[HOW-TO] Manually deodex your phone.

Search This thread

willy1234x1

Nov 11, 2008
I keep getting told I don't have permission to use su through the command prompt, what do I do? Also I keep having "Usage: mount [-r] blah blah" pop up

zsg1313

Sep 4, 2010
this may help some of you. Im on win7ult x64

I had the error in java on xultimate until i reinstalled the following

Java RE BOTH 32 and 64 bit
and
Java SE Development kit for 64 bit

after that deodex went smooth

willy1234x1

Nov 11, 2008
Huh now it's telling me my done_app and done_frame folders don't exist. Even though I was just looking at them through adb shell. :/

zsg1313

Sep 4, 2010
haha you are going through the same **** i did yesterday.

What I had to do way to reboot to koush recovery and choose to mount the system and also the sdcard. Then run your adw commands.

there is a thread on this somewhere with better instructions but im not sure where i saw it yesterday

willy1234x1

Nov 11, 2008

What I had to do way to reboot to koush recovery and choose to mount the system and also the sdcard. Then run your adw commands.

there is a thread on this somewhere with better instructions but im not sure where i saw it yesterday
Link to Koush's recovery? The only one I can find on Google is 404'd

Macaroni86

Sep 20, 2010
so, i assume if i hit test and get all "pass!", i'm good?

I think an all pass means you have a mix of odex and deodexed files. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I read on another site the results you want are:

-adb pull- **PASS**
-odex- **FAIL**
-7z- **PASS**
-busybox- **PASS**
-java- **PASS**
-temp- **PASS**

If you fail the odex test that means you don't have any odex files left. Took me a half dozen tries but I finally got it. You can always list your /system/framework/ and see if there are any odex files left to double check.

jzmax22

Sep 23, 2010
when i type in
11. cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
my phone resets and then i try to run adb shell w/ pc mode and i get

no device found, any ideas how to fix this, i also get a bunch of fc's , so i wind up doing a restore to get my phone back. what am i doing wrong?

i see others are having these same problems, but no resolves

dr154

Jan 3, 2010
Hyattsville
code.google.com
Revised Command-Line

when i type in
11. cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
my phone resets and then i try to run adb shell w/ pc mode and i get

no device found, any ideas how to fix this, i also get a bunch of fc's , so i wind up doing a restore to get my phone back. what am i doing wrong?

i see others are having these same problems, but no resolves

if ur doing the commands right, ur phone shouldn't restart after u input that command since you used the stop command, which makes the phone unusable until u reboot.

if it says no device found, restart adb services by typing "adb start-server".

so try these, which worked for me...

adb shell
su
stop
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
exit
exit
adb reboot

Last edited:

ECS2010

Feb 16, 2010
Im not an expert or anything but you can also deodex your phone manually using root explorer.

All I did was press r/w, multi-select, and move the odexed files from system/app and system/framework to my sd card. Then moved again to my computer.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. I did this a few weeks ago and am successfully running the galaxy s theme 1.5.2 with no ill effects. Couldn't get Ultimate X to work :(

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

RCars2

Aug 27, 2010

Thanks for the tip on that one. I was banging my head against a wall trying to get this to work.

If anyone else needs to do this method do the following:

-Launch koush's loader and select "Reboot Recovery"
-Once at the menu use the up and down volume keys to highlight "mounts and storage", press the camera key to select.
-Using the same keys highlight "mount /sdcard" and select it.
-Now you can run your adb commmands
-Once you get to reboot you will see the command come back returned.....this is fine
-Go to your phone and press the power key once to go back a screen
-Press the camera key to select "reboot system now"

At this point you should be good to go and the phone will reboot. Dont freak out if it takes forever to reboot. Mine did and took about 3-4 minutes longer than normal to boot and then once loaded it was a little slow for the first minute or so. After that all clean sailing.

Hope that helps anyone else out if they get stuck on this.

DroidXBeast

Sep 22, 2010
I didn't ready every post in this thread, so I apologize if it has been mentioned.

