[FAQ] Common Issues and Solutions for SGT7.7, now with JB (12 May 2013+)

Search This thread

Theory

Sep 21, 2008
After seeing similar questions get asked and answered several time over, I thought this might be helpful (not least for myself). No particular order for now. Feel free to propose additional Q/A or edits--I'll credit accordingly. Thanks to our moderator (original_ganjaman) for making this a sticky.

This is meant to be a quick reference that either briefly answers a question or links to the answer--for issues with more or less known solutions. This is not the best place to post new, previously unanswered questions.

If you found this FAQ useful, do click on the "Thanks" button on the left.

JELLYBEAN (Added 12 May 2013+)

Q1: Can it be that the wait is over?

Indeed. Some ten months after the ICS update to our beloved SGT7.7 (and the release of JB into the wild), the Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.2) update has finally arrived. As of now, the ROM for Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, and Malaysia (PDA= P6800DXMD3, CSC = P6800OLBMD3) is available; and only for the P6800 (not the P6810). If you device came from the appropriate locations and have an appropriate stock ROM, you should be able to update via Kies. Else, download the file from Sammobile.com (search for "P6800").

The two main methods for flashing the ROM (not counting officially via Kies) are ODIN, and MobileODIN (requires a rooted device before flashing). Instructions for using both can be found here. Flashing with MobileODIN can be done preserving root, which is convenient. I have upgraded my SGT7.7 (Hong Kong model) with the Singapore ROM, using MobileODIN, wiping cache and data (thus losing my old apps, etc.), but preserving root--apparently, doing it this way can help avoid some potential wifi issues (reported in the forums), and battery life.

Q2: What languages are available in the SEA ROM (PDA = P6800DXMD3, CSC = P6800OLBMD3)?

As the ROM is meant for Southeast Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Malaysia), the available languages are: English (UK), English (US), Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Malaysia, Tamil (?), Tieng Viet, Korean and Chinese (Simplified). A workaround for getting additional input languages is described in this post. Alternatively, you can also install swype (from Play Store), which has the option for downloading ton of additional input languages.

Developing...

ICE CREAM SANDWICH (Added 6 July 2012; edited 27 July 2012)

Q1: Whaa...?

As of the time of posting, the Android 4.0 ICS upgrade is only available via Kies for devices from Austria, and as more recently, Hong Kong. However, it is possible to download a copy of the respective ROMs from sammobile.com--search for "P6800" (3g/wifi version) or "P6810 (wifi only version). The .zip file is 590+MB. Be sure to get the correct ROM as the one for the P6800 will not work on the P6810 and vice versa. The ROMs do seem to work on devices from a variety of countries (not counting the Verizon 7.7). A list of languages supported in the Austria ROM can be found here. See here for discussion of the Hong Kong ROM.

The two main methods for flashing the ROM (not counting officially via Kies) are ODIN, and MobileODIN (requires a rooted device before flashing). Instructions for using both can be found here. Flashing with MobileODIN can be done preserving root, which is convenient. A detailed and guide using ODIN can also be found here.

It is also possible to flash with HEIMDALL--but just make sure that it is not Ver. 1.3.2 (1.3.1 works fine). The main bits: heimdall flash --cache cache.img --factoryfs factoryfs.img --hidden hidden.img --modem modem.bin --recovery recovery.img --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage; then CWM can be flashed with heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img (cgm999)

Flashing the ICS Rom over a STOCK Rom (both rooted and unrooted) preserves settings and most of the third-party apps, i.e., wiping is not required. (All told, this is also probably the safest way to proceed.) Mileage varies if flashing over non-stock Roms. (UPDATE--wintermute000 writes: "...doing a clear data/factory reset in locerra's Clockwork Recovery is 100% safe, the brick bug affects STOCK recovery.

More information on the brick bug and whether it affects ICS on the 7.7; also this.).

Some of the issues involving missing or non-functioning stock apps seems resolved if the a factory reset is done after flashing (settings>Back up and reset>Factory data reset; or when off, hold volume up and briefly press power to access option to factory reset). UPDATE--WildmanJoe writes: "...following a suggestion from another member on the board, I have found that it is not necessary to do a factory reset if your stock apps don't work. Just go to settings>applications and clear the data for the stock apps that don't work. It is tedious, however, it eliminates the factory reset brick risk..."

