[APP 4.1+] Button Savior Non Root V2 - Major update

Search This thread

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
========NOTE TO SAMSUNG USERS===========
To solve Talk back problem, please go to Settings/Application Manager/All and disable Disabling the Google TTS and Samsung TTS
===================================

Ever since my first release of Button Savior to Playstore, I can get almost 1-5 mails everyday from users questioning me why it doesn't work on their devices simply because they don't know what 'Root' is. Able to run Button Savior without root has then always been my first priority to do. Good news is since the introduction of Android 4.1, there is new APIs that allow me to develop Button Savior to run on regular, unroot, devices. So finally I can make a version for everyone who are not tech savvy. NOTE: For those who are already using Button Savior (root) on 4.1 and newer, you can install this version and uninstall the original one.

Button Savior is an Android system keys simulation app that allows user to mimic action of Back, Home, and Recent Task keys on screen. If you have a phone with broken hardware button, or you simply just want to get rid of the bottom system Bar to unleash more screen estate, Button Savior is for you to do that.

Button Savior (Non Root) is based on existing code of Button Savior (Root). So all themes and features are kept in this version too minus support of Search and Menu keys because they are not necessary in 4.1.

[Features in this version 2]
☆ (NEW) PopControl that allows you to add favourite action and use instantly.
☆ (NEW) Hover control supported for automatic Software Button visibility control with mouse or Samsung S-Pen
☆ (NEW) Free floatable trigger icon
☆ (NEW) Swipe to show Button Savior panel from both sides
☆ Simulates 'Home' 'Back' 'Recent Task' 'Screen Off' 'Volume' 'Camera' and 'Call' buttons
☆ Can set to always open or auto hide based on user customizable timer
☆ Two types of trigger action to choose from (Gesture trigger and Click trigger)
☆ Added Camera key and Call key simulation
☆ Customizable trigger position
☆ Also provides themese to support e-ink display
☆ Can change it to one click mode for super fast button action in option
☆ Can create shortcut action such as call someone or go to bookmark on Call or Camera keys. (With PRO)

[Screens]
screen1.jpg screen2.jpg screen3.jpg screen4.jpg

screen5.jpg screen6.jpg screen7.jpg screen10.jpg

screen11.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-45-01.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-45-11.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-45-27.png

Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-48-10.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-48-39.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-48-18.png

[Download Link]
(1) Get it from attachment (SWKey_nonroot53.apk is the latest one)
(2) Play Store Link: [Download]

Attachments

• SWKey_nonroot52.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 12,499
  • SWKey_nonroot53.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 8,006
  • SWKey_nonroot54_test.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,521
  • SWKey_nonroot59.apk
    2.3 MB · Views: 24,060
Last edited:

fanfan-liu

Aug 27, 2010
Thx Dev. I used your Button Savior before. But after I upgraded my phone to HTC OneX, I could't find a way to root it and was eventually getting tired of trying. Now finally found your non root version again. Thanks! I miss this feature on my phone a lot.:good:

asdf20

Jan 9, 2012
Hyderabad
Re: [APP 4.1+] on screen software keys simulation without root (Button Savior)

This app is not working on my s3. It says accessibility is not enabled even though I enabled it.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
This app is not working on my s3. It says accessibility is not enabled even though I enabled it.

Hi,
Did you toggle the switch to ON position? I developed this on my Nexus 7. So not sure how it looks like on G3. But I tried it on Galaxy Nexus. The position of toggle switch is not obvious. It is at top right corner when you select Button Savior in accessibility as illustrated in one of the pic in instruction.

asdf20

Jan 9, 2012
Hyderabad

Hi,
Did you toggle the switch to ON position? I developed this on my Nexus 7. So not sure how it looks like on G3. But I tried it on Galaxy Nexus. The position of toggle switch is not obvious. It is at top right corner when you select Button Savior in accessibility as illustrated in one of the pic in instruction.

Yes I have enabled it in accessibility as per the instruction in the app..but whenever I access any function it says me to enable in accessibility

fanfan-liu

Aug 27, 2010
I do notice one thing but not a big deal. Everytime I reboot my phone, I need to reactivate the setting again.

andrevs_ro

Feb 18, 2012

On press of ant function it says that the desired function cannot be performed as it is not enabled in accessibility

Same here! note 2
because of the large screen, this app is great for my phone
pls update :)
thank you!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
Any update on this?

Hi,
I tested on Note2 not on GS3 becasue her GS3 runs on 4.0.4. But everything things fine except the main app window seems not recognize accessibility status. Other than that, I can still click on button to get desired action. However, I have updated a test version on my attachment (SWkey_nonroot52_gs3.apk) . Can you help me to try it? I changed accessibility detection a bit and hope this one will work.

Reactions: asdf20 and Cyciumx

Cyciumx

Jan 24, 2011
Great work-around

The new GS3 version does indeed allow the home button of Button Savior to work without it shooting back into the app options to turn on accessibility. It still doesn't seem to detect it if you manually open up the apps menu though. What I mean is when you open up Button Savior's internal menu options, the first thing it does is popup telling you to change accessibility options, but it won't do that anymore while using the actual app.

