[HOWTO] Install CM9 on 8GB Nook Tablet

Search This thread

sigmabeta

Jul 2, 2009
The 16GB Nook Tablet was released in the United States on Nov 17, 2011 (about 6 months ago). It is reasonably well-documented and a great deal of progress has been made on getting it to do cool stuff that its developers did not intend.

On February 21, 2012 (about 2 months ago) Barnes and Noble released an 8GB version of the Nook Tablet. It is much newer and most of the developers on XDA who were going to work with the Nook Tablet had already purchased 16GB devices by the time the 8GB was released; therefore, it is not documented nearly as well and many of its quirks are not as well known.

The purpose of this thread is to begin the process of documenting the differences between the two tablets. I spent a lot of time messing around with unsuccessful processes and asking questions to people who didn't know answers, and would like to contribute by saving that time for others.

By following this guide, you will be able to take an 8GB Nook Tablet out of the box and get it running an alpha version of CM9.

As of 04/25, CM9 for the Nook Tablet is an alpha state and many, many things do not work. I urge you not to try this yet unless you want to contribute to the development process, because you might irreversibly mess up your $200 toy. I am not responsible if you do this. Please, please do not try this unless you know what you are doing!

You will need:

• 8GB Nook Tablet (duh)
  • 1 MicroSD card that you don't mind wiping
  • Linux (I only know how to flash images to an SD card using Linux, if someone else wants to add Windows instructions it's appreciated, but honestly if you can't find your way around Linux you shouldn't do this)
  • ADB properly set up (there are other guides on how to do this, I will add it in later if necessary)
  • Some way of writing to a MicroSD (an SD reader preferably, you could use an android device but I would feel much safer with just an SD reader)
  • The recovery image from the bottom of this post (ignore the instructions, just get the image. Meghdoot please let me know if I can just include the direct link in this post.)
  • CM9 Alpha 0.03 zipped package from this post (filename: update-cm9-acclaim-alpha0.03-fullofbugs.zip)
  • Google Apps ICS flashable zip (optional, find it somewhere if you want it)

Actually flashing CM9 is not that hard. The problem is that we want to make sure we have a way out of any problems we might cause (maybe you get sick of CM9 for example.) There are slight differences between the 8 and 16GB versions of the NT. These differences make a lot of the recovery methods for the 16GB not work on the 8GB. Do NOT flash anything to your tablet unless you are sure it works for the 8GB model!

Overview: What We Are Going To Do To Your Tablet

1. Create ClockWork Mod Recovery SD card
  2. Back up your existing stock system
  3. Save rombackup.zip, which contains files that are critical to the Stock OS
  4. Flash CM9

Step 1: Create CWM Recovery SD Card

This step is the most important because it lets us do just about everything else. It is very important that you follow this step precisely and not cut corners; for example, it is tempting to use xIndirect's Nook Tab Recovery Flasher app because it downloads CWM and flashes it to your tablet so you don't have to mess with an SD; the CWM version it flashes will not work on the 8GB tablet, and once you realize this and use the app to "revert to stock recovery", you will find that you have reverted to a 16GB stock recovery. I made this mistake, and so far don't know how to undo it (hopefully I won't have to).

1) Get your SD card readable in your computer

Alternate, perhaps easier method: Copy the contents of this file onto the sd card. Either do this or steps 2-4 below, whichever you prefer.

2) Unmount your SD card, but do not remove it
3) Unzip the CWM image you downloaded above, which should contain myrecovery.img

4)In Linux, do the following:
Code:
sudo dd if=myrecovery.img of=WhateverTheMountPointofSDCardIs bs=1M
Don't know how to find what your SD card's mount point is? TURN BACK.

In Windows, do the following:
lavero.burgos said:
- Format your sdcard with SDFormatter (recommended) or any other but not windows native.
- Download latest Win32DiskImage-binary.zip from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
- Unzip the file
- Run Win32DiskImage.exe - Right click "run as administrator"
- Click the folder button and navigate to select the .img file you just unzipped.
- Click on the disk drive letter label on the right, and choose the letter that corresponds to your SD card.
- Press Write. When it finishes, press Exit.
- Safely eject/remove your sdcard and put it back to your NT
- Plug your device to the a/c power or PC using the USB cable, let it power on by itself do not press any button.

