[MOD]Volume Boost v1.3 (Headphone & Speaker! Easy Install! No Distortion!)

Search This thread

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
This mod will increase your volume output on any LG G2 variant running KitKat 4.4.x firmware!

I've packaged up a recovery flashable zip that will modify /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml on your device and increase the volume output.
Just flash it and you'll be boosted!

DOWNLOAD
Recommended Headphone Pack: 6520
If that's too loud you can try the 6218

Additional volume options here thanks to @willi_3609
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53779911 since I no longer have a g2 I won't be making any more updates.

Use at your own risk!
And please give feedback.

XDA:DevDB Information
[MOD]Volume Boost v1.3 (Headphone & Speaker! Easy Install! No Distortion!), Tool/Utility for the LG G2

Contributors
iXNyNe

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.3

Created 2014-04-01
Last Updated 2014-11-02

Last edited:

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
FAQ

Q: how do I install this mod?
A: flash it from recovery. You need a custom recovery like TWRP, CWM, Philz, etc.

Q: what devices can this be used on?
A: any LG G2 variant (d800/d801/d802/d803/d804/d805/ls980/vs980)

Q: will this work with my ROM/firmware?
A: any stock or aosp based KitKat firmware should work. If you have troubles, please post here!

Q: is this mod compatible with other audio enhancements (like viper or other equalizers)?
A: yes. It should work with any of them.

Q: does this mod cause distortion?
A: not that I have experienced. If it does for you, please post here! Keep in mind combining other audio enhancers or mods may cause distortion, but you would likely have that distortion just by using the other enhancer or mod alone without this mod.

Q: can you make it louder?
A: this mod should make your headphone volume pretty loud, but if it's still not enough and many people ask for louder I might make a secondary zip to increase it further.

Q: the zip file only has a META-INF folder! Where's the modified mixer_paths.xml?
-or-
Q: can I extract the zip and install it manually?
A: the zip actually modifies YOUR mixer_paths.xml so that it's only changing a few values and not completely overwriting whatever comes with your firmware. Because of this you can only install by flashing the zip.

Q: why did you choose 65 for RX1 Digital Volume and RX2 Digital volume? Why did you choose 20 for HPHL Volume and HPHR Volume?
A: on CyanogenMod (and I believe all aosp based G2 firmware) the highest value that is set anywhere in mixer_paths.xml for RX1/2 is 65. Likewise the highest HPHL/R found is 20. So I applied these values for headphone output which by default has lower values.

Q: what's the difference between RX1/2 and HPHL/R?
A: i believe RX1/2 are the digital volume, and HPHL/R are the analog volume. But I could be wrong.

The idea to modify this setting came from the following threads:
Make sound louder in all KK Roms and LG KK for F320 (update 16/02/14)
@MaZaGnGy

[FIX] Speaker playback distortion solution (CM11/AOSP 4.4 only)
@darkobas

[MOD] LG G2 Headphone/Speaker Volume Boost
@sil0 OP / @nismology Post #226

Last edited:

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
Changes

v1.3 / 20140412
-Added speaker 65 zip. This is separate from the Headphone mods so you can pick and choose if you want one or both.
-Renamed original zip to headphone 6520. This is the recommended pack for headphones.
-Added headphone 6218 zip for lower volume.

v1.2 / 20140403
-Should now work on any 4.4.x firmware (stock or aosp)

v1.1 / 20140402
-Set RX1 & RX2 Digital Volume to 65 (in addition to HPHL & HPHR to 20)

v1.0 / 20140401
-Set HPHL & HPHR Volume to 20

Download link now in OP

Last edited:

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
1.2 zip is borked. Look inside the zip :)

Make sure your download is correct. I checked my original local copy and compared to one I downloaded from the XDA thread and they matched exactly according to an md5 check.

File: lgg2_volume-1.2-signed.zip
MD5: ca:78:a8:29:df:47:69:18:2a:2c:ec:4f:61:6f:44:0b
SHA1: 16:bb:8f:42:58:11:31:d9:76:ea:50:0f:cf:e8:bd:1e:dc:ee:b7:4e

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
Make sure your download is correct. I checked my original local copy and compared to one I downloaded from the XDA thread and they matched exactly according to an md5 check.

File: lgg2_volume-1.2-signed.zip
MD5: ca:78:a8:29:df:47:69:18:2a:2c:ec:4f:61:6f:44:0b
SHA1: 16:bb:8f:42:58:11:31:d9:76:ea:50:0f:cf:e8:bd:1e:dc:ee:b7:4e

All I see inside the folder is the META-INF file...