EDIT: Basically... exactly what you said happened with that Note2. The app works flawlessly.

Last edited:

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
Any update on this?

The new GS3 version does indeed allow the home button of Button Savior to work without it shooting back into the app options to turn on accessibility. It still doesn't seem to detect it if you manually open up the apps menu though. What I mean is when you open up Button Savior's internal menu options, the first thing it does is popup telling you to change accessibility options, but it won't do that anymore while using the actual app.

EDIT: Basically... exactly what you said happened with that Note2. The app works flawlessly.

Thanks for your testing. A great news to know. Remaining issue is easier to fix. By the way Are you also able to use task and back keys?

Reactions: Cyciumx

jerryfan2000

Jun 21, 2009
kiumiu.wordpress.com
Just updated the Playstore version to 1.1 and attachment SWKey_nonroot53.apk with following changes. Thanks for people who have helped me to test.

(1) Fixed issue on GS3 an Note2
(2) Changed number of button option to Max 7 buttons

Note: If you are still seeing accessibility warning dialog popup in main app screen while it is actually turned on, please let me know. I only have Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 on hand. So can't easily see the root cause of this issue. Thanks for helping in advanced.

Reactions: Cyciumx

andrevs_ro

Feb 18, 2012

Setup window still showing wwhen enter the app settings but buttons are working perfectly!
Thank you dev! Great job! +1!
And now i will press the back button :))

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ========NOTE TO SAMSUNG USERS===========
    To solve Talk back problem, please go to Settings/Application Manager/All and disable Disabling the Google TTS and Samsung TTS
    ===================================

Ever since my first release of Button Savior to Playstore, I can get almost 1-5 mails everyday from users questioning me why it doesn't work on their devices simply because they don't know what 'Root' is. Able to run Button Savior without root has then always been my first priority to do. Good news is since the introduction of Android 4.1, there is new APIs that allow me to develop Button Savior to run on regular, unroot, devices. So finally I can make a version for everyone who are not tech savvy. NOTE: For those who are already using Button Savior (root) on 4.1 and newer, you can install this version and uninstall the original one.

Button Savior is an Android system keys simulation app that allows user to mimic action of Back, Home, and Recent Task keys on screen. If you have a phone with broken hardware button, or you simply just want to get rid of the bottom system Bar to unleash more screen estate, Button Savior is for you to do that.

Button Savior (Non Root) is based on existing code of Button Savior (Root). So all themes and features are kept in this version too minus support of Search and Menu keys because they are not necessary in 4.1.

[Features in this version 2]
    ☆ (NEW) PopControl that allows you to add favourite action and use instantly.
    ☆ (NEW) Hover control supported for automatic Software Button visibility control with mouse or Samsung S-Pen
    ☆ (NEW) Free floatable trigger icon
    ☆ (NEW) Swipe to show Button Savior panel from both sides
    ☆ Simulates 'Home' 'Back' 'Recent Task' 'Screen Off' 'Volume' 'Camera' and 'Call' buttons
    ☆ Can set to always open or auto hide based on user customizable timer
    ☆ Two types of trigger action to choose from (Gesture trigger and Click trigger)
    ☆ Added Camera key and Call key simulation
    ☆ Customizable trigger position
    ☆ Also provides themese to support e-ink display
    ☆ Can change it to one click mode for super fast button action in option
    ☆ Can create shortcut action such as call someone or go to bookmark on Call or Camera keys. (With PRO)

[Screens]
    screen1.jpg screen2.jpg screen3.jpg screen4.jpg

screen5.jpg screen6.jpg screen7.jpg screen10.jpg

screen11.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-45-01.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-45-11.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-45-27.png

Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-48-10.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-48-39.png Screenshot_2014-01-24-12-48-18.png

[Download Link]
    (1) Get it from attachment (SWKey_nonroot53.apk is the latest one)
    (2) Play Store Link: [Download]
    Any update on this?

Hi,
    I tested on Note2 not on GS3 becasue her GS3 runs on 4.0.4. But everything things fine except the main app window seems not recognize accessibility status. Other than that, I can still click on button to get desired action. However, I have updated a test version on my attachment (SWkey_nonroot52_gs3.apk) . Can you help me to try it? I changed accessibility detection a bit and hope this one will work.
    Any update on this?

Thanks for your testing. A great news to know. Remaining issue is easier to fix. By the way Are you also able to use task and back keys?
    Just updated the Playstore version to 1.1 and attachment SWKey_nonroot53.apk with following changes. Thanks for people who have helped me to test.

(1) Fixed issue on GS3 an Note2
    (2) Changed number of button option to Max 7 buttons

Note: If you are still seeing accessibility warning dialog popup in main app screen while it is actually turned on, please let me know. I only have Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 on hand. So can't easily see the root cause of this issue. Thanks for helping in advanced.

I don.t kniw how to explain better... for example, if i open a folder on the home screen, talkback will start (folder is open/ close), even if i deactivate talkback app.
    After i.ll root my device, i.ll unistall talkback to see what happens
    Even so, i don.t think this is a backbutton bug, because it happens the same with no led app. So maybe is just talkback...
    Hope this will help :)