Once this is done you should be able to place the SD card into your Nook Tablet, power it down, plug the USB cable while it is off, and it will turn on, show the Nook logo, a white screen with a cardboard box, and then load up CWM recovery.

Step 2: Nandroid Backup

This should be the simplest way to have a plan B - if you want to go back to stock ever, this should do it.

1) In ClockworkMod Recovery, press volume down until Backup and Restore is highlighted; press the home key to select it.
2) Choose "Backup to Internal Sdcard"
3) After a few minutes, verify that the backup was successfully completed.

You should have about 3.5GB free on your eMMC before the backup, and the backup will likely take about 800MB. (Please chime in if your backup is bigger / smaller.)

Step 3: Get Rombackup.zip

This file is very important. In the event that your tablet is completely borked, we could try flashing an image of a stock OS to it; however, there is a file in the stock OS called rombackup.zip which identifies your Nook when it tries to connect to BN's services. If you flash someone else's image you will have someone else's rombackup.zip and BN will not let you in.

1) On Ubuntu, with your tablet in CWM Recovery, do
Code:
$ adb shell
This will open up a terminal to your tablet, where you must type these commands VERY PRECISELY (!!!!):
Code:
mkdir /mnt
mkdir /mnt/factory
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/factory
exit
2)After "exit", you will be returned to your Ubuntu terminal; from there do
Code:
adb pull /mnt/factory/rombackup.zip
3) Put that file somewhere safe! Dropbox is a good idea.

Step 4: Flash CM9

1) Reboot your tablet into stock OS one last time.
2) Mount your nook's storage to your PC
3) Place the cm9 update zip file you downloaded above onto the nook's storage
4) Reboot into CWM Recovery
5) Choose "Install zip from sdcard"
6) Choose "Choose zip from internal sdcard"
7) Find the CM9 zip, flash it
8) Find gapps (if you got it), flash it
9) NOT OPTIONALChoose "wipe data/factory reset" (if not visible, press power button to go back)
10) Reboot, pray

Your tablet should boot into a shiny new operating system. If you get tired of it, just restore stock using nandroid (takes seconds and works without a problem.) The experience within CM9 is not so different from the 16GB; however you will find since it only has 512MB of ram instead of 1GB, apps have to restart a lot more frequently than you would hope, because they are killed by Android's memory management if you hop to too many other apps. That's the tradeoff for the $50 you saved, cheapskate.

MANY THANKS TO:
  • The entire CM9 Nook Tablet team (too many to list)
  • Meghdoot for producing a working 8GB recovery + answering some ?s
  • fattire, bauwks, etc - for cracking the **** out of the security on these things
  • Anybody else I left out - this dev community just amazes me

Lastly - this is my first attempt at being useful on XDA, so please let me know if I made any mistakes, or if there is something you think I should add.

Last edited:

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Worked perfectly. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Windows Instructions

- Power off your NT and remove sdcard
- Put your sdcard into a card reader (preferably)
- Format your sdcard with SDFormatter (recommended) or any other but not windows native.
- Download latest Win32DiskImage-binary.zip from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
- Unzip the file
- Click the folder button and navigate to select the .img file you just unzipped.
- Click on the disk drive letter label on the right, and choose the letter that corresponds to your SD card.
- Plug your device to the a/c power or PC using the USB cable, let it power on by itself do not press any button.

~ Veronica

sigmabeta

Jul 2, 2009
lost101 in a PM said:
Download "8gb-16gb_cwm_sdcard.zip" from here.

Follow instructions and put SD card in Nook Tablet.
In CyanoBoot Menu > Boot from SD Card Normal.

Perhaps some people might find it of value if you added this to your tutorial as the current method of accessing CWM on a 8gb Nook Tablet.

