Top side of the screen going darker / banding / burn-ins

Search This thread

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
First of all, let me say that prior to reaching the decision to open this thread, I did some quite extensive research on what I am going to talk about, but only found references to the smearing thing.

So, the problem, as quick as possible...

Do you use Tapatalk? I'm sure many of you do. You know how it's got a dark gray background, right? Well... that dark gray background... look closely. The bottom portion of the screen is going to be gray (actual gray!), while, as you go toward the top side, you'll see the color turning into a purple hue... :/

Same thing can be observed in the inverted version of Play Store (such as the one included in SlimKat) which has the same background as Tapatalk - dark gray.

I think that the top side of the screen is now displaying gray as darker purple because of the CPU (it's right there, heating the display all the time).

Anyone else experiencing issues like this one?

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
Thats normal with super amoled display.. I bought s4 recently and got this same issue and also some horizontal and vertical lines in the display which are only visible on low brightness.. I asked for replacement and after my phone replaced twice I got twice new phone with same issue.. I have also searched over net about this isuue and this problem is common in super amoled display.. so just make ur brightness more or equal to 50% and those issues will get vanished..

Sent from my GT-I9500

Reactions: Formhault

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
Thats normal with super amoled display.. I bought s4 recently and got this same issue and also some horizontal and vertical lines in the display which are only visible on low brightness.. I asked for replacement and after my phone replaced twice I got twice new phone with same issue.. I have also searched over net about this isuue and this problem is common in super amoled display.. so just make ur brightness more or equal to 50% and those issues will get vanished..

I know it is a common issue with Super AMOLED displays. Having owned the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2, I'm well aware of it. Just figured they have figured it out and made the displays much better in the Galaxy S4. Truth be told, I've owned this S4 for almost 8 months now, so it's done its job, lol.

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest

No. I'm on the old MGA bootloader, so no Knox. I haven't bought this phone from a retail store, but from a guy, who... RIGHT... he said he has a friend in Samsung store so it can act as a warranty. That was 7 months ago, though. Anyway, will give that a shot. Regardless, hope the issue I'm having doesn't spread and become worse!

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
I know it is a common issue with Super AMOLED displays. Having owned the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2, I'm well aware of it. Just figured they have figured it out and made the displays much better in the Galaxy S4. Truth be told, I've owned this S4 for almost 8 months now, so it's done its job, lol.

So u got the issue after using it for 8 months?? When u bought ur phone, ur phone was free from this issue??

Sent from my GT-I9500

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
So u got the issue after using it for 8 months?? When u bought ur phone, ur phone was free from this issue??

Yea, the screen was next to perfect when I bought it - if you disregard the white color being generally inconsistent across the entire screen, which is the case for almost every AMOLED display out there (to some extent). But the gray color was the same.

To be clear, my device is a I9505, not I9500. I hear there are some differences in screens between the two models, with the I9500 having a slightly warmer screen.

@coolkoushik07, @TRusselo... Are your screens acting up, too?

Last edited:

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
I have had a samsung captivate for a year and a half, an S3 for 8 months, and now a S4 for about as long, with never one screen issue (aside from dropping it)

Reactions: Formhault

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
I have had a samsung captivate for a year and a half, an S3 for 8 months, and now a S4 for about as long, with never one screen issue (aside from dropping it)

I'm assuming you did check thoroughly. Not like other people I know do, like, say, my girlfriend (glances quickly at the screen while in Chrome, observes nothing, thinks I'm crazy) :silly:

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
I'm assuming you did check thoroughly. Not like other people I know do, like, say, my girlfriend (glances quickly at the screen while in Chrome, observes nothing, thinks I'm crazy) :silly:

attachment.php

Retired Moderator and Recognized Developer?
No. I'm just like your girlfriend....
Gaw...

Attachments

• headbashwall.gif
    headbashwall.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 89

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my GT-I9500