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
All I see inside the folder is the META-INF file...

That's all it needs.
When you flash the script doesn't replace your existing mixer_paths.xml with a new one, just modifies the one your firmware provides.

Here is the code for the 1.2 updater-binary
Code:
 #!/sbin/sh

RECOVERY_SCRIPT_FD=$2
set -o pipefail

ui_print() {
    echo "ui_print $1" > /proc/self/fd/$RECOVERY_SCRIPT_FD
    echo "ui_print" > /proc/self/fd/$RECOVERY_SCRIPT_FD
}

mount /system
mount -o rw,remount /system

x=''
y=''
sed -i -e "s/$x/$y/g" /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml
ui_print "Digital Volume set to 65"

x=''
y=''
ui_print "Headphone Volume set to 20"

exit $?

Which reminds me I should have changed the print line to also mention the digital volume being set to 65.
Edit: never mind, it does on a different line, it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Last edited:

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
That's all it needs.
When you flash the script doesn't replace your existing mixer_paths.xml with a new one, just modifies the one your firmware provides.

Here is the code for the 1.2 updater-binary
Code:
 #!/sbin/sh

RECOVERY_SCRIPT_FD=$2
set -o pipefail

ui_print() {
    echo "ui_print $1" > /proc/self/fd/$RECOVERY_SCRIPT_FD
    echo "ui_print" > /proc/self/fd/$RECOVERY_SCRIPT_FD
}

mount /system
mount -o rw,remount /system

x=''
y=''
ui_print "Digital Volume set to 65"

x=''
y=''
ui_print "Headphone Volume set to 20"

exit $?

Which reminds me I should have changed the print line to also mention the digital volume being set to 65.
Edit: never mind, it does on a different line, it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Thanks. I feel like an idiot. Trying it out now :)

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
Also, it looks like XDA didn't correctly display the code I tried to post. Anyway you can look inside the META-INF folder and see the updater-binary

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
v1.2
-Should now work on any 4.4.x firmware (stock or aosp) QUOTE]

Will this affect/improve sound output on a bluetooth connection also? I'm using a small Logitech bluetooth speaker.

Sent from me to u...

This mod only affects the output volume of the headphones.

I don't think the Bluetooth output can be modified in the same way, but I'll look, and if it can I'll release a separate zip in this thread.

Reactions: forgiven90

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
I'll be experimenting with a second mod to increase the speaker volume today. Any volunteers to test?

Edit
Well the first experiment just lead to lots of distortion setting the speaker to 70. The stock speaker volume is satisfactory to me without modifying it, so I was only testing for my curiosity. It seems like ~65 is as loud as the speaker should be set (and it already is on aosp based firmware, and probably stock too).
I won't be making a speaker volume mod unless requested. If you really want it, send me your /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml file.

Last edited:

DrugsBunny

Jan 29, 2012
This mod is amazing made my headphones and portable speaker sound so much better i used to hate ASOP because of the poor sound quality but this boosts it and then some! Ive tried it on a few ASOP 4.4.2 ROMS and works perfect everytime using it on carbon rom atm good work!

Reactions: iXNyNe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This mod will increase your volume output on any LG G2 variant running KitKat 4.4.x firmware!

I've packaged up a recovery flashable zip that will modify /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml on your device and increase the volume output.
    Just flash it and you'll be boosted!

DOWNLOAD
    Recommended Headphone Pack: 6520
    If that's too loud you can try the 6218

Additional volume options here thanks to @willi_3609
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53779911 since I no longer have a g2 I won't be making any more updates.

Use at your own risk!
    And please give feedback.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [MOD]Volume Boost v1.3 (Headphone & Speaker! Easy Install! No Distortion!), Tool/Utility for the LG G2

Contributors
    iXNyNe

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.3

Created 2014-04-01
    Last Updated 2014-11-02
    FAQ

Q: how do I install this mod?
    A: flash it from recovery. You need a custom recovery like TWRP, CWM, Philz, etc.

Q: what devices can this be used on?
    A: any LG G2 variant (d800/d801/d802/d803/d804/d805/ls980/vs980)

Q: will this work with my ROM/firmware?
    A: any stock or aosp based KitKat firmware should work. If you have troubles, please post here!

Q: is this mod compatible with other audio enhancements (like viper or other equalizers)?
    A: yes. It should work with any of them.