I suppose; however, I'm still able to easily get to CWM from the same SD card I used to flash CM9, either by booting while holding the N key (I guess this doesn't work for everyone?) or shutting off the device and plugging it in. Either way seems to get CWM going from the SD card, though I suppose you could also do cyanoboot; my understanding is that that should work without any additional files as well.

lost101

May 30, 2008
Download "8gb-16gb_cwm_sdcard.zip" from here.

1 - Follow instructions and put SD card in Nook Tablet.
2 - In CyanoBoot Menu > Boot from SD Card Normal.

Perhaps some people might find it of value if you added this to your tutorial as the current method of accessing CWM on a 8gb Nook Tablet.

That's with working a link.

You can also skip step one and put these files onto an SD card.

Last edited:

AbbaSou

Feb 11, 2010
So I've followed the directions precisely, but can't seem to boot into recovery. Plugging in while powered off just boots normal, and holding "n" and power just gives the factory reset options. I want to check one step in the OP's instructions:

Code:

By mount point do you mean the /media/XXXXXX folder it mounts to, or the /dev/sdx? I tried both, but neither seemed to work.

Also, by SDcard, you do mean an external microsd card, yes? Or are you talking internal storage?

And finally, what's the output supposed to look like from the above line of code?

lost101

May 30, 2008
So I've followed the directions precisely, but can't seem to boot into recovery. Plugging in while powered off just boots normal, and holding "n" and power just gives the factory reset options. I want to check one step in the OP's instructions:

Code:

By mount point do you mean the /media/XXXXXX folder it mounts to, or the /dev/sdx? I tried both, but neither seemed to work.

Also, by SDcard, you do mean an external microsd card, yes? Or are you talking internal storage?

And finally, what's the output supposed to look like from the above line of code?

I personally used the win32 method, but I suspect there would be no output unless an error occurred.

FYI, I updated to the latest build of CM9 by wiping in CWM and flashing it. No need for a *special* 512mb build.

sigmabeta

Jul 2, 2009

Code:

On my desktop computer, the argument I used read "of=/dev/sdc". This will likely not work on your computer, as the mount point won't be /dev/sdc on yours, but that's the format you should follow.

Make sure all three arguments are there and it should work, after about 3-4 seconds you should see a message saying how long it took and how many bytes were copied.

And yes, what this step does is to copy on to an external microSD card; if you instead use the mount point of the user-accessible storage partition of your Nook's eMMC, it won't work.

If it doesn't work, double check that you are flashing the correct file, and perhaps redownload it (not sure if meghdoot made md5sums available or not but that may be worth a check.)

Last edited:

sigmabeta

Jul 2, 2009
That's with working a link.

You can also skip step one and put these files onto an SD card.

I guess I may be misunderstanding what you are looking to accomplish; are you trying to make it so you can get into recovery without plugging the tablet in? If so that can be accomplished without any extra steps, once CM9 is succesfully installed:

• Power the tablet on while holding the home key (doesn't work on every NT apparently)
  • At Cyanoboot prompt, which should come up whenever you power the tablet on without holding the home key, you can THERE hold the home key and select "SD Card Normal" (not "SD Card Recovery")

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
RomBackup.Zip

In the O.P., your step 3 says...
"Save rombackup.zip, which contains files that are critical to the Stock OS"
Could you make a copy of that file available for download?

I was one of the early testers who tried to flash CWM & CM7a onto the internal EMMC memory. Of course, it bricked my NT8 and now I can ONLY boot from a (bootable) SDCard.

I am running CM7a from an SDCard now and it works fine. But, I would like to get my NT8 back to working (something) on the EMMC.

Perhaps, if I could push (or flash, or backup) the rombackup file to my device, it would restore the missing "critical" files? I can do ADB & CWM works from SDCard. I figure that it is worth a shot since I am pretty sure that I have tried every other "solution" on XDA - all failed.:(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

lost101

May 30, 2008

This is the contents, however the values in some of the files are unique to each device. Maybe changing some of the values in the files would work for you.

Anyt3.jpg

Reactions: raywaldo

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
RomBackup.Zip

This is the contents, however the values in some of the files are unique to each device. Maybe changing some of the values in the files would work for you.

