Easy way how to improve 3G(2G) troughput

Search This thread

R3N0V4D0

Dec 7, 2009
Space
make sure you guys reboot 3 times for it to go through ;)

for those who dont know, its the g2 config and the mytouch 4g config plus some sprinkles weee.

Last edited:

CrazyMcCool

Sep 24, 2010
Hey I got a Desire, and I know this is not the right section but I was pointed here by people saying you might help.
I am in israel and my current desire device doesn't lock into the 3G signles here, however once i installed cynogen mod it locked into the HSDPA ( sp? ) network, which was awesome cause that was the first time I was able to get any time of mobile network signle here..

My question would be could I do this to my current sense rom? sorry for the noob question...

Thanks in the advance :)

PeeHoo

Oct 29, 2007
Espoo
hi you all!

I've HD2 MDJ's Android rom for daily use. I am quite happy about it but there is one feature which is, I think, depended on Android platform - not ROM.

My basic problem is that I do not have a strong cellular network coverage and it is really frustrating when phone is trying to get Hspda connection instead of staying 3G.

However I haven't found any solution to force phone NOT to try Hspda connection. Even old Nokia phones have option to avoid Hspda.

I am not sure but would this be possible? Came my mind after read this thread...

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
hi you all!

I've HD2 MDJ's Android rom for daily use. I am quite happy about it but there is one feature which is, I think, depended on Android platform - not ROM.

My basic problem is that I do not have a strong cellular network coverage and it is really frustrating when phone is trying to get Hspda connection instead of staying 3G.

However I haven't found any solution to force phone NOT to try Hspda connection. Even old Nokia phones have option to avoid Hspda.

I am not sure but would this be possible? Came my mind after read this thread...

i think you are confused. not even old nokia phones can force to use 3G instead of HSDPA. no phone has ever been able to do that to my knowledge.

phones can only force to use 2G GSM, or stay on 3G/HSDPA. but 3g and hsdpa cannot be seperated apart, they are together as a technology and no phone has ever been able to block hsdpa but keep 3g UMTS that i'm aware of.

PeeHoo

Oct 29, 2007
Espoo
i think you are confused. not even old nokia phones can force to use 3G instead of HSDPA. no phone has ever been able to do that to my knowledge.

phones can only force to use 2G GSM, or stay on 3G/HSDPA. but 3g and hsdpa cannot be seperated apart, they are together as a technology and no phone has ever been able to block hsdpa but keep 3g UMTS that i'm aware of.

Ok... but do I really remember wrong that WinMo phones has that option... I am quite sure there was...??!!

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Besides, what difference would there be to only using umts in a low signal situation? Hsdpa or umts, its still the same identical cell site, tower, and technology you'd be connecting too. Why would umts be somehow better?

PeeHoo

Oct 29, 2007
Espoo
Only reason is that when phone is trying to get hspda connection "handshaking" and it takes always secs... and sometimes even more... this handshaking actually consumes lot of battery...

And I just check... f.e in winmo there is an option to disable hspda aka use only 2g & umts.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

R3N0V4D0

Dec 7, 2009
Space
heres my latest screenshot with my config :)

20110517191722.png

yes im using a G1 :D

R3N0V4D0

Dec 7, 2009
Space
ro.ril.hsxpa=3
ro.ril.gprsclass=32
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=8
ro.ril.def.agps.mode=1
ro.ril.def.agps.feature=1
ro.ril.enable.fd.plmn.prefix=23402,23410,23411
ro.ril.enable.sdr=1
ro.ril.enable.gea3=1
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse =0

wild_eyes

Aug 13, 2007
I have CM7 and I am newby do not understand the procedure.
could you please clarify how can I find and use terminator also
explain more how I can use Notepad++ to do change and to change what part from where?

thanks

UPDATE: it seems that for some users is needed to do two reboots after each change of prop file.

It seems that is work for most users with rom based on DRC83. It seems that works in US and EU region. Therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).
I tested it on cyanogen 4.2.7.1 but it should work with other ROMs too. I think that improvement is depedent on presence of HSUPA feature in your network.
Try it and let us to know....

Comparison video - two G1 simultaneously (sorry for poor quality-Nokia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskKwh2xBXs

I have found that my cyan G1 is much slower in uplink in 3G network than official TMO EU G1. Same radio but "primary band" (phone info menu) was different....
Cyan (and other US ROMS):
62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
TMO EU:
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

I found difference in build.trout.prop (build.prop - TMO) which make this difference.

Cyan (TMO US):
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
TMO EU:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

I changed values in build.trout.prop.... TADAAA
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l is showed in phone info. Uplink is almost three times faster. It seems that is some improvement in EDGE too (gprsclass).

THEORY:
US ROMS has disabled HSUPA feature.
ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

script which apply all stuff (thanks cloverdale)
note: script use cyanogen build.trout.prop
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5081309&postcount=7036

or

1) adb pull /system/build.trout.prop build.trout.prop
2) edit with notepad++ (or other unix format capable editor)
3) adb remount
4) adb push build.trout.prop /system/build.trout.prop
5) reboot

in on other roms change build.trout.prop to build.sapphire.prop or build.prop depending which one your ROM using

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: it seems that for some users is needed to do two reboots after each change of prop file.

It seems that is work for most users with rom based on DRC83. It seems that works in US and EU region. Therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).
    I tested it on cyanogen 4.2.7.1 but it should work with other ROMs too. I think that improvement is depedent on presence of HSUPA feature in your network.
    Try it and let us to know....

Comparison video - two G1 simultaneously (sorry for poor quality-Nokia)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskKwh2xBXs

I have found that my cyan G1 is much slower in uplink in 3G network than official TMO EU G1. Same radio but "primary band" (phone info menu) was different....
    Cyan (and other US ROMS):
    62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
    TMO EU:
    62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

I found difference in build.trout.prop (build.prop - TMO) which make this difference.

Cyan (TMO US):
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10
    TMO EU:
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12

I changed values in build.trout.prop.... TADAAA
    62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l is showed in phone info. Uplink is almost three times faster. It seems that is some improvement in EDGE too (gprsclass).

THEORY:
    US ROMS has disabled HSUPA feature.
    ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

script which apply all stuff (thanks cloverdale)
    note: script use cyanogen build.trout.prop
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5081309&postcount=7036

or

1) adb pull /system/build.trout.prop build.trout.prop
    2) edit with notepad++ (or other unix format capable editor)
    3) adb remount
    4) adb push build.trout.prop /system/build.trout.prop
    5) reboot

in on other roms change build.trout.prop to build.sapphire.prop or build.prop depending which one your ROM using
    to summarize this...
    This mod could help in areas with at least 7,2Mbit HSDPA in downlink
    Definitely improve uplink in HSUPA area - without this mod isn't possible to break 380kbit barrier

It will not help in case that you are blocked by operator's QOS (throtling, shaping)
    It will not help in interfered areas.

Don't expect miracles in case your operator doesn't have sufficient technology.

From previous post is visible that somebody experiencing huge improvement, somebody slight, somebody non improvement and some few degradation.

Again this mod isn't an miracle which will improve 3G speed beyond operator's capabilities. It just enable higher coding schemes on your phone, that's all.