[APP] mClock,v2.2 released

Search This thread

knoxcoder

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2010
I uploaded my digital clock widget, mClock. I plan on adding more styles and/or options. Let me know what you think, what you would like to see as far as options go and whatever else.

I've attached the QR code and screenshots.

For the fonts in the screenshot I just grabbed some off the web and put them on the sdcard.
Fonts: 1979, Acens, Colwell, Orbitron-Medium, and the built in fonts.

Report bugs: http://bitbucket.org/knoxcoder/mclock/issues

Xml help http://www.maroonedsoftware.com

Templates (skins) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9856429

There is also a donate version, mClock.donate

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 15,122
  • qr.png
    qr.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 7,072
  • screenshot_5.jpg
    screenshot_5.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15,026
  • NewImage-1.jpg
    NewImage-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 13,585
  • mClock.apk
    128 KB · Views: 10,336
Last edited:

Poodlemastah

May 22, 2009
Malmö
Looks great so far!
I have some suggestions though,
First of all, I really want a real 24 hour clock instead of the 12 hour clock available.
4x2 widget would be awesome.
Perhaps custom date formatting, for example, I cannot currently do "Sunday, November 7". The default android formatting options would be nice i.e "EEEE, EEE, HHHH, MMMM, d and so on."
Perhaps click to open application..
Maybe shadow options?
Larger font size than 100px? I currently use 128px which perfectly fits my screen from side to side.
Separating different lines would be awesome, for example, I might want month and day number on one row and weekday on another.

Last edited:

knoxcoder

Jul 19, 2010
  • 24 hr clock: I have the code almost ready for that
  • 4x2 widget: Easy to add
  • Date format: Sunday, November 7 is already supported. You can turn off the year portion on any of the date formats and change the separator to ,(Space).
  • Click to open app: I've been thinking of a good way to handle this. I also need to allow clicking to open the options page. I've thought about dividing the clickable area to allow different launch options. If you have a good idea I'm all ears.
  • Shadow options: The blur effect overwrites the shadow. I haven't figured out a way to get both to work. I may settle for toggling between shadow or blur. But I did have the shadow working on a test build so it's doable.
  • Larger fonts: Easy to change
  • Different lines: That's where the different styles/formats come into play. Those take a bit more work but I do plan on providing that sort of thing.

Update to 1.3. Includes 24 hr clock, 4x2 widget and increased font max size

Last edited:

luckyyy

Mar 14, 2008
Vranje, Serbia
Exellent app mate! Congratulations! I m using it whole evening! So good, so far! I have no further wishes about this app! Loving it!

Poodlemastah

May 22, 2009
Malmö
About the click to open app, why not a application in the launcher for the settings?
24 hour clock option should disable AM/PM automatically?
Still not seeing 4x2 widget?

I like shadow because it can act as both solid blur, shadow and the color is configurable.
Blur seems cut off at top and bottom at big font sizes?

I know it's a hassle for almost no difference but perhaps render it as text instead of a bitmap?

I know I sound whiny but this app has so great potential and is already better than the rest of the clocks, simply awesome work. Love it. :D

knoxcoder

Jul 19, 2010
New update fixes the 4x2 issue. I forgot to add it to the manifest file... Also I disable the am/pm if 24 hour mode is on.

As for the shadow, I'll work on it next. Hopefully should have it ready tomorrow night. I have code already that allows you to select the shadow color, x & y offset and the shadow size. It should just be a matter of getting it all in shape and tested.

For the app launch. Do you mean put a item in the configure screen that will launch the app?

The blur getting cut off is a side effect of the clipping, I have an idea of how to solve that but I'm going to delay the fix for now.

I don't mind the suggestions, I like to know what can be improved.

Poodlemastah

May 22, 2009
Malmö
Seems the update service crashes(or simply doesn't start) a lot on 1.3.1 with the 4x2 size?
Text won't fill the 4x2 widget correctly, fonts seem limited to a too small size(only 24 hour clock, won't fit width)?
Another suggestion of mine, 24 hour clocks usually display a leading zero when the hour is a single digit?

What I meant with app launch was to have a normal app (the ones that show up in your app drawer ^^) for configuration and launch custom apps with the widget.

Last edited:

knoxcoder

Jul 19, 2010
Right now I have no clue why 4x2 doesn't work. It works on the emu but not on the device. The other sizes seem fine though. I'll look into it tomorrow.

fredmode01

May 3, 2010
My new favorite clock app !
What I really like about it is the way you can change colors.. gradient is a nice option.

Nice work mate !:D

sunnylovesalman

Jun 14, 2010
Kolkata
Upload the APK please

Could you please attach the APK file here for the comfort of downloading?

It would be a great help.

Thanks
Arindam

knoxcoder

Jul 19, 2010
Added the apk file to the original post.

New release now has shadows, more layout options, another clock format and some bug fixes. However I wasn't able to figure out the 4x2 widget issue so it's disabled for now.

knoxcoder

Jul 19, 2010
Figured out the 4x2 issue. Still trying to get a good design on handling the app launch feature. One problem is you can have multiple widgets so if I disable the tap to config then you'll have to delete and re-add to change options. One idea is to have a popup that you either choose the app or the config, not as great as just tap to launch.