Anyt3.jpg

Thanks. I see what you mean about the unique values. I don't know how I could do much with this data however.
Interestingly, my s/n is still intact. When I do ADB, it displays properly. But SOMETHING is still missing and it will not boot internally.
Thanks again for the response.
Your article is well-written and would have been a great help to me BEFORE I bricked it. :rolleyes:

lost101

May 30, 2008
Thanks. I see what you mean about the unique values. I don't know how I could do much with this data however.
Interestingly, my s/n is still intact. When I do ADB, it displays properly. But SOMETHING is still missing and it will not boot internally.

Have you tried creating a Rombackup.zip as described? It sounds like you may still have all the files.

lumav

Aug 10, 2010

I was one of the early testers who tried to flash CWM & CM7a onto the internal EMMC memory. Of course, it bricked my NT8 and now I can ONLY boot from a (bootable) SDCard.

I am running CM7a from an SDCard now and it works fine. But, I would like to get my NT8 back to working (something) on the EMMC.

Perhaps, if I could push (or flash, or backup) the rombackup file to my device, it would restore the missing "critical" files? I can do ADB & CWM works from SDCard. I figure that it is worth a shot since I am pretty sure that I have tried every other "solution" on XDA - all failed.:(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
After 3 weeks just been able to boot CM7 from sd I succesfully installed CM9 in EMMC on my NT8. I wasn't able to restore anything else into the EMMC after I bricked it trying to install CM7.
I'm very satisfied with CM9. Fo me is more responsive than running CM7 from sd.

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
RomBackup.Zip

Have you tried creating a Rombackup.zip as described? It sounds like you may still have all the files.

I was able to create the backup file... Rombackup.zip
Attached is a screen shot of the contents. Notice that it is down a few layers of directories: /rom/devconf/ Is that correct?

However, I have not had any success in getting CM9 (or any other ROM) to run on the EMMC.

Attachments

• rombackup.jpg
    rombackup.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 162

lost101

May 30, 2008
I was able to create the backup file... Rombackup.zip
Attached is a screen shot of the contents. Notice that it is down a few layers of directories: /rom/devconf/ Is that correct?

However, I have not had any success in getting CM9 (or any other ROM) to run on the EMMC.

Yes, everything is correct. What method are you using to install CM9? Have you tried installing 0.03 using CWM?

lumav

Aug 10, 2010
Yes, everything is correct. What method are you using to install CM9? Have you tried installing 0.03 using CWM?

Be aware that after you install CM9 and reboot into Cyanoboot it will try to boot from the alternate partition by default so you'll get an error message. You need to force Cyanoboot menu by pressing the n while booting and then select boot from eMMC normal (where CM9 is located).
Later you can change default boot in /bootdata by following instructions from fattire about
Cyanoboot .

Sent from my NT8 with CM9.

lost101

May 30, 2008
Be aware that after you install CM9 and reboot into Cyanoboot it will try to boot from the alternate partition by default so you'll get an error message. You need to force Cyanoboot menu by pressing the n while booting and then select boot from eMMC normal (where CM9 is located).
Later you can change default boot in /bootdata by following instructions from fattire about
Cyanoboot .

Sent from my NT8 with CM9.

I have no such problem with NT8, Cyanoboot boots from eMMC automatically. But then I still have the nook partition and never tried to flash CWM internally.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The 16GB Nook Tablet was released in the United States on Nov 17, 2011 (about 6 months ago). It is reasonably well-documented and a great deal of progress has been made on getting it to do cool stuff that its developers did not intend.

On February 21, 2012 (about 2 months ago) Barnes and Noble released an 8GB version of the Nook Tablet. It is much newer and most of the developers on XDA who were going to work with the Nook Tablet had already purchased 16GB devices by the time the 8GB was released; therefore, it is not documented nearly as well and many of its quirks are not as well known.

The purpose of this thread is to begin the process of documenting the differences between the two tablets. I spent a lot of time messing around with unsuccessful processes and asking questions to people who didn't know answers, and would like to contribute by saving that time for others.