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BRICK YOUR DEVICE (see this discussion, and this.)

See here for a database of successful/unsuccessful upgrade configurations. (Do also contribute your own experience.)

Q2: What's it like?

As anticipated, the tab is way more responsive with ICS rather than Honeycomb. But having said that, ICS for the SGT7.7 does come with Samsung's 'enhancements', which means touchwiz (and no stock ICS Launcher). The Email, Contacts, Calendar ("S-Planner"), Messaging, Clock, etc. apps are also from Samsung. On the bright side, the unable-to-write-to-externalSD problem seems solved.

Q3: How do I modify the looks of it?

As with Honeycomb, an alternative launcher is still recommended (unless you have a special love for touchwiz). Possibilities include the old favorites ADW Launcher Ex, Go Launcher, LauncherPro, etc., but now also including those that only work with ICS and above: e.g., Nova and Apex. Furthermore, you can also install a status bar that looks (mostly) like stock ICS with this mod.

Q4: Can I install stock Google apps?

Search for "Android 4 ICS Calendar", "Android 4 ICS Messaging SMS" and "Android 4 ICS Launcher" by Tim Hutt in Play Store.

Q5: What about the Browser?

A Samsung tweaked version. You can always install Google Chrome (Play Store)--but this one does not work with flash--or Dolphin HD.

Q6: What about the keyboard(s)?

Comes with a Samsung keyboard, swype, and voice input. The version of Swype that comes with the Rom supports a limited number of languages, and there is no option to download more languages. If you want to use swype with other languages, go to the swype website, sign up for a free account, and follow the instructions to install swype beta. Swype beta can coexist with the version of swype that came with the Rom, and allows the possibility of installing additional languages (including Arabic, Korean, Chinese, etc.).

If what you want is the stock ICS keyboard, search for "IceCream Sandwich-ICS Keyboard" in the Play Store.

Q7: Can I root?

Yes and no. To be more precise: a rooted stock Honeycomb Rom can be upgraded to ICS via MobileODIN while preserving root. Update: here is a method to root the ICS rom.

HONEYCOMB (Older version of the FAQ)

Q1: Surely this thing with its speedy processor should feel more responsive?

A: First and foremost, this thing is very speedy and responsive (see e.g., this discussion). Ok, ok, the general consensus is that Honeycomb (Android 3.0) and Samsung Touchwiz (the default launcher) are holding back the otherwise stellar hardware a little. The only solution for the first is to wait for the upcoming Ice Cream Sandwish (Android 4.0) update, slated to be released July 2012.

What can--and arguably should--be done in the meantime is to change the launcher. ADW Launcher Ex*, Go Launcher, LauncherPro, and SPB all options. Apart from being much faster, more responsible and less of a resource hog, they are also much more customizable compared to Touchwiz (search in Market for various themes and icon packs). Some worry that since Touchwiz is not removed (it can't be on stock unrooted rom), it might still be in the background. If you are afraid that it is taking up valuable processor cycles, remove all homescreen widgets on Touchwiz to make yourself feel better, like I did.

*Jade Eyed Wolf has put up a very useful video tutorial on how to use ADW here (the thread is here). To get rid of the top statusbar in ADW, see this.

Q2: Is there a way to make the system font size larger without rooting?

There is an app for that; though this is probably be a better way for the those who have rooted their device (omarrabbat).

Q3: I am unable to write to the external sd card (from within Android) using anything other than the stock file manager; is there something wrong with me?

A: No, you're fine. That's how it is out of the box. The solution requires rooting (see Q4 below) the device and changing the permissions for the sd card. See here. (You can of course write to the sd card with Windows explorer after connecting the Tab to the PC via the USB cable.) Another method for solving the problem is available here; note that you will also need the device to be rooted, and have CWM Recovery installed, beforehand (lowem).

Q4: How do I get root access?

One guide is here; another (with instructions to unroot) is here.

Q5: Why can't I seem to change the lockscreen wallpaper?

Settings>Screen>Screen display>Lock screen. At which point you should be in Gallery (or if, like me, you have an alternative pic viewer--e.g., QuickPic--installed, the dialogue box should ask you to "select wallpaper from"...). Select photo of choice, but make sure to crop with Gallery, and presto. See discussion here.

Q6: How do I get movies and tv shows onto the tab?

