Email app problem after KitKat update

Search This thread

alvaroag

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 2, 2010
Lima
Hi. About two weeks ago, I updates my XZ C6602 to KitKat. SInce then, I've had problems with the Email application. I have it configured with an ActiveSync account from the company. Just after updating, I received notifications for new incomming mail, but when I tapped the notificacion, an empty message(empty email) showed up; when I went to the message list(Inbox), I could only see messages that were downloaded to the phone before the update.

At first, I thought it may be a problem with the update, so I deleted the account and created it again. Contacts & Calendar syncs correctly, but when I open the Email app, the message list is empty and it says "No mail"; opening any other folder would result in the same message. Also, I'm still receiving notifications for new mail, but, as before, when I tap, I get an empty message(no even sender or subject). I have tried refreshing(autosync is already on for all accounts), but with no difference. "Last update" is only few seconds or minutes ago.

I decided to go a little bit further with this problem, so I checked the data folder for com.android.email. On the databases folder, I checked the SQLite files, and, to my surprise, the messages were there! All of them, but there seems to be no way to open them on the app.

Has anyone had this problem? Any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

androidtweaker1

May 15, 2014
Hi. About two weeks ago, I updates my XZ C6602 to KitKat. SInce then, I've had problems with the Email application. I have it configured with an ActiveSync account from the company. Just after updating, I received notifications for new incomming mail, but when I tapped the notificacion, an empty message(empty email) showed up; when I went to the message list(Inbox), I could only see messages that were downloaded to the phone before the update.

At first, I thought it may be a problem with the update, so I deleted the account and created it again. Contacts & Calendar syncs correctly, but when I open the Email app, the message list is empty and it says "No mail"; opening any other folder would result in the same message. Also, I'm still receiving notifications for new mail, but, as before, when I tap, I get an empty message(no even sender or subject). I have tried refreshing(autosync is already on for all accounts), but with no difference. "Last update" is only few seconds or minutes ago.

I decided to go a little bit further with this problem, so I checked the data folder for com.android.email. On the databases folder, I checked the SQLite files, and, to my surprise, the messages were there! All of them, but there seems to be no way to open them on the app.

Has anyone had this problem? Any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

backup data and do a factory reset.see whether it resolves the issue

alvaroag

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 2, 2010
Lima
Hi. First of all, thanks to androidtweaker1 for your suggestion. Unfortunatelly. I wont make a factory reset, mainly because it would take a day or two to backup and restore everything, and I don't have so much free time.

Today I updated the z-push version on the server. I did it because the installed version was a bit old(1.5.10 vs 2.1.3), without even thinking it would make a difference. But, as my XZ gave an error, because of that, I had to configure the account again(to have contacts & calendar sync) and, after that, I check the Email app and surprise! it now shows my messages :)

So, just if someone sees this at some time having the same problems, try first updating(or ask your sysadmin to do so) your z-push version. Really strange, because de Email app from W8 on my laptop worked OK with the old version.