By following this guide, you will be able to take an 8GB Nook Tablet out of the box and get it running an alpha version of CM9.

As of 04/25, CM9 for the Nook Tablet is an alpha state and many, many things do not work. I urge you not to try this yet unless you want to contribute to the development process, because you might irreversibly mess up your $200 toy. I am not responsible if you do this. Please, please do not try this unless you know what you are doing!

You will need:

• 8GB Nook Tablet (duh)
    • 1 MicroSD card that you don't mind wiping
    • Linux (I only know how to flash images to an SD card using Linux, if someone else wants to add Windows instructions it's appreciated, but honestly if you can't find your way around Linux you shouldn't do this)
    • ADB properly set up (there are other guides on how to do this, I will add it in later if necessary)
    • Some way of writing to a MicroSD (an SD reader preferably, you could use an android device but I would feel much safer with just an SD reader)
    • The recovery image from the bottom of this post (ignore the instructions, just get the image. Meghdoot please let me know if I can just include the direct link in this post.)
    • CM9 Alpha 0.03 zipped package from this post (filename: update-cm9-acclaim-alpha0.03-fullofbugs.zip)
    • Google Apps ICS flashable zip (optional, find it somewhere if you want it)

Actually flashing CM9 is not that hard. The problem is that we want to make sure we have a way out of any problems we might cause (maybe you get sick of CM9 for example.) There are slight differences between the 8 and 16GB versions of the NT. These differences make a lot of the recovery methods for the 16GB not work on the 8GB. Do NOT flash anything to your tablet unless you are sure it works for the 8GB model!

Overview: What We Are Going To Do To Your Tablet

1. Create ClockWork Mod Recovery SD card
    2. Back up your existing stock system
    3. Save rombackup.zip, which contains files that are critical to the Stock OS
    4. Flash CM9

Step 1: Create CWM Recovery SD Card

This step is the most important because it lets us do just about everything else. It is very important that you follow this step precisely and not cut corners; for example, it is tempting to use xIndirect's Nook Tab Recovery Flasher app because it downloads CWM and flashes it to your tablet so you don't have to mess with an SD; the CWM version it flashes will not work on the 8GB tablet, and once you realize this and use the app to "revert to stock recovery", you will find that you have reverted to a 16GB stock recovery. I made this mistake, and so far don't know how to undo it (hopefully I won't have to).

1) Get your SD card readable in your computer

Alternate, perhaps easier method: Copy the contents of this file onto the sd card. Either do this or steps 2-4 below, whichever you prefer.

2) Unmount your SD card, but do not remove it
    3) Unzip the CWM image you downloaded above, which should contain myrecovery.img

4)In Linux, do the following:
    Code:
    Don't know how to find what your SD card's mount point is? TURN BACK.

In Windows, do the following:
    lavero.burgos said:
    - Unzip the file

Once this is done you should be able to place the SD card into your Nook Tablet, power it down, plug the USB cable while it is off, and it will turn on, show the Nook logo, a white screen with a cardboard box, and then load up CWM recovery.

Step 2: Nandroid Backup

This should be the simplest way to have a plan B - if you want to go back to stock ever, this should do it.

1) In ClockworkMod Recovery, press volume down until Backup and Restore is highlighted; press the home key to select it.
    2) Choose "Backup to Internal Sdcard"
    3) After a few minutes, verify that the backup was successfully completed.

You should have about 3.5GB free on your eMMC before the backup, and the backup will likely take about 800MB. (Please chime in if your backup is bigger / smaller.)

Step 3: Get Rombackup.zip

This file is very important. In the event that your tablet is completely borked, we could try flashing an image of a stock OS to it; however, there is a file in the stock OS called rombackup.zip which identifies your Nook when it tries to connect to BN's services. If you flash someone else's image you will have someone else's rombackup.zip and BN will not let you in.

1) On Ubuntu, with your tablet in CWM Recovery, do
    Code:
    $ adb shell
    This will open up a terminal to your tablet, where you must type these commands VERY PRECISELY (!!!!):
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt
    mkdir /mnt/factory
    mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/factory
    exit
    2)After "exit", you will be returned to your Ubuntu terminal; from there do
    Code:
    adb pull /mnt/factory/rombackup.zip
    3) Put that file somewhere safe! Dropbox is a good idea.