See this discussion.

Q7: How do I connect my tab to my PC using a USB cable? Wireless?

Make sure that the appropriate drivers are installed on the PC (e.g., download and install Samsung Kies. When plugged in, Windows should recognize the tab as an MTP device, which allows one to browse both the internal storage and the external sd card in Explorer. The option to convert files as you copy to the device is not a good idea (see this). Best to do any conversion you want on the PC. It's safe to disconnect by simply pulling out the USB cable.

For wireless file transfers (and much more), try Airdroid, which works, and is free.

Q8: What's a good pdf reader for this baby?

There are several good choices: EBookDroid, Repligo, EzPDF, Mantano, Aldiko...

Additional input (for compiling this page) from: lousyfer, lowem, cgm999, Wildmanjoe, wintermute000

Last edited:

lousyfer

Jan 29, 2010
Reply from Samsung re: ICS for P6800

Dear XXXX,
Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care.

Unfortunately we do not have any details with regards to when an update will come for your device. Rest assured the development team are working on the next update and your issue has been noted .

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact Samsung Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting Samsung.
Kind regards,
XXXXXXXXXX

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Samsung team member, can you please pressure the product team to release an upgrade to this device as the screen fonts are so small its very difficult to use.

I have read in a number of forums that customers are not happy with this problem and some believe that it will be fixed with the release of ICS for this device.

I bought the product with the intention of using it for work and its painfull to read. I really hope something can be done to fix this urgently.

Kind regards

XXXX

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Q3: I am unable to write to the external sd card using anything other than the stock file manager; is there something wrong with me?

A: No, you're fine. That's how it is out of the box. The solution requires rooting (see Q4 below) the device and changing the permissions for the sd card. See here.

I can rite to SD card and device with windows explorer. i did not root. I am using windows 7.

Theory

Sep 21, 2008
Q3: I am unable to write to the external sd card using anything other than the stock file manager; is there something wrong with me?

A: No, you're fine. That's how it is out of the box. The solution requires rooting (see Q4 below) the device and changing the permissions for the sd card. See here.

I can rite to SD card and device with windows explorer. i did not root. I am using windows 7.

Thanks for the Samsung info. I was referring to writing the external sd from within Android. (See the linked discussion in the FAQ.)

Jan 26, 2009
7.7 and kies

hey there.. i got my tab 7.7 yesterday in singapore, official samsung store. now i try to connect it to kies but he always say me: your model is not working with kies 2.0.
i use it with my galaxy s 2, no probs, and also kies air.. nope..
i use last kies version and win 7 pro
n.b.: even in wifi, kies doesnt work and my S2 is rooted..

i need to sync with outlook, thats why i need kies..

thanks guys for a quick solution..:cool:

FarmBoi

Nov 27, 2011
Brisbane
Hi, a weird thing happened here. I paired my tab with two Bluetooth headsets and both work fine. Paired it with my laptop and another laptop, but it can't send or receive files from either. Any ideas?
P.s. thanks for the page!!

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium
I've used Bluetooth File Transfer app from the market on my SGS phone to send files to my paired GT-P6810. It works great. Remember though that BT is sloooow so use alternate, egWiFi, for large files.

scarytas

Aug 5, 2009
hey there.. i got my tab 7.7 yesterday in singapore, official samsung store. now i try to connect it to kies but he always say me: your model is not working with kies 2.0.
i use it with my galaxy s 2, no probs, and also kies air.. nope..
i use last kies version and win 7 pro
n.b.: even in wifi, kies doesnt work and my S2 is rooted..

i need to sync with outlook, thats why i need kies..

thanks guys for a quick solution..:cool:

I can't offer a solution but would be keen to see if anyone can. I have the same problem. My 7.7 3G just won't connect to Kies. I'm running Vista, but will soon have a new PC with Win 7, so will try again then.
No probs with my SG2

I can't offer a solution but would be keen to see if anyone can. I have the same problem. My 7.7 3G just won't connect to Kies. I'm running Vista, but will soon have a new PC with Win 7, so will try again then.
No probs with my SG2

Mine is running on kies with no problems. If useful I have win 7 and downloaded kies from Samsung website.

moetheone

Feb 18, 2011
Hi,
Had the same issue. Fixed it by deinstallimg Kies, make regclean, install Kies from scratch.
Worked fine for me ;-)

Theory

Sep 21, 2008
For Q3, found a slightly easier way via the "update.zip" method over at this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1458021

It's under Tab 7 Plus forum but I've tried it and it works for Tab 7.7 as well.

