Tethering functional via FoxFi/PdaNet (Bluetooth)

Search This thread

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
I have been monkeying with this for a while, and yall have probably seen my frustrated posts regarding the loss of tethering functionality with my new GS5. I had been using a rooted GS2 for a couple years (with my unlimited MEW1 plan) and could tether with no problem. Switching to the carrier-branded GS5 (even though ATT allowed my data plan to carry over) has been a learning experience.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that this morning I was finally able to get tethering working via FoxFi on my GS5 and PdaNet Tablet on my old GS2. I left the devices unpaired in Bluetooth settings, then started the bluetooth tether on FoxFi, then went through the PdaNet Tablet configuration. It found my GS5 and paired, then connected. I verified by visiting a website and testing some apps.

The whole point of this exercise was to get Ingress working so my son can play with me. He has my GS2 now. Not having tethering thus far has been the only missing piece of the puzzle, but this is a good workaround until root is achieved.

I assume this would also work on an Android tablet, but I haven't tried that yet because my old Transformer's charger has failed. I will also experiment with a laptop & bluetooth dongle, and also my iPad.

Good luck!

067Epwz.png

Reactions: galaxy s4 nutjob

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have been monkeying with this for a while, and yall have probably seen my frustrated posts regarding the loss of tethering functionality with my new GS5. I had been using a rooted GS2 for a couple years (with my unlimited MEW1 plan) and could tether with no problem. Switching to the carrier-branded GS5 (even though ATT allowed my data plan to carry over) has been a learning experience.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that this morning I was finally able to get tethering working via FoxFi on my GS5 and PdaNet Tablet on my old GS2. I left the devices unpaired in Bluetooth settings, then started the bluetooth tether on FoxFi, then went through the PdaNet Tablet configuration. It found my GS5 and paired, then connected. I verified by visiting a website and testing some apps.

The whole point of this exercise was to get Ingress working so my son can play with me. He has my GS2 now. Not having tethering thus far has been the only missing piece of the puzzle, but this is a good workaround until root is achieved.

I assume this would also work on an Android tablet, but I haven't tried that yet because my old Transformer's charger has failed. I will also experiment with a laptop & bluetooth dongle, and also my iPad.

Good luck!

Tethering works no problem for me on the new AT&T plan. No separate is app needed. I made sure to clarify that before switching plans and devices. Thought it was also available on older plans with unlimited data.

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
Tethering works no problem for me on the new AT&T plan. No separate is app needed. I made sure to clarify that before switching plans and devices. Thought it was also available on older plans with unlimited data.

This is the old grandfathered MEW1 data plan; ATT specifically said that the tethering option is not provisioned on this plan (which is why the provisioning service fails to validate when you start up the wifi hotspot feature).

roughmouth

Nov 27, 2012
So I can't set up a hotspot with foxfi. I wonder if is cut I'm on straight talk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

bbrou33

Feb 17, 2011

Good luck!

067Epwz.png

Works for me on my tablet(which is what I really wanted hotspot for). I have grandfathered unlimited plan.
Thanks!

chungdae

Jun 18, 2014
Foxfi only work for me with USB tether. Hopefully there will be a walk around this soon.

saj070

Feb 26, 2007
i installed foxfi unroot full version but it connects then disconnect automatically telling me no internet or sim invalid ?

i am coming form S$ and never had a problem is there a work around

my phone is not rooted as there is no root from what i can tell for ATT GM-900A

Thanks

roppolo

Mar 23, 2012

Good luck!

I did this exact scenario and even though it says its connected, I am unable to surf the web on my tablet. Probably gonna end up biting the bullet and changing my AT&T account to one without unlimited data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!

067Epwz.png