[Q] BootLock and Cannot Format Partition 2

Search This thread

eldarion27

May 4, 2011
Okay, I was given this Bricked Acer 500 with the information that it was bricked "while rooting it". That's all of the original history I had.

It boots to the Acer logo, and no further.

When I first got it, I attempted to use the SD Card / update.zip technique to unbrick it. The first time, it got about 20% through, then stopped progressing, frozen for several hours. Retrying, it would go the the Dead Android without even loading the progress bar.

I was able to retrieve the CUID via Linux.

Attempting PBJ20upgrade (or DotNetDetector directly) from the root-3.2.1 package resulted in freezing at about 10% or so. Blackthund3r's APXFlash (packages 1 and 16) failed as well - it would set it into the state where APX Downloader was displayed at the upper right, then the next nvflash window would open and just sit there while "uploading" with no progress (even overnight).

Going back to the linux box (as per http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1579490), I attempted to manually nvflash, as per the following:
./nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create --odmdata 0xb00d8011 --bl bootloader.bin --sbk 0x2CA41E00 0xD489E106 0x3BC00504 0xD8292103 --go

It ran, but failed with the following information:

bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
setting device: 2 3
creating partition: BCT
creating partition: PT
creating partition: EBT
creating partition: GP1
creating partition: SOS
creating partition: LNX
creating partition: APP
creating partition: CAC
creating partition: MSC
creating partition: FLX
creating partition: AKB
creating partition: UDA
creating partition: GPT
Formatting partition 2 BCT please wait.. FAILED!
command failure: create failed (bad data)
bootloader status: specified partition is invalid or does not exist (code: 7) message: nverror:0x42008 (0x6042008) flags: 0

So far, the only post I've seen addressing this suggested the novel approach of baking the tablet at 200 degrees for 20 minutes!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52973503

Any better plans than baking the tablet would be appreciated.

eldarion27

May 4, 2011
Baked!

So far, the only post I've seen addressing this suggested the novel approach of baking the tablet at 200 degrees for 20 minutes!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52973503

Any better plans than baking the tablet would be appreciated.

Given the dearth of alternative recommendations, and the lack of anything to loose, I went ahead and baked it last night. Due to some futzing around, and fat-fingering Linux commands, it was several minutes before I got the flash started... the flash got through the BCT formatting, but failed when installing into the BCT a couple of minutes later (by which time the device had noticeably cooled).

I re-baked it tonight, got the flash running considerably quicker afterwards, and it successfully completed and launched into Android. How long that'll last I can't say, but for now I'm going to let it cool and see what comes of it.

If anyone's desperate enough to try this themselves... 200 degrees for 20 minutes. Pre-heating is advised, so that you don't overshoot-then-cool. I baked it in the case, screen down, on something that would stay flat and not get too hot itself (I used a wooden cutting board). There are threads talking about higher temps and shorter times, but you'd have to remove the mobo and only bake that piece, or the heat would destroy several other components.