obb "Game Data" to external_sd and Link2Sd Info [Updated 3/24]

Search This thread

whoamanwtf

Nov 15, 2008
Best Coast
Re: obb "Game Data" to external_sd and Link2Sd Info

Did you add the sleep line? Some ROMS take longer to mount the sd card than others. If the sd card isn't mounted before the script runs nothing will happen.

Code:
#start
sleep 30
mount -o bind /storage/external_SD/Gamedata /storage/sdcard0/Android/obb/
#end

This will wait 30 seconds before running the script. If the paths are correct, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Under smanager, click menu>more> advanced>configuration, and turn on "Show On Boot Script Log". That should give you an idea as to what is happening.

Well was doing it without rebooting most the time like I do on the ics roms so the sleep shouldn't have had an effect as it was already mounted, right? Either way I'm back on ICS now this little script is huge for me now I can't be without it:)

Sent from my Slicked OG

Nitin5556

Mar 3, 2013
Urgent help required !!

Brother pls help me ..
Im using micromax canvas hd and the interal space is about 1.7gb only to save games and app data..
Now my question is how to download heavy data games like mc4,nfsmw,rr3 in my phone?

All the games that i have mentioned is above 1.7 gb so it is not possible for me to save additional data of play store in internal memory and then transfer it to sd with the help of your script..

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida

For cfx, the SD cards are mounted as /extSdCard for external and /sdcard for internal.

Sent from my LG-E970

Joecascio2000

Brother pls help me ..
Im using micromax canvas hd and the interal space is about 1.7gb only to save games and app data..
Now my question is how to download heavy data games like mc4,nfsmw,rr3 in my phone?

All the games that i have mentioned is above 1.7 gb so it is not possible for me to save additional data of play store in internal memory and then transfer it to sd with the help of your script..

1. Are you rooted?
2. What are the file paths to the external sd card and the internal sd card?

For cfx, the SD cards are mounted as /extSdCard for external and /sdcard for internal.

Sent from my LG-E970

Do you know if they are located in /mnt/ or /storage/?

Nitin5556

Mar 3, 2013
1. Are you rooted?
2. What are the file paths to the external sd card and the internal sd card?

Do you know if they are located in /mnt/ or /storage/?

Yes it is rooted ..and it comes with 4.1.2 jelly bean installed ..
As of nw i cant gv u the path ways cus its in service centre.
But there are two internal memory's ...1st is 900mb, 2nd is 1.7gb and my external sd card is of 16gb.

Joecascio2000

Yes it is rooted ..and it comes with 4.1.2 jelly bean installed ..
As of nw i cant gv u the path ways cus its in service centre.
But there are two internal memory's ...1st is 900mb, 2nd is 1.7gb and my external sd card is of 16gb.

If 1.7 GBs is all you have available on internal, I recommend doing the swap for the whole android folder instead of just the obb folder. But first you have to find out what the paths are for the /Android/ folder on the internal. And then find out what the path is for the external sdcard. Once you know those we can proceed.

Nitin5556

Mar 3, 2013
If 1.7 GBs is all you have available on internal, I recommend doing the swap for the whole android folder instead of just the obb folder. But first you have to find out what the paths are for the /Android/ folder on the internal. And then find out what the path is for the external sdcard. Once you know those we can proceed.

ok i will make the script for the android folder only .
1.Will the game data store directly to sdcard ?
2.Apps and widgets wont crash?
3.And i read somewhere after some reboots the android folder get deleted from the sdcard and the whole data get erased ?

Joecascio2000

ok i will make the script for the android folder only .
1.Will the game data store directly to sdcard ?
2.Apps and widgets wont crash?
3.And i read somewhere after some reboots the android folder get deleted from the sdcard and the whole data get erased ?

1) Yup all gamedata, even gamedata that is downloaded to /Android/Data/ will be downloaded to the External SD Card.
2) I actually haven't been using the Obb script. I've been using a complete android folder script and I haven't had any force closes at all. YMMV though. If you do get force closes you can try clearing data for that individual app to see if it helps.
3) It's never happened to me or anyone using this script. As long as you set it up right and copy the files over before running the script you should be fine. Also, there is nothing too important in the android folder, so it getting deleted isn't the worst thing to happen. I would make a separate backup to your computer before trying. Just in case.

PM me when you are ready to try and I'll give you the basic instructions.

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida

Those are just shortcuts. The real locations are somewhere else.

Then try /storage/emulated/legacy or /storage/emulated/0 for internal and /storage/sdcard1 for external. I see what your saying. Root Explorer shows the first ones I said as shortcuts while legacy is shown as the original. Seems like 0 and legacy are linked so either should work.

