Working launchers list

Search This thread

Chelle01

Oct 3, 2012
I thought maybe we could all get on one page with launchers that work on rooted kindle fire hd. These work fine with no problems:
ADW ex
Nova launcher prime
Go launcher hd
FTL launcher pro

I also downloaded windows seven pro, it does work but it is a bit laggy and needs tweaking. (Yes I know, but I just couldn't help myself, wanted to try anyways)

Note to moderator: if you do not see a need for this thread, please delete.

Chelle01

Oct 3, 2012
No all have to be moved to system apps and modified, (see go launcher thread)
I really like Nova and go launcher hd.

HitlerWasFramed

Oct 28, 2012
I've tried 4 different launchers:

Nova Launcher 1.21- worked after installing, would not start on reboot

Go Launcher HD- works, but the background image doesn't size right/shifts every time you rotate the screen

Apex Launcher 1.3- would not install

Nova Launcher Prime 1.0.1- works, no hide dock feature

Nova Launcher Prime 1.2- works well, slow to start, most features functional

the best way to figure out if a launcher will work is to download it, move it to system/apps, change permissions to rw--r---r---, DON'T INSTALL IT, reboot your kindle, and it should prompt you you when it starts to choose a launcher

dank101

Oct 13, 2012
I've tried 4 different launchers:

Nova Launcher 1.21- worked after installing, would not start on reboot

Go Launcher HD- works, but the background image doesn't size right/shifts every time you rotate the screen

Apex Launcher 1.3- would not install

Nova Launcher Prime 1.0.1- works, no hide dock feature

Nova Launcher Prime 1.2- works well, slow to start, most features functional

the best way to figure out if a launcher will work is to download it, move it to system/apps, change permissions to rw--r---r---, DON'T INSTALL IT, reboot your kindle, and it should prompt you you when it starts to choose a launcher

Only SOME launchers need a reboot I got go launcher EX without a reboot

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Joomlar

Jan 1, 2012
Hi, I installed ADW launcher from play store buti have a problem. The default launcher is kindle launcher. How can i set to defaults my ADW launcher?

Joomlar

Jan 1, 2012
No, probles is bacause i installed adw from market. Now i download apk and isntalled from my root file manager rw permissiion and now it working.

Joomlar

Jan 1, 2012
Do you work nova launcher? I installed and restart but nova says: launcher is not responding...

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Go Launcher HD

I can confirm that this works.

Have to be rooted, and side load it using Root Browser, by copying it to /system/app

Didn't even have to restart it, hit the Home button and asked me which launcher I wanted to use.

GOOD BYE AMAZON GARBAGE LAUNCHER :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks! which launcher would you suggest? are there any you can just download off play without further ado?

Apex launcher works very well for me. Lots of controls - if you use 'em. Mostly, it just looks clean, and the maker took some pains to make sure that it worked well.
    Widgets menu doesn't open in go launcher. Help?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
    Seeing as the stock UI doesn't include the android widgets I believe Amazon have removed them from their forked Android. Not sure if finding the apk's for the widgets and putting them where they go on normal android devices would work, someone would have to try.
    You need to install a widget picker app. Stericson's kindlefree app does this for you.

I'm using kindle fire hd 7.2.3, unrooted, & allowed installationof 3rd party apps but when I try to install Apex Launcher or Go Launcher Ex or Go launcher HD it says that it installs but there's no evidence of it being installed even after reboot. So, I read here that someone suggested using "bar shortcut" downloaded and installed via 1mobile - but when I go there i can download 1mobile's apk but then Kindle says 'cannot open file' when I try to install it.

Sorry to be so lame .(I'm a noob to this site& to kindle, but not a noob to android and I have used Go Launcher on my android phone before)
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx

You must be rooted in order to install launchers, no way around it sorry.

If you need help rooting your kindle I suggest using prokennexusa's "How to" guide. It is specifically designed for those who are beginners at these sort of things:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

Afterwards also make sure to check out his "How to" for installing Go Launcher:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069668

Ultimately it is up to you though, it is YOUR Kindle after all. I hope this helped! ;)