This is good. The original poster noted that the method "won't work for a device that doesn't have CWM Recovery installed." What about your own 7.7: was it rooted and did you have CWM Recovery installed when you use the update.zip?

lowem

Nov 2, 2011
Singapore
www.afternote.net
This is good. The original poster noted that the method "won't work for a device that doesn't have CWM Recovery installed." What about your own 7.7: was it rooted and did you have CWM Recovery installed when you use the update.zip?

Yes, my Tab 7.7 is rooted, using the root.zip method discussed here. And yes also to the second, I installed the CWM Recovery 5.0.2.7 discussed here.

Reactions: Theory

uncle_buckman

Jun 20, 2011
What is the LOST.DIR folder?

Can the folder itself or the files within them be removed?

Is there a safe way to remove the tablet from the connection a computer via USB?

Theory

Sep 21, 2008
What is the LOST.DIR folder?

Can the folder itself or the files within them be removed?

Is there a safe way to remove the tablet from the connection a computer via USB?

Not sure.

I've always just pulled my USB cable out. Doesn't seem to be any issue. I suppose it's more proper to effect it on the PC first.

Reactions: uncle_buckman

teiglin

Jul 7, 2011
Windows doesn't have an "eject" or "safely remove hardware" option for devices connected via MTP--at least, not one like it does for HDDs, flash drives, or other USB mass storage devices. As long as you're not using the connection it's fine to just unplug it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After seeing similar questions get asked and answered several time over, I thought this might be helpful (not least for myself). No particular order for now. Feel free to propose additional Q/A or edits--I'll credit accordingly. Thanks to our moderator (original_ganjaman) for making this a sticky.

This is meant to be a quick reference that either briefly answers a question or links to the answer--for issues with more or less known solutions. This is not the best place to post new, previously unanswered questions.

If you found this FAQ useful, do click on the "Thanks" button on the left.

JELLYBEAN (Added 12 May 2013+)

Q1: Can it be that the wait is over?

Indeed. Some ten months after the ICS update to our beloved SGT7.7 (and the release of JB into the wild), the Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.2) update has finally arrived. As of now, the ROM for Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, and Malaysia (PDA= P6800DXMD3, CSC = P6800OLBMD3) is available; and only for the P6800 (not the P6810). If you device came from the appropriate locations and have an appropriate stock ROM, you should be able to update via Kies. Else, download the file from Sammobile.com (search for "P6800").

The two main methods for flashing the ROM (not counting officially via Kies) are ODIN, and MobileODIN (requires a rooted device before flashing). Instructions for using both can be found here. Flashing with MobileODIN can be done preserving root, which is convenient. I have upgraded my SGT7.7 (Hong Kong model) with the Singapore ROM, using MobileODIN, wiping cache and data (thus losing my old apps, etc.), but preserving root--apparently, doing it this way can help avoid some potential wifi issues (reported in the forums), and battery life.

Q2: What languages are available in the SEA ROM (PDA = P6800DXMD3, CSC = P6800OLBMD3)?

As the ROM is meant for Southeast Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and Malaysia), the available languages are: English (UK), English (US), Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Malaysia, Tamil (?), Tieng Viet, Korean and Chinese (Simplified). A workaround for getting additional input languages is described in this post. Alternatively, you can also install swype (from Play Store), which has the option for downloading ton of additional input languages.

Developing...

ICE CREAM SANDWICH (Added 6 July 2012; edited 27 July 2012)

Q1: Whaa...?

As of the time of posting, the Android 4.0 ICS upgrade is only available via Kies for devices from Austria, and as more recently, Hong Kong. However, it is possible to download a copy of the respective ROMs from sammobile.com--search for "P6800" (3g/wifi version) or "P6810 (wifi only version). The .zip file is 590+MB. Be sure to get the correct ROM as the one for the P6800 will not work on the P6810 and vice versa. The ROMs do seem to work on devices from a variety of countries (not counting the Verizon 7.7). A list of languages supported in the Austria ROM can be found here. See here for discussion of the Hong Kong ROM.