Sent from my LG-E970

Joecascio2000

Then try /storage/emulated/legacy or /storage/emulated/0 for internal and /storage/sdcard1 for external. I see what your saying. Root Explorer shows the first ones I said as shortcuts while legacy is shown as the original. Seems like 0 and legacy are linked so either should work.

Sent from my LG-E970

Yup that sounds right. Code for CFX AOSP should be:

Code:
mount -o bind /storage/sdcard1/Gamedata /storage/emulated/0/Android/obb/

This probably works for the other aosp roms (CM/AOKP).

Joecascio2000

It looks like it works, goes green and everything like it is working and says no mount errors but it does not work

Interesting. Ill test it out on my Captivate later. Unfortunately I can't really test it on my LGOG because its back on stock and I'm waiting for a warranty replacement in the mail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PART 1: obb "Game Data" to external_sd

Simple script that binds the internal obb folder to an external Gamedata folder on your sd to save space on Internal SD Card.

Use at your own risk.

1. Create a folder on the external_sd called "Gamedata"
    2. Move all folders located in sdcard/android/obb to the newly created folder "Gamedata" (This takes a long time using Root Explorer, be patient. I recommend using Solid Explorer so that you can see the progress.)
    3. Download the txt file and rename the extension to .sh OR Create a new script using:

Stock ICS:
    Code:
    mount -o bind /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Gamedata /mnt/sdcard/Android/obb/
    SnowJB (may or may not work on other JB ROMS) - Credit:
    Code:
    mount -o bind /storage/external_SD/Gamedata /storage/sdcard0/Android/obb/
    4. Download Smanager from the playstore.
    5. Find the script you created and set it to run with SU, make sure to save.
    6. You can run it now to see if it worked. (If it did, make sure to edit the script to run at boot)

Notes:
    I reclaimed about 6GB+ and was able to download several new games after doing this.
    Occasional a folder called /Android/data/ gets created in Gamedata but it stays empty and doesn't effect anything. Just ignore it.
    Newly downloaded game data will automatically be downloaded to the Gamedata folder. (As long as the addition data is downloaded through Google Play)
    Works with Link2SD

This should work on every device that has an external sd card, however you might have to edit the paths to make sure they match up with how your device has the external sd card implemented (emmc, sdcard1, extSdCard). You may also have to edit the internal sd path for 4.2 and above to because of multi-user support.

Thanks to DeathmonkeyGTX! His music cache script gave me the idea to do the same for obb game data. They could probably be combined into one script, should you want to.

PART 2: Link2SD Info - for even more space saving

You can also use Link2Sd (found on the market) to store apps on the external sd card.

I formatted my external sd into two partitions. One 55 GB partition (For user data) and another 4 GB partition (for Link2SD).

Notes:
    The highest app that I linked only saved about 50 MBs. Not really saving that much space, but after I linked several 50 MBs and under apps, I recovered about 1.2 GBs of space on the Internal.
    The second partition can only be used for Link2SD.

To Set Up:
    Backup your SD, format it to Fat32, use MiniTool to resize the first partition, then create a second partition (FAT 32 and make sure it is Primary) using the remaining space. You should now have two partitions. Now just launch the Link2SD app and create the start-up mount scripts. Reboot, launch the app once more, and finally start linking apps to your external sd card.

More info here: http://www.link2sd.info/home
    I recommend reading the description and FAQ.

Both "PARTS" can be used together or separately just fine on ICS. However, I was not able to get Link2Sd working on SnowJB.
    hey guys first let me say that I love this site, its my first stop for tips.this is my first post here' but I'm not a noob to android os. I need help!!! I recently purchased a kocaso m760 tablet running ics. I notice that I can't install apps that are heavy on sd card data. I am running out of space because of the separate storage space issue. all the solutions I have found require root access which requires root access. is there a way to root my device without a pc? something like z4root for ics devices. I know this I not a rooting thread but this thread is the closest I have come to a proper desciption of my problem. I can only download one gameloft game and my device will not link with obb files stored on my sd card. I can't move the file to the internal storage. no space. any help here would be hot. thanx in advance. may the force be with you all. p.s. please tell the developers to stop fixing things that don't need fixing

Wish I could help you out more but step one is rooting. Most methods involve a PC. I found this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...6-rooting-kocaso-m760-how-root-kocaso-760.pdf . If you scroll to the bottom it looks like it's the easiest root method I've seen for any device. Ultimately, it's all about research. Once you find a way and root, just download FolderMount or make a script.