[REVIEWS] - Quad-core vs. Octa-core comparison by PocketNow

Search This thread

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
Well the verge DID cover android 4.2 and LG nexus 4 at googles office last fall. They look fairly equal to android and ios.

The verge makes ok reviews because they are VERY VERY hipster. So their reasoning for some stuff sucks, but oh well.

I usually look at phone reviews at gsmarena because its more comprehensive, and technobuffalo because jon is honest and uses most devices from bb to android to ios.

Reactions: Bilhouse

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
Well the verge DID cover android 4.2 and LG nexus 4 at googles office last fall. They look fairly equal to android and ios.

The verge makes ok reviews because they are VERY VERY hipster. So their reasoning for some stuff sucks, but oh well.

I usually look at phone reviews at gsmarena because its more comprehensive, and technobuffalo because jon is honest and uses most devices from bb to android to ios.

You're right about TheVerge covering Android events, but what else are they suppose to cover as a tech blogspot? Covering an event about the biggest mobile OS is natural.

While their reviews are definitely much in depth, they also show ridiculous bias towards Apple products and Services. They also give them out-of-this-world review scores. TheVerge is also bias towards Google Services and products too except for Android (because Android is Apple's enemy number one)

They've been mourning about everything that has to with GS4 and particularly Samsung.

TheVerge loves to hate/badmouth/downrate Samsung (they've published many untrue/onesided articles in the past), Microsoft, and Windows phone.

Back to the topic,
I'm waiting for reviews from GsmArena (best review site IMHO), Android Police, Android Authority and TheVerge (I always like the criticism from haters too)

Last edited:

Mittaa

Jan 18, 2009
The design is basic, which is fine by me since I want to be able to change the battery and put in an SD card. Those are the mains reason the HTC One is a no go for me.

As for the "plain" looking exterior, let's be honest here: the first thing most of us do after buying a phone is to seal it up in a case to keep it safe so it's a moot point at best.

I just agree so much. I too goes for exchangeable battery, SD card option and Case combined with screen protection so S4 is fine for me :good:

People have different need and likes ... so I don't understand this war between 3 damned good phones!
Luckily they differ when it comes to material, SW and HW so people have a choice :)

Last edited:

Ddot196

May 7, 2011
Re: [REVIEWS] - PhoneArena first to review the beast with a score of...

First to review a non production unit? Maybe. They don't even have a final build yet so I will just wait for android central, the verge and a few others to release their reviews.

coming from the og one x

Bejtulla

Feb 14, 2010
You're right about TheVerge covering Android events, but what else are they suppose to cover as a tech blogspot? Covering an event about the biggest mobile OS is natural.

While their reviews are definitely much in depth, they also show ridiculous bias towards Apple products and Services. They also give them out-of-this-world review scores. TheVerge is also bias towards Google Services and products too except for Android (because Android is Apple's enemy number one)

They've been mourning about everything that has to with GS4 and particularly Samsung.

TheVerge loves to hate/badmouth/downrate Samsung (they've published many untrue/onesided articles in the past), Microsoft, and Windows phone.

Back to the topic,
I'm waiting for reviews from GsmArena (best review site IMHO), Android Police, Android Authority and TheVerge (I always like the criticism from haters too)

If You want a very technical review and based on facts, there's probably only anandtech.com to look after...

MarionCast

Oct 20, 2012
Re: [REVIEWS] - PhoneArena first to review the beast with a score of...

Damn. Samsung really stuck with the white theming on the UI. WHY?? So much for the Super AMOLED advantage of a dark/black UI...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Mobile Review camera test

Russian site Mobile-Review is the first to make an extensive camera test

http://translate.google.com/transla...iew.com/review/samsung-galaxy-s4-camera.shtml

"Total in one word - love. S4 camera in perfect and outperforms other phones, which proves that this comparison. Given that the product will be very widespread, we can expect that people will have more good quality photos that can only be welcomed."

Oh Google translate! The point is, it's an excellent performer and a big improvement to the SIII in all situations. IMO it's outstanding from sufficient to excellent light conditions, okay with tolerable lights but problematic as mobile phones are in low-light, but hands down beats the previous Samsung generation. ISO200 shots still produce enough quality as long as you can hold the phone steady (something that cripples the HTC One too despite slightly better overall night shots), where ISO400 and above deliver a lot of noise and blurriness. Video sample looks very sharp and detailed, and focus is rock steady compared to the HTC One that is slower to adjust to changing light, and disappointingly, re-focuses every few seconds. The SIV also rocks in white balance, skin color reproduction and dynamic range. There is an HDR mode if necessary. Of course quality could change till final release.