The two main methods for flashing the ROM (not counting officially via Kies) are ODIN, and MobileODIN (requires a rooted device before flashing). Instructions for using both can be found here. Flashing with MobileODIN can be done preserving root, which is convenient. A detailed and guide using ODIN can also be found here.

It is also possible to flash with HEIMDALL--but just make sure that it is not Ver. 1.3.2 (1.3.1 works fine). The main bits: heimdall flash --cache cache.img --factoryfs factoryfs.img --hidden hidden.img --modem modem.bin --recovery recovery.img --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage; then CWM can be flashed with heimdall flash --recovery recovery.img (cgm999)

Flashing the ICS Rom over a STOCK Rom (both rooted and unrooted) preserves settings and most of the third-party apps, i.e., wiping is not required. (All told, this is also probably the safest way to proceed.) Mileage varies if flashing over non-stock Roms. (UPDATE--wintermute000 writes: "...doing a clear data/factory reset in locerra's Clockwork Recovery is 100% safe, the brick bug affects STOCK recovery.

More information on the brick bug and whether it affects ICS on the 7.7; also this.).

Some of the issues involving missing or non-functioning stock apps seems resolved if the a factory reset is done after flashing (settings>Back up and reset>Factory data reset; or when off, hold volume up and briefly press power to access option to factory reset). UPDATE--WildmanJoe writes: "...following a suggestion from another member on the board, I have found that it is not necessary to do a factory reset if your stock apps don't work. Just go to settings>applications and clear the data for the stock apps that don't work. It is tedious, however, it eliminates the factory reset brick risk..."

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BRICK YOUR DEVICE (see this discussion, and this.)

See here for a database of successful/unsuccessful upgrade configurations. (Do also contribute your own experience.)

Q2: What's it like?

As anticipated, the tab is way more responsive with ICS rather than Honeycomb. But having said that, ICS for the SGT7.7 does come with Samsung's 'enhancements', which means touchwiz (and no stock ICS Launcher). The Email, Contacts, Calendar ("S-Planner"), Messaging, Clock, etc. apps are also from Samsung. On the bright side, the unable-to-write-to-externalSD problem seems solved.

Q3: How do I modify the looks of it?

As with Honeycomb, an alternative launcher is still recommended (unless you have a special love for touchwiz). Possibilities include the old favorites ADW Launcher Ex, Go Launcher, LauncherPro, etc., but now also including those that only work with ICS and above: e.g., Nova and Apex. Furthermore, you can also install a status bar that looks (mostly) like stock ICS with this mod.

Q4: Can I install stock Google apps?

Search for "Android 4 ICS Calendar", "Android 4 ICS Messaging SMS" and "Android 4 ICS Launcher" by Tim Hutt in Play Store.

Q5: What about the Browser?

A Samsung tweaked version. You can always install Google Chrome (Play Store)--but this one does not work with flash--or Dolphin HD.

Q6: What about the keyboard(s)?

Comes with a Samsung keyboard, swype, and voice input. The version of Swype that comes with the Rom supports a limited number of languages, and there is no option to download more languages. If you want to use swype with other languages, go to the swype website, sign up for a free account, and follow the instructions to install swype beta. Swype beta can coexist with the version of swype that came with the Rom, and allows the possibility of installing additional languages (including Arabic, Korean, Chinese, etc.).

If what you want is the stock ICS keyboard, search for "IceCream Sandwich-ICS Keyboard" in the Play Store.

Q7: Can I root?

Yes and no. To be more precise: a rooted stock Honeycomb Rom can be upgraded to ICS via MobileODIN while preserving root. Update: here is a method to root the ICS rom.

HONEYCOMB (Older version of the FAQ)

Q1: Surely this thing with its speedy processor should feel more responsive?

A: First and foremost, this thing is very speedy and responsive (see e.g., this discussion). Ok, ok, the general consensus is that Honeycomb (Android 3.0) and Samsung Touchwiz (the default launcher) are holding back the otherwise stellar hardware a little. The only solution for the first is to wait for the upcoming Ice Cream Sandwish (Android 4.0) update, slated to be released July 2012.