Poodlemastah

May 22, 2009
Malmö
The clock seems kinda small, seems there is a lot of space to spare. See screenshot, bottom is the size I would want(Self-made clock widget), top is current size.
Awesome update man, 1.5 is simply awesome.
attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot_2.jpg
    screenshot_2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5,162

fredmode01

May 3, 2010
There's something "wrong" with the 1.5 version (market update)..

I've downloaded and installed your attached 1.4.1 file in first post just to be sure my eyes were ok..

When I set clock colours (white 100% and white 50%), the gradient is not as smooth as it used to be on 1.4.1 :confused:

knoxcoder

Jul 19, 2010
For the size not being as large as you want, try bumping up the font size and turning off clipping. Set the date's vertical alignment to bottom and the clock's to top. That should give you what you're looking for. And if the font size is maxed let me know and I'll increase it.

For the gradient issue. I know exactly what why it happens. I could go into tech details but basically to get the 4x2 working I had to reduce the rgba depth. I'll go back and increase it for all the smaller sizes.

VictorML

Oct 2, 2010
Hey knoxcoder, I LOVE your widget, but as Poodlemastah points out, there's this major drawback of not being able to launch our app of choice when tapping it. This is a must have for all clock widgets.

Most of us like to set our alarms by just tapping on the clock widget, and right now I find myself using TWO clock widgets because of this... yours because it's the best looking, and another one in the adjacent home screen just to launch the alarms app... lol.

Even if it means having to re-add the widget once you add this feature, I still think it will be worth it in the long term... it's just a must-have for most people.

As Poodlemastah has suggested, I think the behaviour most of us would expect is:

Both the "add -> widget" option from the home screen and the icon in the app drawer will take us to the config screen. There, we can set all the parameters as we want them (including which app to launch).

Now, as you've said, there can be multiple instances of the widget, so maybe the ideal setup would be being able to "save" different clock configs from the settings menu (without necessarily applying them to any instance), then choosing which one of them to apply at the moment we add the widget to a homescreen. That way, it wouldn't be such a hassle to re-add them everytime, because the config would be saved.

It would be a matter of making the user conscious of this change by just re-arranging the settings menu: when we open it, it shows the options "Create new clock...", "Edit existing clock...", etc. That way, they would realize each clock is saved independently, and they would be asked for a name first of all, so that they would actually remember what it was called when they want to load it up.

Example:

· I open mClock settings
· I'm presented with 3 options: "Add existing clock to home screen"; "Create new clock..."; "Edit/delete existing clocks...".
· I choose "Create new clock..."
· I'm asked for a name, I name it "My clock".
· I'm then presented with the clock settings screen, which I procceed to adjust to my liking.
· At the bottom, I see 2 buttons: "Save" and "Cancel". I click "Save".
· After that, I'm taken back to the settings screen.
· I now choose "Add existing clock to home screen".
· I'm presented with a list of the existing clocks already created.
· I choose "My clock".
· The clock is added to a home screen (the central one, I guess?), and I'm automatically taken there to see it.

Another way to add a clock would be to go to a home screen, choose the "add widget" option in the launcher, and choose "mClock", in which case I would be taken to the same settings menu as before. The only difference would be that the clock would get added to the same screen from which I called the "add widget" option.

I don't know if this would be such a big hassle to make, or if it's impossible at all, since I haven't done any Android development yet. I'm only talking from a usual programmer and UI designer point of view :)

Let me know what you think.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I uploaded my digital clock widget, mClock. I plan on adding more styles and/or options. Let me know what you think, what you would like to see as far as options go and whatever else.

I've attached the QR code and screenshots.

For the fonts in the screenshot I just grabbed some off the web and put them on the sdcard.
    Fonts: 1979, Acens, Colwell, Orbitron-Medium, and the built in fonts.

Report bugs: http://bitbucket.org/knoxcoder/mclock/issues

Xml help http://www.maroonedsoftware.com

Templates (skins) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9856429

There is also a donate version, mClock.donate
    You mean set it up so that it shows pacific when you are in eastern?
    I haven't seen any themes with a vertical line, nor can find an example here or on maroonedsoftware.com...

Is a vertical line possible? If so, how about a quick clue about how to make one?

Thanks!

Taking from the wiki. Change the y1 and y2 values to be whatever you want. y1 will be the start (top) position inside the parent. 0 will make it the very top. y2 is the end (bottom) position inside the parent. Whatever the height of the parent is the max. You can do something like this:

Code:
    <Line y1="0" y2="480" x1="10" x2="10" thickness="8" Foreground="#ffffffff, #77ffffff" Stretch="UniformToFill"/>

It will put the line on the x axis at 10 and y from 0 to 480 pixels. Does this make sense?
    /data/data/com.marooned.mclock/

?

That might work but if you uninstall the widget it will be removed, I'm also not sure what happens when you update.
    Happy Holidays

Just wanted to wish everyone a merry xmas and happy new year. Also I've been hard at work on the next widget. I've been focusing on the editor and I think everyone will be happy with it. You'll be able to add/remove any tag and edit all of the tag's options with in the config menu. So no more xml editing by hand.

attachment.php