Lifeproof Galaxy S5 Fre Cases are Now Shipping

Search This thread

Kinlem

Jul 4, 2014
I've been trying to hold out on buying a Lp for my s5 hoping for a nuud version to come out. Someone in this thread said that on the Lp Facebook page that they won't be making one. Can someone else definitely confirm that Lp has no intention of making the nuud version for the s5?

wcsc12

May 29, 2012
TN
I've been trying to hold out on buying a Lp for my s5 hoping for a nuud version to come out. Someone in this thread said that on the Lp Facebook page that they won't be making one. Can someone else definitely confirm that Lp has no intention of making the nuud version for the s5?

I can confirm that statement. I messaged them about the release date of the Nuud to be told that they have no plans on releasing a Nuud version of the Lifeproof case for the Galaxy S 5. I was saddened as well because I've been waiting on it myself.

Reactions: Kinlem

SuFuCru

Feb 23, 2011
Dallas, TX
If you think about it, how could the make the nuud? There would be no way to seal around the home button. If they did, obviously the fingerprint scanner would be useless.

Kinlem

Jul 4, 2014
I would think they do it the same way they did it for the iPhone 5s. A clear cutout for the finger print scanner

TalionDread

Oct 3, 2012
my mom has this case and its a total PITA to get the charger port open

i would stay as far away from this case as you can if i were you

I bought this case and I can confirm that accessing the charging port is very difficult. If you bite your nails or cut them short you'll never open it without a tool lol. The case itself though is fairly lightweight and comfortable. Other than the charging port I like the case a lot. I also like the fact that it double the phones IP67 rating to IP68 therefore providing water-proofing and shock-proofing up to 6.6ft. I do not plan on testing water resistance depths personally though but it'll be nice to use around the pool and not worry about the kids splashing it.

Heavy Metal

Nov 22, 2011
Yup my nails are v v v short but I do manage to get the door open..

Grrr

SAMSUNG-SM-G900A, with 128gb SD & Rooted.

Kinlem

Jul 4, 2014
The charging port plug on the s5 is actually removable. If you remove the back you can use a small Phillips head to remove a small panel on the back. Then you can safely remove the plug. That way you only have to deal with the Lp case's door

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
That seems strange. They did it for the S4. Does any one know why?

In all honesty, every review on YouTube that I have watched, real reviews meaning life conditions, not factory testing controlled conditions, the nuud was horrible at protecting the device. They probably just stopped making them due to that. I also read a lot of people had leaking around the top piece of the case.

Yup my nails are v v v short but I do manage to get the door open..

Grrr

SAMSUNG-SM-G900A, with 128gb SD & Rooted.

I am going to rig a little flap on the battery cover to give you something to grab to make it easily openable. If i come up with something that is awesome and works great, i'll purchase a handful of the covers and rig them up and sell them. Maybe XDA members will get them for free ;)

Anyone else having a issue hearing people while on call?

I have the opposite. People say i sound muffled. But i did make a bunch of mods to my software, so it could be that. When i first got the case. I recorded all my conversations and didn't notice a problem with my voice in the recording, so i'm guessing it was something i did.

v3rn

Dec 20, 2009
Boston
I'm trying to decide between the fre and the preserver. Does anyone know if it's possible to use one of the wireless charging coils with the preserver? That would fix the biggest issue with the preserver. I've just heard too many issues with sound problems on the fre.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone tried the LifeProof or the Otterbox with the Official Charging Cover ? Would give up my Spigen Tough Armour for one if it fits.

Im using the Life proof with the OEM wireless door. It does fit but the power button and volume down do not press. Its because the buttons sit higher then the case now. The otter box one does not fit at all. You cant get it to snap together. I also contacted life proof about the bad echo and they have a fix and are sending me a replacement. They took them off sale until the fix.

I have no issues using the Life Proof now with the OEM wireless cover. It fits and everything works. Power button and volume down are fine to me. I use double tap to lock anyways so I never use the power button. I wish Samsung would just sell it with the wireless cover so OEMs would make a case.

Spigen Tough Armor does not fit the OEM Wireless cover either.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I have not seen the preserver in person but there seems to be a big problem with the charging port cover. I believe that they made the area way to tight and you have to pry it open with a tool.