Step 4: Flash CM9

1) Reboot your tablet into stock OS one last time.
    2) Mount your nook's storage to your PC
    3) Place the cm9 update zip file you downloaded above onto the nook's storage
    4) Reboot into CWM Recovery
    5) Choose "Install zip from sdcard"
    6) Choose "Choose zip from internal sdcard"
    7) Find the CM9 zip, flash it
    8) Find gapps (if you got it), flash it
    9) NOT OPTIONALChoose "wipe data/factory reset" (if not visible, press power button to go back)
    10) Reboot, pray

Your tablet should boot into a shiny new operating system. If you get tired of it, just restore stock using nandroid (takes seconds and works without a problem.) The experience within CM9 is not so different from the 16GB; however you will find since it only has 512MB of ram instead of 1GB, apps have to restart a lot more frequently than you would hope, because they are killed by Android's memory management if you hop to too many other apps. That's the tradeoff for the $50 you saved, cheapskate.

MANY THANKS TO:
    • The entire CM9 Nook Tablet team (too many to list)
    • Meghdoot for producing a working 8GB recovery + answering some ?s
    • fattire, bauwks, etc - for cracking the **** out of the security on these things
    • Anybody else I left out - this dev community just amazes me

Lastly - this is my first attempt at being useful on XDA, so please let me know if I made any mistakes, or if there is something you think I should add.
    Install CM9 v.04 on 8GB internal emmc

It looks like they have figured out what went wrong with v.04.:D

Here is the link to Succulent's "newboot.zip" file: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26686148&postcount=604
    And here are the simple instructions for how to make it work (if you want to start fresh & redo your setup or, if you still have v.03 on the Nook): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26694005&postcount=609

It worked for me and apparently for everyone that uses it.

Ok. Here is the process that I used to get back where I was on .03 before everything went into a boot loop. Due to the boot loop, I reverted to stock (actually Veronica's Ribbon Root).

1. Use CWM SDCard to flash CM9.04 (just to get the CyanoBoot going) (from OP here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23340987&postcount=1)
    2. Reboot and hold the N button to get into Cyanoboot
    3. Select "Start Fastboot"
    4. Connect computer via USB
    5. On the computer, use the terminal and cd to the downloaded recovery0.04.img file (from OP here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23340987&postcount=1)
    6. In Terminal, issue the command, "sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery0.04.img" (replaces the stock recovery with the CWM recovery from the OP)
    7. Put SDCard in Nook (card contains (previous B/U of CM9.03, CM9.04.zip, newboot.zip, and gapps.zip)
    8. Reboot the Nook and return to Cyanoboot
    9. Select "Internal Recovery"
    10. Restore Backup of CM9.03 (to get my settings back)
    11. Clear cache & Dalvik
    12. Flash CM9.04
    13. Flash newboot.zip
    14. flash gapps.zip
    15. Reboot system
    When it powered up, it came back to where my CM9.03 was at the last backup.
    Note: any time that you do a "wipe dalvik" on ICS, your first boot will send a dialog that says, "Android is upgrading, optimizing application XX of YY." It only last a few seconds and is totally normal.

Actually, I probably could have skipped a few steps by using the advanced options in restore to only restore the settings from .03 but I felt more comfortable doing it this way and it only took a couple minutes longer.

Anyt3.jpg

Thanks to all

I was about to post something quite similar today, but you beat me to it. Thanks!

It is OK to hit the "thanks" button. :cool:

Actually, you did us all a favor by specifically offering the NT8 instructions in the OP. So many posts do not define whether it is good for NT8 or NT16.

My take... If they don't say otherwise, assume that they are using an NT16. We NT8 users are the only ones that are concerned about the difference.

All of us working together get much more accomplished than if we work independently. My website (http://raywaldo.com) provides simple instructions to users who find all of the posts on XDA too confusing. The previous post is the kind of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) article that I have on the site.