[GINGERBREAD] Android 2.3 port from SDK for hero.

Search This thread

Keefo

Jan 9, 2007
My mirror Here

:edit:

flashed it, worked and booted pretty quick for first boot.

No setup etc, just booted up.

Ran very slow but you get to have a nice look at everything!

Good little teaser :)

Last edited:

stephenophof

May 16, 2008
Hardenberg
If you flashed Android 2.2 before, you don't have to wipe before you flash 2.3.
It will keep your settings (locales, some apps, etc.).

Android 2.3 on Hero gives me a LINPACK score of 3.8
So that's quite nice. I don't know why but I can't see the top bar (black bar with the time, battery status, etc.) on my screen.

I went back to Android 2.2 until Wi-Fi/3G/Radio is working :)

dkelley

May 11, 2010
Maple Ridge (close to Vancouver)
To be honest, as nice as it is to see gingerbread running as a proof of concept, I am not sure anyone will bother completing the port.

Don't take this as an attack on the devs, who have done a miraculous job of keeping the Hero relevant in a world of 3.7"+ screens and 1GHz processors. The Hero is just getting too long in the tooth now, and the hardware was very quickly outdated. Most of the people who bought one when it came out will be nearing the end of their contracts (mine is up next March) and I can't see it surviving as long as the G1 did simply because the hardware didn't rely on locked down proprietary drivers like the Hero does.

It was quickly ignored by HTC and superseded by devices of the Nexus spec, and I can't see it being able to cope much longer. It would be a really nice swan song for it to get 2.3 though, nice way to draw a line under it development. I hope someone proves me wrong and there are still talented devs with Hero's as daily devices, but as far as I can tell most of them (if not all) have moved on to bigger and better devices, and who can blame them?

EDIT: I will look at using the framework-res to create a theme for our hero's so we can at least pretend we have Gingerbread ;)

I have 28 months left in my hero contract. Roms matter. just sayin... :)

other than for my personal selfish desires though I 100% agree with you.

dkelley

May 11, 2010
oh, and congrats for putting up a build already! I'm CERTAIN it WILL be ported in a somewhat more functional state to the hero, even if I have to learn how to do it myself. But if I have to do it you guys can wait for a few months first while I sort out other things in my life and learn how to do it :)

cheers

dkelley

May 11, 2010
guys, just run your froyos and flash the gingerbread keyboard to give you the most obvious change from stock aosp froyo.

the look/feel of the OS claims to be so much better, but honestly.... erm... it looks pretty similar to froyo imho.

especially with all of the skinning going on around here... like elelinux's special edition... you might already have a better hero rom using a 2.2 version with the 2.3 keyboard or other third party keyboard than you would with a stock working (but non altered in any way) 2.3 rom on the hero.

Razje

Sep 7, 2010
guys, just run your froyos and flash the gingerbread keyboard to give you the most obvious change from stock aosp froyo.

the look/feel of the OS claims to be so much better, but honestly.... erm... it looks pretty similar to froyo imho.

especially with all of the skinning going on around here... like elelinux's special edition... you might already have a better hero rom using a 2.2 version with the 2.3 keyboard or other third party keyboard than you would with a stock working (but non altered in any way) 2.3 rom on the hero.

I totally agree, with all the skinners around here, and all the custom roms, you prolly already have a better theme than the stock 2.3 :)

theodoje

Dec 11, 2010
Keep up the good work :D

Im looking forward to it :D ill not download it until it's more stable and works more perefctly though :p

Ian_4614

Dec 27, 2009
UK
i dont get it... whats the benefits of this ROM then ? I have HTC Hero, and am more than happy with the rom I have, Floyo 1.1.9, Android 2.2.1 - What is the advantage of 2.3 ? is it worth the effort ?

Thanks in anticipation..

Ian:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HI all,

just do a quick port.you can run android 2.3 GINGERBREAD on your Hero now.
    but with many many not working hardware.

you can use this as a demo to exprence the UI improvement on android 2.3

the screenshot is in Chinese but the ROM is full language.

not working:
    wifi
    data/radio
    almost all...what a pitty...
    but i will do my best to make it work.

hope your guys like it.

Originally Posted by shaverdoff
    some people of friendly site 4pda.ru try to flash this rom and have error.. question to author of topic - how you flash it on you device? via m-recovery 162?
    I am too lazy to sign the zip file. please sign it before you flash it.in other way you can use ClockWorkMod recovery to flash this pacakge .ClockworkMod Recovery will not verify the signature.

http://bbs.goapk.com/thread-41684-1-1.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/435455200/update_signed.zip

1.png2.png4.png3.png
    5.png6.png7.png11.png
    To be honest, as nice as it is to see gingerbread running as a proof of concept, I am not sure anyone will bother completing the port.

Don't take this as an attack on the devs, who have done a miraculous job of keeping the Hero relevant in a world of 3.7"+ screens and 1GHz processors. The Hero is just getting too long in the tooth now, and the hardware was very quickly outdated. Most of the people who bought one when it came out will be nearing the end of their contracts (mine is up next March) and I can't see it surviving as long as the G1 did simply because the hardware didn't rely on locked down proprietary drivers like the Hero does.

It was quickly ignored by HTC and superseded by devices of the Nexus spec, and I can't see it being able to cope much longer. It would be a really nice swan song for it to get 2.3 though, nice way to draw a line under it development. I hope someone proves me wrong and there are still talented devs with Hero's as daily devices, but as far as I can tell most of them (if not all) have moved on to bigger and better devices, and who can blame them?

EDIT: I will look at using the framework-res to create a theme for our hero's so we can at least pretend we have Gingerbread ;)
    I just gave it a go and it's not too bad apart from the fact there's no data/wifi etc.
    I didn't do a wipe so all my apps came up fine and Launcher Pro was working too.
    It's pretty laggy as you can imagine but not as bad as I thought it would be and you do get those cool little animations when you get to the top of a list (the yellow/orange glow) but the screen off animation doesn't seem to be working.

There is a new downloads application which is pretty good to see your latest downloads but for now i'm back to CM6.1.
    There are other gingerbread rom with everything working! Why you want to try this??

Because he's one of these junior memers with 5 posts but an old account who are able to post in dev sections -.-"

Go and get Elelinux or OMFGB! this one here is dead.