I offered some early analysis in the following posts:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39430986&postcount=149
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39254690&postcount=36
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39242645&postcount=34
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39285050&postcount=64

Reactions: i9100g user

ipsuvedi

Feb 9, 2012
Mumbai
Re: [REVIEWS] - PhoneArena scores it 9.3 / Russian camera test

I think Phonearena's Review was copy of GSmarena's Preview...lol...the review is so short that it feels they have rewriten gsmarena's Article...:p:D

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using xda premium

Reactions: Zahid Ali

joslicx

Apr 22, 2009
So as per phonearena S4 (9.3/10) is just about 2% better than HTC One (9.1/10)

Just about right as well methinks

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008

Probably because the lighting on this display saves supposedly 40 percent more power.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

sohebq

Aug 20, 2011
RAWALPINDI

Man it should be called as preview, I read that few days ago ans it looked so boring to me. The disappointing thing was when I reachd the last page and found that there is no video for the review. Gsm arena was 10 times better than that.

I am interested to see the improvement in camera. From gs2 to note 2, camera was horrible in auto focus and low light, ii really hope they have improved in this regard.

sent from: The New S-Pen :)

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Man it should be called as preview, I read that few days ago ans it looked so boring to me. The disappointing thing was when I reachd the last page and found that there is no video for the review. Gsm arena was 10 times better than that.

I am interested to see the improvement in camera. From gs2 to note 2, camera was horrible in auto focus and low light, ii really hope they have improved in this regard.

sent from: The New S-Pen :)

Reactions: sohebq

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Superb battery results by the Snapdragon 600 variant!

"The Samsung Galaxy S4 should get even the heaviest users through a single day, while most can expect two, three work days out of it. The battery life is pretty well balanced, with the Galaxy S4 getting near the top of the chart in every test, so it doesn’t matter if your personal usage patterns involve more talking or more web browsing, the Samsung flagship has excellent battery life. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is a good performer in the individual categories and thanks to efficient standby, it scored a very respectable endurance rating of 63 hours. That’s how long it will last between charges if you do an hour each of calling, web browsing and watching videos every day. While we’re here, we should mention that Samsung will be selling accessories for the Galaxy S4 to help with the battery life – one is a special back cover that enables wireless charging and the other is a dedicated charger for a second battery."

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-tests-are-done-heres-how-it-did/

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

optimus-gpro-battery-test.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

Last edited:

hung2900

Apr 3, 2012
Anyway quite disappointed with 3G talk time (and slightly with video watching time also), but from the points it nearly the same as Note 2 beast.

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Anyway quite disappointed with 3G talk time (and slightly with video watching time also), but from the points it nearly the same as Note 2 beast.
C'mon, it beats out the S3 almost by 4 hours, over 35% improvement.

Anyway, GSM Arena did a deep long comparison test between the S4 and the HTC One with some very interesting results.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

In design/HW it's a tie, HTC wins for the looks and built, S4 for small size, bigger screen and replaceable battery. It also takes the screen victory due to more contrast, improvement on natural colors and brightness and better outdoor legibility due to less reflectibitly despite the One is brighter. The Galaxy wins the battery race but it's tight if you're a heavy user, TouchWiz & features beat Sense. The HTC takes the audio and video quality W but in a surprise the S4 wins in low light by capturing more details - both needed several shots to get one results sharp and the One's OIS helped, but S4 takes the category as well is normal and good light, it's just a great overall sensor.

Conclusion is: it's not about who won more categories but which matter to you. GSMA review coming later this week.

Reactions: lonelyw and soraxd

hung2900

Apr 3, 2012
C'mon, it beats out the S3 almost by 4 hours, over 35% improvement.

Anyway, GSM Arena did a deep long comparison test between the S4 and the HTC One with some very interesting results.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913.php

In design/HW it's a tie, HTC wins for the looks and built, S4 for small size, bigger screen and replaceable battery. It also takes the screen victory due to more contrast, improvement on natural colors and brightness and better outdoor legibility due to less reflectibitly despite the One is brighter. The Galaxy wins the battery race but it's tight if you're a heavy user, TouchWiz & features beat Sense. The HTC takes the audio and video quality W but in a surprise the S4 wins in low light by capturing more details - both needed several shots to get one results sharp and the One's OIS helped, but S4 takes the category as well is normal and good light, it's just a great overall sensor.

Conclusion is: it's not about who won more categories but which matter to you. GSMA review coming later this week.

Many people will screw:"Biassss"
I think it's pretty fair.

Top Liked Posts