They are afraid to even show the opening in their installation video here:

Preserver Series Galaxy S5 Case

I have the otterbox one and the charging port cover is a night mare. You cant get to the tab that covers the usb3.0 port.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Mine does too. If you look at the part right by the microphone with the flap open, you can see that part kicks out just a bit past the opening.

Thats part of the Microphone gasket. The yellow door gasket has to be cut like that.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

My case has the notch too, my guess is its for the mic. One thing I'd like to see is a Lifeproof holster, a guy at my work likes my case a lot better than his Defender but he has to have a holster. I did take my case off and clean the screen on my phone and the inside screen protector and I have no more oil slicks to report as of now, I'm also use to the screen protector now. So far I like this case many times better than my Defender, other than the color scheme I had for my Defender.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

You want a holster buy the Note 3 seidio surface holster from shopandroid.com or seidioonline.com and it works perfect for the life proof for the S5. Im using it now.

This holster works great. http://www.shopandroid.com/seidio-surface-holster/4AA15693.htm

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I like mine, have no complaints yet. I would like to see a review/comparison between the Fre and the Preserver.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I guess I should do one since I own both.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

I will say the Preserver is a lot thicker. I like how it snaps together. I like how the case sits on the screen and doesnt have a tall part around the screen like the Life Proof does. The finger print is easier to swipe then the Life Proof. I got both in white and the Otter Box seems to be built better. Also no Echo issue with Otter Box. Life Proof is know issue and being fixed. I cant find a holster to work with the the Otter Box. The note 3 seidio surface works with the Life Proof. I like how thin the Life Proof is. Over all I would recommend the Life Proof once they fix the echo issue. If you dont care about size then the Otter Box is for u.
    Found this video on YouTube showing the Lifeproof Galaxy S5 case.

Life Proof Galaxy S5 Case
    Amazon now has them for sell, white and black version. Has anyone get a LP for there S5, if so how is it?

I have a Fre for the S5. Just came today :good: I also have the Otterbox defender. With the defender I removed the screen protector since any moisture would get under that protector and made it a PITA to clean. So far in using for the past two hours I have no quarrels. It's basically a two piece snap together case. The fit seems very nice. I have the Grey/white version. The back is clear plastic surrounded by the grey hard rubber. The case itself is approx 2mm thinner than the Otterbox defender. The plastic screen protector does not interfere at all with tactile sensory feeling. I use a synthetic type cleaner on it that leaves a slick but clean surface so my finger slides nicely. The surface actually leaves no smudges under normal use, which is a plus. I guess the only negative is I actually preferred the feel im my hands with the Otterbox which uses the rubberized case backing, which is softer vs the harder rubber of the Lifeproof. But I can get used to how this feels with little issue. I was able to use the DAD14 code, BTW to get the 10% discount. I did opt to pay the extra 10 dollars for the Water protection add on that Lifeproof offers that guarantees it for one year. Sure I have my TMobile warrantee and insurance thru the jump program but that's still a hefty $150 deductible. My Monster Gold turbine earphones plug in without the add on water proof adapter. But just leaving the adapter on my line is the easiest mean to not lose that adapter.
    Hope that helps. No, I have not tested it yet WRT jumping into my pool, which I am about to do, since it's in the low 100's here in the Sin City Las Vegas suburbs. (Henderson, NV.)
    Well I went to my local Bestbuy and they had no idea that the lifeproof was even out for the S5 or when they would get it. So I went to a Sprint store and we'll they had one so I got one. So far they screen protector is a little bit different. Mine dose not lay 100% on the screen. It has a tad and I mean a very little gap between the screen protector and the actual screen. Other than that I haven't had any issues yet, two phone calls and no echo or problem in call. Speaker dose not seem to be muffled like I've been told about lifeproof cases. I'll update after I use the case for a few days, as of now I have not seen any impact on signal(Sprint) but I'll pay attention of it dose.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I can confirm that statement. I messaged them about the release date of the Nuud to be told that they have no plans on releasing a Nuud version of the Lifeproof case for the Galaxy S 5. I was saddened as well because I've been waiting on it myself.