect now SirfDemo using the button and start SirfFlash without powering down the GPS.
- Choose the correct port and 38400 Baud and - very important -select 'external boot mode'. Browse for the new firmware .bin file and select 'program flash'.
- Execute and enjoy.

Cheers!

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I have now (finally!) successfully read the firmware from my two BT338 and a TomTom Mk2 BT mouse. Also important to notice is the following:
- Address Range is 0x0 to 0x7ffff (4 times an "f") resulting in a 512kB bin file.
- Any other speed than 38400 will NOT work!

Did not dare yet to flash actually... I have now:

TomTom Mk-II
GSW3.0.2TomTom1.1_3.0.00.03-C3P1.02b

BT338 (NaviLock labled in Germany)
GSW3.0.2_3.0.00.03-C16P1.02a
GSW3.1.1LowV_3.1.00.07-C23B1.00

I know there must be newer one for BT338 as you can see from the FAQ at Globalsat USA at: http://www.usglobalsat.com/gpsfacts/bt338_gps_facts.html

The mention even different versions there (QA 38):
BT-338_GSW3V3.1.1LowV_F-GPS-03-0506222 and
BT-338_GSW3.1.1TO_F-GPS-03-0510032

I noticed that reading out the SW sometimes delivers different results after 7d008 when some time has passed. I suspect that some data is stored there which may vary over time (satelite positions, routes or whatever may be stored depending on the time).

bye
tobbbie
:)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I can report success now in upgrading my BT338 from the old (3.0.2) FW to the later one (3.1.1) I have retrieved from my other BT338.
Main gain for me is the availability of geoid correction for the height.

Anynone has a later firmware for the BT338 or the TomTom MK2?
You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

bye
tobbbie
:)

lop1

GSW3.0.2TomTom1.1_3.0.00.03-C3P1.02b

Hi tobbie,

have you managed to get some new firmwares , I am searching if there is a new one for the tomtom ( there is still some issues between the treo and the tomtom related to the bluetooth stack ). Is there a way to use the BT-338 or a part of the BT-338 firmware in the tomtom ?

thanks

Laurent :)

lop1

Thanks tobbie,

I have red the full thread, downloaded your dumps of the firmware, and dump my tomtom firmwarewith the sirf tools.
I have compared the dump from your tomtom and mine ( same version 302 ) and they are quite different beiginning in 6D008 :

your firmware :
6D008 : 06 3E 00 00 01 00 00 00 41 46 31 41 39 53 D8 19 ....
my dump :
6D008 : 20 C6 00 00 99 00 00 00 41 46 31 41 39 53 D8 19 ....

Is this part a variable part ( so may be a factory reset and a new dump will give a more comparable result ), or is there a real difference for two same version of the firmware ??

Can you tell me for upgrading the firmware of the tomtom have you used the full 3.11 firmware from 0 to 7FFFF or have you used a dump from 0 to 79999 ?

seeing the various problems some got after flashing their units I am a bit worried before flashing mine..

thanks

Laurent

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Just do a system reset of your device and dump it again.
Depending how fast you are getting it into bootmode you have some data there (and not all default empty data). Doing the same after some time (e.g. after a fix was established) will again deliver different data there.

I think the main thing here is that the WHOLE data are dumped and then later flashed to another device. This may also be the rootcause of the failure to use the 0-79999 dump - where after 79999 data may confuse the device to get back online (very sad - it already cost 2 devices one BT338 and one TomTom MkII).

I have used my own dumps to crossupgrade from BT338 to TomTom and the 3.2.2 from antineutrino. After some back and forth I am on 3.2.2 again currently for all devices (living with the green-LED off until a fix).

BTW: I am quite sure that the bluetooth part is not touched by these updates.
The names of the devices as they are recognized on bluetooth are not changing after a FW update.

Last edited:

lop1

thanks tobbie ,

as I need this gps in the coming next weeks, I will not take the chance to do the upgrade just now. I will wait a quiter period of time to try it ( so if I brick it I will have time to make a replacement ).

thanks, I will come back for detailled instructions in some weeks.

Laurent

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
It's in the same forum a few post further down - it comes from another member there - just look it up.

Edit: just checked - it seems only the 3.2.4 of the BT368 is there.
I have edited my old post there with a new link that has all info - also for short here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/41287744/Firmware_Globalsat.zip.html

Please read the GPS passion forum entries very thoroughly - it MUST be complete dump that you insert - anything less than 512kB will kill your device (as a poor forum member there had to suuffer)..

Last edited:

patek

Nov 5, 2005
Budapest
Tobbbie,
Thank you for your prompt answer,
I checked my software version, Sirfdemo says: GSW3.1.1LowV_3.1.00.07-c23B1.00 - the same what yours was before upgraded.
I read your opinion about changing to 3.2.2 :

>As mentioned earlier I have yet to discover advantages of 3.2.2 or 3.2.4 over 3.1.1. I >think some trickle power options are more flexible and the DGPS could work - but so far I >could never get a DGPS fix.

So do you think is it worth enough to upgrade? (green lamp!)
Is the WAAS enabled in the 3.2.2 ? (maybe silly question)
Thanks

It's in the same forum a few post further down - it comes from another member there - just look it up.

Edit: just checked - it seems only the 3.2.4 of the BT368 is there.
I have edited my old post there with a new link that has all info - also for short here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/41287744/Firmware_Globalsat.zip.html

Please read the GPS passion forum entries very thoroughly - it MUST be complete dump that you insert - anything less than 512kB will kill your device (as a poor forum member there had to suuffer)..