The instructions note to put the phone in mass storage mode. The phone needs to be switched back to PC mode before performing the copy commands in su, otherwise you'll get a No such file or directory error.

HellRayzer

Oct 18, 2008
So when you run the test and everything passes except odex, does that mean the deodex worked? it seems like nothing would be left odexed because you deodexed it. does that sound right. I know this was mentioned through the thread but was never fully answered.

How do you know for sure if it worked or not?

Thanks, Hell

Reactions: harsh.hk007

catmanzrt

Sep 28, 2010
Not working?

I ran step 1 then step 2. press any key to continue but the menu doesn't return so I can select step 3. Did I do something wrong? How do I select step 3 without the menu? I have a blank screen with a flashing underscore.

EDIT: I exited out and reran test and got a Pass on all 8 items. Does this mean it's completed or do I have more steps to do. I ran version 2.2.2 of xU

Last edited:

zsg1313

Sep 4, 2010
if test passes then run main.

And best way to test is make a backup then install a theme!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE!

You must be rooted!

This is a guide on manually deodexing, you phone. (Duh!)

The reason I am making this tutorial is because I could not get my theme to work with Teenfaces deodexed nandroid. You may want to follows this if you have the same problem as me, or if you just want to take a shot at doing it.

What you'll need:
    A Windows based machine
    xUltimate v2.2
    Patience

Process:

1. Unzip xUltimate v2.2, and launch "Main.exe"
    2. If everything goes well xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
    3. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
    4. Now these well take a while. Run option 3.
    5. IMPORTANT: After you have run option 3, you MUST navigate to the xUltimate folder and find "origi_frame" folder, and delete "guava.odex". It's a bad file, and interferes with deodexing process.
    6. Now run option 4, and wait.
    7. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
    8. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
    9. Put the phone in PC mode
    10. Open a command prompt, and do the following:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    stop
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    rm /system/app/*.odex
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    reboot

Your phone should now be deodexed!

You may notice an increase in speed, and you now have the ability to edit certain files with greater effects. (i.e. services.jar)

Credits:
    Rainabba and Mike919: For initially working with me to get a white clock, and later deodex.
    toxman: For testing, and being a huge risk taker.
    teenfaces: For letting me use his services.jar
    And especially Xeudoxus: For letting me a guinea pig, for xUltimate, and answering my questions. And also for the making the xUltimate tool. It defiantly makes thing easier.
    So when you run the test and everything passes except odex, does that mean the deodex worked? it seems like nothing would be left odexed because you deodexed it. does that sound right. I know this was mentioned through the thread but was never fully answered.

How do you know for sure if it worked or not?

Thanks, Hell
    ghostlypickel; said:
    1. Unzip xUltimate v2.2, and launch "Main.exe"
    2. If everything goes well xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
    3. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
    4. Now these well take a while. Run option 3.
    5. IMPORTANT: After you have run option 3, you MUST navigate to the xUltimate folder and find "origi_frame" folder, and delete "guava.odex". It's a bad file, and interferes with deodexing process.
    6. Now run option 4, and wait.
    7. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
    8. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
    9. Put the phone in PC mode
    10. Open a command prompt, and do the following:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    stop
    rm /system/app/*.odex
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    reboot

Your phone should now be deodexed!

You may notice an increase in speed, and you now have the ability to edit certain files with greater effects. (i.e. services.jar)

Many thanks to all involved to make this possible.http://media.xda-developers.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wanted to say I used this on the fascinate gingerbread leak.
    Here is what I had to change to get it to work properly.

step 5 does not apply to (or at least not on the leak).

In adb shell I had to change
    Code:
    to
    mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

Also I had a problem of
    cp: write error: No space left on device

to solve this problem I simply ran the
    Code:
    rm /system/app/*.odex
    before the
    Code:
    and that solved all my problems.

My first attempt at this and it went great.
    I hope this information will help others.
    NOOB QUESTION : Will deleting all the .odex files from system/app counted as deodexing ?? :angel:

simple answer. no