Samsung Galaxy K Zoom review for S4 Zoom users

Search This thread

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
But why give the K Zoom a new branding and then stop making them after a year? They have only made 2 zoom models, makes no sense.

The S6 camera might be good, but it has no decent zoom or xenon which means it's nothing special in my opinion.

Doesn't make sense as such, but then the K Zoom didn't sell that well. ATM the sales figures for the S6 and S6 Edge are flying so all factory capacity needs to be focused where the money is.

Also, xenon flash is not the answer to everything. It's low light skills don't need flash as much now. The S6 can zoom slightly without loss of image quality. Obviously not 20 x zoom :)

Personally I would love the K2 Zoom, but with the same processor and 14nm SOC as the S6 and then we would have a mind blowing device. Also need 16gb minimum internal storage. OR use 64gb sealed storage.

walker5538

Sep 13, 2014
Couple Questions

I know your post is about a year old, but hopefully you can help me out with a couple things...

I am currently as S4 owner. Recently, it has been causing me some issues and I'm looking to get the K Zoom as a replacement. One thing I keep seeing is that the K Zoom has xenon and LED, but I don't see it in the pictures. Is this misinformation? Does it had LED as well?

Also, how is the handling when taking a picture vs the S4 Zoom? Since it doesn't have the "bump", is it harder to steady and hold? And weight wise, I see that it weighs a little less, but is it balanced? Or does it feel a little top heavy like the S4 Zoom?

Is the software smooth? Not just the camera software, but the usage of the phone in general? Does it hang up at all? Have you had any issues?

In the time you've had it, would you steer me away for any reason?

Anxiously awaiting your response. Thanks!! :D

P.S. I apologize if these are answered elsewhere in this post. I read through most of it, but not all. Please feel free to direct me to other posts if you don't want to type it out.

As an ex S4 Zoom owner, I now have the K Zoom, and at the moment there is no dedicated thread. I've written quite a bit about the K Zoom since I've got it on Saturday.

Link to review and my 7 part S4 review http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/?s=Samsung+K+Zoom+review

Part 3 of the K Zoom is up tomorrow. If you click on any part of the review you will also see a link to the expanding K Zoom flickr set. Part 3 is a big part with camera specifics.

If you any questions I will answer them here.

The only bit I miss on the K Zoom from the S4 Zoom is the tripod mount is missing on the K Zoom. Otherwise , the K Zoom is better in every way.

Anyway, fire away any questions.

Last edited:

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
it has no LED flash, only xenon.
it's a bit trickier to hold in 2 hand, but not impossible.
the battery balances the weight out a bit, despite the big bump it doesn't feel top-heavy.
from my experience the stock software runs smooth, and even some heavy apps like Photoshop touch respond well.

my only warning is that you don't have much internal storage, if you like playing games the internal storage will fill up very quickly.

walker5538

Sep 13, 2014
Cool Gadget

For The flash LED, i use iBlazr

Inviato dal mio SM-C115 utilizzando Tapatalk

How cool! I didn't even know that something like that existed. I mainly take photos/video of my kids and now that I've had xenon, there's no going back. They move too fast and get blurred with any other phone. I've tried multiple apps and LED is just not sufficient. I also just like taking pictures in general and a great camera I always have with me has been great :).

I think I'll be ordering my K Zoom later tonight. I've read through this entire forum!

As a side note I would like to root, but know there's risks with that. Is there an app that will move app data to SD without root?

livio80

Sep 21, 2010
You can do it with no risk...I have root since I bought it! You can try with system tuners moving programs to SD but results are uncertain! You have to try.....

walker5538

Sep 13, 2014
Searching for a Case

Hi again. I ordered my K Zoom and it should be here by Friday!!

I am now searching for a case and I'm running into some issues. I would love an autopop cover, but it's really expensive and will take until early July to get here (United States). There is another case branded iMuca, which is a lot more reasonable, but again, it's coming from China. About the same time to get here. Would a $10 case that has a spiral cover like this (http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Zoom-G...F8&qid=1433189867&sr=8-3&keywords=k+zoom+case) work for now until I can get another one in? Or am I doomed to have dust accumulate before I can get another one here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :)

gavinfabl

Mar 23, 2005
Dartmoor
gavinsgadgets.com
Hi again. I ordered my K Zoom and it should be here by Friday!!

I am now searching for a case and I'm running into some issues. I would love an autopop cover, but it's really expensive and will take until early July to get here (United States). There is another case branded iMuca, which is a lot more reasonable, but again, it's coming from China. About the same time to get here. Would a $10 case that has a spiral cover like this (http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Zoom-G...F8&qid=1433189867&sr=8-3&keywords=k+zoom+case) work for now until I can get another one in? Or am I doomed to have dust accumulate before I can get another one here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :)

I am not sure if I still have any, I think I threw away my brand new Autopop case, but I will look tomorrow and let you know.

If I have it, I will post it to you, free if in the UK.

walker5538

Sep 13, 2014
K Zoom Flash

So I got my phone yesterday!! :) I'm loving it so far (although a huge screen for me with smaller hands), but I have a question about the flash. I see options for "off", "auto", and "fill in". I am looking to have the flash "always on". Not like a flashlight, but every time I take a picture, I want it to flash, sufficient lighting or not. Reason is because the flash really helps to freeze frame my kids. "Fill in" didn't really seem to work like I was hoping. I've gone through some settings, but haven't found any other flash options. Am I missing something? Thanks.

walker5538

Sep 13, 2014
Has anyone else noticed the s4 zoom seems to be a better quick shoot camera? I had such high hopes for the k zoom, but it's not really living up to my expectations. For still shots, it may be better, but the s4 seems to freeze motion a lot better. I take mostly pictures of my kids so I don't have time to adjust settings before snapping a photo. Are there settings that I can adjust for this? Also, the flash seems too bright and I must have it on indoors. Plus, it helps to stop motion. Any help is appreciated. If I can't figure this out, I may switch back to my s4 zoom...

Top Liked Posts