What can--and arguably should--be done in the meantime is to change the launcher. ADW Launcher Ex*, Go Launcher, LauncherPro, and SPB all options. Apart from being much faster, more responsible and less of a resource hog, they are also much more customizable compared to Touchwiz (search in Market for various themes and icon packs). Some worry that since Touchwiz is not removed (it can't be on stock unrooted rom), it might still be in the background. If you are afraid that it is taking up valuable processor cycles, remove all homescreen widgets on Touchwiz to make yourself feel better, like I did.

*Jade Eyed Wolf has put up a very useful video tutorial on how to use ADW here (the thread is here). To get rid of the top statusbar in ADW, see this.

Q2: Is there a way to make the system font size larger without rooting?

There is an app for that; though this is probably be a better way for the those who have rooted their device (omarrabbat).

Q3: I am unable to write to the external sd card (from within Android) using anything other than the stock file manager; is there something wrong with me?

A: No, you're fine. That's how it is out of the box. The solution requires rooting (see Q4 below) the device and changing the permissions for the sd card. See here. (You can of course write to the sd card with Windows explorer after connecting the Tab to the PC via the USB cable.) Another method for solving the problem is available here; note that you will also need the device to be rooted, and have CWM Recovery installed, beforehand (lowem).

Q4: How do I get root access?

One guide is here; another (with instructions to unroot) is here.

Q5: Why can't I seem to change the lockscreen wallpaper?

Settings>Screen>Screen display>Lock screen. At which point you should be in Gallery (or if, like me, you have an alternative pic viewer--e.g., QuickPic--installed, the dialogue box should ask you to "select wallpaper from"...). Select photo of choice, but make sure to crop with Gallery, and presto. See discussion here.

Q6: How do I get movies and tv shows onto the tab?

See this discussion.

Q7: How do I connect my tab to my PC using a USB cable? Wireless?

Make sure that the appropriate drivers are installed on the PC (e.g., download and install Samsung Kies. When plugged in, Windows should recognize the tab as an MTP device, which allows one to browse both the internal storage and the external sd card in Explorer. The option to convert files as you copy to the device is not a good idea (see this). Best to do any conversion you want on the PC. It's safe to disconnect by simply pulling out the USB cable.

For wireless file transfers (and much more), try Airdroid, which works, and is free.

Q8: What's a good pdf reader for this baby?

There are several good choices: EBookDroid, Repligo, EzPDF, Mantano, Aldiko...

Additional input (for compiling this page) from: lousyfer, lowem, cgm999, Wildmanjoe, wintermute000
    Reply from Samsung re: ICS for P6800

Dear XXXX,
    Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care.

Unfortunately we do not have any details with regards to when an update will come for your device. Rest assured the development team are working on the next update and your issue has been noted .

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact Samsung Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting Samsung.
    Kind regards,
    XXXXXXXXXX

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Samsung team member, can you please pressure the product team to release an upgrade to this device as the screen fonts are so small its very difficult to use.

I have read in a number of forums that customers are not happy with this problem and some believe that it will be fixed with the release of ICS for this device.

I bought the product with the intention of using it for work and its painfull to read. I really hope something can be done to fix this urgently.

Kind regards

XXXX

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

so before I wanna install the custom rom..I use Nanroid Backup to backup the stock rom right??

yes
    Been on 4.1.2 Jellybean since earlier 2013 on my GT-P6800. For such a capable device, its starting the feel slow with
    my multitasking and multimedia. I've therefore been searching as I believe Samsung has forgotten about us. Its not looking positive
    to get a final official jelly bean.

A big thanks for all the work by the various developers hard at work. There are still lots of things out there but stability appears to be
    the problems. I'm looking for a replacement, we can deal with crashes, its android, apps crash, I often have the xda app crashing
    of my official jellybean with no mods and full reboots from time to time when using certain apps.

Anyway after searching, I think I've found the most stable update. I've not tried it but I've spent hours reading. 4.3 / 4.4 is just too far away
    presently. I think we need to maximize stability, its so much work for the developers, they can't keep going for this device.
    Will be trying this and hopefully using throughout 2014.

[ROM][4.2.2r1]p6800/p6810/i815](5OCT2013)PAC-Man ROM 4.2 Milestone1 release

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2330651

Thanks for all the hard work to all those involved.
    Windows doesn't have an "eject" or "safely remove hardware" option for devices connected via MTP--at least, not one like it does for HDDs, flash drives, or other USB mass storage devices. As long as you're not using the connection it's fine to just unplug it.