Q: does this mod cause distortion?
    A: not that I have experienced. If it does for you, please post here! Keep in mind combining other audio enhancers or mods may cause distortion, but you would likely have that distortion just by using the other enhancer or mod alone without this mod.

Q: can you make it louder?
    A: this mod should make your headphone volume pretty loud, but if it's still not enough and many people ask for louder I might make a secondary zip to increase it further.

Q: the zip file only has a META-INF folder! Where's the modified mixer_paths.xml?
    -or-
    Q: can I extract the zip and install it manually?
    A: the zip actually modifies YOUR mixer_paths.xml so that it's only changing a few values and not completely overwriting whatever comes with your firmware. Because of this you can only install by flashing the zip.

Q: why did you choose 65 for RX1 Digital Volume and RX2 Digital volume? Why did you choose 20 for HPHL Volume and HPHR Volume?
    A: on CyanogenMod (and I believe all aosp based G2 firmware) the highest value that is set anywhere in mixer_paths.xml for RX1/2 is 65. Likewise the highest HPHL/R found is 20. So I applied these values for headphone output which by default has lower values.

Q: what's the difference between RX1/2 and HPHL/R?
    A: i believe RX1/2 are the digital volume, and HPHL/R are the analog volume. But I could be wrong.

The idea to modify this setting came from the following threads:
    Make sound louder in all KK Roms and LG KK for F320 (update 16/02/14)
    @MaZaGnGy

[FIX] Speaker playback distortion solution (CM11/AOSP 4.4 only)
    @darkobas

[MOD] LG G2 Headphone/Speaker Volume Boost
    @sil0 OP / @nismology Post #226
    Manually edit mixer_paths.xml

After I got stuck in bootloop twice when editing mixer_paths.xml myself (no custom recovery installed for flashing ZIP) I want to post the way I made it work finally.

Problem was when editing mixer_paths.xml with RootBrowser editor it did not open the file fully so when saving I ended up with a corrupted XML file. G2 did not boot up any more gut stuck on G2 logo. Even recovery mode refused to work. Only way out of this was forced upgrading firmware with G2 mobile support tool in download mode. Fortunately data was not overwritten so no harm done here :good:

Here are the steps to edit mixer_paths.xml manually and get your headphones up to level:
    1. copy mixer_paths.xml from \system\etc to your data storage
    2. copy the file to your computer (USB, ...)
    3. edit file with appropriate editor (I used Notepad++) - thik its important to keep the encoding which not all editors would do
    4. go to section "<path name="headphones"> " and edit
    "<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="56" />" and
    "<ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="56" />"
    to ->
    <ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="64" />
    <ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="64" />
    or some other value if you know what you are doing.
    5. The keys "HPHL Volume" and "HPHR Volume" I recon is not amplifying the output but much rather the protection level that will be applied when you plug your phones in - in order to protect your ears. So I would NOT set them to 20 unless you want to risk streching your ear drums :p
    6. save the file
    7. copy it back to your phone
    8. rename \system\etc\mixer_paths.xml to \system\etc\mixer_paths.orig (using RootBrowser or any other root explorer)
    9. copy your edited mixer_paths.xml to \system\etc\mixer_paths.xml
    10 reboot your phone
    11. enjoy! :laugh:

That steps worked for me and my headphone output is significantly louder now. Whatsoever Im not responsible for any damage to your phone or your ears!!! Listen responsible ;)
    Changes

v1.3 / 20140412
    -Added speaker 65 zip. This is separate from the Headphone mods so you can pick and choose if you want one or both.
    -Renamed original zip to headphone 6520. This is the recommended pack for headphones.
    -Added headphone 6218 zip for lower volume.

v1.2 / 20140403
    -Should now work on any 4.4.x firmware (stock or aosp)

v1.1 / 20140402
    -Set RX1 & RX2 Digital Volume to 65 (in addition to HPHL & HPHR to 20)

v1.0 / 20140401
    -Set HPHL & HPHR Volume to 20

Download link now in OP
    i installed the fix for hissing in kitkat rom. will this break the fix since it modifies the same file?
    There shouldn't be any issue with that.

Just to update everyone here, I no longer have a g2 so I haven't been on here much lately. Anyone having issues make sure you do a backup before flashing. If restoring your backup doesn't fix the problem then the problem existed before you flashed the mod.

Also ALWAYS be ready to reflash your ROM if you didn't make a backup first.
    There is no revert script, just reflash your ROM.

If the zip didn't change the values for you please post you mixer to pastrbin and I'll have a look when I have time (or someone here in the thread might get to it first).